Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

21 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't know what product this commercial is for but it has one of those twenty something quirky chicks who informs us that she's "mildly obsessed with numbers". Then it makes the sound that my phone makes when it rings, which if I'm not paying attention causes me to jump and it pisses me off because I don't give two shits about your stupid numbers obsession.

I think it is for some skin condition, but I am not sure.

I’m currently hating on the “We switched to Chevy” ads. I just love the one lady who says “Why did we switch to Chevy? Just look at it.” Well, I’m looking, and your new vehicle doesn’t appear to be remarkably superior to other vehicles on the road. 

And unless I'm mistaken, every last one of them switch from Fords. ??

28 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

And unless I'm mistaken, every last one of them switch from Fords. ??

No - we have one getting rid of a BMW, another a Ram truck. As a former Porsche owner, I can see a Chevy would be cheaper on maintenance. That puppy was expensive to maintain.

• Love 6

Once the Chevy gets to be about 5, maintenance will go through the roof.

The commercial that's driving me insane is the Panda Express one with someone singing Ring of Fire in Mandarin.   I don't like it at all, and then they seem to run it more than once during every commercial break.

And speaking of running commercials multiple times during the breaks - Animal Planet better get rid of that "We've got whaaaales!" one with the stupid vet who goes around accosting wild animals.  Or else.

• Love 1
On 4/5/2019 at 9:36 PM, Hyacinth B said:

Annoying ads? Insurance?

Esurance.

Dennis Quaid.

There's so much Dennis Quaid on my TV that every bleedin' male in every bleedin' commercial is starting to look like Dennis Quaid.

Or maybe they really ARE Dennis Quaid.

PLEASE - MAKE IT STOP !!!!!

I love me some Dennis Quaid.  Not enough to buy his insurance, but I think he’s McYummy.

as for John Cusack, I was never a Lloyd Dobler fan, but Martin Blank is my ideal fantasy man. 

and no, I don’t mind sitting on this couch all alone making faces at the rest of you!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 4/8/2019 at 3:45 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

The first "I've fallen, and I can't get up" ad appeared in 1989.  Happy 30th anniversary.

Avenge the fallen! Hee hee

On 4/8/2019 at 7:22 PM, KillingAdam said:

He and a certain someone who can't be named are Bestest Buddies.

I'm waiting for the day that he unveils the My Pillow condom.

Oh, but I bet it's super comfortable.  😀

• LOL 1

I don’t think I could have sex in a bed featuring a MyPillow.

The other day, I made myself some Kraft Mac & Cheese, but didn’t preface it with a tantrum. My mom didn’t come over and beam at me while weird music played and sunlight came streaming through my kitchen window. Kind of a letdown, tbh.

The whole Reese’s “Sorry, not sorry” crapola can go away now. My nieces used to say that all the time but thankfully moved on to the next hip thing. It’s hard to quantify the hatred I feel for that obnoxious voice snarkily slinging “Sorry not sorry.” Eat shit, dude.

• LOL 2
  • Love 11

My reaction to this doesn't fit into any of the threads, really, so here will do as well as any other.

While I am delighted to see that Ric Flair is still stylin' and profilin' after a couple of health scares, I am a little concerned by how the once full-throated "woo!"s now sound like the ad should be for a COPD medicine rather than Cumberland Farms(?).

14 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Is Kraft mac & cheese good enough to be called a reward, or is it just something the kid is happy eating after what was initially offered?

I remember the days of doing almost anything to get my kid to eat. We finally settled on this: If you don't want what we're having, go ahead and make yourself a peanut butter sandwich. There will be no dessert.

• Love 3

I didn’t even have that option.  It was “see you at breakfast.  That’ll learn you to finish your dinner.”

I’ve also seen a Toyota on one of those “We switched to Chevy” ads.

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 5

My great nephew (20) moved in with me a couple of months ago. He only wants to eat Kraft mac 'n cheese because it was something he learned to make at an early age. His mother does not cook, his step-father did some. About 2 weeks ago, my nephew was hit by a truck, he was on his motorized scooter in the neighborhood, he broke his femur, had a rod put in and was in the hospital for about 4 days. He's getting around pretty good with his walker now, no cast, and has modified his walker, added a plastic shoe box on the front to carry stuff, stole my grabber tool and my cane. But one of his first day home he asked me to make mac 'n cheese, the box stuff. They've changed their formula, it's not as bright orange and the flavor has changed. I don't like it much. I'm planning on making a better mac 'n cheese in the crockpot as soon as I can get a couple of the ingredients. It comes out differently every time because I use whatever cheeses are in the house. Trying to get him away from the box stuff.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

When my daughter (now 46) was very young, she was a favorite food eater. She went through a long phase when all she really wanted to eat was Kraft Mac & Cheese, she was required to eat some of what the family ate too. Then she wanted powdered tomato soup, I think it was Lipton's. We bought it by the case! Fortunately she outgrew all that and is a very healthy eater now.

That Mac & Cheese ad sort of brings back the memory of how much she loved the old Kraft Mac & Cheese. 

• Love 2

I love Kraft mac & cheese.  I largely avoid processed food, and of course I like the real thing, but I'm not a huge pasta fan overall, so, honestly, I crave that box of neon orange chemicals more often than the real deal since any of it is just eaten occasionally and for this particular pasta dish the box is this unicorn of tasty crap.  As long as that craving doesn't happen more than once every couple of months, I indulge it when it does. 

But I haven't seen the commercial that started this discussion; I don't like kids, hate brats, and really hate brats who are placated instead of reprimanded, so I'm curious, but none of my search terms are honing in on something I'm sure is the right one.  Link/embed, please?

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I was the only one who cared for any mac&cheese in our household of 4, so my mom never made it, but made sure that when we went out to eat, there was mac&cheese on the menu. That and the wee cups of baked beans were my favorites at Dubrow's Cafeteria on Miami Beach...followed by the wee cup of baked custard.  So, while I do eat mac&cheese now, it's *never* been Kraft's with the neon orange cheese.  I recall somebody (Franco-American?) had it in a can, but it was pale-colored cheese and really long noodles, not elbow macaroni. I did get that at home.  I also recall a phase where no matter where we went to eat, I'd order a grilled cheese sandwich. But I was never rewarded for obstinate behavior.

• Love 1

I was never a picky eater and ate whatever was put in front of me with few exceptions. One night my Mom served Beef-a-roni, and I didn't want to finish it. She wouldn't let me leave the table until I did. Turns out I was coming down with a stomach bug and was up half the night vomiting. I was never forced to finish a plate of food again.

• Love 6
On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:45 AM, NinjaPenguins said:

The whole Reese’s “Sorry, not sorry” crapola can go away now. My nieces used to say that all the time but thankfully moved on to the next hip thing. It’s hard to quantify the hatred I feel for that obnoxious voice snarkily slinging “Sorry not sorry.” Eat shit, dude.

The ads are for Milky Way, and yes, I hate people saying "sorry not sorry" about as much as "my bad". The one that takes place in a tattoo parlor really annoys me because the sign on the shop window in backwards, meaning I can read it from inside the shop and from my watching of tattoo competitive reality shows, I know they don't tattoo you freehand style. There is no way that guy would be seeing "No Regerts"  for the very first time.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

When my daughter (now 46) was very young, she was a favorite food eater. She went through a long phase when all she really wanted to eat was Kraft Mac & Cheese, she was required to eat some of what the family ate too. Then she wanted powdered tomato soup, I think it was Lipton's. We bought it by the case! Fortunately she outgrew all that and is a very healthy eater now.

That Mac & Cheese ad sort of brings back the memory of how much she loved the old Kraft Mac & Cheese. 

My son got to the age where he could make it himself (8 or 9) and by god, he made the wateryest shit you ever saw. Bleh.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Ubiquitous said:

from my watching of tattoo competitive reality shows, I know they don't tattoo you freehand style. There is no way that guy would be seeing "No Regerts"  for the very first time.

The artists on those shows made stencils because they were doing elaborate things. An artist doing something simple might choose to go freehand. It's not a good idea for lettering that should appear uniform, but the guy might have been in a hurry, and I can see the artist figuring that he could fix any irregularities once it was roughed out. He didn't know he was dyslexic?

Thanks for the mac & cheese commercial.  Surprisingly, I don't hate the kid.

It's two different meals - they're in different clothes - and in the mac & cheese meal, the girl does have a plate in front of her with most of the same stuff as the parents, she just also has a bowl of mac & cheese.  So it's not a scenario where she wouldn't eat any more of what her crazy mom was literally chasing her down with (insisting "one more bite" when the kid's objection was "I'm not hungry," not "I hate [whatever it was]") so Mom trotted into the kitchen and made her mac & cheese instead.  It seems instead that at another meal, they gave her mac & cheese as a side dish, and everyone was happy.

I don't have a problem with that, assuming she eats the rest of the stuff, too, and assuming they don't do this at every meal.  They gave her a really large portion, though. 

• Love 4

There are so many commercials that I am hating right now. I guess businesses or marketing companies just do not want to pay the extra money to run these campaigns past advertising psychologist. Anyway, I'm probably going to be visiting this thread quite a bit and I the ones I hate air. 

Let's start with the dang Seresto commercials. First off, the dog is not cute, and I love animals. Second, the fact that the dog keeps repeating the name of the product is annoying, and the voice of his voice actor is not one that I want to hear a lot of anyway. 

• Love 2

Here's another one: The Totino's Pizza Roll commercials. Why is the front room furniture talking and what does that have to do with pizza rolls? I expressed my frustration to my husband and he said, "Well, why did Pee Wee Herman's couch talk?" In my opinion, Pee Wee lived in a whimsical world so it was normal for his furniture to talk. In the Totino's commercial, there is just no reason for the furniture to be talking, even as far as whimsical commercials go. I compared it to Geico which probably has the most silly commercials on had, but at the end they always connect the whimsy to the product in at least a semi-logical way. For Totino's that is never established since furniture doesn't eat food. 

The commercial would have gone a lot smoother if they replaced the talking furniture with talking cats or dogs, and then when the pizza rolls come out, they smile and give each other dab and one says, "It's a good thing he's clumsy with his food." That way you have the whimsy, a link to the product since it is common knowledge that cats and dogs try to eat the food the falls to the floor and they just love from Totino's Pizza Rolls, and you even get a little chuckle at the end.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

The ads are for Milky Way, and yes, I hate people saying "sorry not sorry" about as much as "my bad". The one that takes place in a tattoo parlor really annoys me because the sign on the shop window in backwards, meaning I can read it from inside the shop and from my watching of tattoo competitive reality shows, I know they don't tattoo you freehand style. There is no way that guy would be seeing "No Regerts"  for the very first time.

The ads I’m talking about are definitely for Reeses. In the most recent, an obnoxious voiceover talks about how they put the candy everywhere, including chiropractors offices. They all end with the narrator sneering “Sorry, not sorry.” 

I do hate the Milky Way commercials too, and I don’t regert that.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

The Colonial Penn commercials with Alex Trebek just make me sad considering he's hawking life insurance and has been diagnosed with late stage pancreatic cancer.

I’ve always hated the “final expenses” insurance ads because when I lost my husband in 2005(he was almost 42 and I was 38), we had no life insurance, and I had to apply to Social Services for help with said final expenses.

3 hours ago, EMP15362 said:

There are so many commercials that I am hating right now. I guess businesses or marketing companies just do not want to pay the extra money to run these campaigns past advertising psychologist.

I thought they ran them by test audiences. If they are, they must be doing something that makes the people reluctant to be negative.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I’ve always hated the “final expenses” insurance ads because when I lost my husband in 2005(he was almost 42 and I was 38), we had no life insurance, and I had to apply to Social Services for help with said final expenses.

When my husband passed about 3 years ago out of nowhere, I went through the whole SS phone interview thing and the woman said, "I'm going to recommend that you get the lump sum payment." This payment was designed to help with "final expenses." The "lump sum" was a whopping $255. I had a one day service at the funeral home, no burial (he was cremated and I have his ashes) and it cost about five grand. I had zero qualms about spending the money on my husband who I miss so much, but the $255 certainly did not help much, that's for sure.

• Love 5

I need to have this Principal Financial commercial explained to me. My first impulse is to like it cause it's warm and fuzzy and family, ya know? But then I'm wondering how hosting your granddaughter for less than a year to finish her last year in HS would really screw up your entire retirement financial plan. Plus, the dad is relocating, not being fired or anything so I would assume he'd kick in for her expenses. (Also that girl looks mid-twenties to me FWIW)

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, SoSueMe said:

I need to have this Principal Financial commercial explained to me. My first impulse is to like it cause it's warm and fuzzy and family, ya know? But then I'm wondering how hosting your granddaughter for less than a year to finish her last year in HS would really screw up your entire retirement financial plan. Plus, the dad is relocating, not being fired or anything so I would assume he'd kick in for her expenses. (Also that girl looks mid-twenties to me FWIW)

I don't think it screwed up his entire retirement plan.  I think it screwed up his dream car because he bought her a car instead.  And, probably because she actually may be, she looks at least in her mid-20s.  Maybe she kept flunking.  or maybe he decided to bribe some SAT people and a sports coach to get her into college.

• LOL 3
1 minute ago, Katy M said:

I don't think it screwed up his entire retirement plan.  I think it screwed up his dream car because he bought her a car instead.  And, probably because she actually may be, she looks at least in her mid-20s.  Maybe she kept flunking.  or maybe he decided to bribe some SAT people and a sports coach to get her into college.

I guess I was just thinking about the part where he is sitting down with his financial planner who explains it might be tight but they can make it work.

1 minute ago, SoSueMe said:

I guess I was just thinking about the part where he is sitting down with his financial planner who explains it might be tight but they can make it work.

I think that meant that he can eventually get his dream car, too.  Otherwise he just swapped cars and there's no real point to the commercial.  Unless that girl eats a lot and is demanding a whole new wardrobe for her senior year, I really don't think there would have been that much expenditure besides the car.  Because like you said, I'm sure dad was sending money for her keep.  I think the meeting was all about buying her the car.

1 hour ago, configdotsys said:

When my husband passed about 3 years ago out of nowhere, I went through the whole SS phone interview thing and the woman said, "I'm going to recommend that you get the lump sum payment." This payment was designed to help with "final expenses." The "lump sum" was a whopping $255. I had a one day service at the funeral home, no burial (he was cremated and I have his ashes) and it cost about five grand. I had zero qualms about spending the money on my husband who I miss so much, but the $255 certainly did not help much, that's for sure.

What really irritates me is that death benefit has seen no cost of living increase in years, if ever. When my husband passed in 1997 the death benefit was the same $255 from SS. It is better than nothing but it doesn't make a dent in the true expenses related to a funeral.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Katy M said:

Unless that girl eats a lot and is demanding a whole new wardrobe for her senior year, I really don't think there would have been that much expenditure besides the car. 

Well, those facial masks don't come cheap, y'know...

10 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

What really irritates me is that death benefit has seen no cost of living increase in years, if ever. When my husband passed in 1997 the death benefit was the same $255 from SS. It is better than nothing but it doesn't make a dent in the true expenses related to a funeral.

That's why y'all are supposed to have life insurance. It's not up to the government to pay for your funeral.  I've already prepaid my cremation and plan on no funeral, so I'm good. My family won't have to ask SSA for any money. (But knowing my nephew, he will anyway.)

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

That's why y'all are supposed to have life insurance. It's not up to the government to pay for your funeral.  I've already prepaid my cremation and plan on no funeral, so I'm good. My family won't have to ask SSA for any money. (But knowing my nephew, he will anyway.)

I'm playing on being mauled and completely consumed by a pack of wolves.  

• LOL 7
  • Love 6
47 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I want to be thrown out in the woods.

There are places that will do that for you. You can also donate your body to "The Body Farm" in Tennessee where they study the decomposition of human remains for forensic science purposes. I shared an elevator with the head of that project at a conference once. I was so impressed. 

• Love 9
13 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

That won't even cover the obit, and it looks like local funeral directors have started talking families into adding frills like a color photo of the deceased. The government doesn't like to admit there's inflation. My state tax return has had the same exemptions, etc for decades, and it was a big deal when the IRS started adjusting the numbers on theirs.

On 4/10/2019 at 8:54 PM, friendperidot said:

My great nephew (20) moved in with me a couple of months ago. He only wants to eat Kraft mac 'n cheese because it was something he learned to make at an early age. His mother does not cook, his step-father did some. About 2 weeks ago, my nephew was hit by a truck, he was on his motorized scooter in the neighborhood, he broke his femur, had a rod put in and was in the hospital for about 4 days. He's getting around pretty good with his walker now, no cast, and has modified his walker, added a plastic shoe box on the front to carry stuff, stole my grabber tool and my cane. But one of his first day home he asked me to make mac 'n cheese, the box stuff. They've changed their formula, it's not as bright orange and the flavor has changed. I don't like it much. I'm planning on making a better mac 'n cheese in the crockpot as soon as I can get a couple of the ingredients. It comes out differently every time because I use whatever cheeses are in the house. Trying to get him away from the box stuff.

The formula has changed (I'm addicted to Kraft M&C - have been since I was a kid).  I have never made it to box directions - it makes it too watery - but I have adjusted the way I mix it.  I use real butter now, and I dump the powder in, and give it a good stir before I even add milk.  When I add milk, I do it by "splashes" and I keep stirring, until it gets to the consistency I want, and the powder is "melted".  Turns out better, IMO.  But for true M&C goodness, I make my own with sharp white cheddar, and I bake it - I do NOT make a sauce to dump on it.  As for boxed, generic just doesn't have the flavor Kraft does, and I HATE any of the boxed mixes that use liquid cheese.  Can't stand the texture.  **ETA: I make sure the butter is 100% melted and stirred well before I add the powder**

On 4/11/2019 at 10:24 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I was the only one who cared for any mac&cheese in our household of 4, so my mom never made it, but made sure that when we went out to eat, there was mac&cheese on the menu. That and the wee cups of baked beans were my favorites at Dubrow's Cafeteria on Miami Beach...followed by the wee cup of baked custard.  So, while I do eat mac&cheese now, it's *never* been Kraft's with the neon orange cheese.  I recall somebody (Franco-American?) had it in a can, but it was pale-colored cheese and really long noodles, not elbow macaroni. I did get that at home.  I also recall a phase where no matter where we went to eat, I'd order a grilled cheese sandwich. But I was never rewarded for obstinate behavior.

I loved the Franco-American M&C.  The sauce had the consistency of snot, but it tasted soooo good.  Mmmmmm….chemicals...….drooollllll…….

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 2

I’m confused by the DSW commercial with Mindy Kaling. The woman on there says, “I need to get pregnant” after seeing cute kid’s shoes. Then a guy pops up and says, “Hey, I’m Todd.” The woman looks like she’s wearing a wedding band, so  what is the point of this commercial? It seems like it’s stereotyping black guys as wanting to sleep with/get pregnant any woman with a pulse.

2 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I loved the Franco-American M&C.  The sauce had the consistency of snot, but it tasted soooo good.  Mmmmmm….chemicals...….drooollllll…….

Me, too!  Those long long noodles!

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Well, those facial masks don't come cheap, y'know...

Best email I've gotten all week said:

Before I die I want to swallow a bag of popcorn kernels. My cremation will be EPIC!

• LOL 9
  • Love 4