Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, isiscloud said:

Yep! He did look a lot like his relative. However, I do like the one of the guy whose family thought they were German and wore the lederhousen but turned out to be Scottish. That was cute.

I liked it until he gave up the lederhousen for a kilt. Why? He clearly loved it and the dancing enough to keep doing it way into adulthood. But because he's not really German then he just quits? I really liked it up until that part. Many people grow up thinking their family is from one place and learn their for somewhere else. Why not have this man exploring his Scottish heritage, trying out the kilt and finding out he likes it too. Developing a new interest?  My favorite one is the one with the woman who travels all around the world to experience different places where her family's from and looks like she's having the time of her life. She's not giving up interests she likes or the one who's learning all about her culture. Ah, its not your culture. Your ancestors yes, but unless you were raised in it then its not yours. I liked that commercial too up until that moment. Why not have her say that she's exploring her ancestors' culture?  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, docmatt said:

So, that Mint Mobile ad during the Super Bowl with the chunky milk.  They paid $5,250,000 to make people turn their heads in revulsion.

A bad case of “tell, don’t show.”  Viewers already know chunky milk is bad, we don’t need to see people choking it down.  

• Love 5

I loathe Home Advisor.  I still cringe at the memory of my experience with them when I was getting quotes on a new HVAC system.  Oddly enough, the sales rep who visited me never got back to me with a quote from his company, and I liked him and wanted to give him my business.

I hate commercials that use bad, phony accents to sell things, like Outback Steakhouse and that stupid Trip Advisor owl.  I run for the remote when he comes on.  I hate that bathrobe he's wearing.  It looks like he's practicing karate.  I hate commercials that use screaming to get their message across. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Why not have her say that she's exploring her ancestors' culture?  

I hate when the people are like "I'm from blah blah."  No, you are from Rhode Island.  Your great great great great grandparents are from blah blah.

• Love 10
21 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I hate when the people are like "I'm from blah blah."  No, you are from Rhode Island.  Your great great great great grandparents are from blah blah.

Right? "When I travel to other countries people always ask about my nationality." Yeah? You're a fucking American. Geez.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
8 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Me too. Yes, your great-great-great-great grandparents are from there. You are from where ever you were born or grew up. Oh, I remember the other one they do which I hate. The one where they talk about the badass woman who was a leader, commanded armies and bow down to no one. And her moron descendent thinks that's where she got her strength from? All we see her do is going on a walk or hike. They try to make it seem like they are the same. Ah no the ancestor is clearly awesome, but how is her descendent anything like her? I hate when people claim traits from ancestors so far back. That's theirs not yours. And while they may be passed down in the genes that far down? 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Right? "When I travel to other countries people always ask about my nationality." Yeah? You're a fucking American. Geez.

Yes, you are. Also who ever asks someone their nationality? I've traveled too and I've only ever been asked Where are you from? All they want to know is the country or state your from. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, mojoween said:

After seeing the terrifying child robot TurboTax foisted on us last night, I’ll take the “free” ads all day and twice on Sundays.

That is creepy AF!!  Ugh that was just too weird.  Also the Olay Skin Care killer was just stupid.

• Love 3
On 2/2/2019 at 5:35 PM, chessiegal said:

I don't understand Liberty Mutual's new pitch that you can customize your coverage for what you need. Don't all insurance companies do that? We've had State Farm forever. My husband realized my 15 year old car was over insured and had it changed.

After the last round of (ANNOYING) Liberty Mutual commercials that essentially suggested the company INCLUDES add-on coverages such as accident forgiveness, new-car replacement, etc., in its standard policies -- NOW the company is saying "Hey! You pay less cuz you can get only what you need!"

Totally shady. Plus, this new volley of weapons-grade stupid is even MORE obnoxious than the prior ads. It's got me so riled, I wrote a scathing review of the campaign on my blog -- click my profile pic and follow the website URL if you're interested.

Edit: Checked the TOS and I think it's OK to link to my post: https://thecrankycreative.com/liberty-mutual-commercials-no-safe-harbor-bad-ads/

Edited by TheCrankyCreative
  • Love 5
On 1/31/2019 at 3:30 PM, blueray said:

I don't like this commercial either. For some dumb reason it bothers me seeing the "family" members dropping whatever they are doing at that exact moment.  The mom would be fired, the girl would be dumped, the to other girl would lose her friends. And the bell is annoying.

Also stupid is that school appears to be over for the kids in the family-one is at cheerleading practice and the other is with her boyfriend-but the mom is still teaching a class?  What the hey time is it?

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, MaryPatShelby said:

Also stupid is that school appears to be over for the kids in the family-one is at cheerleading practice and the other is with her boyfriend-but the mom is still teaching a class?  What the hey time is it?

The layout of the room suggests that Mom is teaching a college class and those can run into evening; so, when would a kid be at cheerleading practice? Mid afternoon?

• Love 3

That beer ad with the ASMR in it was annoying as hell.  ASMR annoys me to begin with, but the whispering is just blackboard scratching

I have teenage boys and they invited friends over for the Super Bowl. They all LOVED it and kept talking about how sexy it was.

They were wrong,

• Love 4
4 hours ago, partofme said:

I just saw the most obnoxious commercial with Steve Carrell for Pepsi and I wanted to scream at the tv that Pepsi is never okay.

As the saying goes, mileage may vary.

Haven't seen the commercial, but must stand up for Pepsi.  I love Pepsi, much to the amusement of my Coca Cola loving father.  I have responded to the question if Pepsi was okay with a cheery oh that's better.  I have also been know to get down right giddy to find I can get RC cola at a restaurant.

• Love 3

OMG the AMSR stuff is so bloody annoying!  It's for people who enjoy when a live bug gets stuck in their ear...

I'm finding those weird little O'Keefes hand cream commercials more and more annoying.  You see a few seconds of what they consider to be a "lame" commercial for a product like theirs, and then the real spokesperson takes over and talks about O'Keefes.  I get the point that they are pushing - that O'Keefes isn't some dainty cosmetic lotion or something - but the setup is weird.  It's always someone out skiing or putting gas in their car and for some reason there's a TV screen there for them to watch the lame ad on.  The contrivance annoys me, lol...

Edited by Zevious Zoquis
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, elle said:

As the saying goes, mileage may vary.

Haven't seen the commercial, but must stand up for Pepsi.  I love Pepsi, much to the amusement of my Coca Cola loving father.  I have responded to the question if Pepsi was okay with a cheery oh that's better.  I have also been know to get down right giddy to find I can get RC cola at a restaurant.

14 hours ago, partofme said:

I just saw the most obnoxious commercial with Steve Carrell for Pepsi and I wanted to scream at the tv that Pepsi is never okay.

I like Pepsi too but ITA Steve Carrell was annoying AF in this commercial!  Who cares if it's "O.K." or not, jeez dude sit the F down.  I did however like Lil John and Cardi B in it.  I think they should have just had those 2 in it and gotten rid on Steve.

Carrell was the only one I recognized in the commercial,.  I think Pepsi tastes like water and I'd rather just drink water, but Carrell must have been extra annoying for me to care about the commercial.  Coke girl here.  

• Love 5
On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 12:39 PM, peacheslatour said:

God I hate that woman.  Hispanic is your ethnicity, you moron, not your nationality!

18 hours ago, partofme said:

Exactly!  Pepsi is like flat, extra sweet fake Coke, and Steve Carrell ain't gonna change that.

• Love 7

I noticed there's a new commercial with the Chevy focus group douchebag in which alligators are released into the room while in thir product. It reminds if the earlier one in which the douchebag offered a choice of cages in which to take refuge from a grizzly bear in the room.

On 2/2/2019 at 6:38 PM, peacheslatour said:

Yes and if Betty Grable could insure her legs then Mr. Cyclistguy can insure his ugly calves.

I don't think calve implants can be insured. 

On 2/3/2019 at 8:45 PM, isiscloud said:

Yep! He did look a lot like his relative. However, I do like the one of the guy whose family thought they were German and wore the lederhousen but turned out to be Scottish. That was cute.

I thought he originally thought he was Scottish before jumping on the Bavarian bandwagon. 

• Love 1

Got into a fender bender Saturday afternoon in a parking lot. Exchanged information along with insurance information. The guy who own the car I hit while trying to pull into the spot next to him called the police after I suggested it in case our insurance companies needed it for the claim to get his vehicle repaired. I hope my insurance company does not want me to make an idiot of myself in one of their commercials. My insurance company has been great. Our agent called us Monday evening to see if we were okay after getting the claim report. Take that Liberty Mutual! I wanted to say my ego and pride were injured because I am usually a safe and cautious driver in parking lots.

Edited by bigskygirl

This commercial has become annoying just by virtue of the fact that it's on all the time on every channel I watch:

This commercial has become annoying just by virtue of the fact that it's on all the time on every channel I watch:

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I like both the idea of the commercial, and the music, but it gets run during nearly every commercial break I see.  Too much.

• Love 1

What the literal F is the point of this commercial for Chevy Equinox? Why would there be alligators around your car? Ok, I guess if you live in Florida, or somewhere else near a swamp, where there are alligators, but wouldn't you already know there are alligators? And these people are in a studio somewhere testing a feature. Alligators? Really? "Good thing we have these surround cameras!" Except, they're trapped. It's not like they can drive away from wherever they are. They have to sit there and wait for the alligator wranglers before they can get out again.

• Love 5

I think the point is "see all the extra visibility you have with these cameras". They're not prepping for a real alligator scenario (nor implying that's a common real life use case), just using an extreme to illustrate you can see all over at low heights, be it alligators, or the neighbor's chihuahua, or a horde of belly-crawling zombies. That type of visibility is a real concern with SUVs like the equinox so I don't think it's terribly preposterous to want to highlight it.I'd rather watch slow gators approach than say...releasing a ton of mice or something else to swarm the vehicle.

8 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

They're not prepping for a real alligator scenario (nor implying that's a common real life use case), just using an extreme to illustrate you can see all over at low heights, be it alligators, or the neighbor's chihuahua, or a horde of belly-crawling zombies.

One problem with this ad is that there are three alligators surrounding the car, but the display is only showing one. Having a feature like that not work reliably is worse than not having it at all.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Ok, this commercial has been around for a while, so may have been covered...and maybe even on the "Favorite Commercials" thread, but i HATE the Cadillac commercial with that STUPID "Let Me In" song...put me off Cadillacs for life 

• Love 2

So, when I was teaching middle school, a colleague taught me a response to students who want to shock by calling you a f****** bitch, or something similar:  "You say that like you think it's a BAD thing."  Stops them cold.

Oprah's horrible-sounding pizza with 1/3 of the crust made of cauliflower:  my first thought was, "You say that like you think it's a GOOD thing."   Ohhh, I don't think that's good.

• Love 16
3 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Ok, this commercial has been around for a while, so may have been covered...and maybe even on the "Favorite Commercials" thread, but i HATE the Cadillac commercial with that STUPID "Let Me In" song...put me off Cadillacs for life 

Is that the song that starts with something like "got a booty like a Cadillac"? If so, I'm right there with you.

• Love 1

Behold! Behold & feel my pain:

Watch "Paragard TV Commercial, 'No Hormones!' (60 sec)" on YouTube

The dance moves remind of something I did as a high school cheerleader in the '90s. I thought the shame was buried long ago. And I can't get the lyrics out of my mind.

• Love 1

As I stopped in here to type this post, a commercial for Arm-n-Hammer cat litter came on with the cat people. o.O  Creepy is an understatement.

I suspect the GrubHub commercial with the guy ordering everything is really a bipolar med commercial in disguise.  All they need to do is replace the nails on chalkboard song with the voice over for the Vraylar med.   In the longer version of the commercial we see the guy has a bunch of friends helping him eat all the food he ordered.  It made me think that it would have been a better commercial if they showed the guy having unexpected visitors show up, one after the other, and then we see him ordering food as each new group arrives.

There is a cheese commercial that wants us to know that they don't have hormones in their product by showing us a sister complaining about a brother who is "blinking too loud" with the assertion that "you don't need any more hormones" in the house.  Whoever approved that copy doesn't understand that isn't hormones, that is siblings!

• Love 8
On 2/6/2019 at 9:29 PM, Brattinella said:

Oh, I was thinking "Let me in, wee-ooo"  I'm so old.

Me too and I wasn't remembering that song used in any current commercials. And Jamoche, thanks for the translation, I'm so old, I had no clue what they were singing in that song.

• Love 1
On 2/6/2019 at 10:29 PM, Brattinella said:

Oh, I was thinking "Let me in, wee-ooo"  I'm so old.

Yep, that's the one!! I was 8 years old when that song was popular (so yes, old now)...hated it then, and still do

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Yep, that's the one!! I was 8 years old when that song was popular (so yes, old now)...hated it then, and still do

"Let Me In" (wee-ooooo; hooh wee-ooooo) was in the Top Ten when I got my first "transistor radio." I felt like SUCH a teenager!  ...so I tend to have a soft spot for that song, even if it is annoying. I sing along with the commercial and keep singing when the commercial's over. LOL.

• Love 6

There's this Revlon (?) commercial at the beginning of which Eva Longoria very slowly and clearly pronounces "hyaluronic" so that we know it has five syllables.  If they were going to go out of their way to do that so prominently, then they probably should have given the memo to the voiceover person, because she pronounces it with four syllables.  I don't detect the slightest bit of that extra syllable.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Me too and I wasn't remembering that song used in any current commercials. And Jamoche, thanks for the translation, I'm so old, I had no clue what they were singing in that song.

It took a *lot* of repeats before I figured out the "booty" part. Unfortunately it was always the first ad in the block and it took me just that long to grab the remote, so I had a lot of chances.

• Love 1

Woman at yoga class, with a pile of bread on the floor next to her mat. Why? Because back at her house, her husband and kids are busy ransacking the place gangsta-style, slicing up sofa cushions, emptying food out of the cupboards, etc., trying to find the Kings Hawaiian bread. As yoga woman enters the house, her husband's leg crashes through the ceiling, as he is evidently searching in the attic for bread. 

I'm SICK of these lazily-written ads that want to show us how consumers will behave idiotically/criminally in order to get their product (see my previous rant about the Purple mattress ads). It makes me insanely antagonistic toward their stuff and I simply don't believe this kind of ad sells anything.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
17 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Woman at yoga class, with a pile of bread on the floor next to her mat. Why? Because back at her house, her husband and kids are busy ransacking the place gangsta-style, slicing up sofa cushions, emptying food out of the cupboards, etc., trying to find the Kings Hawaiian bread. As yoga woman enters the house, her husband's leg crashes through the ceiling, as he is evidently searching in the attic for bread. 

I'm SICK of these lazily-written ads that want to show us how consumers will behave idiotically/criminally in order to get their product (see my previous rant about the Purple mattress ads). It makes me insanely antagonistic toward their stuff and I simply don't believe this kind of ad sells anything.

I hate the one with the duct taped baby.

• Love 2

with relation to the Kings Hawaiian bread rolls, my dislike is the Grandmother who gets into the rolls and sets off alarms and ends up with the colored dye on her face. The person buying the rolls is apparently having a party, for which they bought one package of rolls! For goodness sake, if you're having a party, you buy several packages and then let Grandma have a roll, the old woman is hungry and wants a roll, if her family didn't starve her she might not be doing midnight searches of the house scrounging for food.

• Love 14