Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I am claiming a victory here tonight! I did a rant a while ago about those stupid Hpv vaccine commercials. Can't stand them. Made the parents out to be idiots. The one with the kids asking Why? Why, because I didn't want to spend $10 on a vaccine for something you probably won't come down with until you are out of my house and on your own insurance, you little twerp! It just chaps my lips. 

They have changed the voiceover on the new ones! Video is the same but the parents are now calling the doctor.

Yes! See what we can do! 

• Love 7

Speaking of spoiled kids I hate the commercial for some pharmaceutical where the kid says something about their mom not being able to do thing for Them because she’s sick, so now with the meds she can continue to do all the things for said kid. Yes, that’s all mom is good for, to serve your very whim.

• Love 16

Those pharmaceutical commercials get me so agitated, mainly because I take one of the more recently popular ones, so I can completely relate.  I'm often targeted for surveys about new commercials for these drugs, wanting to know my opinions and feelings.  It seems that since they are required to mention all of the possible side effects, that leaves little room for other information, so they must choose the script carefully.  The trend with the kids being sad or upset that mom or dad isn't "the same" anymore may possibly be as a result of some of their latest research.  I'm sure a lot of people suffering from diseases like arthritis, psoriasis, chrons or bipolar depression, feel bad about not being able to interact with their family as they once would, so they highlight this to the full extent.  It's true that these drugs, if they work, do make most of the symptoms go away and they do give you your life back, but it comes off as kicking a person when they are down.  OK, yes, I feel like shit, want to stay in bed, be alone, etc, but please don't remind me that my family is silently suffering as well.  Just my rant.

• Love 15
On 12/11/2018 at 12:44 PM, Ilovecomputers said:

That camera angle showing her big fish lips over the ball-like piece of chocolate is, um, odd.

I literally cringe when her fish lips gp towards the chocolate! I not only mute it but I don't look at it either!!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

The trend with the kids being sad or upset that mom or dad isn't "the same" anymore may possibly be as a result of some of their latest research.  I'm sure a lot of people suffering from diseases like arthritis, psoriasis, chrons or bipolar depression, feel bad about not being able to interact with their family as they once would, so they highlight this to the full extent.  It's true that these drugs, if they work, do make most of the symptoms go away and they do give you your life back, but it comes off as kicking a person when they are down.  OK, yes, I feel like shirt, want to stay in bed, be alone, etc, but please don't remind me that my family is silently suffering as well.  Just my rant.

I think it would be better if they focused on the actual drug taker lamenting the things they can't do without the medication rather than having their family complaining about it. It does just put more pressure on the drug taker to "perform" for their family. Maybe start doing shit for mom for a change you ingrates! 

• Love 19
12 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Dear Bride in Geico Commercial

If your groom's vows are the lyrics to a Whitesnake song that contain "here I go again on my own," you might want to reconsider going through with the ceremony.

I came here to post about that.  My problem as the bride would be much less that my husband-to-be's vows were song lyrics, which is what she complains about, and much more that he's stating that he's "born to walk alone."  Followed by the fact that he was actually singing the lyrics.

1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

I think it would be better if they focused on the actual drug taker lamenting the things they can't do without the medication rather than having their family complaining about it. It does just put more pressure on the drug taker to "perform" for their family. Maybe start doing shit for mom for a change you ingrates! 

The probably did a study that found people were more likely to take certain drugs if they were guilt tripped into not "letting down" their families, rather than taking it for themselves.

• Love 9
On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:29 AM, andromeda331 said:

I hate the Jardiance commercial where the spoke person is telling people who with diabetes what that could mean for their heart and they all pretend to be shocked by it. "That can't be right." I mean really? None of their doctors have ever told them that?

Well, I actually like those ads, because the spokesman is a tall cool drink of silver fox! Makes the Trivago guy look like Archie Bunker, imo. However, it's not unusual for type 2 diabetics to be diagnosed by a GP, and it's shocking how many GP's don't really know much about the disease. I'm a type 1 and belong to a diabetes forum, and it's awful what some of these people have been told/not told by ignorant doctors. Go to an endocrinologist, folks.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

I'm a huge golf fan and during this particular tournament weekend, there are commercials showing Justin Rose (an English golfer that I like a lot) showing that he and his wife, daughter and son go to a low income school and give out books to kids so they will develop a love of reading and have books of their very own. His son is the older of the two kids and the two times they show him in the commercial he looks like he'd rather be anywhere else while the rest of the family is smiling and into it. At the end of the commercial, the family members all say, "Eagle up," and again the kid looks like it's a bother for him. I believe Justin came from a working class background. He needs to have a word with his son about privilege.  

• Love 7
54 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

I'm a huge golf fan and during this particular tournament weekend, there are commercials showing Justin Rose (an English golfer that I like a lot) showing that he and his wife, daughter and son go to a low income school and give out books to kids so they will develop a love of reading and have books of their very own. His son is the older of the two kids and the two times they show him in the commercial he looks like he'd rather be anywhere else while the rest of the family is smiling and into it. At the end of the commercial, the family members all say, "Eagle up," and again the kid looks like it's a bother for him. I believe Justin came from a working class background. He needs to have a word with his son about privilege.  

Maybe he was uncomfortable in front of the cameras.  Or maybe there was something else that he specifically wanted to do during that time and his dad said "no, we need this photo-op.  My career."  

• Love 2
23 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

Those pharmaceutical commercials get me so agitated, mainly because I take one of the more recently popular ones, so I can completely relate.  I'm often targeted for surveys about new commercials for these drugs, wanting to know my opinions and feelings.  It seems that since they are required to mention all of the possible side effects, that leaves little room for other information, so they must choose the script carefully.  The trend with the kids being sad or upset that mom or dad isn't "the same" anymore may possibly be as a result of some of their latest research.  I'm sure a lot of people suffering from diseases like arthritis, psoriasis, chrons or bipolar depression, feel bad about not being able to interact with their family as they once would, so they highlight this to the full extent.  It's true that these drugs, if they work, do make most of the symptoms go away and they do give you your life back, but it comes off as kicking a person when they are down.  OK, yes, I feel like shit, want to stay in bed, be alone, etc, but please don't remind me that my family is silently suffering as well.  Just my rant.

I hear you--boy, do I hear you--but in my experience (which is all I have to go on), concern for the impact my [fill in medical condition here] has on others is a big part of the equation, whether commercials are mentioning it or not. So commercials that do depict this impact are actually displaying insight into the feelings of the target consumer. And that motivates change.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Katy M said:

Maybe he was uncomfortable in front of the cameras.  Or maybe there was something else that he specifically wanted to do during that time and his dad said "no, we need this photo-op.  My career."  

Maybe, but my interpretation of his facial responses was that he was bored and disinterested. As far as wanting to do something else, his father's career has afforded the 9-ish year old a pretty good life so if dad's commitment trumps his wants every so now and again, I don't see an issue with that.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, configdotsys said:

Maybe, but my interpretation of his facial responses was that he was bored and disinterested. As far as wanting to do something else, his father's career has afforded the 9-ish year old a pretty good life so if dad's commitment trumps his wants every so now and again, I don't see an issue with that.

He's 9.  He's a kid. He's allowed to be bored, disinterested, or just make a less-than-enthusiastic face.

• Love 6
On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 4:40 AM, andromeda331 said:

Mine too. I can't stand her and her "tap one little bumper". Yeah all you did was hit someone else's car and then pissed because there's actual consequences for it. Yeah, how dare that happen.  I don't know why LM though that was a good idea or the one who hits at tree.  They come off like they deserve to have their insurance go up and much more. 

Oh, definitely, if it was her car hit you know she wouldn't just blow it off.  Sure, then its a big deal.  She'd probably sue the other driver. She'd want a new car, money for damages, pain and suffering. 

I was the one who got "tapped" a little over a year ago.  It was by a co-worker.  She sauntered in to my cubicle and said "Um, hey, I just tapped your car, but it's not bad.  It's icy out, and I slid backing in to my spot, but it's OK - it's not bad.  I just rubbed some of the dirt off of your bumper, but it's not bad.  It will be OK."  I was concerned she didn't have insurance.  I walked out with her, and I said "Rub your hand over that.  It's very scratched up.  The only reason you can't see it is because the paint is dark blue, the plastic under it is black, and the car is dirty due to the snow storm."  She wasn't happy about it, but gave me her insurance info - she had The General.  I had to fight to get them to cover the whole thing, and a rental.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Well, I actually like those ads, because the spokesman is a tall cool drink of silver fox! Makes the Trivago guy look like Archie Bunker, imo. However, it's not unusual for type 2 diabetics to be diagnosed by a GP, and it's shocking how many GP's don't really know much about the disease.

Routine diagnosis doesn't require you to know much. There's a reference that lays out everything (tests treatments, probable causes, etc) starting with a patient's initial complaints.

• Love 1
On 3/15/2019 at 10:40 AM, Colleenna said:

Oh, good. I came here hoping someone other than me found these emu ads stupid and annoying. What made the adholes think this would work?

I like the 1970's buddy cop trope, but they never seem to be related to the sponsor's product.  Or am I not noticing that part?

On 3/15/2019 at 3:20 PM, NinjaPenguins said:

The MyPillow guy commercial where he appears in the married couple’s medicine cabinet is disturbing on so many levels. Is there some kind of crawl space back there, affording him the opportunity to lurk until the magical moment when he can spew his pillow propaganda at the homeowners? Is the shiny blue shirt and giant cross the pillow police uniform? Why does the husband and wife look like brother and sister? What kind of crazy person lets a stranger hover over their prone form and adjust their pillow? That lunatic has been hiding behind your dental floss and anti fungal cream for god knows how long, people! 

You may be too young to have seen them, but there used to be an ad campaign featuring a guy lurking in the medicine cabinette who greeted the unsuspecting husband with a goofy "Hi guy!" before pitching whatever it was.

• Love 8
29 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

I like the 1970's buddy cop trope, but they never seem to be related to the sponsor's product.  Or am I not noticing that part?

It might help to know what character the guy is meant to resemble. Is his car associated with anyone in particular?

2 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

You may be too young to have seen them, but there used to be an ad campaign featuring a guy lurking in the medicine cabinette who greeted the unsuspecting husband with a goofy "Hi guy!" before pitching whatever it was.

That was the great Chuck McCann

• Love 6
On 3/16/2019 at 6:07 PM, Reality police said:

I am claiming a victory here tonight! I did a rant a while ago about those stupid Hpv vaccine commercials. Can't stand them. Made the parents out to be idiots. The one with the kids asking Why? Why, because I didn't want to spend $10 on a vaccine for something you probably won't come down with until you are out of my house and on your own insurance, you little twerp! It just chaps my lips. 

They have changed the voiceover on the new ones! Video is the same but the parents are now calling the doctor.

Yes! See what we can do! 

The vaccines need to be given when the person is a child, not when they've grown up.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
9 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

The vaccines need to be given when the person is a child, not when they've grown up.

The vaccine can be given from the age of 12 to 45.  HPV is usually transmitted via sex, so yes, they can wait until they are grown up to make their own decision. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

In a study, which involved teen girls and young women, 11.6 percent of those who had never had sexual intercourse were infected with at least one strain of HPV.

https://www.livescience.com/22141-hpv-infection-sexual-intercourse-teens.html

What difference does it make? If I can do something to prevent my child from dying of cancer with something as simple and cheap as a vaccine, then damn straight I'm going to do it.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Useful 1
  • Love 22
7 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

What difference does it make? If I can do something to prevent my child from dying of cancer with something as simple and cheap as a vaccine, them damn straight I'm going to do it.

Because when there are possible serious side effects, and it's not something that they should have to worry about until they are 18, or at least 16, I would prefer to let them make the decision.

after receiving human papillomavirus vaccination, a significant number of adolescent girls experienced various symptoms, the vast majority of which have been ascribed to chronic regional pain syndrome, orthostatic intolerance, and/or cognitive dysfunction. However, a causal link has not been established between human papillomavirus vaccination and the development of these symptoms.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5688202/

9 minutes ago, Reality police said:

You missed my point.

I guess so.  I thought your point was that parents shouldn't have to pay for the vaccines, and make the kids wait till they're grown up and pay for them themselves.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

Bahaha.... nope. I remember that commercial --- late 1960s early 1970s..... deodorant.  Don't remember the brand, though, because I'm not a guy. 

• Love 1
On 3/17/2019 at 1:17 PM, sempervivum said:

Well, I actually like those ads, because the spokesman is a tall cool drink of silver fox! Makes the Trivago guy look like Archie Bunker, imo. However, it's not unusual for type 2 diabetics to be diagnosed by a GP, and it's shocking how many GP's don't really know much about the disease. I'm a type 1 and belong to a diabetes forum, and it's awful what some of these people have been told/not told by ignorant doctors. Go to an endocrinologist, folks.

Yup. I'm a type 2, as is my BFF. Her doctor does not have her check her bg AT ALL. I test 3x a day. 

*Her* doctor allegedly told her that an A1c of 7.1 was normal. My response was, "if your doctor actually said that, your doctor is an idiot. Normal is 4.5-6. Under 7 is the goal for a type 2." 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Because when there are possible serious side effects, and it's not something that they should have to worry about until they are 18, or at least 16, I would prefer to let them make the decision.

There was a time some years ago when the media seemed to be obsessed with the sex lives of kids in public school. They mentioned that it had become trendy for girls as young as 10 to perform oral sex on classmates to be "popular". I'm sure they were engaging in some sensationalism, but middle school age probably makes more sense than when they're already in high school or college.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I guess so.  I thought your point was that parents shouldn't have to pay for the vaccines, and make the kids wait till they're grown up and pay for them themselves.

No, I was being sarcastic about the parents not getting the vaccine for their child. If they knew the vaccine would protect their child they would gladly get it at any age. The stupid commercial made the parents sound horrible. 

• Love 4
On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2014 at 4:09 AM, swankie said:

Am I the only one who wants to barf whenever they show that Skittles commercial where this guy has what I call "Skittle pimples" and the girl pulls one off of his face and eats it?  Also, there's another one where the guy has Skittles for teeth and the girl grabs and kisses him and ends up with a mouth full of his teeth that she eats and swallows.  Creepy!

Another commercial that gives me the creeps is the mini Abe Lincoln commercial for the state of Illinois.  I don't know why, but it scares me. lol

http://youtu.be/j88Dg4MCltA

Oh, I haven't seen that second Skittles commercial. Thank goodness. The first one is skeevy enough!

• Love 5
On ‎03‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:29 AM, andromeda331 said:

I hate the Jardiance commercial where the spoke person is telling people who with diabetes what that could mean for their heart and they all pretend to be shocked by it. "That can't be right." I mean really? None of their doctors have ever told them that? Some stranger knows more about their own disease then they do? I also love that he's people he's always telling about their heart are forty and older. Yeah, God knows people forty and older never think they need to worry about the heart. The one where they pick things they worry about and yet not one picks the heart? Yeah right. 

Well, my doctor didn't, but then again, I don't have heart disease.  The statistics the guy is quoting is about people who have diabetes AND heart disease, not just diabetes.  Yep, that commercial annoys the crap out of me.

19 hours ago, Reality police said:

No, I was being sarcastic about the parents not getting the vaccine for their child. If they knew the vaccine would protect their child they would gladly get it at any age. The stupid commercial made the parents sound horrible. 

Unfortunately there are parents who won't let their children get the HPV vaccine because it relates to a sexually transmitted disease, and somehow the vaccine might cause their kids to have sex.

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, Brookside said:

An ad for Myerbetric bladder control medication.  For some reason a giant M&M keeps leading a woman to the bathroom.

I love the Myrbetriq bladder when it's sitting at the desk with her, and its eyes keep going back and forth between her and the doctor.  (That was years ago when I first saw a commercial with it; they may run a different one now that doesn't include that scene.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6

1. I hate the "Fiji water" commercials. Yeah, it's a good idea to ship WATER from the other side of the earth.  The only time I've drunk Fiji water was when I was in Fiji. But what I really hate is the voice-over is a young girl - like I need a kid lecturing me on what water is supposed to taste like!

2. The little girl that complains that her mother washes the dishes before she loads them into the dishwasher.  Little smart ass.

Get off my lawn!

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
29 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

2. The little girl that complains that her mother washes the dishes before she loads them into the dishwasher.  Little smart ass.

I actually think she raises a good point.  I've never had a dishwasher, but I had a friend who washed the dishes completely before putting them in the dishwasher.  Like, the same way I would wash them and be done. So, if that's what you do when you have a dishwasher, I really just don't understand the point.

• Love 7

If you have a builder grade dishwasher, it doesn't matter what detergent you use. You have to rinse the dishes first to get them clean. We replaced ours with a top of the line Bosch - no rinsing required. Just put in dirty dishes and they are perfectly clean.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I love the Myrbetriq bladder when it's sitting at the desk with her, and its eyes keep going back and forth between her and the doctor.  (That was years ago when I first saw a commercial with it; they may run a different one now that doesn't include that scene.)

I think the bladder is absolutely adorable.

• Love 9

So I just saw the Northwestern Mutual ad where the dad is mowing the lawn and his daughter asks to go to Jessica‘s house.  They’ve taken out her very dramatic “Uhhhhhhhh!” and replaced it with a scene of her texting on her phone and bobbing her head.  Nothing else has really changed as far as I can tell. I wonder if they got a ton complaints about it. Interesting. 

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, chessiegal said:

If you have a builder grade dishwasher, it doesn't matter what detergent you use. You have to rinse the dishes first to get them clean. We replaced ours with a top of the line Bosch - no rinsing required. Just put in dirty dishes and they are perfectly clean.

My brother seems to think his DW will last longer & he won't have to clean out the filter/food trap so often if he washes the dishes first. His wife likes the DW for the sanitizing feature. I dunno. How germy can your dishes get during dinner?

While I have not undertaken a scientific study, anecdotally, the number of people who rinse, rather than scrape, their dishes before putting them in the dishwasher seems to be higher than the number of those whose dishwasher's functionality actually requires rinsing.  And the percentage of dishwasher owners who effectively wash (add soap and some degree of scrubbing to the rinsing) their dishes prior to loading seems exponentially higher than those whose dishwasher is so ineffective this extra degree of preparation is required (and should thus probably hand wash their dishes until a new unit can be obtained).

The kid in the commercial says her mom "washes" the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher, but the mom is only shown rinsing a dish.  So maybe she rinses and the kid is exaggerating, or maybe she does pre-wash and we're just seeing her rinse after washing.  The kitchen looks like one that would have a dishwasher among the majority capable of cleaning properly with scraping rather than rinsing, but - obviously, since the ad is for the detergent, not the appliance - we can only see the finish and overall condition of the kitchen.  Maybe they do have a mediocre dishwasher.  Probably not, but maybe.

I'd be down with a "For the love of our finite water resources, stop!" message.  But that's not what the commercial is presenting; it's a narrative that the same dishwasher - of whatever quality - would require rinsing/pre-washing (depending on what we're supposed to think Mom is actually doing to these dishes) in order to come out clean with a competitor's detergent, but not with super-duper (Cascade?) detergent, when reality is the dishwasher is more of a factor than the detergent.

With that said, all the people who don't need to do anything more than scrape yet waste water because reasons irk me, so the kid doesn't bother me like she normally would.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4