Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I’m currently hating on the “We switched to Chevy” ads. I just love the one lady who says “Why did we switch to Chevy? Just look at it.” Well, I’m looking, and your new vehicle doesn’t appear to be remarkably superior to other vehicles on the road. 

Oh well, at least Potsch isn’t in it.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

I realized today that the left and right side Twix commercials bug me.  And, I think it's just because they have gone on too long.  It was semi-cute at first, but come on, they're the same thing. I have half an urge to call their 800 number and complain that they got them backwards, or that I got two rights or two lefts and demand a refund.  The only thing that stops me is that I don't want to annoy some poor call center worker that had nothing to do with it.

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

I’m currently hating on the “We switched to Chevy” ads. I just love the one lady who says “Why did we switch to Chevy? Just look at it.” Well, I’m looking, and your new vehicle doesn’t appear to be remarkably superior to other vehicles on the road. 

Oh well, at least Potsch isn’t in it.

I can't stand that John Cusack is the 'voice'  for Chevy trucks. An asshole ranter like Dennis Leary for Ford, fine. Grumbly McTwang Sam Elliott for Ram, sure why the fuck not.

But wimpy wusshat John Cusack for Chevy trucks? BLOW ME. It boggles my mind that he managed to sucker the entire female population into believing that Lloyd Dobler is what he's actually like. IT ISN'T.

• LOL 3

I see in the checkout line at the grocery store that they are selling individually wrapped Twix - some labeled "right" others "left". Don't know if it's helping sales, but they are taking it about as far as they can go.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

"Many men are living with an aging prostate." Yes, 100% of them, in fact. 

But if you eat/shoot-up/apply whatever junk they're selling, you are subject to "less urges to urinate." Apparently side affects include less grammar. 

Super Beta Prostate!

Given your user name, I'm sure you appreciate that.

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

So much so, that a guy in Atlanta whose last name was Noid, took some Domino's employees hostage, demanding $100K. My BFF worked in the same strip mall where the Domino's was located and I was really concerned for her safety.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3032911/kidnapping-death-pizza-how-dominos-lost-its-mascot

"Their creation–the Noid–was one of the most inexplicably popular mascots in corporate history. "

FastCo has a different definition of "popular" than I do.

"The Noid’s bizarre popularity was probably helped by the fact that Domino’s Pizza chose Will Vinton Studios–creators of the California Raisins–to bring the Noid to life through Claymation."

Weird definition of "helped" too. I hated those raisins.

3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I see in the checkout line at the grocery store that they are selling individually wrapped Twix - some labeled "right" others "left". Don't know if it's helping sales, but they are taking it about as far as they can go.

As stupid as putting names on coke bottles,

• Love 3
On 4/4/2019 at 10:40 PM, KillingAdam said:

Fine.

More of a question, okay an actual question, what product is having the most annoying/disliked ads made right now?

...For me, right now it's insurance ads. the Geico caveman I loathed ALL OF THEM.

There's one for I think it's Progressive where some asshat is out RIDIN' HIS HAWG!!! and bleating out "Here I Go Again," by Whitesnake except it turns out he's DAYDREAMING WHILE GETTING MARRIED. Like during the actual ceremony. His bride and bridal party should have gangtackled him and taken turns kicking him in the balls.

There's another one also for Progressive (I think) where ANOTHER asshat is out RIDIN' HIS HAWG!!! and ramming into and MURDERING various birds, all with a stupid smirk on his stupid face.

Everyone involved should be tied down naked next to a fire ant nest.

Annoying ads? Insurance?

Esurance.

Dennis Quaid.

There's so much Dennis Quaid on my TV that every bleedin' male in every bleedin' commercial is starting to look like Dennis Quaid.

Or maybe they really ARE Dennis Quaid.

PLEASE - MAKE IT STOP !!!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, Hyacinth B said:

Annoying ads? Insurance?

Esurance.

Dennis Quaid.

There's so much Dennis Quaid on my TV that every bleedin' male in every bleedin' commercial is starting to look like Dennis Quaid.

Or maybe they really ARE Dennis Quaid.

PLEASE - MAKE IT STOP !!!!!

I'm dreading the day Hollywood decides to try and make him into the next elder statesman action hero replacing Liam Neeson.

8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I had a Coke bottle that had the name Ming on it.

It's actually an ancient artifact from the Ming dynasty.  I hope you didn't throw it out!

• LOL 10
  • Love 2

Peter Poppoff's Miracle Water- and now I see he has Miracle SEEDS! How many sad, poverty-stricken folks fall for this toxic moonshine? Yeah, it's free, but I guarantee the followup is 'donate to my 'mission' and your chance of getting big checks in the mail improves greatly'.

Sunsetter shades/awnings- actually, this ad is mostly just boring, but I was amazed recently to see that they've shot a new one. It's exactly like the old one, but with people in modern hair/clothing. The old one has to be from the mid 90's, and they still show that one periodically, too.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Peter Poppoff's Miracle Water- and now I see he has Miracle SEEDS! How many sad, poverty-stricken folks fall for this toxic moonshine? Yeah, it's free, but I guarantee the followup is 'donate to my 'mission' and your chance of getting big checks in the mail improves greatly'.

Sunsetter shades/awnings- actually, this ad is mostly just boring, but I was amazed recently to see that they've shot a new one. It's exactly like the old one, but with people in modern hair/clothing. The old one has to be from the mid 90's, and they still show that one periodically, too.

The way he says "MiraCLE waTER" is both teeth grindingly annoying yet oddly appealing.

I suppose this stretches the idea of what constitutes an ad, but fuck it. Have you seen this bit from Kenneth Copeland?

I haven't quite decided what is the most repulsive bit, the part where he attacks people for daring to approach someone like Oral Roberts whose ENTIRE LIFE is supposedly devoted to praying to God to help others and asking him to pray for them or someone they know, OR the bit about how commercial airplanes are nothing but long tunnels packed with DEMONS!!!!!

Now I know that modern day air travel is a dumpster full of steaming shit and chunky barf, with the belligerent drunks who spent the 2 hours preboarding getting piss their pants level drunk in the airportbar/lounge, as well as the crying/screaming babies and the asshat kid kicking the back of your seat and the person shoving EVERYTHING THEY HAVE EVER OWNED INTO THE OVERHEAD BINS and oh Christ just blow my brains out.

And here's an even more fun fact sure to grind your teeth down to the pulp, Copeland has a net worth of around $850,000,000 most of which is tax exempt 'cause he's a preacher.

Not that I've ever set foot in one before but the new ads for Buffalo Wild Wings ensure the only way I will EVER set foot in one is after I've been tasered into unconsciousness and dragged facefirst over concrete.

• LOL 3
10 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

The AARP Hartford Insurance Company is starting to get on my last nerves too.

I think you mean The AARP THE Hartford ads.  WTF is with calling it THE Hartford? And what is so freakin' funny to Matt McCoy riding shotgun with that guy?  I had to CALL the AARP to get them to take me off THE Hartford's mailing list. Their insurance was fairly reasonable the first year, but then the premiums nearly doubled. So much for senior discounts!

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I think you mean The AARP THE Hartford ads.  WTF is with calling it THE Hartford? And what is so freakin' funny to Matt McCoy riding shotgun with that guy?  I had to CALL the AARP to get them to take me off THE Hartford's mailing list. Their insurance was fairly reasonable the first year, but then the premiums nearly doubled. So much for senior discounts!

I checked with some insurance companies to see what their rates would be for my husband and I, and they were a lot more expensive than what we are paying now.

EVERY SINGLE ONE of the Nick Offerman/Megan Mullally commercials about SLINGING, but ESPECIALLY the one where Megan goes on and on and on and on about "putting on some musk" as if it's the biggest turn on and sexist thing EVARS!!!.

And of course, she's right, I mean could ANYTHING be a bigger turn on than someone who smells like they not only shit their pants but rubbed the shit over their entire body? 

I THINK NOT.

Everyone and EVERYTHING involved with this campaign along with everyone associated with Parks & Recreation* EXCEPT Aubrey Plaza** need to be fed into the industrial wood chipper than Offerman surely has out behind his woodworking shop.

*You might be saying to yourself, "Hey Parks & Recreation was AWESOME. It had Amy Pohler and that DELIGHTFUL weirdo Aubrey Plaza** and unfunny standup comic Aziz Ansari who makes me itch and nearly but not quite managed to RUIN Scrubs for me FOREVER. "

Of course you are entitled to your opinion.

For now.

But you are WRONG.

Except about DELIGHTFUL weirdo Aubrey Plaza**.

**Miss Plaza gets to prance-sashay away  and roam free because:

1) She is a DELIGHTFUL weirdo.

2) She was the voice of Grumpy Cat.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:40 PM, KillingAdam said:

Wendy's made some schlub named Herb their pitchperson and had a contest where they sent Herb across the country and if you saw him and screamed "Herb," you'd win like $50,000 and a bunch of Wendy's food.

Actually, that was Burger King.

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 4:31 PM, NinjaPenguins said:

They switch from a "real people" campaign and still manage to annoy me, although I am bemused that one the cards flipped to Chevy is "BMW" (or maybe it was "Volvo")... that seems like a major downgrade to me.

• Love 5
On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 2:01 PM, funky-rat said:

As for despised commercials, I really hate anything aimed at the elderly that uses scare tactics (their kids talking about the burden they left behind for not having enough insurance, the burden of having to care for them when they're sick, them falling and dying (EVERY YEAR PEOPLE DIE FROM FALLING!!!!), etc. 

Avenge the Fallen.jpg

15 hours ago, KillingAdam said:

Everyone and EVERYTHING involved with this campaign along with everyone associated with Parks & Recreation* EXCEPT Aubrey Plaza need to be fed into the industrial wood chipper

That's a funny way to spell Chris Platt! ;-)

On 3/27/2019 at 10:17 PM, Jamoche said:

Baby is not a proper noun!(*) For your baby, for the baby, for a baby, fine. For Baby - grr.

Does anyone in the real world ever use it that way? Seems like I've been hearing it in ads all my life.

(*) Unless she's Dirty Dancing. And you don't put her in a corner.

or if you're singing a John Denver song, He wrote it, he had a medium hit with it, as did Peter, Paul and Mary. I'm old, I like their music. For Baby or For Bobby. Actually, neither phrase is in the song.

• Love 2

Those terrible ads for Jenny Craig need to vanish like Chuck Cunningham. When that one woman asks, "What do you have to lose?" I always reply, "Your hard-earned, paying for chemical-laden alleged chef-crafted food." Dismissed!

And what is so freakin' funny to Matt McCoy riding shotgun with that guy?

Maybe he's thinking back to his time playing Lloyd Braun on "Seinfeld" and he's remembering how funny Jerry looked in those coke bottle glasses.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 4/2/2019 at 12:38 AM, KillingAdam said:

I think it's for Home Depot, but it might be for Target. It's one of those "order using our app because you are too lazy to actually come into our store and y'know, SHOP, and thus maybe enable us to give SOME of our employees a .01 cent raise. But thanks to your laziness that won't be happening. What might be happening is one of those employees becoming hooked on drugs and overdosing and dying. Seriously, your life can't POSSIBLY be so busy that you don't have half an hour to stroll around our MAGNIFICENT store. We've even got Caramel M&M's!!! In those huge 5 lb bags!!!! But NO, you're too lazy to do more than dick around on your phone and make our employees run all over the goddamn store plucking YOUR items off the shelves and holding them in a special place for you so you can just ooze your lazy ass in and pick up your stuff and flee" type ads.

I know, I just quoted another ad and I'll try to combine them when I'm finished catching up on 2 months of reading. But Killingadam, some of us order on line because we're old, we cannot walk a 10 mile round trip to Target and we do not have a car because 3 years ago, our nephew totaled ours and we have to live on SS retirement because the state we live in decided to not extend Medicare and so our employer cut jobs due to budget cuts, starting with the 3 oldest employees that were closest to retirement. And yes, somehow, it is our own fault that we spent our adult lives working at crappy paying, but satisfying low wage, not for profit jobs and didn't have enough saved to retire on because when one lives pay check to pay check just to pay the rent and utilities, that happens. Not everyone works in $100,000/year jobs, some of think that that year we made $30,000 was a pretty good year. And we did have a plan for retirement, it just wasn't all accomplished when the state made their decision. So, I order a lot from Walmart and Amazon and occasionally from Target. If Lowe's or Home Depot would deliver for free, it would help enormously. And a taxi is $30/round trip to Target, I go to the grocery store next door to Target once a month to get prescriptions refilled.

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

I know, I just quoted another ad and I'll try to combine them when I'm finished catching up on 2 months of reading. But Killingadam, some of us order on line because we're old, we cannot walk a 10 mile round trip to Target and we do not have a car because 3 years ago, our nephew totaled ours and we have to live on SS retirement because the state we live in decided to not extend Medicare and so our employer cut jobs due to budget cuts, starting with the 3 oldest employees that were closest to retirement. And yes, somehow, it is our own fault that we spent our adult lives working at crappy paying, but satisfying low wage, not for profit jobs and didn't have enough saved to retire on because when one lives pay check to pay check just to pay the rent and utilities, that happens. Not everyone works in $100,000/year jobs, some of think that that year we made $30,000 was a pretty good year. And we did have a plan for retirement, it just wasn't all accomplished when the state made their decision. So, I order a lot from Walmart and Amazon and occasionally from Target. If Lowe's or Home Depot would deliver for free, it would help enormously. And a taxi is $30/round trip to Target, I go to the grocery store next door to Target once a month to get prescriptions refilled.

This yes! Due to my medical problems I can't go into stores. Shopping online is the only way I can get the things I need. I had a relative who used to get me personal items when all this first started I always paid her but then decided she didn't want to do it anymore. Well I still need pads and stuff.

I completely understand your situation. I am so sorry. So many times its not that your lazy, or anything. But shit happens or keeps happening.  For me it was medical problems that kept popping up and ruining things. Along with doctors who kept blowing them off. I used up all my money and retirement money on medical bills on the first medical problem. I got a diagnose when back to work and got slammed with another one that left me unable to take care of myself. There's very little I can do. Medical bills, a lay off, and store closing wiped out most of my parents savings and retirement. Then Mom got sick and took care of the rest. My parents worked very hard and in the end it didn't matter. I really tried but medical problems kept me from getting anywhere.  There's a lot more people in similar situations then many realize.

• Love 6
On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:17 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Every time those come on, we make comments about how far Lloyd Braun has fallen.  He had that kick-ass job with the mayor's office, and then he was in Frank Constaza's garage selling computers (but in reality, he just liked to ring the bell).  He must be driving to Chinatown to get Jerry $50 of that gum that tastes like Lo-Mein again.  Such a pity - everyone liked him so much better than George.....even Mrs. Contanza…...

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Maybe he's been back in the institution? Serenity now.

Maybe he's finally abandoned the idea of making everyone in NYC wear nametags.  Plus, frozen yogurt is popular again.

• LOL 2

I will be glad when April 15th gets here -- there will finally be an end to those awful Turbo Tax commercials!  Gah IDKY but I just can't stand those young adults in those commercials....and those stupid robots, this tax season just can't end fast enough for me.

• Love 7

As for despised commercials, I really hate anything aimed at the elderly that uses scare tactics (their kids talking about the burden they left behind for not having enough insurance, the burden of having to care for them when they're sick, them falling and dying (EVERY YEAR PEOPLE DIE FROM FALLING!!!!), etc. 

HATE with a passion the old lady at the bottom of the steps. 

Also really hate My Pillow shill and his products. Stick your cross inside your shirt, you pharisee

• LOL 2
  • Love 19
1 hour ago, Dirtybubble said:

I will be glad when April 15th gets here -- there will finally be an end to those awful Turbo Tax commercials! 

Don't count on it. There are a lot of procrastinators, so tax ads usually keep going, although less frequently.

4 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

HATE with a passion the old lady at the bottom of the steps. 

Also really hate My Pillow shill and his products. Stick your cross inside your shirt, you pharisee

He and a certain someone who can't be named are Bestest Buddies.

I'm waiting for the day that he unveils the My Pillow condom.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, KillingAdam said:

He and a certain someone who can't be named are Bestest Buddies.

I'm waiting for the day that he unveils the My Pillow condom.

Doubtful, that sort thinks sex is for procreation only.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I don't know what product this commercial is for but it has one of those twenty something quirky chicks who informs us that she's "mildly obsessed with numbers". Then it makes the sound that my phone makes when it rings, which if I'm not paying attention causes me to jump and it pisses me off because I don't give two shits about your stupid numbers obsession.

• Love 3