Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Maverick

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Here's an idea.  Make a name for your product that people don't have to guess how to pronounce

The Japanese say the same thing about Lumber Liquidators.

  • Laugh 9

Share this post


Link to post

I’m annoyed by the Huggies commercial where the woman is bouncing her baby on her lap on the subway train, saying that her baby isn’t wet after 5 stops. If you look at everyone on the train, they are wearing long-sleeved shirts. The baby is wearing only a diaper, and a short-sleeved shirt. Does the mother really take her baby out in cold weather like that?

  • Like 3
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Deni said:

If you look at everyone on the train, they are wearing long-sleeved shirts. The baby is wearing only a diaper, and a short-sleeved shirt. Does the mother really take her baby out in cold weather like that?

Maybe everyone is dressed for working in air-conditioned buildings and the weather isn't cold.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Maybe everyone is dressed for working in air-conditioned buildings and the weather isn't cold.

God, I hated working in an air conditioned office. Goodbye cute sundresses and strappy sandals and hello sweaters and boots on 80 degree days.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Deni said:

I’m annoyed by the Huggies commercial where the woman is bouncing her baby on her lap on the subway train, saying that her baby isn’t wet after 5 stops.

Maybe urine keeps the baby warm.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 11

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Since it's a Japanese company, doesn't that mean they had a choice in how to translate their name from its native script into a Latin character set? Pronunciation shouldn't have been an issue if their marketing department/company had gotten it right.

There's a pretty standard transliteration between Japanese and English. It doesn't really require any creativity in the English spelling. Generally Japanese characters are a syllable rather than an individual letter. So it doesn't really have the same concept of "these characters are sometimes pronounced this way or sometimes pronounced that way" that English does.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

There's a pretty standard transliteration between Japanese and English. It doesn't really require any creativity in the English spelling.

So it's a standard transliteration that's at fault? Longer representations of each syllable would have reduced, if not eliminated the ambiguity.

Share this post


Link to post

I don't really understand what you mean? I don't think more (English) characters would help. But I'm probably the wrong audience since I can read Japanese (ish) so I know what the possible vowels are. There's only one way to pronounce ra-ku-te-n. If it were supposed to be ra-kyu-te-n it'd end up spelled that way. If the question is about which syllable gets the emphasis, the spelling doesn't help there either.

The thought bubbles on this chart might make it make more sense (the company name isn't spelled in hiragana but this illustrates the vowel issue):

http://www.textfugu.com/resources/hiragana-chart/

Share this post


Link to post

I posted awhile back my distaste for the truck commercial...the "tailgate" one.  The one where everyone is singing "nah nah nah nah hey hey goodbye" ... and congregating on a hill.  Well.  They are playing it continuously during the NCAA tournament.  March Madness, indeed.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

[small voice]I love that song.[/sv]  The whole song, not just the part they sing at stadiums.

Edited by smittykins
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Maybe everyone is dressed for working in air-conditioned buildings and the weather isn't cold.

That's what I thought too.  No one on the train was wearing a winter coat, so how cold could it be outside?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, smittykins said:

[small voice]I love that song.[/sv]  The whole song, not just the part they sing at stadiums.

Love the song. Hate the commercial.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I swear, I am not a grump. I love Universal, I love Disney, I love everything Harry Potter. But every time the Universal Studios commercial where the guy says, "We are literally going to Hogwarts right now" comes onscreen, I yell at the TV, "NO, YOU ARE NOT LITERALLY GOING TO HOGWARTS! If you were literally going to Hogwarts, you'd be going to the real Hogwarts! And there IS no real Hogwarts!" 

Why couldn't they have just had him say, "We're going to Hogwarts right now" so it wouldn't mess with my last nerve every time I hear it? (I have started to lunge for the remote every time it comes on, so I'm doing better now, LOL.)

  • Like 14
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, kirinan said:

I swear, I am not a grump. I love Universal, I love Disney, I love everything Harry Potter. But every time the Universal Studios commercial where the guy says, "We are literally going to Hogwarts right now" comes onscreen, I yell at the TV, "NO, YOU ARE NOT LITERALLY GOING TO HOGWARTS! If you were literally going to Hogwarts, you'd be going to the real Hogwarts! And there IS no real Hogwarts!" 

Why couldn't they have just had him say, "We're going to Hogwarts right now" so it wouldn't mess with my last nerve every time I hear it? (I have started to lunge for the remote every time it comes on, so I'm doing better now, LOL.)

That reminds me of a local radio commercial that always made me scream my head off.  It was for a smoking quit line.  They asked someone how he decided to call the quit line and stop smoking. He said "ironically, I heard one of these commericals. and called."  I swear screamed "That's not ironic" every time that commercial ran.  Jeeze louise, that's the exact opposite of ironic.   I'm demanding everyone take a remedial vocabulary class.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

That reminds me of a local radio commercial that always made me scream my head off.  It was for a smoking quit line.  They asked someone how he decided to call the quit line and stop smoking. He said "ironically, I heard one of these commericals. and called."  I swear screamed "That's not ironic" every time that commercial ran.  Jeeze louise, that's the exact opposite of ironic.   I'm demanding everyone take a remedial vocabulary class.

It’s ironic if he was buying cigarettes at the time. 

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, Katy M said:

That reminds me of a local radio commercial that always made me scream my head off.  It was for a smoking quit line.  They asked someone how he decided to call the quit line and stop smoking. He said "ironically, I heard one of these commericals. and called."  I swear screamed "That's not ironic" every time that commercial ran.  Jeeze louise, that's the exact opposite of ironic.   I'm demanding everyone take a remedial vocabulary class.

You mean it's not like raaaain on your wedding day?

  • Like 8
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

It’s ironic if he was buying cigarettes at the time. 

It's ironic if he decided to buy cigarettes because of the commercial.

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/20/2019 at 12:53 PM, smittykins said:

Confession:  My apartment has a dishwasher, and I’ve never used it(and I’ve lived here almost a year).  I live alone, and it would take probably at least a week to amass a full load like they recommend, and it’s just quicker to wash them by hand.

I used to live (also alone) in an apartment with a dishwasher (one drawer in the entire kitchen, but I had a dishwasher 🙄). I mostly used it as a drying rack after I washed dishes by hand (little counter space; didn't need a countertop rack taking up any of it). I think I actually ran the thing once or twice in the year I lived there (and it didn't seem to work that great, anyway).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:52 AM, Deni said:

I’m annoyed by the Huggies commercial where the woman is bouncing her baby on her lap on the subway train, saying that her baby isn’t wet after 5 stops. If you look at everyone on the train, they are wearing long-sleeved shirts. The baby is wearing only a diaper, and a short-sleeved shirt. Does the mother really take her baby out in cold weather like that?

What's worse to me is that the mother pulls out the side of the diaper to see if the baby has pooped. Please never do that when you're sitting next to me on public transportation.  Keep it inside your and their pants.

  • Like 7
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Brookside said:

What's worse to me is that the mother pulls out the side of the diaper to see if the baby has pooped. Please never do that when you're sitting next to me on public transportation.  Keep it inside your and their pants.

THIS.  Seriously.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I don't really understand what you mean? I don't think more (English) characters would help. But I'm probably the wrong audience since I can read Japanese (ish) so I know what the possible vowels are. There's only one way to pronounce ra-ku-te-n. If it were supposed to be ra-kyu-te-n it'd end up spelled that way. If the question is about which syllable gets the emphasis, the spelling doesn't help there either.

According to their ad, the correct pronunciation is RACK-uh-ten and spelling it "rackuhten" would probably work for that. I'm not sure there's a good way to translate the syllables individually  in a generic way that'll get you an unambiguous ra-ku-te-n. A "koo" would probably work more often that "ku", but the last two really need to be done together.

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/22/2019 at 12:57 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

The Japanese say the same thing about Lumber Liquidators.

Rachel and Jun (of JunsKitchen) have an interesting video about why native Japanese speakers have trouble with L and R. (He's Japanese, she's American, and they live in Japan. And I want her hair.) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4MsJHn-lRA

I have mixed feelings about the chewy.com commercials. If you need advice on what to feed your puppy, ask your vet! And how exactly is he supposed to help you put together a crate over the phone? But on the other hand, puppy! 🐕

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I have mixed feelings about the chewy.com commercials. If you need advice on what to feed your puppy, ask your vet!

The point of  that chewy.com commercial is the pet didn't like the food the person ordered and they wanted to return it. Chewy told them to donate the food to a shelter, they would refund his money, and send a sampler to see what food the pet liked. A vet isn't going to tell you what kind of food your pet likes.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, chessiegal said:

The point of  that chewy.com commercial is the pet didn't like the food the person ordered and they wanted to return it. Chewy told them to donate the food to a shelter, they would refund his money, and send a sampler to see what food the pet liked. A vet isn't going to tell you what kind of food your pet likes.

No, that's a different one (that's a picky-eater cat). This is a woman asking for advice on what to feed the new puppy, while her hapless husband struggles to put together a crate. 

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/IpW1/chewy-com-puppy-training

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Most vets don't know much about nutrition (at least feline nutrition, but I suspect it's the same for canine) - thus all the Hill's and Royal Canin for sale in many clinics.  Not that a random customer service rep for a pet food & supply company would be better, but - may not be any worse.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Katy M said:

It's ironic if he decided to buy cigarettes because of the commercial.

Nah, that's just everybody's reaction to a The Truth ad - even if they've never smoked.

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

Really, though, you should have the crate put together and have toys, the collar and leash, and even puppy pads BEFORE you get the puppy home.  And ask the breeder or shelter or whatever place you got the puppy BEFORE you bring the puppy home what it's been eating and buy the same food.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Most vets don't know much about nutrition (at least feline nutrition, but I suspect it's the same for canine) - thus all the Hill's and Royal Canin for sale in many clinics.  Not that a random customer service rep for a pet food & supply company would be better, but - may not be any worse.

I have to jump in and say veterinarians do take nutrition courses that allow us to understand peer-reviewed evidence-based scientific information about diets for all species (sans humans).  That is exactly why there are products like Hill's and Royal Canin available.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

You mean it's not like raaaain on your wedding day?

You have inspired me to create my own Uber-like company that offers free rides, only if you're already at your destination.

  • Laugh 12

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

You have inspired me to create my own Uber-like company that offers free rides, only if you're already at your destination.

This made me second guess myself, so I looked it up to be sure.  The line is "It's a free ride when you've already paid," not "...when you're already there," which is I think what this is referencing.

Share this post


Link to post

OK, so my company will offer free rides to customers who have already paid.

I have never been very good at understanding song lyrics. For the longest time, I thought Bono was singing "I believe in King Kong" in the song "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For."

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Brookside said:

What's worse to me is that the mother pulls out the side of the diaper to see if the baby has pooped.

It bugs me when people put their diapered baby on the counters at fast food restaurants.  I don't want your kid's butt that close to where my food is going to be.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/21/2019 at 4:23 PM, Suzn said:

ITA  So very many commercials show children ruling the house, the family, everything!  The children decide what food they will be served (so many little snowflakes will only eat chicken nuggets); they decide what they will wear (the little girl who will only wear her princess dress or sheriff costume); they even have say so over the choice of the family vehicle.  I don't mean that children should not have some input in areas about their own lives, but what we see non-stop is children dictating to their parents in all matters.

Ugh. The car commercial with the brat who says "Mine" about everything, and then gives mom the evil "I will get you for this" non-smile when mom asks if she's excited about baby sister..... 

I hate this commercial so much that I've even suppressed what brand of car it's for. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

The people behind the newer Progressive commercials should be locked in a small room and made to watch the stupid commercials over and over again as a punishment. If the rest of us have to suffer seeing them, the people behind them should have to suffer with the rest of us.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I don't even know what product it's for, because I run screaming every time the commercial comes on, but every four or so words are "For Baby".  And they say those words louder than the others.  Make...it.....stop.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

I don't even know what product it's for, because I run screaming every time the commercial comes on, but every four or so words are "For Baby".  And they say those words louder than the others.  Make...it.....stop.

A-MEN!  For baby for baby!  I think it is a Gerber commercial; remember when those were cute and adorable?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

A-MEN!  For baby for baby!  I think it is a Gerber commercial; remember when those were cute and adorable?

No.

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I don't even know what product it's for, because I run screaming every time the commercial comes on, but every four or so words are "For Baby".  And they say those words louder than the others.  Make...it.....stop.

Oh, thank you! I hate that commercial way out of proportion to what they're selling -- baby food -- but it sends me into a tooth-gnashing rage every time until I can mute it. I have nothing against babies since I actually used to be one, but this ad makes me want to smash something. Aargh.

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

We're all friends here, right? Because I have to vent about the stupid fucking Ice Breakers commercials with the stupid fucking unicorn. The latest one is just the limit. Chick gets a text from some dude and she busts through the wall of his apartment on her SFU. Aaarrrggghhhh!

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

Didn't want to quote the whole string, but somebody upthread comments on how annoying the 'kids rule the household'-type ads are. I'm putting one out there to add to those: Emgality(I think) some kind of medication for migraines- mom is now good to go, and they're gonna play 'Pirates'! They have elaborate yet Etsy-like costumes and a wheelbarrow decked out as a boat. Then they run around the backyard dressed in equally elaborate hand-crafted monster or spaceman costumes. 

I am old, but I is this honestly how modern families spend their time and energy? This seems like pure fantasy for normal families that (by my observation) mostly revolve around fast foods and staring at device screens.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

Didn't want to quote the whole string, but somebody upthread comments on how annoying the 'kids rule the household'-type ads are. I'm putting one out there to add to those: Emgality(I think) some kind of medication for migraines- mom is now good to go, and they're gonna play 'Pirates'! They have elaborate yet Etsy-like costumes and a wheelbarrow decked out as a boat. Then they run around the backyard dressed in equally elaborate hand-crafted monster or spaceman costumes. 

I am old, but I is this honestly how modern families spend their time and energy? This seems like pure fantasy for normal families that (by my observation) mostly revolve around fast foods and staring at device screens.

I've wondered about this ridiculous commercial too.  I can't swear it never happens but parents dressing in costumes and spending the day in fantasy play with their children seem far-fetched.  Not to mention, don't children want to play with other children, rather than their mother?  I can't even imagine wanting my mother to play like that when I was a kid!

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Suzn said:

I've wondered about this ridiculous commercial too.  I can't swear it never happens but parents dressing in costumes and spending the day in fantasy play with their children seem far-fetched.  Not to mention, don't children want to play with other children, rather than their mother?  I can't even imagine wanting my mother to play like that when I was a kid!

There were no costumes involved, but I remember when I was around 3 or 4, I always wanted my mom to play house with me.  I'd be the mommy and she'd be the little girl.  I don't remember what that actually consisted of happening, I just know I would always ask her, and sometimes she'd say yes, sometimes she'd say she's busy.  I also liked her to play board games with me.  I would probably drop her like a hot potato if/when other kids came around, though.  I'm a mean inconsiderate little bugger.

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

My youngest step-daughter and her husband play with their kids a lot, particularly on weekends when Dad is home. They have a park nearby where they also play with other kids, while Mom and Dad visit with the other parents. They have a bin full of costumes, so it's not unusual to see someone in costume. Screen time is strictly limited, but reading is encouraged.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Like 9
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'd like to say a word or several against the Matthew Mcconnauhey car commercials. What the heck is going on? Is it so fascinating to watch MM think that you'd buy a car?

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
On March 21, 2019 at 12:16 PM, mmecorday said:

The people trying to pronounce Rakuten have succeeded in getting on my last nerve, especially the guy that says, "Ra-COOT-ten!" Not even close, genius.

Yeah, that commercial is annoying. It's a website, who cares if people are pronouncing it 'right' as long as they can spell/type it?

(In fact, they might've been smarter to run a commercial with people arguing about it without providing an actual correct answer or even having an official pronunciation in hopes of causing viewers to debate amongst themselves.)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/3/2019 at 10:32 AM, NinjaPenguins said:

There’s a weird Audi commercial where a woman enters a butcher shop to, I assume, buy a steak or something. The butcher starts talking about how the lady clearly wants something more full-blooded as she leads her deeper into the building. Finally they arrive at a large, darkened room with only an Audi parked in it. The butcher encourages the customer to “dig in”  once said customer is in the driver’s seat. Honestly, until I saw the Audi, I thought this was an ad for a horror movie. 

This.  Every time I see it (which is far too often) I just want the lady to say "No, actually I really just wanted pork chops,  Thanks."

Somebody in marketing should also be fired for the Carite(?) commercials that tell us their motto is "We just don't care".   I get that they're referring to people's credit situation but I don't want to buy something from someone who just doesn't care, lol.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

The spring training baseball on MLB Network was sponsored by Best Western, so practically every commercial break, there is an ad where a woman looks down at her phone, wonders aloud, "Today's Best Western.  What does that mean?" with a dopey smile on her face, and then stares with total amazement as a bunch of pictures of the hotels and her features fly out of her phone.  They probably expect viewers to pay attention to the stuff about the hotel, but all I just keep thinking is that the woman doesn't seem very bright.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Suzn said:

Not to mention, don't children want to play with other children, rather than their mother?

I think today most kids don't live in neighborhoods where almost every house had kids their age. When I was a kid I never wanted to do anything in which adults were involved, including sports.  They basically wrecked everything and took all the fun of it and made it like work.  Plus most of the stuff we did parents wouldn't have approved of. And if parents were around, it usually ended up with a lot of yelling.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, sempervivum said:

: Emgality(I think) some kind of medication for migraines- mom is now good to go, and they're gonna play 'Pirates'! They have elaborate yet Etsy-like costumes and a wheelbarrow decked out as a boat. Then they run around the backyard dressed in equally elaborate hand-crafted monster or spaceman costumes. 

I am old, but I is this honestly how modern families spend their time and energy? This seems like pure fantasy for normal families that (by my observation) mostly revolve around fast foods and staring at device screens.

I remember commercials from 30 years ago when I was a kid, before all the phones and devices, where parents would do pretty high-investment "play" with their kids.  I remember wanting my parents to be that involved, but in reality, I spent most of my free time running the neighborhood playing with friends which was probably healthier.   I think it's just a ploy advertisers use even if the product itself isn't directly related to the activity.  It sets up a vision of a lifestyle in the viewer's mind about what they could do (or should do).  Migrane suffers most likely see that commercial and think "There is no way I could create costumes and act like a pirate with my daughter!  OMG I need those pills!"

Also, regarding the pharmaceutical commercials, they are pretty careful about wording things like "Have a discussion with your doctor about....." or "Talk to your doctor and see if you can agree on a treatment plan for...."   Well no shit, there is no other way to get these drugs.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×