Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

And every time they mention video doorbells... I'm like... I hate them. Internet of things creepiness. Anything good aside, I wouldn't want something in my house that can/could be remotely hacked.

I like that Allstate has an ad suggesting that you can't really use them to pretend that you're home, but you might be able to watch while someone steals or vandalizes your property.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

There is a commercial on for...I don't remember the product...but it makes my gums hurt.

There is this "lively" senior citizen lady (I am one, too; so no ageism) who is too busy to schedule something.  That something is for whatever the ad is selling. So, first lesson...the ad is terrible because I cannot remember what it is for.

Every time the younger guy in the commercial tries to schedule her for whatever-it-is, she is too too too busy.  Finally she agrees to a dentist appointment, I think.  But she is so busy that she has on a fly-fishing outfit, complete with high rubber boots and maybe a hat with the lures stuck on it while having her teeth and gums looked at.

As someone older than the lady in the commercial, this is insulting.  No one, ever, wears a fly-fishing outfit to anything other than a river.  It makes us all look like busy little bees who have no time to take care of our health needs or any needs, in fact.  Except for feeding our egos.   

I say that as someone who is engaged in a lot of things and sees a good many people.  I can only imagine how someone older and perhaps inactive must feel when watching this.  Yes, I have gone off the deep end in over-reacting to this stupid stupid commercial.  

• Love 11

On a similar note, the one where people without insurance are trying to go to the dentist, but the man’s wallet runs away, and the woman’s purse strap wraps itself around her car’s gearshift.  I’ve been without health insurance before, and it sucks.  But couldn’t they find a better way to dramatize it?(And I’ve also probably overreacted.)

• Love 4

Why does Liberty keep trying to make the emu thing work?   It's stupid and makes no sense.   

I swear the ad agency for Liberty Mutual has nekkid pictures of someone important.  Every "concept" they trot out is just annoying.

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, zillabreeze said:

Why does Liberty keep trying to make the emu thing work?   It's stupid and makes no sense. 

If the company is just looking for name recognition, its ads don't have to make sense. The stupidity of their ads has probably made them the most frequently mentioned insurance company here.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, LoneHaranguer said:

If the company is just looking for name recognition, its ads don't have to make sense. The stupidity of their ads has probably made them the most frequently mentioned insurance company here.

Last fall, I dropped by the Liberty Mutual Facebook page for a bit of research I was doing for an insurance job. I seriously LOL'd at all the comments from people complaining about the stupidity of their TV commercials. "I hate hate HATE these ads, and I'M NEVER BUYING FROM YOU BECAUSE OF THEM!"

Sooo good. 🙂

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

I just can't think which Liberty Mutual ad is worse, the guy with the bulbous calves, the dude who jumps over the railing, or the woman who thinks she's a news reporter. I can tell she's just waiting for her cue to turn around, it's bad back acting!

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

My personal most-hated Liberty Mutual ad is the "Just tapped the bumper... no big deal." one.  Enrages me every time.

Not mine, but this parody video gets me every time... LOL!

Edited by TheCrankyCreative
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I secretly wish someone would hit the sleep pillow guy with one of his pillows. Talk about a totally obnoxious spokesperson and commercials.

I do like the callback to the classic commercials with the two-sided medicine cabinet. IIRC, that guy was even more obnoxious than the pillow guy. I can do without the rest of the ad.

• Love 3

I came her to complain about my three most-hated ads at the moment and I see I  have lots of company. In no particular order:

The Progressive box lounge singer ones. (Also: Why is their spokes-creature a box?)

The dancing twerp spinning around and dancing that she "FOUND a birth control with NO HORMONES!" (I'm sure she could learn to pronounce ingredients in hormonal birth control if she had a brain in her head. Also, no hormonal birth control is going to contain an OUNCE of active ingredient. I know they wanted the rhyme but it's just stupid.)

The Let Go commercials, especially the one where the guy drives a truck through the front window of a jewelry store. Who thought that was a good premise for an ad?

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
15 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I secretly wish someone would hit the sleep pillow guy with one of his pillows. Talk about a totally obnoxious spokesperson and commercials.

As someone pointed out a long time ago, no matter which way he turns, he makes sure is cross necklace is displayed just so.  I guess so we'll trust him?

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, zillabreeze said:

As someone pointed out a long time ago, no matter which way he turns, he makes sure is cross necklace is displayed just so.  I guess so we'll trust him?

Is that the MyPillow guy?  He's been sued a few times for making claims about his pillows that he can't back up.

• Love 13
11 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Vivian tested his pillows. I think she ended up giving it one Vivian head.

Who's Vivian?  I had/have greyhounds named "Tara, Scarlett, Kaytie & HattieMac".  Think we share a little theme?🤔😁

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, zillabreeze said:

Who's Vivian?  I had/have greyhounds named "Tara, Scarlett, Kaytie & HattieMac".  Think we share a little theme?🤔😁

There's a You Tube person with a little show called Vivian Tries. She tests As Seen On TV junk so we don't have to. I love her.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, zillabreeze said:

As someone pointed out a long time ago, no matter which way he turns, he makes sure is cross necklace is displayed just so.

A surprising number of these "as seen on TV" products have subtle or not-so-subtle Christian messages if you look for them.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Vivian tested his pillows. I think she ended up giving it one Vivian head.

I just watched it and it was actually rated three Vivian heads, but the Miracle Bamboo got five and isn't as expensive. Google also pointed me to a detailed review that suggests the guy's real innovation is that you can buy it in a choice of fill levels. The ads I've seen make it sound like you can adjust the fill yourself. 

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

I just watched it and it was actually rated three Vivian heads, but the Miracle Bamboo got five and isn't as expensive. Google also pointed me to a detailed review that suggests the guy's real innovation is that you can buy it in a choice of fill levels. The ads I've seen make it sound like you can adjust the fill yourself. 

Did she cut it up or am I thinking of the other guy that does reviews?

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Did she cut it up or am I thinking of the other guy that does reviews?

She cut it open. It was stuffed with lots of little foam pieces, so there wasn't any cutting up needed to make a mess.  🙂

• LOL 2
4 hours ago, jcbrown said:

The Let Go commercials, especially the one where the guy drives a truck through the front window of a jewelry store. Who thought that was a good premise for an ad?

Yeah, that one was stupid.  But the lawnmower one tickled me the first few times. So many people tried to pay with lawnmowers, that there was actually a sign behind the bar about it!  😁

• Love 4

I just started seeing this GoodRX commercial recently even though it says 2018 on ispot. I'm guessing the intent was for viewers to feel for this Mom who's son needs a med she can't afford. There's something about the Mom and her voice that gets really annoying after seeing the commercial so many times.

• Love 1

It seems TV advertisers are hellbent on grabbing viewers' attention from :01 of the spot--if that means blasting an obnoxious voice or noise at twice the volume of the TV program, so be it. In that context, maybe driving a truck through a glass store front isn't as insane as it sounds.

(Hint: It is still insane, and stupid too.)

As for the My Pillow guy, yeah - his style isn't for everyone. Maybe his pillows aren't, either, but we have two and like them a lot. They are always--always--soft and full, and they seem to be the only pillows in the house that don't leave me with a sore neck in the morning. (I have chiropractic issues that lead to discomfort and headaches, and the My Pillows seem to help.)

Oh, and I got sick of seeing Peyton Manning's "singing and playing music in the moving motor home" ad (no idea what it's for) after seeing it twice. (About 10 viewings ago.)

• Love 3
On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 4:19 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

Were we all waiting for McDonald's to bring back the singing bass of not so fine memory?

The other annoying thing about this ad, besides the basshole, is the fake Jacques Cousteau.  He's dead, he's an environmental pioneer, a war hero, etc.  He shouldn't be used to advertise McDonald's.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

The other annoying thing about this ad, besides the basshole, is the fake Jacques Cousteau.  He's dead, he's an environmental pioneer, a war hero, etc.  He shouldn't be used to advertise McDonald's.

Excellent point. Unfortunately, nothing is sacred on Madison Avenue.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

A surprising number of these "as seen on TV" products have subtle or not-so-subtle Christian messages if you look for them.

A lot of MLM stuff does too (LuLaRoe, Younique, etc).

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:12 AM, mmecorday said:

I hate the commercials for WGU featuring hapless substitute teacher Miss Evans. It's on all the time and it needs to go away.

Aw, I like Miss Evans. I especially like the way her face lights up when one of the students asks for help.

• Love 2

Omg!! They finally updated the cringeworthy dated sunsetter commercial!! I guess they figured after 15 years it was time for an update. Although it would have been much more interesting if they used the original actors as grandparents this time around. 

• Love 2
On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 6:56 PM, bigskygirl said:

You're kinder than me.  I not so secretly want to smother him.

• LOL 6
  • Love 13
On 3/12/2019 at 11:58 AM, zillabreeze said:

I swear the ad agency for Liberty Mutual has nekkid pictures of someone important.  Every "concept" they trot out is just annoying.

Oh, good. I came here hoping someone other than me found these emu ads stupid and annoying. What made the adholes think this would work?

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:13 PM, Woopwoopkitty said:

Fact: we all love video doorbells.

Fact: we all hate the Scott brothers.

I don't care about video doorbells one way or the other.

My life hasn't been changed by voice-activated assistants.

But I do hate the Scott brothers.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Oh, good. I came here hoping someone other than me found these emu ads stupid and annoying. What made the adholes think this would work?

If they were for something besides Liberty Mutual, I would probably find them amusing due to their retro buddy cop feel.  But Liberty Mutual?  Ugh!

• Love 1
On 3/10/2019 at 11:13 PM, Woopwoopkitty said:

Fact: we all love video doorbells.

Fact: we all hate the Scott brothers.

I honestly thought I was the only person who finds them off-putting. 

The MyPillow guy commercial where he appears in the married couple’s medicine cabinet is disturbing on so many levels. Is there some kind of crawl space back there, affording him the opportunity to lurk until the magical moment when he can spew his pillow propaganda at the homeowners? Is the shiny blue shirt and giant cross the pillow police uniform? Why does the husband and wife look like brother and sister? What kind of crazy person lets a stranger hover over their prone form and adjust their pillow? That lunatic has been hiding behind your dental floss and anti fungal cream for god knows how long, people! 

MyPillow could be the greatest pillow on earth, but I’m gonna have to pass. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 14
On 3/12/2019 at 5:44 PM, Brattinella said:

My personal most-hated Liberty Mutual ad is the "Just tapped the bumper... no big deal." one.  Enrages me every time.

That one is my most hated.  To her, it's no big deal, but it sure ruined someone else's day and she doesn't give a shit.

• Love 17
4 hours ago, Suzn said:

That one is my most hated.  To her, it's no big deal, but it sure ruined someone else's day and she doesn't give a shit.

And if it was her car that was hit, I'm sure she wouldn't think it could be fixed with just a pen. She's probably want a whole new car. 

7 hours ago, Brookside said:

Kraft mac and cheese.  Obnoxious little girl runs away from a normal, balanced dinner and is rewarded by getting crappy mac and cheese.  Way to encourage good eating habits, mom and dad.

Right?? As much as my kids love mac and cheese (I do too) they will eat green beans too. I hate ads with brats. 

• Love 12
10 hours ago, Suzn said:

Mine too. I can't stand her and her "tap one little bumper". Yeah all you did was hit someone else's car and then pissed because there's actual consequences for it. Yeah, how dare that happen.  I don't know why LM though that was a good idea or the one who hits at tree.  They come off like they deserve to have their insurance go up and much more. 

5 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

And if it was her car that was hit, I'm sure she wouldn't think it could be fixed with just a pen. She's probably want a whole new car. 

Oh, definitely, if it was her car hit you know she wouldn't just blow it off.  Sure, then its a big deal.  She'd probably sue the other driver. She'd want a new car, money for damages, pain and suffering. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, B in Lee said:

The Most Obnoxious commercial has got to be that "custom made dimples" brat whining that Mommy and Dad are cleaning their home on a Saturday, instead of playing with her. Were that kid mine, she'd be running a vacuum cleaner, emptying waste baskets and wiping down cabinets right alongside Dad and me. Job done, we can ALL move on to more pleasant activities. Spoiled, center-of-the-world attitude makes me gnash my teeth.

Oh, yes, my parents would have had me doing cleaning too. I hate that we're suppose to think badly of the parents or that they should just hire someone to clean and play with their kid when their really very typical. Rather then that being the norm spending the weekend cleaning, doing laundry, running errands and catching up things by Monday while also hoping to carve out sometime to spend with your kid. There's only so many hours in two days.

• Love 4

I hate the Jardiance commercial where the spoke person is telling people who with diabetes what that could mean for their heart and they all pretend to be shocked by it. "That can't be right." I mean really? None of their doctors have ever told them that? Some stranger knows more about their own disease then they do? I also love that he's people he's always telling about their heart are forty and older. Yeah, God knows people forty and older never think they need to worry about the heart. The one where they pick things they worry about and yet not one picks the heart? Yeah right. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Mine too. I can't stand her and her "tap one little bumper". Yeah all you did was hit someone else's car and then pissed because there's actual consequences for it. Yeah, how dare that happen.  I don't know why LM though that was a good idea or the one who hits at tree.  They come off like they deserve to have their insurance go up and much more. 

Oh, definitely, if it was her car hit you know she wouldn't just blow it off.  Sure, then its a big deal.  She'd probably sue the other driver. She'd want a new car, money for damages, pain and suffering. 

I had a fender bender in the library parking lot last month. I was the one who "tapped one little bumper" on another vehicle. I felt so bad and kept apologizing to the person who own the car I hit. My insurance company paid for the repairs. My car had a few paint scratches on the front bumper, but no serious damage requiring a visit to a repair shop. I had the person who own the car I "tapped" call the police in order to have an accident report filed in case my insurance company required it. Luckily my husband and I did not have to pay anything out of pocket for the repairs to the other vehicle. My insurance has the no increase in insurance rates for a first accident policy. This is the first time since the accident I actually drove in the library parking lot  (and because of all the snow we got in February.) I ended up parking on the side street because the parking lot was fill up and the city is removing snow piles in the city parking lot areas.)

Edited by bigskygirl

The mother of the teenage girl calling for her mother when the internet was too slow should have taken away her cell phone, or tell the kid to get a job to help pay for better internet service.

And the consumer circular tablet commercial drives me crazy. Not everyone over the age of 50 cannot figure out the internet and the social media world.

What's with the slow-motion yelling of "NOOOOOOOO" in so many commercials lately?  "Let me check my credit score.... - NOOOOOOOOOO"   Kid spills a jug of Kool-Aid at the dining room table - NOOOOOOOOOOO.  Did this trope come from some series or show that's popular?   It's making me stabby.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13