Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Maverick

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Because when there are possible serious side effects, and it's not something that they should have to worry about until they are 18, or at least 16, I would prefer to let them make the decision.

There was a time some years ago when the media seemed to be obsessed with the sex lives of kids in public school. They mentioned that it had become trendy for girls as young as 10 to perform oral sex on classmates to be "popular". I'm sure they were engaging in some sensationalism, but middle school age probably makes more sense than when they're already in high school or college.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I guess so.  I thought your point was that parents shouldn't have to pay for the vaccines, and make the kids wait till they're grown up and pay for them themselves.

No, I was being sarcastic about the parents not getting the vaccine for their child. If they knew the vaccine would protect their child they would gladly get it at any age. The stupid commercial made the parents sound horrible. 

• Like 3

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2014 at 4:09 AM, swankie said:

Am I the only one who wants to barf whenever they show that Skittles commercial where this guy has what I call "Skittle pimples" and the girl pulls one off of his face and eats it?  Also, there's another one where the guy has Skittles for teeth and the girl grabs and kisses him and ends up with a mouth full of his teeth that she eats and swallows.  Creepy!

Another commercial that gives me the creeps is the mini Abe Lincoln commercial for the state of Illinois.  I don't know why, but it scares me. lol

http://youtu.be/j88Dg4MCltA

Oh, I haven't seen that second Skittles commercial. Thank goodness. The first one is skeevy enough!

• Like 5

On ‎03‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:29 AM, andromeda331 said:

I hate the Jardiance commercial where the spoke person is telling people who with diabetes what that could mean for their heart and they all pretend to be shocked by it. "That can't be right." I mean really? None of their doctors have ever told them that? Some stranger knows more about their own disease then they do? I also love that he's people he's always telling about their heart are forty and older. Yeah, God knows people forty and older never think they need to worry about the heart. The one where they pick things they worry about and yet not one picks the heart? Yeah right. 

Well, my doctor didn't, but then again, I don't have heart disease.  The statistics the guy is quoting is about people who have diabetes AND heart disease, not just diabetes.  Yep, that commercial annoys the crap out of me.

19 hours ago, Reality police said:

No, I was being sarcastic about the parents not getting the vaccine for their child. If they knew the vaccine would protect their child they would gladly get it at any age. The stupid commercial made the parents sound horrible. 

Unfortunately there are parents who won't let their children get the HPV vaccine because it relates to a sexually transmitted disease, and somehow the vaccine might cause their kids to have sex.

• Like 10

An ad for Myerbetric bladder control medication.  For some reason a giant M&M keeps leading a woman to the bathroom.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 5

5 minutes ago, Brookside said:

An ad for Myerbetric bladder control medication.  For some reason a giant M&M keeps leading a woman to the bathroom.

I love the Myrbetriq bladder when it's sitting at the desk with her, and its eyes keep going back and forth between her and the doctor.  (That was years ago when I first saw a commercial with it; they may run a different one now that doesn't include that scene.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 6

1. I hate the "Fiji water" commercials. Yeah, it's a good idea to ship WATER from the other side of the earth.  The only time I've drunk Fiji water was when I was in Fiji. But what I really hate is the voice-over is a young girl - like I need a kid lecturing me on what water is supposed to taste like!

2. The little girl that complains that her mother washes the dishes before she loads them into the dishwasher.  Little smart ass.

Get off my lawn!

• Like 7
  • Laugh 2

29 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

2. The little girl that complains that her mother washes the dishes before she loads them into the dishwasher.  Little smart ass.

I actually think she raises a good point.  I've never had a dishwasher, but I had a friend who washed the dishes completely before putting them in the dishwasher.  Like, the same way I would wash them and be done. So, if that's what you do when you have a dishwasher, I really just don't understand the point.

• Like 7

If you have a builder grade dishwasher, it doesn't matter what detergent you use. You have to rinse the dishes first to get them clean. We replaced ours with a top of the line Bosch - no rinsing required. Just put in dirty dishes and they are perfectly clean.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I love the Myrbetriq bladder when it's sitting at the desk with her, and its eyes keep going back and forth between her and the doctor.  (That was years ago when I first saw a commercial with it; they may run a different one now that doesn't include that scene.)

I think the bladder is absolutely adorable.

• Like 9

So I just saw the Northwestern Mutual ad where the dad is mowing the lawn and his daughter asks to go to Jessica‘s house.  They’ve taken out her very dramatic “Uhhhhhhhh!” and replaced it with a scene of her texting on her phone and bobbing her head.  Nothing else has really changed as far as I can tell. I wonder if they got a ton complaints about it. Interesting. 

• Useful 1

6 hours ago, chessiegal said:

If you have a builder grade dishwasher, it doesn't matter what detergent you use. You have to rinse the dishes first to get them clean. We replaced ours with a top of the line Bosch - no rinsing required. Just put in dirty dishes and they are perfectly clean.

My brother seems to think his DW will last longer & he won't have to clean out the filter/food trap so often if he washes the dishes first. His wife likes the DW for the sanitizing feature. I dunno. How germy can your dishes get during dinner?

While I have not undertaken a scientific study, anecdotally, the number of people who rinse, rather than scrape, their dishes before putting them in the dishwasher seems to be higher than the number of those whose dishwasher's functionality actually requires rinsing.  And the percentage of dishwasher owners who effectively wash (add soap and some degree of scrubbing to the rinsing) their dishes prior to loading seems exponentially higher than those whose dishwasher is so ineffective this extra degree of preparation is required (and should thus probably hand wash their dishes until a new unit can be obtained).

The kid in the commercial says her mom "washes" the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher, but the mom is only shown rinsing a dish.  So maybe she rinses and the kid is exaggerating, or maybe she does pre-wash and we're just seeing her rinse after washing.  The kitchen looks like one that would have a dishwasher among the majority capable of cleaning properly with scraping rather than rinsing, but - obviously, since the ad is for the detergent, not the appliance - we can only see the finish and overall condition of the kitchen.  Maybe they do have a mediocre dishwasher.  Probably not, but maybe.

I'd be down with a "For the love of our finite water resources, stop!" message.  But that's not what the commercial is presenting; it's a narrative that the same dishwasher - of whatever quality - would require rinsing/pre-washing (depending on what we're supposed to think Mom is actually doing to these dishes) in order to come out clean with a competitor's detergent, but not with super-duper (Cascade?) detergent, when reality is the dishwasher is more of a factor than the detergent.

With that said, all the people who don't need to do anything more than scrape yet waste water because reasons irk me, so the kid doesn't bother me like she normally would.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2

I think the dishwasher soap you use makes a big difference, at least experience and Consumer Reports indicates it.

saw a Nissan ad last night which was promoting the computer assistance in their cars.  The ad features a woman making her morning commute to work.  Of course, she's in heavy traffic.  Luckily she has a computer to help her out!  She switches the magic computer assistant on and we are treated to one of those lovely shots of her car in a lane with a nice magic digital laser show painted on the road in front of her.  Flash back to our heroine in her magic car and now she has a cocky grin on her face as the computer magically makes cars in front of her disappear from existence (since I can't think of any other way this can actually work) and she gets to work in excellent time! Thank you magic computer!,

its a pet peeve of mine in ads when some feature or product is presented doing something way outside its actual parameters.  There's an ad for a Gillette razor in which a fireman talks about having to shave every day in order for his safety mask to seal properly to his face and how this one gillette shaver does the job without irritating his sensitive skin.  he's then shown heading into a blazing inferno! lol.  every time I see the ad I say to myself "Gillette - Saving lives one shave at a time!" 

Edited by Zevious Zoquis
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

How germy can your dishes get during dinner?

I always go with the theory that they're not bad if they're your germs.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

I think the dishwasher soap you use makes a big difference, at least experience and Consumer Reports indicates it.

I think it's both. I use Cascade Platinum tabs. My dishwasher is a mid-range Whirlpool that is at least 12 years old. It was in our house when we bought it and it definitely wasn't new then. Since I switched to the Platinum four or five years ago, I've been able to tell a difference. It even keeps my dishwasher door cleaner. That said, I still have to scrub and effectively wash bakeware that I make mac and cheese or lasagna in. My dishwasher doesn't do a great job on baked-on stuff like that. Maybe newer/fancier ones do.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Katy M said:

I actually think she raises a good point.  I've never had a dishwasher, but I had a friend who washed the dishes completely before putting them in the dishwasher.  Like, the same way I would wash them and be done. So, if that's what you do when you have a dishwasher, I really just don't understand the point.

Is your friend trying to sterilize the dishes? The dishwasher can use hotter water than a person can in a sink.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

My brother seems to think his DW will last longer & he won't have to clean out the filter/food trap so often if he washes the dishes first. His wife likes the DW for the sanitizing feature. I dunno. How germy can your dishes get during dinner?

Confession:  My apartment has a dishwasher, and I’ve never used it(and I’ve lived here almost a year).  I live alone, and it would take probably at least a week to amass a full load like they recommend, and it’s just quicker to wash them by hand.

• Like 9

Frito Lay snack packs.  Obnoxious little girl does a stupid dance, wearing cleats on a hardwood floor.  Even worse is that I'm pretty sure the coach would ask parents to provide nutritious healthy snacks, not fat-saturated salt bombs.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Brookside said:

Frito Lay snack packs.  Obnoxious little girl does a stupid dance, wearing cleats on a hardwood floor.  Even worse is that I'm pretty sure the coach would ask parents to provide nutritious healthy snacks, not fat-saturated salt bombs.

I hated the one in which everyone was making an excuse for the mother distributing them to get one.

• Like 2

I hate the one where the dad's kids yell at him that he can't call dibs on every bag of chips in the pack. Excuse me, I bet he paid for the damn thing, he can so call dibs on all the chips if he wants.

• Like 5

Toyota Jan and her "Let's get ready to RRRUUUMMMBBBLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! I can't hit the mute button fast enough.

Why do commercials think that they have to SCREAM at us to get us to buy their products. Hate. Hate. Hate.

• Like 11

41 minutes ago, margol29 said:

Toyota Jan and her "Let's get ready to RRRUUUMMMBBBLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! I can't hit the mute button fast enough.

Why do commercials think that they have to SCREAM at us to get us to buy their products. Hate. Hate. Hate.

I think some of them believe you are plowing the back 40 and want to get your attention.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 5

19 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

How germy can your dishes get during dinner?

What could possibly be on your dishes that hand washing with soap and hot water can't take care of, so that you need your dishwasher to function as an autoclave? 

1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

I hate the one where the dad's kids yell at him that he can't call dibs on every bag of chips in the pack. Excuse me, I bet he paid for the damn thing, he can so call dibs on all the chips if he wants.

I disagree.  If he purchased the chips with the intention of sharing them (and with the understanding of everyone in the household that they are to share), then he isn't entitled to all of the chips.  If he bought them with no intention of sharing them, then it isn't calling dibs, it's eating the chips he bought for himself, and he needs to just tell his family that these chips are not for them. 

• Like 4

The one commercial for the one exercise machine where sweat is dripping off the person’s nose while exercising is gross.

Edited by bigskygirl
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, janie jones said:

I disagree.  If he purchased the chips with the intention of sharing them (and with the understanding of everyone in the household that they are to share), then he isn't entitled to all of the chips.  If he bought them with no intention of sharing them, then it isn't calling dibs, it's eating the chips he bought for himself, and he needs to just tell his family that these chips are not for them. 

Well, actually, they were telling him that he couldn’t call dibs on two bags in a row, which is when he retaliated by calling for the whole pack. I’m just not liking that the kids are dictating snack rules to their parent, who should be the one making the rules about the junk food.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Well, actually, they were telling him that he couldn’t call dibs on two bags in a row, which is when he retaliated by calling for the whole pack. I’m just not liking that the kids are dictating snack rules to their parent, who should be the one making the rules about the junk food.

Well, that's not what I was responding to, but now that you mention it, I wonder whether the advertisers intended the children to be dictating snack rules to the parent or simply stating the rules of "dibs."  As in, if your dad tries to cheat at Monopoly and you point it out, are you bossing your dad around or reiterating the rules?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Well, that's not what I was responding to, but now that you mention it, I wonder whether the advertisers intended the children to be dictating snack rules to the parent or simply stating the rules of "dibs."  As in, if your dad tries to cheat at Monopoly and you point it out, are you bossing your dad around or reiterating the rules?

The dad seemed surprised by this dibs rule, so it seemed to me like they were making up their own rules.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, margol29 said:

While marginally better than their "Enjoy the go" campaign, that one annoys me b/c it's obvious they didn't pay that guy to say his signature quote or anything close to it, so what's the point? 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, smittykins said:

Confession:  My apartment has a dishwasher, and I’ve never used it(and I’ve lived here almost a year).  I live alone, and it would take probably at least a week to amass a full load like they recommend, and it’s just quicker to wash them by hand.

Before the comic Paula Poundstone adopted her kids, she used to keep take-out menus in her dishwasher.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 6

12 hours ago, janie jones said:

Well, that's not what I was responding to, but now that you mention it, I wonder whether the advertisers intended the children to be dictating snack rules to the parent or simply stating the rules of "dibs."

I wonder whether they intended to highlight that the bags don't have many chips in them (why else would he be wanting at least three of them?).

• Like 5

The people trying to pronounce Rakuten have succeeded in getting on my last nerve, especially the guy that says, "Ra-COOT-ten!" Not even close, genius.

Edited by mmecorday · Reason: to and that are not the same word
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

I wonder whether they intended to highlight that the bags don't have many chips in them

The thing about serving sizes is, what size the package is, is one serving.  (But those little bags just whet your appetite for a really BIG bag.)

• Like 7
  • Laugh 2

17 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Children should not be in charge of a thing.

What?  Of course, they should.  They should be in charge of doing their homework. M aking sure their room is clean.  Spending/saving any allowance or money they earn. How are they ever going to learn any responsibility if they're not in charge of anything?

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

They should be in charge of amusing themselves, if at home, quietly, if outside, not in the street.

• Like 2

My comment was badly worded, it appears.  What I meant was, children are NOT THE BOSS.  In anything except their own person.

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

My comment was badly worded, it appears.  What I meant was, children are NOT THE BOSS.  In anything except their own person.

ITA  So very many commercials show children ruling the house, the family, everything!  The children decide what food they will be served (so many little snowflakes will only eat chicken nuggets); they decide what they will wear (the little girl who will only wear her princess dress or sheriff costume); they even have say so over the choice of the family vehicle.  I don't mean that children should not have some input in areas about their own lives, but what we see non-stop is children dictating to their parents in all matters.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, mmecorday said:

The people trying to pronounce Rakuten have succeeded in getting on my last nerve, especially the guy to says, "Ra-COOT-ten!" Not even close, genius.

Here's an idea.  Make a name for your product that people don't have to guess how to pronounce

• Like 18
  • Laugh 1

17 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Here's an idea.  Make a name for your product that people don't have to guess how to pronounce

Or at least make the official pronunciation a top guess. Maybe "ra-cute-n"? I would have never put the "k" with the "ra".

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Brattinella said:

What commercial is this referencing?

14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Rakuten is a Japanese company, so, yeah, we'd have trouble pronouncing it correctly until we're told the right way.

Since it's a Japanese company, doesn't that mean they had a choice in how to translate their name from its native script into a Latin character set? Pronunciation shouldn't have been an issue if their marketing department/company had gotten it right.