Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I know it’s been around a while, but I hate the Phil Mickelson commercial for Enbrel.   The girl who claims to be his daughter, but in the small print it says “actor portrayal” , just bugs the heck out of me.  

And his eyes are so oddly vivid -- like he's the son of Peter O'Toole and Dr. Boring Eyes from the Restasis ads.

• Love 4

Enough with the little girl rapping about the car she's sitting in. Her voice gets very annoying very fast. I noticed that the people in the car keep changing. Couldn't they find anyone willing to sit through it all for what they were getting paid? You don't see much of sales-dad; maybe he couldn't take it either and had to sit out most of the filming.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Why don't they ever have bacon flavored cat products?

Cat's are Jewish? Actually, according to Purina's web site, they do have some Friskies "accented" with bacon flavoring, but nothing where it's the main meat. Maybe you can't safely preserve a pork product in a way a cat would like it.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mmecorday said:

And his eyes are so oddly vivid -- like he's the son of Peter O'Toole and Dr. Boring Eyes from the Restasis ads.

In ads he reminds me of the Cupcake Dog. I tried to find an image of him to compare, and when he's golfing he looks much more natural.

Cupcake_Dog.jpg

• Love 11
On 1/20/2019 at 11:09 AM, Ubiquitous said:

There's a new "real people" Chevy ad with the douchebag facilitator...

I'm still seeing (as of yesterday) the one where douchebag facilitator is quoting some questionable survey regarding auto reliability. I thought that one was pulled? 

• Love 4
On 1/20/2019 at 6:02 PM, xaxat said:

Awww hell no! No self respecting Yinzer (Pittsburgh native) would ever do that. Even if they are married, when it's game time. . . it's game time. 

Take that jersey away from her now!

I am appalled.

62LB.gif 

Edited by Popples
  • Love 3

Any one of McDonald's new ads, because it uses the HALLOWEEN JINGLE in JANUARY! It's WAY TOO LATE to use that jingle. Use a regular jingle in January for crying out loud! Almost considering to go to Burger King or Wendy's when I turn 18, if this too late Halloween jingle still gets used into February.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, tyson67roberts said:

Any one of McDonald's new ads, because it uses the HALLOWEEN JINGLE in JANUARY! It's WAY TOO LATE to use that jingle. Use a regular jingle in January for crying out loud! Almost considering to go to Burger King or Wendy's when I turn 18, if this too late Halloween jingle still gets used into February.

Maybe they're using it for THIS Halloween! Look at the bright side, at least they've  not been using the Christmas Jingle from December 26th on for this coming Christmas (but that may happen next year ). 

On 1/19/2019 at 8:27 AM, smittykins said:

I just think it’s funny that Frank Thomas is shilling a “supplement” that would most likely have gotten him suspended were he still playing.

I think it's funny that Frank Thomas is seen as some kind of hunky sex symbol in those commercials.   I find nothing "sexy" about him.  Just a big ol' 'roided up slab of meat.

• Love 12
21 hours ago, Haleth said:

I'm still seeing (as of yesterday) the one where douchebag facilitator is quoting some questionable survey regarding auto reliability. I thought that one was pulled? 

I think in the one I've been seeing, douchebag is making people at a family reunion choose from the cars he brought with him.

• Love 1
On 1/20/2019 at 6:12 PM, KLovestoShop said:

I know it’s been around a while, but I hate the Phil Mickelson commercial for Enbrel.   The girl who claims to be his daughter, but in the small print it says “actor portrayal” , just bugs the heck out of me.  

Is that the one where they keep hiding her face?  That's just stupid.  If they're going for an actor portrayal, just do it, don't be coy about it.

• Love 6
On 1/19/2019 at 9:40 PM, SmithW6079 said:

So, yes, there is a right way to be a philanthropist.

That is from the Bible, but what about people who don't believe in the Bible?  

See, I've heard comments like that about Oprah, but what is she to do?  Better to do good things and to make it about her, than to do nothing at all or worse to do bad things and brag about it.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 9
On ‎01‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 2:32 AM, elle said:

Yes that was Anthony Head and Sharon Maughan as the woman.

Wikipedia page on the Gold Blend Couple

And her ex was played by Sharon Maughan's real-life husband, Trevor Eve.

Hyundai's new commercials bug not so much for the commercial itself, but for the line at the end about a special bonus for federal employees affected by the government shutdown.  Hey Hyundai, give that bonus to the employees who already bought your cars and will be struggling with the payments - federal employees aren't likely to be in the market for new cars right now.

• Love 6

Hey Hyundai, give that bonus to the employees who already bought your cars and will be struggling with the payments - federal employees aren't likely to be in the market for new cars right now.

A fact of which I'm sure they are quite aware. They just want to look like they're helping by doing absolutely nothing.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

The IRS & taxes are here to stay.  If we don't pay taxes, we don't have roads, public schools, civil services, armed forces, housing authorities, welfare offices, veterans assistance....

But they don't have to be income taxes.

• Love 1
On 1/21/2019 at 1:47 PM, LoneHaranguer said:

Cat's are Jewish? Actually, according to Purina's web site, they do have some Friskies "accented" with bacon flavoring, but nothing where it's the main meat. Maybe you can't safely preserve a pork product in a way a cat would like it.

I had a Yiddishe kitty. She wouldn't eat shrimp, ham or bacon. When I gave her some pizza, she ate the cheese, but left the pepperoni. She would eat lox & bagels and matzoh ball soup. (She'd lap up the broth & come back later when the matzoh ball wasn't so hot & then eat it.) When I made latkes for her for Hanukkah, I had to leave out the onions, 'cause they're bad for kitties, but she gobbled them up. The biggest clue that she was Jewish, though, was her mother was Pittypat Friedman.

I think the concept of scented cat litter that smells like baby powder is really stupid. MY stuff smells like baby powder. I don't want the cats thinking they can poop on my stuff. They should make scented cat litter that smells like potting soil.

• Love 22

the ad for one of those online credit score "services" with the two incredibly annoying "bro chicks" talking about an apartment.  When the one girl describes how great the apartment she saw is and she breaks into song about how it's "a 15 minute commute to work" I get a little stabby.  Then when the other girl tells the guy at the next table to keep his eyes to himself because "this apartment is hers" I get a little more stabby.  

And wtf is the benefit of being able to look up my credit score? I love these ads that make it seem like there's some great mystery about credit ratings - like a person would be shocked to discover they had a bad credit score or something.  "Hmmmmm, let's see...I failed to pay off that $30k student loan 25 years ago plus I missed 6 or 10 mortgage payments over the past few years and I currently owe $50k on my 12 credit cards.  Let's have a look here at my credit ratinnnnnnnnnnng......BWAH!!!???? 3???? my credit rating is 3????  out of 1000?????  whyyyyyyyyyyy??????????" And once I do have this credit score revealed to me how does that change what I'm doing?  "Oh if only I had a numerical rating telling me exactly how bad my credit is...THEN I'd be able to finally figure out how to manage my life!"

There's an ad I see all the time for a car dealership who apparently don't care if you have bad credit.  The ad features some dude describing his experience buying an "awesome truck" (because everyone wants an awesome truck). As he describes his situation when he was shopping for an awesome truck he notes off-handedly "aaaaaaaaand I didn't have a very good credit rating."  In essence, we've now been informed that the guy shilling for this car company is a dope who can't manage his finances.  Just the kind of guy you want to get advice from about major expenditures...

Edited by Zevious Zoquis
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Zevious Zoquis said:

And wtf is the benefit of being able to look up my credit score? I love these ads that make it seem like there's some great mystery about credit ratings - like a person would be shocked to discover they had a bad credit score or something.  "Hmmmmm, let's see...I failed to pay off that $30k student loan 25 years ago plus I missed 6 or 10 mortgage payments over the past few years and I currently owe $50k on my 12 credit cards.  Let's have a look here at my credit ratinnnnnnnnnnng......BWAH!!!???? 3???? my credit rating is 3????  out of 1000?????  whyyyyyyyyyyy??????????" And once I do have this credit score revealed to me how does that change what I'm doing?  "Oh if only I had a numerical rating telling me exactly how bad my credit is...THEN I'd be able to finally figure out how to manage my life!"

When I worked for a collection agency, I was amazed at how many people who had no clue what their credit rating was, and I'm talking people who weren't deadbeats.  I had a co-worker who had no idea why she couldn't get a car loan.  I had her pull her credit reports (which was done by mail back then) and she had tons of credit cards all maxed out, and she was paying just the minimum.  She had absolutely no clue that would affect her ability to get a loan.

The nice thing about companies like Credit Karma is that they can help you with a plan to improve your credit.  Some of those services offer nice tools to show you how much quicker you can pay off your cards and debt if you add just nominal amounts to the payments.  And as your score improves, they make recommendations for cards that have balance transfer rates that are better, etc.

Credit Karma also gives you access to two of the three credit reporting agencies, so you can see if there are errors, etc, and they help you file disputes.  If you have sterling credit, it's not helpful, but if you're trying to improve, as I was for many years, it does help.  The commercials, however, are stupid.  Agreed on that part.

• Love 15

My MasterCard checks my credit score every month and posts it for me to see.  It just tickles me to see it because I had been unemployed for several years and had over $17K in credit card debt. I had to get a home equity line of credit to get caught up and have been paying that baby off for over a decade already. I've only got $1900 to go!  AND I had done a very stupid thing - I co-signed a Rooms To Go loan for my friend to by new furniture. Of course, he defaulted and it fell to me to pay it off. The loan lasted longer than the furniture did.  So, yeah, my credit score was bad for many years, but it's improved greatly, and I like seeing that every month.

• Love 11
28 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

My MasterCard checks my credit score every month and posts it for me to see.  It just tickles me to see it because I had been unemployed for several years and had over $17K in credit card debt. I had to get a home equity line of credit to get caught up and have been paying that baby off for over a decade already. I've only got $1900 to go!  AND I had done a very stupid thing - I co-signed a Rooms To Go loan for my friend to by new furniture. Of course, he defaulted and it fell to me to pay it off. The loan lasted longer than the furniture did.  So, yeah, my credit score was bad for many years, but it's improved greatly, and I like seeing that every month.

That's really great! My Discover Card and my bank both would tell me it every month. I used to ignore because it was in the crapper for a few years I defaulted on some medical bills and the others went to collections which destroyed my once great school. Its bounced back a little since finally paying off the rest thanks to the help of my parents. Plus I have no money and no job (I'm unable to work thanks to my medical problems) so I can't buy anything there's nothing to default on. Then of course because the Universe likes to be hilarious my mom's credit score got destroyed thanks to her medical problems. Two years of strokes, seizures, and sky rocking medical bills, ambulance bills, credit cards, home equity, and etc. It was a nightmare. After my mom passed my dad took out a second mortgage on the house which was the only thing that wiped them all out. Because almost everything had been in Mom's name my dad ended up having a really good score that got him. Its really scary that it really doesn't take much to end up in so much debt. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, funky-rat said:

Credit Karma also gives you access to two of the three credit reporting agencies, so you can see if there are errors, etc, and they help you file disputes.  If you have sterling credit, it's not helpful, but if you're trying to improve, as I was for many years, it does help.  The commercials, however, are stupid.  Agreed on that part.

Doesn't Credit Karma charge for this?  You can get your credit reports for free from all 3 agencies.  It's not complicated. 

4 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Doesn't Credit Karma charge for this?  You can get your credit reports for free from all 3 agencies.  It's not complicated. 

No. It's a free service.  Yes, you can get all of your credit reports once a year.  After that, you have to pay.  And if you're working on cleaning your credit, having to continually pay for them is a pain - one of them (can't remember which) costs $25 per report, but they'll be happy to sell you a subscription service.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Zevious Zoquis said:

And wtf is the benefit of being able to look up my credit score? I love these ads that make it seem like there's some great mystery about credit ratings - like a person would be shocked to discover they had a bad credit score or something.

They might if the credit reporting company made a mistake or there's somebody committing identity fraud (which includes people living/working under a false identify, not just scammers). 

• Love 2

Oh Prevailing Wind, you should have gone on Judge Judy! That tale of cosigning a loan would have been right up her alley (of course, Judy would have yelled at you, but you might have gotten your loan paid!)

As far as annoying commercials, I hate drug ads that have someone saying they're a "fighter". Sheesh. You're taking a pill, not standing up to the tanks. 

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Zevious Zoquis said:

In essence, we've now been informed that the guy shilling for this car company is a dope who can't manage his finances.

Not every one who has bad credit is a dope who can't manage their finances.  Stuff happens, sometimes it's in your control and sometimes not.

But that commercial is stupid.

• Love 12

Also, if you have no debt at all, your credit score will be in the crapper -- they have no record of your ever having credit.  Some friends of mine learned that the hard way -- they'd worked very hard to pay off their mortgage and cars and whatnot, but when they prepared to sell their house and buy a new one, they couldn't get a new mortgage because their credit score was zero.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Also, if you have no debt at all, your credit score will be in the crapper -- they have no record of your ever having credit. 

They care about what kind of debt it is too. I'm scoring well for my credit cards, but I'm getting dinged because I have no "installment debt" (e.g. a car loan).

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I currently have a perfect credit score of 850. I have no idea why. The only loan I'm paying is a mortgage. I have 3 credit cards I use, and pay the full balance due every month.

According to which rating company? There are three and they have different scoring methods. A mortgage may be in the same category as a car loan, so you have the piece I'm missing, but I'm doing the same with my cards, and the score varies a few points from month to month.

• Love 1

It's just what Discover Card tells me with my monthly statement. I don't know who they use. When we bought our house 9 years ago, my score was 802, my husband's was 795. He couldn't figure out why mine was better than his, lol.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Not every one who has bad credit is a dope who can't manage their finances.  Stuff happens, sometimes it's in your control and sometimes not.

But that commercial is stupid.

yeah, i know.  most of the complaints we have about annoying ads have reasonable counter points but where's the fun in that?  lol...actually, the ad would like come off better if the dude actually said something like "...and a medical situation left me with some credit problems" or something like that.  Makes him a sympathetic spokesperson.

i'm pretty sure there's nothing altruistic about what the car dealership is doing though.  I doubt their primary concern is to help people improve their credit situation when they sell them an awesome truck.  

Edited by Zevious Zoquis
  • Love 6

And if Oprah did nothing, people would hate her for that.  I never knew there was a right way to be a philanthropist, good to know.

I don't have anything against Oprah, necessarily, but what cracks me up about her latest Weight Watchers ad is that she's on a bicycle . . . but only just barely. She's moving forward very slowly and barely hanging on. It's evident she has not ridden a bike since she was a small child if even then. 

It's just what Discover Card tells me with my monthly statement. 

Speaking of Discover, what's with the dork who picks up the phone, calls his Discover twin, and shouts "I like your card but I'm not paying an annual fee!" ?? If he already has the card then doesn't he already know there's no annual fee? And if he doesn't have the card how does he know he likes it? Did he do research on it but not enough to know there's no annual fee?

• Love 14
27 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I don't have anything against Oprah, necessarily, but what cracks me up about her latest Weight Watchers ad is that she's on a bicycle . . . but only just barely. She's moving forward very slowly and barely hanging on. It's evident she has not ridden a bike since she was a small child if even then. 

Probably not as a child. Oprah was really, really poor and was lucky if she had shoes.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Speaking of Discover, what's with the dork who picks up the phone, calls his Discover twin, and shouts "I like your card but I'm not paying an annual fee!" ?? If he already has the card then doesn't he already know there's no annual fee? And if he doesn't have the card how does he know he likes it? Did he do research on it but not enough to know there's no annual fee?

He's probably responding to a mailing, and what he likes about the card is that he's being offered one. Credit card offers are supposed to have a prominent summary disclosing the terms of the card; isn't Discover doing that? Clerks at Sears would keep offering to sign me up for their card, but they were always "all out" of anything listing the terms.

This is a local commercial that I hate, I think it's produced by New York State of Health, in the commercial this man is comparing soda to cigarettes, and I don't know if it's just the guy's tone of voice, but he says "so which one is really bad for you?" And I think there's an implication in his statement that cigarettes aren't bad for you and that makes me ragey.

Edited by partofme
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Ha!  I know!  She doesn't even have her feet on the pedals.  Oprah, meet tree.

• Love 11

I utterly despise the Domino's pizza commercial where the dad plays this ANNOYING bell to summon his family members home for dinner. The bell is most irritating and it triggers my misophonia. Grrr. I can never change the channel fast enough when that commercial plays. 

Favorite commercial: The one where the baby is afraid of her dog until her dog wears a lion's mane that was ordered from Amazon or Ebay or something. Soooo Sweeet! hahaha

• Love 9

There's a series of ads saying how wonderful first responders are, and yes they are. It's the last 10 seconds that angry up the blood: they're by Verizon, bragging about how much they help first responders.

Nice try, but out here in Santa Clara County we haven't forgotten how they throttled the local fire department while they were in the middle of fighting wildfires:  https://bgr.com/2018/08/21/verizon-unlimited-throttling-fire-department-emails-wtf/

• Love 7
On 1/23/2019 at 11:32 AM, Browncoat said:

Also, if you have no debt at all, your credit score will be in the crapper -- they have no record of your ever having credit.  Some friends of mine learned that the hard way -- they'd worked very hard to pay off their mortgage and cars and whatnot, but when they prepared to sell their house and buy a new one, they couldn't get a new mortgage because their credit score was zero.

This happened to me about 20 years ago. I went to buy a used car and had zero credit history. The car salesman laughed at me and said "Have you been in prison all this time?"

Of course not. But I got the car!

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Jamoche said:

There's a series of ads saying how wonderful first responders are, and yes they are. It's the last 10 seconds that angry up the blood: they're by Verizon, bragging about how much they help first responders.

Nice try, but out here in Santa Clara County we haven't forgotten how they throttled the local fire department while they were in the middle of fighting wildfires:  https://bgr.com/2018/08/21/verizon-unlimited-throttling-fire-department-emails-wtf/

This is astonishing and infuriating!  How DARE they do that to firemen??  You guys have had some horrendous fires in the past year, and to demand more MONEY to REALLY get unlimited?  Pisses me off royally.  We have been looking around for new phones/plans, and you betcha it will NOT be verizon!  Thanks for the info!

• Love 4
On 1/25/2019 at 8:04 PM, Lotus88 said:

I utterly despise the Domino's pizza commercial where the dad plays this ANNOYING bell to summon his family members home for dinner. The bell is most irritating and it triggers my misophonia. Grrr. I can never change the channel fast enough when that commercial plays. 

The thing that cracks me up about that ad is just HOW much food is on the table, perfectly plated of course. I paused one day and counted at least 10 things - and I don’t think I counted everything. That’s a minimum of $60 before taxes and tip. For Dominos.

And also? Their wings are possible the worst I’ve ever. Soggy and so tiny.

• Love 2