Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

35 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

Help people!!!  My friends & I were talking about "old" commercials & someone remembered a commercial for a product that was advertised with a jingle that ended with "we show you how to use it".  Thanks in advance!!

There's a thread for requesting help in identifying old commercials, so post your query there and maybe the sleuths/those with great memories who follow that thread can help.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

FREE, FREE, FREE———FREE FREE.  I despise that Turbo Tax commercial where all they say is free.  It’s idiotic and insults everyone’s intelligence.  

I hate these commercials, too! I just pray to God that we don’t have to keep listening to them until tax season is over mid April!

• Love 4

Just seeing the commercial for the funniest super bowl commercial of all time.  One of the ones they are teasing  is the puppy- monkey-baby commercial. Probably the super bowl commercial I hate the most ever. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 13
14 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

FREE, FREE, FREE———FREE FREE.  I despise that Turbo Tax commercial where all they say is free.  It’s idiotic and insults everyone’s intelligence.  

Yesterday I had the misfortune of seeing (hearing) this one and a Liberty Mutual commercial one after another.

FREE FREE, FREE FREE FREE--

LIBERDY LIBERDY LIBERDY LIBERDY--

Madison-Avenue hotshots, you all suck terribly.

• Love 15
On 1/24/2019 at 8:40 PM, partofme said:

This is a local commercial that I hate, I think it's produced by New York State of Health, in the commercial this man is comparing soda to cigarettes, and I don't know if it's just the guy's tone of voice, but he says "so which one is really bad for you?" And I think there's an implication in his statement that cigarettes aren't bad for you and that makes me ragey.

I've seen that one. He's saying that drinking soda is as bad as cigarette smoking, but we don't regulate soda the way we regulate cigarettes.

There was talk of the pretentious Peloton commercials a while back. This guy on Twitter ran with it (the print ads, but the thread is hilarious).

@ClueHeywood

• Love 3

The Silver Sneakers commercial where you’re in the POV of the person coming to exercise and you’re greeted by fellow exercisers? GRRRRRRR. Full disclosure: I’m probably closer to their target demo than 90% of the people who post here (actually, I may already be there). And I LOATHE this commercial. “Saved you a seat.” “This one’s on me.” “Can you spot me?” “Come on in!” If I was the POV person I’d be screaming, “Stop smothering me!” and getting my exercise by running away as far and as fast as I can. I do NOT want to finish getting old if the only thing I have to look forward to is being one of the Silver Sneakers pod people.

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 12
9 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Just seeing the commercial for the funniest super bowl commercial of all time.  One of the ones they are teasing  is the puppy- monkey-baby commercial. Probably the super bowl commercial I hate the most ever. 

Totally agree, that thing is creepy & gross!

• Love 4

I thought the old Purple mattress ads with the guy who has eggs taped on his back (and gets dropped on the mattress) were annoying, but the latest series absolutely enrage me.

These feature 1) the neighbors who are all trying to con or actually break in to the woman's house to sleep on her new Purple mattress, 2) the one with 2 burglars who fall asleep on the mattress and wake up next to 2 cops who are also sleeping on the mattress, and 3) the geezer who abandoned his family 20 years ago who shows up at his son's door because he wants to sleep on his new Purple mattress.

Aren't commercials supposed to give you good feels about the product? Who thinks this ad campaign does anything positive for Purple?

• Love 7
16 hours ago, kirinan said:

The Silver Sneakers commercial where you’re in the POV of the person coming to exercise and you’re greeted by fellow exercisers? GRRRRRRR. Full disclosure: I’m probably closer to their target demo than 90% of the people who post here (actually, I may already be there). And I LOATHE this commercial. “Saved you a seat.” “This one’s on me.” “Can you spot me?” “Come on in!” If I was the POV person I’d be screaming, “Stop smothering me!” and getting my exercise by running away as far and as fast as I can. I do NOT want to finish getting old if the only thing I have to look forward to is being one of the Silver Sneakers pod people.

I'm not disparaging all Silver Sneakers members, but the ones who used to come to the community center where I took aquacize drove me up the wall.  They would come super early, all crowd the low end of the pool because most of them couldn't swim (I can, but 5'1" me was unable to touch bottom further back - the taller people could have gone farther back and still not need to worry about not being able to swim), and they'd socialize rather than take the class.  One would not want to do certain exercises, and when the instructor asked her to not do what she was doing because she might hurt herself, she'd just shoot back that it was how she exercised, and that was that.  Also, because they couldn't swim, they'd whine if the instructor wanted to do deep water aquacize (which is heaven for my arthritic joints).  They offered flotation belts, but they still wouldn't do it, and the instructor would eventually just stop doing deep water.  They all drove together in 2 or 3 cars, so there was no getting around them.  And they'd pig up the locker room (but complain it was the younger kids who would do it).

• Love 2

I dislike the Purple Mattress ads, but the one neighbor in the green sweater? I want her necklace. It's similar to one worn by the adopters of Juneau on Pit Bulls and Parolees. I don't wear jewelry anymore as I spend most of my time confined to one room with 2 large dogs. I don't go much of any where other than the grocery store and the doctor's office. But I want that necklace.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I'm not disparaging all Silver Sneakers members, but the ones who used to come to the community center where I took aquacize drove me up the wall.  They would come super early, all crowd the low end of the pool because most of them couldn't swim (I can, but 5'1" me was unable to touch bottom further back - the taller people could have gone farther back and still not need to worry about not being able to swim), and they'd socialize rather than take the class.  One would not want to do certain exercises, and when the instructor asked her to not do what she was doing because she might hurt herself, she'd just shoot back that it was how she exercised, and that was that.  Also, because they couldn't swim, they'd whine if the instructor wanted to do deep water aquacize (which is heaven for my arthritic joints).  They offered flotation belts, but they still wouldn't do it, and the instructor would eventually just stop doing deep water.  They all drove together in 2 or 3 cars, so there was no getting around them.  And they'd pig up the locker room (but complain it was the younger kids who would do it).

My dad, who will be 90 years old in July, still goes to our local YMCA 4 or 5 days a week to work out. He tried Silver Sneakers his first two mornings at the Y, and couldn't get away from them fast enough. When I asked him why, he said (think of this in a cranky-old-guy voice--and he was referring to both the men and the women), "Dammit, they don't want to exercise, they just want to tell you HOW to exercise, then they want to talk some more, then they want go out and gossip over coffee when they're done NOT exercising. If I wanted to talk to them I'd go straight to the damn restaurant and skip the gym. I don't need a bunch of damn old people telling me what to do." And now he works out happily on his own at the Y in the afternoon, exactly the way he wants, and he has his own group of rogue elderly fellow exercisers he can talk to--or not--as they all choose. 

And to bring it back around on topic, every time he sees the Silver Sneakers commercial, he can't flip the station fast enough. You can see who I take after, LOL. 

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 14
22 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I've seen that one. He's saying that drinking soda is as bad as cigarette smoking, but we don't regulate soda the way we regulate cigarettes.

There was talk of the pretentious Peloton commercials a while back. This guy on Twitter ran with it (the print ads, but the thread is hilarious).

@ClueHeywood

Thank you, thank you, thank you! These made my day. My Peloton commercial hatred knows no bounds and this guy has finely honed sarcasm skills that I can only hope to develop some day.

• Love 3
On 1/30/2019 at 10:34 AM, sempervivum said:

I thought the old Purple mattress ads with the guy who has eggs taped on his back (and gets dropped on the mattress) were annoying, but the latest series absolutely enrage me.

These feature 1) the neighbors who are all trying to con or actually break in to the woman's house to sleep on her new Purple mattress, 2) the one with 2 burglars who fall asleep on the mattress and wake up next to 2 cops who are also sleeping on the mattress, and 3) the geezer who abandoned his family 20 years ago who shows up at his son's door because he wants to sleep on his new Purple mattress.

Aren't commercials supposed to give you good feels about the product? Who thinks this ad campaign does anything positive for Purple?

Because those mattresses are allegedly so awesome, that people will do crazy and stupid things to be able to sleep on one. That's all I've got. And I hate those commercials too. 

• Love 2
On ‎01‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 9:57 PM, Jaded said:

This Johnnie Walker commercial has been driving me crazy lately. It's not the visual content that annoys me and I know the woman in it can't help it that she has that voice. I think it's the wording, that it's for Scotch whisky and the fact that it seems to be on every channel at night all the damn time.

From the side, she looks like Billie Piper, and sounds like if Billie Piper had a Scottish accent.  It's not Billie Piper, but she's just as bad.

• Love 1
On 1/25/2019 at 8:04 PM, Lotus88 said:

I utterly despise the Domino's pizza commercial where the dad plays this ANNOYING bell to summon his family members home for dinner. The bell is most irritating and it triggers my misophonia. Grrr. I can never change the channel fast enough when that commercial plays.

I don't like this commercial either. For some dumb reason it bothers me seeing the "family" members dropping whatever they are doing at that exact moment.  The mom would be fired, the girl would be dumped, the to other girl would lose her friends. And the bell is annoying.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

From the side, she looks like Billie Piper, and sounds like if Billie Piper had a Scottish accent.  It's not Billie Piper, but she's just as bad.

She is just as bad and does kind of remind me of Billie Piper after you mentioned her.

16 hours ago, blueray said:

I don't like this commercial either. For some dumb reason it bothers me seeing the "family" members dropping whatever they are doing at that exact moment.  The mom would be fired, the girl would be dumped, the to other girl would lose her friends. And the bell is annoying.

All I hear when I hear those singers making the bell sound is the word, "DONG!!!!" Which immediately activates my inner 12-year-old, LOL. My husband thinks they're saying, "DOM!!!!" for Dominos. Either way, DUMB!!!!

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, blueray said:

I don't like this [Domino's] commercial either. For some dumb reason it bothers me seeing the "family" members dropping whatever they are doing at that exact moment.  The mom would be fired, the girl would be dumped, the to other girl would lose her friends. And the bell is annoying.

On a related note, there is an ad campaign for a buffalo wings place featuring people rudely ditching people for some chicken wings.

• A man looking for houses with his pregnant wife leaps out a 2nd story window
  • A man flees a team-building meeting at work via the ceiling
  • A man "army crawls" his way out of a PTA meeting (and gets busted!)
  • A man taking photos at a family gathering backs into a hedge and flees from the other side

Holy crap! These guys deserve to get their arses kicked!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

On a related note, there is an ad campaign for a buffalo wings place featuring people rudely ditching people for some chicken wings.

• A man looking for houses with his pregnant wife leaps out a 2nd story window
  • A man flees a team-building meeting at work via the ceiling
  • A man "army crawls" his way out of a PTA meeting (and gets busted!)
  • A man taking photos at a family gathering backs into a hedge and flees from the other side

Holy crap! These guys deserve to get their arses kicked!

Wow!  I haven't seen these yet!

23 hours ago, Popples said:

I've only seen the PTA meeting one. I have to admit it makes me laugh because he's so damn obvious about it

Haven't we all been in meetings where we were tempted to do that?

• Love 5

There’s a Chili’s commercial that annoys me. It’s something about 3 for $10. What really annoys me is that the end features one of the kid’s friends who never leaves and is sitting at the head of the table mooching a free meal. The tween/teen looks so smug that he has finagled another free meal from these people and all I can think of is that he has lousy parents who are raising a future freeloader. 

• Love 5

I don't understand Liberty Mutual's new pitch that you can customize your coverage for what you need. Don't all insurance companies do that? We've had State Farm forever. My husband realized my 15 year old car was over insured and had it changed.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, chessiegal said:

I don't understand Liberty Mutual's new pitch that you can customize your coverage for what you need. Don't all insurance companies do that? We've had State Farm forever. My husband realized my 15 year old car was over insured and had it changed.

Yes and if Betty Grable could insure her legs then Mr. Cyclistguy can insure his ugly calves.

• Love 13
On 1/27/2019 at 8:03 AM, chenoa333 said:

This happened to me about 20 years ago. I went to buy a used car and had zero credit history. The car salesman laughed at me and said "Have you been in prison all this time?"

Of course not. But I got the car!

Same thing with my husband, lol.  He has always paid for everything in cash and moved to buy his first house in 2011 (before we were together) and the mortgage guy was like, "Did you drop in from Mars?"  Having zero credit can bring your score down - kinds sucks but that is the way it works.  Gotta prove you can pay stuff on time!

• Love 4

yeah, the calves are stupid and it's a pretty stupid commercial, but I dislike the other one with Landry, the guy that jumps over the rail. I only remember the name because of the Dallas Cowboys' longtime coach. I lived in DC during those years and since I was told I "had to love the Redskins", I rooted for the Cowboys. But other than that, I don't really care much about football. I will be watching The Puppy Bowl tomorrow and will feel no guilt whatsoever. If the Chiefs had been in it, I would still watch the Puppy Bowl, but I would feel a teensy amount of guilt.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Jamoche said:

Ziplok ad jingle: "With imagina-sh-yeah-yeah-yeah."

Just - why? Why not finish the word before going into the yeah yeah yeahs? Every ad break, sh-yeah.

Sh-no.

It's amazing they actually sounded out four out of the word's five syllables instead of just scrunching it into a two-syllable attempted slang term!

Edited by Blergh
correcting unimaginative syllable count
  • Love 1

I'm hesitant to bring this up because of the earlier conversation accusing Joan Lunden of telling us to "warehouse" our elderly parents....but the commercial I hate right now is the one starting with "mom started to lose her words", and ends with "because Dad made us promise to keep Mom at home."

I called APFM when my mother-in-law started needing help. You call in and tell them information and then they share it with aLLall of the nursing homes/agencies in the area who call relentlessly. They make any other telemarketers look like pikers. Do your own research.

HATE the Liberty Mutual ads with the power of a thousand suns. My husband hates the Wayfair jingle so that means we're always muting the TV.

I see that Ancestry has brought back the couple who finds out that he isn't as Italian as he thought. It seems like they've updated it where the wife doesn't say "I thought my husband was Italian..." and then later again repeats it, but says something like "we're not as Italian as we thought." No, lady, YOU are not as whatever as your husband unless you're that closely related, which would be REALLY bad!!!

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, isiscloud said:

I called APFM when my mother-in-law started needing help. You call in and tell them information and then they share it with aLLall of the nursing homes/agencies in the area who call relentlessly. They make any other telemarketers look like pikers. Do your own research.

HATE the Liberty Mutual ads with the power of a thousand suns. My husband hates the Wayfair jingle so that means we're always muting the TV.

I see that Ancestry has brought back the couple who finds out that he isn't as Italian as he thought. It seems like they've updated it where the wife doesn't say "I thought my husband was Italian..." and then later again repeats it, but says something like "we're not as Italian as we thought." No, lady, YOU are not as whatever as your husband unless you're that closely related, which would be REALLY bad!!!

I second this. I used Home Advisor to find a roofer. I have been called at all times of day, emailed relentlessly and generally bugged to death.

"Turns out WE'RE Eastern European." Wait, WHAT?

• Love 3

"Turns out WE'RE Eastern European." Wait, WHAT?

Yep! He did look a lot like his relative. However, I do like the one of the guy whose family thought they were German and wore the lederhousen but turned out to be Scottish. That was cute.

• Love 1