Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 1/13/2019 at 5:32 AM, cynicat said:

Why not just cut to the chase and say Flint, Michigan?

Lol! Is the Love Canal in New York still up and running? However, it's still a stupid commercial. I'd love to know what these companies pay ad agencies for all the commercials we hate.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Lol! Is the Love Canal in New York still up and running? However, it's still a stupid commercial. I'd love to know what these companies pay ad agencies for all the commercials we hate.

It was fenced off for a while (save for some people who refused to leave), but in some of the outer areas, they have been allowing people to move back in for some time.  But not closer to the actual canal, though.  The houses go for cheap but there's no guarantee the chemicals won't re-leech.  That's one case where I feel a chemical company got a bit of a raw deal.  When they sold the land to the city, they told them there was stuff buried there, and to NOT build anything there.  So what do they do?  Build an elementary school and a subdivision.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, Brattinella said:

@annoyedmf that commercial would drive me bonkers as well.  You can file a complaint for free with the FCC if you wish. 

https://www.fcc.gov/media/policy/loud-commercials

Thanks for posting this link. The FCC ought to run its own commercials to advertise this.

I pretty much can't watch any TV commercials these days. The poor mute button on my remote is almost as worn out as the thumb that keeps pushing it.

• Love 7
52 minutes ago, TheCrankyCreative said:

I pretty much can't watch any TV commercials these days. The poor mute button on my remote is almost as worn out as the thumb that keeps pushing it.

I did break the mute button on one of my remotes!

• Love 6

If these people are already willing to go to these extremes because they loathe the concept of being stuck paying attention to their parents/grandparents (and scowl in their faces when they can't), things are already at a level of fucked-up taking the phones away isn't going to solve.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, TheCrankyCreative said:

Thanks for posting this link. The FCC ought to run its own commercials to advertise this.

That's the reason I have to change batteries so frequently. 

• Love 3
On 1/12/2019 at 8:13 PM, Brattinella said:

There is an ad for Arm and Hammer (detergent, I think.  or maybe baking soda)  Anyway, this British guy pronounces the product as Armandhammer, one word.  It is THREE words, and the emphasis is: Arm and HAMMER.  3 distinct words.  Please fix this.

When I was younger I truly thought the name of the company was exactly that, Armandhammer.  Apparently their ad agencies have been not enunciating for going on 40 years.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, amass said:

I seriously hate the latest commercial for Lincoln where Matthew McConaughey ups and leaves his (or someone else’s... who knows) party... seriously rude.

This commentary about it is pretty funny though 

https://uproxx.com/tv/matthew-mcconaughey-lincoln-commercial-pool-table/2/

Oh, that one's a beaut!

I was like, "OK, so Matthew McConaughey is now a pool-shark stud who makes some kind of magic Superman spin shot all by himself at a party and then struts off to take a drive and smirk about how awesome he is? ......... Okay!"

I tell you, ad agencies have to be laughing their asses off over how badly they are bilking their clients.

• Love 6

Oops! Chevy had to pull the comparison ad, because the other car companies know how to do math

https://jalopnik.com/chevrolet-pulls-most-reliable-ad-after-being-challenged-1831800283

Ford, Honda and Toyota confirmed they each challenged the 60-second TV spot, which aired in Metro Detroit during the North American International Auto Show. Its title: “Chevy Surprises Competitive Owners When It Comes To Reliability.” 

A lawyer for one of the three automakers who challenged the ad sent an email to GM’s legal counsel this month demanding that the automaker stop making the reliability comparison claims in its advertising campaign, according to sources familiar with the correspondence. GM was given until 5 p.m. Jan. 14 to respond to the demands.

Edited by Jamoche
  • Love 9
On 11/19/2018 at 11:38 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

I agree - it is refreshing to see someone proud of their work but I agree she can get on some people's nerves.  Speaking of nerves, the couple who put their heads flat on the table to see how thin or thick the crust is......just stop.

The ad agency who put the two obese people in a pizza commercial have some serious hate going on with their client.

• Love 2

I seriously hate the latest commercial for Lincoln where Matthew McConaughey ups and leaves his (or someone else’s... who knows) party... seriously rude.

It seems awfully risky to have a pool table positioned like that so near to a large plate glass window. One overly zealous shot and that window is going to smash.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, NoAnnoyingVoiceOve said:

The ad agency who put the two obese people in a pizza commercial have some serious hate going on with their client.

Seriously, who at the client would even green-light this crap? Who at the agency would have the balls to present such a thing?

To me, it's the most offensively stupid thing on TV right now. I just don't get it.

(And yet, to read comments on the YouTube videos, some people apparently think it's hilarious.)

Edited by TheCrankyCreative
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

It seems awfully risky to have a pool table positioned like that so near to a large plate glass window. One overly zealous shot and that window is going to smash.

In an expensive house like that, it wouldn't be ordinary plate glass. It'd be layered with something else, like windshields and bulletproof  glass are, to limit damage. It's still risking an expensive repair were it to get nicked, but he can afford it.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, NoAnnoyingVoiceOve said:

The annoying spokesman played by Potsch Boyd (his name is even annoying) should be banned forever by the FCC.

His name is the only thing I like about him, because it's weird and funny (unlike him).  Though I suppose we have his parents to thank for that.

On ‎01‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:01 PM, friendperidot said:

Dear Netspend card, you cannot get paid 2 days earlier that the payroll is released. There used to be this thing called "float" about banking and I assume this is what they are basing that on, but it's been many years since banks would not let you cash your paycheck on your payday. I bank at a small bank, on payday, if I did not have enough in my account "available" to cover an ATM withdrawal, I could not get it until after midnight, which sucked, but if I needed the cash, I could go into the bank or the drive-through on payday and cash a check. Now, this has been several years. Now, on the day my retirement check is deposited to my bank, I can make ATM withdrawals. It was in the 90s, the last time I worked in payroll, but even then, the payroll was transferred at 12:01 AM on payroll days and employees could cash paychecks or make withdrawals, especially if they banked at the same bank as the company or another large bank, it was only in small operations like where I bank that had different, stupid rules. Back in the 70s when I first started working in banks, it was a very different time and things were not as computerized and "float" came more into play than now.

Also, the guy sending flowers to his mom? Looks like a Duggar, I'm not taking any banking advice from a Duggar.

This is basically a pay day lender.  I bet the interest is horrendous.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

This is basically a pay day lender.  I bet the interest is horrendous.

I don't see Netspend doing anything that you can't do with your bank by asking them for a line of credit, assuming your ATM card works as a debit card. My own bank will let you overspend your account by up to $1000 with no credit check.

15 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I assumed that if they can afford that house, that's not going to be a problem.

Tom Holmsberg,

The Church and Dwight company's Arm and Hammer logo for their baking soda of the same name has been used since the 1860's (over 50 years before the formation of the Soviet Union)  and was supposed to depict the arm of the Roman god Vulcan !  I like that the product has proven so useful for a wide variety of reasons that it's been virtually unchanged since then and has KEPT that logo all these years!

• Love 6
On 1/15/2019 at 9:06 AM, andromeda331 said:

I assumed that was what was going to happen at the end like the one he dreams of being Big Jim or that it would be revealed that he hired those people to pretend to his family to try and make himself look cool only for his coworkers to laugh and think he was lame. Given how his coworkers treat him I really was surprised that they turned out to be his family. That was nice.

Tbh, I’m still waiting for the other shoe to drop, probably on poor Jamie’s head. I feel like we’re being set up for a “it was all a dream” sequel. Good lord, I’m starting to follow these people like they’re on my soap. Well played, Progressive.

• Love 10
51 minutes ago, NinjaPenguins said:

Tbh, I’m still waiting for the other shoe to drop, probably on poor Jamie’s head. I feel like we’re being set up for a “it was all a dream” sequel. Good lord, I’m starting to follow these people like they’re on my soap. Well played, Progressive.

Like the Folgers Coffee neighbors?

• Love 7

Sometimes a Google Shopping search will turn up a Wayfair thing that looks nice, but then I remember their ads and scroll on. Latest one just reinforces that: nosy neighbor bangs on the windows, then throws a snit fit that would embarrass a 12 year old about how "You've got a new BFF? A new shopping friend? Who isn't me?" 

Anyone acting like that around me - it wouldn't be the online shopping assistant that made me drop you as "BFF".

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

No! The Folgers Coffee Taster's Choice  neighbors   were LIKABLE and interesting while the Progressive company clique which includes Jamie are NEITHER (especially the one whose appearance causes me to zoom for the Mute button or turn the station ASAP ).

However; the Folgers Coffee Taster's Choice neighbors DID wind up annoying both sides of the Pond (as the series of ads were run both in the USA and UK) via them getting closer to declaring their bond with scenes with her son and her ex before the series was left hanging in the air with nothing resolved. I mean, I thought it would have been apt had it wrapped up at their wedding reception or even honeymoon with them toasting each other with the coffee but I'm not even sure they'd actually started DATING before the series just vanished despite intense viewer interest. 

Edited by Blergh
striking out the wrong brand and putting in the right one
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I think you guys mean Taster's Choice.

You're right! Yep, Folgers was the brand that annoyed from 1965 to 1986 via having the quasi- Scandanavian  busybody Mrs. Olson attempt to solve any and all neighbors' marital tiffs via pitching the 'mountain grown' coffee (which she stressed was the RICHEST kind of coffee- omitting the reality that ALL coffee is grown in the mountains) -for 21 years!  She never said a peep about her OWN marriage (and we never saw hide nor hair of MR. Olson or any offspring despite her being in the PTA) but she seemed to think that that one brand of coffee was the cure-all for others' marital woes. 

Edited by Blergh
years
  • Love 5
On 1/17/2019 at 7:54 AM, NoAnnoyingVoiceOve said:

So... only skinny people should be allowed in idiotic pizza commercials? I suppose it could be a promo for a crust so thin, it's anorexic.

No grody fat people, ew.

• Love 20

I just think it’s funny that Frank Thomas is shilling a “supplement” that would most likely have gotten him suspended were he still playing.

And when I watch the Folgers commercials from the 60s, I think “Is coffee REALLY that hard to make?”(I don’t like coffee, so I honestly don’t know.)

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

You know, I was never really into the coffee couple. 

I really, truly hate the man-boosting supplement commercials, especially the one farting on about our masculinity crisis. The true scourge of our society is the terrible commercial crisis, led by Chevy Douche riding a Peleton bike. 

• Love 14
10 hours ago, Ashforth said:

So... only skinny people should be allowed in idiotic pizza commercials? I suppose it could be a promo for a crust so thin, it's anorexic.

No grody fat people, ew.

"You too can look like this! Just keep eating Little Caesar's Pizza, then blame your physique on your genes."

• Love 4
On 1/14/2019 at 6:10 PM, SmithW6079 said:

I can't speak for the original poster, but I dislike Oprah because everything -- even her philanthropy -- is all about her and how great she is. I think she did a "tribute" to Mary Tyler Moore that was more about Oprah's feelings and less about MTM.

And if Oprah did nothing, people would hate her for that.  I never knew there was a right way to be a philanthropist, good to know.

• Love 6
42 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

And if Oprah did nothing, people would hate her for that.  I never knew there was a right way to be a philanthropist, good to know.

Matthew 6:2 (ESV)

2 “Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.

So, yes, there is a right way to be a philanthropist.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 22

Yep, Chevy Douche is bringing his fleet of douchemobiles to other people’s family reunions, because that makes sense. The real people say real stupid things, like suggesting a Chevy SUV will make you a cool dad. Dude, you appeared in this commercial. The light from “cool” will not reach earth in your lifetime. 

• Love 16

I don't understand the new Toyota commercial at all. You have all these people singing "You are so beautiful," to the cars, which makes sense I guess if you're that attracted to them, but what I don't get is why does the town have to be blowing up? There is a food cart on fire, a flood and all kinds of chaos going on. It makes no sense to me. 

• Love 5

Awww hell no! No self respecting Yinzer (Pittsburgh native) would ever do that. Even if they are married, when it's game time. . . it's game time. 

Take that jersey away from her now!

• Love 2

I know it’s been around a while, but I hate the Phil Mickelson commercial for Enbrel.   The girl who claims to be his daughter, but in the small print it says “actor portrayal” , just bugs the heck out of me.  

I see Geico is bringing back their oldies but goodies.  I like the caveman and the piggy who went weeee weee weeee all the way home. 

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

I like the caveman and the piggy who went weeee weee weeee all the way home. 

The piggy commercial caught the attention of one of my cats one night :D. She was sitting on the couch and when the pig started shouting, "Wheeee!" she lifted her head up and was staring at the TV the rest of the ad. 

• Love 15