Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On ‎02‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 12:22 AM, Silver Raven said:

She is a singer songwriter.  She has three albums and four EPs out.

I'd never heard of her before the South Beach commercials.  But that doesn't mean she isn't a legit singer-songwriter.  Although I do get her confused with Jessie J.

On ‎02‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 5:19 PM, Jamoche said:

You could cut it off at "that fucking Progressive box" and it would be equally true.

I was kind of amused by the one where it's house hunting and wants enough sun for a Komodo dragon, but otherwise, yeah.

On ‎02‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:45 PM, OpalNightstream said:

“I thrive” is now officially as annoying as the progressive box. 

I see that one as a cross between the Progressive box and the Myrbetriq bladder.  Literally.  Although the little bladder is cute.

• Love 3
On 2/16/2019 at 9:45 PM, OpalNightstream said:

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but is the "I Thrive" voice the same as the "Progressive Box" voice?

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:40 PM, partofme said:

I just saw the most obnoxious commercial with Steve Carrell for Pepsi and I wanted to scream at the tv that Pepsi is never okay.

Ugh, I saw that ad recently and seeing Carell harassing those people and knowing those other people in the diner drink it make me even less inclined to want a Pepsi than when they changed their logo.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

What the fuck is BOCA and why is this psycho bitch berating her friend about it?

Bokeh  It's a photography term related to the way areas in a photography will blur when out of focus.  It is a handy thing when you want to separate the subject of a photo from a busy background.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Bokeh  It's a photography term related to the way areas in a photography will blur when out of focus.  It is a handy thing when you want to separate the subject of a photo from a busy background.

Thank you! Oh my gosh, the bitch isn't even pronouncing it right!

• Love 4

About the Hyundai ads with the tracking devices.  We've had something similar to that in my town since I was a kid.  Except we called them nosy neighbors, friends, and family.  I live in a small town and you can't sneeze without someone a mile away saying "Bless you" or someone else asking you the next day if your cold is better. 

Right now I'm hating the new Pizza Hut commercial where these two teenaged girls just fall apart over some new cheesy pockets crust.  I'd also like to get my hands on whoever thought it was a good idea to bring Maxwell the pig from Geico back.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 2/17/2019 at 10:22 PM, LucindaWalsh said:

I thought that Matthew was a guest at the house, saw the pool table and shot the eight ball which went in a slow, smooth, curvy manner around the other balls, the other guests were commenting on never seeing a ball do that before and he thinks to himself while walking towards the Lincoln, "I have" and then he is shown driving slow and smooth around the curves in the Lincoln. 

I cannot stand that commercial and am totally lost with what the hell it means. The lady's voice says, "I never saw that before," before he make the curve trick shot. Before that, they just show his face but it looks like he hits a regular break shot. Any why on earth would a house full of guests be creeping outside the door watching in awe as a person shoots pool? Just walk the hell in, fools. It just makes no sense to me. And it's on too damn often!

On another note, as someone else mentioned, I want to smack the High Thryv creature into next week!

• Love 7
2 hours ago, configdotsys said:

I cannot stand that commercial and am totally lost with what the hell it means. The lady's voice says, "I never saw that before," before he make the curve trick shot. Before that, they just show his face but it looks like he hits a regular break shot. Any why on earth would a house full of guests be creeping outside the door watching in awe as a person shoots pool? Just walk the hell in, fools. It just makes no sense to me. And it's on too damn often! 

I know it's likely they gave   Mr. McConnaughey  X$$ in exchange for them putting in whatever situations they deemed fit to promote their product but I have to wonder whether he cringed at this particular commercial or loved the idea of everyone treating as though he was somehow a super hero via a pool shot? If the latter's the case, I hope someone points out that this has to be the worst commercial PR move since Jennifer Aniston did that Emirate Airlines ad depicting not having an airplane shower as literal nightmare! 

Edited by Blergh
words but not meaning changed
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I love Maxwell, almost as much as the Camel!

I don't love Maxwell, but I love the lady driving him who is clearly over listening to his "wheeeeee"s. The dismissive hand-wave she gives him is just hilarious.

• Love 11
58 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

I don't love Maxwell, but I love the lady driving him who is clearly over listening to his "wheeeeee"s. The dismissive hand-wave she gives him is just hilarious.

I love her too. And anyone who has ever driven other people's kids, has had a Maxwell in the car. That kid that you're so glad to finally get to their house or whatever. 

And I love the camel! My husband does too. Which is good, because his name is Mike, and he got a lot of crap on Wednesdays. 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, QuinnInND said:

I love her too. And anyone who has ever driven other people's kids, has had a Maxwell in the car. That kid that you're so glad to finally get to their house or whatever. 

And I love the camel! My husband does too. Which is good, because his name is Mike, and he got a lot of crap on Wednesdays. 

My dad's name is Mike. The resurgence of the hump day commercial has revived my tendency to randomly text "Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike" to him.

• LOL 10
  • Love 8
15 hours ago, shlbycindyk said:

I'd also like to get my hands on whoever thought it was a good idea to bring Maxwell the pig from Geico back.  

Same here; I would squeeze until they squealed like Maxwell.  I hate that commercial, other than the perfect way the mom snaps, "Maxwell!" to get his attention.  Maybe if his damn weeeeeeing didn't go on so long it wouldn't be as bad, because I think it's a funny concept, but I am going to hurt myself lunging for the remote one of these days.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 2/18/2019 at 5:43 PM, captain1 said:

Saw an ad this morning for Cottonelle toilet paper that really made me go ‘ewww” - parents who are going to a long-awaited kid free Caribbean resort vacation and the wife is recommending Cottonelle toilet paper. Because she wants to be extra fresh and have all of the nooks and crannies extra squeaky clean.  I was immediately reminded of anal sex and just nooooo.

ETA:  Not that I object at all to two consenting adults having whatever kind of sex they want to, I just don’t need to be thinking about it when I buy Cottonelle!

I was just coming to comment on that ad.  "Down there care" is ... eighth grader talk.

• Love 5
On 11/8/2018 at 9:21 PM, spiderpig said:

Time fot me to jump back on the Giada Bugs the Hell Out of Me Train.

When she waves those little sleeveless stick arms around and clacks those T Rex teeth I just have to look away.

Oh SpiderPig....your description of the frail Giada NEVER gets old and always makes me laugh!

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I don't want to see another commercial in which someone describes a truck as "mean" or "beefy."

Yes, this creeps me out.  When I hear that, I picture that ad for Planet Fitness where there is this muscular leering hulk, running his towel between his legs.  Ewwwww.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, configdotsys said:

I unabashedly LOVE the whacko Matthew McConnaughey commercials.   This one raises all kinds of questions -- who are these people anyway and why would Matthew McConnaughey be at their lame party in the first place, and alone?  It's like he wandered in uninvited and nobody had the nerve to ask him to leave.   Then there's the crazy bulging eyes as he makes the shot, like if the camera pulled back a little you'd see the electrodes attached to his temples.   I noticed tonight that they seem to have re-edited the sound on this spot, so that the woman saying "I've never seen that before" is louder and clearer, and so is McConnaughey's rejoinder, spoken aloud in the car: "I have."   Until they cleaned up the sound I had NO idea what McConnaughey was mumbling in the car.   I thought it was just deranged muttering, and that was fine by me. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

The Grub Hub commercial that has Queen chanting "I Want It All."   To begin with, I hate Queen, always have, going all the way back to 1976.   When I heard the Bohemian Rhapsody movie was being made, I knew the Queen oversaturation would rise to unprecedented levels, but being prepared for it hasn't made it any more bearable.   Anyway, who wants to order food from a company whose name instantly calls to mind beetle larvae?

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

I hate the ad campaign for that cheap coffee-maker he is in. I am convinced that stuff it makes must taste like a chemical swill.

I do love Natalie Dormer scolding him though.  "Didst thou bring enough for everyone?"

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, millennium said:

The Grub Hub commercial that has Queen chanting "I Want It All."   To begin with, I hate Queen, always have, going all the way back to 1976.   When I heard the Bohemian Rhapsody movie was being made, I knew the Queen oversaturation would rise to unprecedented levels, but being prepared for it hasn't made it any more bearable.   Anyway, who wants to order food from a company whose name instantly calls to mind beetle larvae?

I just posted this in the Earworm forum. I’m super over hearing them. Hoping once the Oscars are over, it stops. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Haleth said:

I do love Natalie Dormer scolding him though.  "Didst thou bring enough for everyone?"

Natalie Dormer is in a commercial?   How have I missed this?

ETA:  Just saw it on youtube.   I don't drink coffee but I did like the spot.  

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, mme ginger said:

I just posted this in the Earworm forum. I’m super over hearing them. Hoping once the Oscars are over, it stops. 

I'm afraid (for your sake) that Queen's music will live forever.  I'm happy about it.

• Love 14
4 hours ago, mme ginger said:

Agreed. Queen is nice and everything, but it's like commercials have just discovered them for the first time. It's overdone now.

• Love 4
On 2/9/2019 at 3:54 PM, friendperidot said:

For goodness sake, if you're having a party, you buy several packages and then let Grandma have a roll, the old woman is hungry and wants a roll, if her family didn't starve her she might not be doing midnight searches of the house scrounging for food.

This made me laugh out loud at my desk. Feed Grandma!

On 2/16/2019 at 9:45 PM, OpalNightstream said:

Totally agree.

The commercials I hate the most lately are the "meta" ones, where they reveal the inner workings of designing the ad or finding a new spokesperson. I mean, I like Dennis Quaid and all, but I couldn't care less that he's the new spokesperson for whatever insurance company he's shilling for now (see? I can't even remember the name). Or Jennifer Aniston happens to be putting on Aveeno lotion while she's chatting with her agent about what product she should choose to represent and is all, "Hmmm....I know! Aveeno!" Or that Bada Bing-Bada Boom idiot and his stupid slogan. I know advertising people think they're the coolest people in the world and everyone is interested in them, but trust me, NO ONE CARES. (and I work in marketing so I can say that with authority)

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 10

Common's "TED Talk" (didn't those stop being a thing about five years ago?) ad for Microsoft has already been deservedly criticized  many times here. But now I find them so annoying, I am annoyed by the appearance of the scientists.

Which makes me feel bad because they are probably very nice people doing undeniably good things.

The thing that annoys me most about the latest McConaughey ad is the voice of the woman exclaiming "Whaaat?" in the beginning. Grates.

On 2/19/2019 at 8:07 AM, SoSueMe said:

One of the drawbacks to watching so much cable news is that I see way too many BDO commercials. The characters all have way too much attitude and I resent the fact that I had to google to find out what they (BDO) actually do. I am similiarly pissed off by the "Entree" commercials from KPMG with Joie Chen. I feel like I am unwillingly crashing their little business lunch party. 

I guess I am just too easily ticked off these days 😒

So you're gonna make us Google BDO?  Thanks a lot!  [wink]

Also, I love Matthew McConaughey.  He's an excellent late-night guest -- the guy can really tell a story.  That said, he IS a bit full of himself, and the Lincoln ads are a bit twee. 

The ads that bug me lately are car ads with women drivers who are (apparently) trying to look fierce, as if they're accomplishing something special.  Nope honey -- you're just speeding. 

• Love 6

That damned Consumer Cellular ad may just cause me to destroy my TV one of these days.  Those smug baby-boomer types yammering about how clever and wonderful they are for deciding to go with CC have the some of the most smack-worthy attitudes and facial expressions I've ever seen in a commercial (and I'm a boomer myself, so I get to trash my peers without being ageist, right?).  The first lady with her "I know what I want - I like my eggs scrambled, my coffee strong, and classic rock on my play list" - hey bitch, BIG WOW - what an effing rebel you are, eating your eggs scrambled!  Who would have thought you could be so daring at this stage in life?  And you like strong coffee - what a badass!!  The rest of the players on this commercial are even worse, culminating with the wifey who calls her husband "Texty McTexterson" - good God Almighty.

Listen up, Consumer Cellular - on the basis of this ad alone, I will NEVER use your services.  Piss off and die, already.

(Rant over - I feel better, thanks!)

Edited by mousegirl
  • LOL 7
  • Love 14
16 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Why does the little girl look so angry when the voice over says it's life insurance?

Because there's a disembodied voice behind her?  And she's afraid it's going to team up with her dad to make her drink that green glop next?

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
  • iPhone with creepy singing denim pockets.
  • Some medication for a hand condition - the palm of the guy's hand is talking.  Completely freaky.
  • The ad for the customizing company 4imprint that keeps going on about what "certainty" is.  I don't think I'd be inclined to do business with a company whose tagline reminds me of death and taxes.
  • Love 2

Any and all TD Ameritrade commercials in which a series of aging one-percenters worry whether they'll "have enough" to retire as they idly play darts in their spacious den or chat about their golf games with the bearded spokesman.

I saw the results of a poll today in which respondents were asked what if you had a medical emergency where it was going to cost you $1000 out of pocket.   Only 40% of those polled said they can cover it.  Meaning 60% can't.

• Love 14
9 hours ago, millennium said:

Any and all TD Ameritrade commercials in which a series of aging one-percenters worry whether they'll "have enough" to retire as they idly play darts in their spacious den or chat about their golf games with the bearded spokesman.

I saw the results of a poll today in which respondents were asked what if you had a medical emergency where it was going to cost you $1000 out of pocket.   Only 40% of those polled said they can cover it.  Meaning 60% can't.

And many of the 40% who can, blame the 60% who cannot for their own circumstances. Critical thinking and empathy have gone the way of the dinosaur. I read an article not long ago in the NY Times that was talking about health care and there were actually a large number of comments that blamed people with cancer, diabetes, etc., for their condition. "You should have exercised and had a better diet...." Well, fuckface, I did and got it anyway but thanks for the lecture. 

Bearded guy comes across as sincere in those commercials, but the only one that was remotely close to realistic was the 40-something (maybe 50?) looking couple who managed so save $103k which was a fortune to them. 

Edited by configdotsys
number swap
  • Love 14
10 hours ago, millennium said:

All these investment co. ads have millionaire customers worrying if they'll still be able to take cruises and winter in the Bahamas and ski at Aspen when they retire from the corporate job.  The same worries most people have, not! The average amount Americans actually have in retirement savings is around $85,000.  That's enough to live on for three years with Social Security added.

• Love 8
On 2/21/2019 at 10:10 PM, millennium said:

I unabashedly LOVE the whacko Matthew McConnaughey commercials.   This one raises all kinds of questions -- who are these people anyway and why would Matthew McConnaughey be at their lame party in the first place, and alone?  It's like he wandered in uninvited and nobody had the nerve to ask him to leave.  

Ha!  Maybe that's what that woman has "never seen before," a guy wandering into a party to ignore all the guests and play pool.

12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Why does the little girl look so angry when the voice over says it's life insurance? She's gonna have wrinkles in her face WAY before her time if she keeps that up.

I think it's supposed to be her "say what?!" face.

• Love 1

I’m more distressed that he’s jabbing the cue into someone else’s very nice pool table. Hey McConnaughey, you’re not at a pool hall, how about you take it easy on the felt?

• LOL 3
  • Love 7

The Pepsi commercial with Steve Carrell and that ridiculous pop singer (?) who makes some weird purring sound makes me want to kick in my TV.  Who the heck is that overly painted girl, and why is she shilling Pepsi?  She looks like a hooker, and sounds like a moron, and I want to tell Pepsi this commercial makes me never want to buy their swill again.

• LOL 2
  • Love 12