Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 1/6/2019 at 11:51 AM, trudysmom said:

"Freefreefree" When I hear it from the other room it sounds like a little piglet squealing, "squee squee squeee!"   Ugh.

I straight up have only seen this commercial once and I was about 3/4 through it before I realized they were saying "free" and not "three". I was totally confused about what the hell "threethreethreethree" could possibly be about.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Some folks enjoy their RVs, though. I met a couple in one when I was going down the Natchez Trace. She told me they sold their house & bought a new, smaller one now that they're empty-nesters. Before they formally moved in, her husband suggested they try RV'ing for, maybe, 6 weeks & see if they like it. TEN YEARS later, they're still driving their "house" around and having the time of their lives. She's got one of those walking sticks she collects medallions for & she's got more medallion than stick. We kept running into one another at the "overlooks" & historic sites. I found that one of the coolest things about driving the Trace - the people you meet more than once along the road. It was great fun.

Oh don't get me wrong, we love our motorhome but things really do break all the time.  My family has always had motorhomes and boats and shit just breaks on them.  I am very lucky that my husband, my dad and my brother are very mechanical and can fix most things. :)

• Love 3
22 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My parents always had a boats. They got progressively bigger as the years went on. And the bigger they got, the more expensive it got to maintain them. Plus moorage, fuel, insurance, etc. My mom used to call them "holes in the water that you throw money into."

B.O.A.T.- Bust Out Another Thousand!

To bring this back to commercials, the Dr. Pepper Fansville conclusion was kind of disappointing to me. But the "Are you wearing a wire?!" girl is hilarious.

• Love 3
On 1/5/2019 at 2:07 PM, peacheslatour said:

You know when you put an in ground pool in, there is a very large hole in the ground that one could put a body into before the concrete is poured. Just sayin'.

Thanks for making me afraid of my backyard

• Love 5
On 12/31/2018 at 1:50 PM, Silver Raven said:

Oprah is a co-owner of the company.

"O" Oprah fuck off! We all know you wear Spanx to hold in the jelly. Your body does NOT look shapely and firm on its OWN! HAHA!

• Love 10

Can't find a clip of it... but I hate a new weight loss commercial with a song mentioning 'Worship Me'. Ugh. So narcissistic.

Scratch it.

Just found the stupid commercial.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, docmatt said:

Thanks for making me afraid of my backyard

I don't think I've seen a show where somebody put a body under a pool. Fish ponds, yes, along with other structures like gazebos, sheds and garages. I wonder if there's something under Cheryl's she-shed. There must be something serious going on for her to think somebody burned it down. Maybe her husband is lying about it having been lightning, and he's got plans for when it's rebuilt.

• Love 10
On 12/20/2018 at 9:34 PM, xaxat said:

The only thing that should follow that opening chord are the words "Dearly beloved. . ."

Prince must be suffering more than he ever did in life. I suppose his estate has to make a living, but Prince never wanted his music to be used to sell crap. Other than more music and merch, of course. 

• Love 4
23 hours ago, Popples said:

To bring this back to commercials, the Dr. Pepper Fansville conclusion was kind of disappointing to me. But the "Are you wearing a wire?!" girl is hilarious.

Yeah, it was kind of funny, but I was expecting more. I really did enjoy the whole "season," thought. "But that's his grillin' hand!" lol 

29 minutes ago, topanga said:

Prince must be suffering more than he ever did in life. I suppose his estate has to make a living, but Prince never wanted his music to be used to sell crap. Other than more music and merch, of course. 

Yeah. I find it interesting that the campaign is using Prince, Whitney and Michael Jackson, who have all died somewhat recently. But I can't tell you what the ads are for -- Capital One? 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

I can't deal with the "Ever since x bought a house, he turned into his father," commercials. 

I love those.  I think the support group one is my favorite, but they all make me laugh.

• Love 13
On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:53 PM, Ubiquitous said:

There's a new Weight Watchers ad featuring successful clients, including Oprah. Fuck off, Oprah!

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 4:50 PM, Silver Raven said:

Oprah is a co-owner of the company.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:46 PM, AntiBeeSpray said:

Can't find a clip of it... but I hate a new weight loss commercial with a song mentioning 'Worship Me'. Ugh. So narcissistic.

Scratch it.

Just found the stupid commercial.

I was just here to comment about the "Worship Me" and how I'd never take diet advice from Oprah.  And no shade - big gal myself, but not taking advice from her.

• Love 8
22 hours ago, configdotsys said:

I can't deal with the "Ever since x bought a house, he turned into his father," commercials. 

They could be funny, but their concept of what it's like turning into one's father is rather lame (or at least it is if I turned into my father).

• Love 3

I don't mind the one with the husband and wife, because I find that one plausible. I can see that someone might change their interests and personality once they got a house and were concerned with maintaining it.

The one where the guy acts like a complete dweeb while out with his friends makes no sense. If he didn't do these things before, why would buying a house result in him dancing like Urkel and mispronouncing jalepeno poppers?

• Love 8

About five years of years ago I bought my first house. One resource our community provides is mulch made from curbside leaf/tree pickup. One day, I distinctly remember digging into the pile and saying "That's some good mulch."

51 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

The one where the guy acts like a complete dweeb while out with his friends makes no sense. If he didn't do these things before, why would buying a house result in him dancing like Urkel and mispronouncing jalepeno poppers?

Bachelor parties are funny because you really find out where your friends are in life. You've got bachelors, guys who have been married a couple of years and that one guy who has been married five years, has three kids, owns his own home, is talking about his IRA, owns the mini van etc. 

And you realize he's no longer the guy you remember from college.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 5
29 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I  can understand why this band is so bummed that its lead singer's UC or Chrohn's disease keeps her from opening her mouth and saying "Aaaaaaaa" like she's seeing her ear, nose and throat doctor.

OMG, yes! I always wonder why their gigs are so dependent on her getting out of the bathroom because surely one of the others can sing Aaaaaaaaaaaa for all the songs. 

I hadn’t seen the Kyleena commercial in months and now it seems to be back. I guess people don’t care about birth control during the holidays?

• Love 7
12 hours ago, kariyaki said:

OMG, yes! I always wonder why their gigs are so dependent on her getting out of the bathroom because surely one of the others can sing Aaaaaaaaaaaa for all the songs. 

LOL!  This has been my BIGGEST pet peeve on this batch of commercials.  No, you are not posing for a magazine, you are supposedly singing for a band!  Sometimes your lips and tongue must MOVE to form words!  I lunge for the remote on this one.

• Love 6

Doritos for some reason can't let this commercial die and I hate it: Can someone explain to me why that guy is so unbelievably stupid that he legitimately believes a cardboard box that runs on Doritos is a functional time machine? Did he smoke some crack before he went outside?

• Love 6

Nah, it was probably weed.

Oh lord help me. This commercial for The Realreal hurts my eyes and makes my chest tight. What were they thinking?!?!?!?!? 

I feel your pain! And some of those so-called fashions are downright ugly! However, I do really like the model's hairstyle and I wish my hair would do that.

• Love 6
On 1/10/2019 at 2:58 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

They could be funny, but their concept of what it's like turning into one's father is rather lame (or at least it is if I turned into my father).

On 1/10/2019 at 3:53 PM, kariyaki said:

I don't mind the one with the husband and wife, because I find that one plausible. I can see that someone might change their interests and personality once they got a house and were concerned with maintaining it.

The dweeb makes no sense to me either. The husband and wife one is the one that drives me nuts because while I get that someone can get all into doing things around the house, I don't see how pointing out to your spouse that the attic insulation is stapled and being happy with the mulch is such a bad thing. Then they go on to add in unrelated, moronic scenes where the guy puts on this stupid face while putting glasses on to look at the computer and talking to himself while opening a piece of candy. It just makes no sense to me. 

On another note: the Sling couple makes my skin crawl. 

• Love 9
On 1/9/2019 at 4:09 PM, LoneHaranguer said:

Somebody threw one into a pool, but that's not the same thing. Very few bodies got hidden on Columbo.

Once there was one buried in a construction zone. Trivia: it was a real construction site for a building going up right near the network offices.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Doritos for some reason can't let this commercial die and I hate it: Can someone explain to me why that guy is so unbelievably stupid that he legitimately believes a cardboard box that runs on Doritos is a functional time machine? Did he smoke some crack before he went outside?

Agree! However; the one amusing part of it is when he mistakes the older longhaired man for the young kid- and the older longhaired man orders him off his property. I mean, I'm old enough to remember when old short-haired or bald men were ordering longhaired hippies off THEIR lawns so it's amusing to me how things have gone full circle! 

• Love 3
On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:46 PM, AntiBeeSpray said:

Oprah being in it is no surprise. ha ha

Yeah, right, Oprah, you're a millionaires and uses Weight Watchers.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:56 PM, mmecorday said:

I  can understand why this band is so bummed that its lead singer's UC or Chrohn's disease keeps her from opening her mouth and saying "Aaaaaaaa" like she's seeing her ear, nose and throat doctor.

Maybe it's my limited experience, but when Dad's UC or Chrohn's disease acts up it's nothing like they depict it in commercials. Whenever his flared up he's be too doubled-over in pain to do anything. If that backup singer had it, she's know long before she got on stage, if she could even get that far.

20 hours ago, lu1535 said:

Oh lord help me. This commercial for The Realreal hurts my eyes and makes my chest tight. What were they thinking?!?!?!?!? 

Is The RealReal is sponsor of RuPaul's Drag Race?

• Love 2

Where's Mahk when you need him: another group of idiots who don't know what it means when they're in a giant warehouse with cars - and this time the cars are covered in tarps that say Ford. The idiots believe they're Fords. I'm mentally inserting Mahk saying "They're Chevys".

Then the tarps come off to reveal - more tarps! Now they're Hondas! Sooo reliable, those Hondas!

Mahk: "Still Chevys"

And one more tarp! Could they be Toyotas?

Mahk: "Seriously? Chevys"

Ooh, and that was the final tarp! OMG, they're Chevys!

Edited by Jamoche
  • Love 12

There is an ad for Arm and Hammer (detergent, I think.  or maybe baking soda)  Anyway, this British guy pronounces the product as Armandhammer, one word.  It is THREE words, and the emphasis is: Arm and HAMMER.  3 distinct words.  Please fix this.

• Love 2
On 1/9/2019 at 12:12 PM, LoneHaranguer said:

I don't think I've seen a show where somebody put a body under a pool. Fish ponds, yes, along with other structures like gazebos, sheds and garages. I wonder if there's something under Cheryl's she-shed. There must be something serious going on for her to think somebody burned it down. Maybe her husband is lying about it having been lightning, and he's got plans for when it's rebuilt.

Also beware if someone pours a concrete pad randomly in their yard. Yes they say they are going to build a shed or garage on it but they never do. Then they start getting paranoid and put up security cameras everywhere. Then you realize that you haven't seen the wife in a while. When you get up the courage to ask about her, he says she ran off with a long haul trucker. But I digress. It's probably nothing. Forget i said anything. 

• Love 17
5 hours ago, configdotsys said:

Saw a commercial for Volkswagen today. Parent picks up sad face kids from school because Uncle Edward (or some Uncle) has died. Then the voiceover says something like Uncle Edward died 8 times this month as the kids give each other smirks as the principal looks them with sad face as they leave school. The kids jump giddily into the car where their siblings are laughing up a storm too as the voiceover says in one of the parent voices, "We don't even have an Uncle Edward." Turns out mom and dad take the kids to an amusement park and they’re all giddy and thrilled about getting over on the school so they can play in their new car. Way to go mom and dad. The premise of the commercial is particularly stupid because the principal would remember the same kids and the same relative so many times in a month but the idea that the parents think it's just swell to make up a death to get their kids out of school is awful.

I haven't seen the commercial, but that makes me furious. Trying to be the cool parent by letting  your kids know how little you value their education.

• Love 16
4 hours ago, mmecorday said:

What an example to set for their kids!

This commercial has been on far too long. I hate the Rent-a-Center Tony Soprano who freaks out about the "fresh cup of lead."

Yeah, calm down Dude. I also laugh that clearly he and the guy who offered him a nice cup of water from Colorado don't know that Colorado actually has really good drinking water. At least pick a place that has crappy water.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Yeah, calm down Dude. I also laugh that clearly he and the guy who offered him a nice cup of water from Colorado don't know that Colorado actually has really good drinking water. At least pick a place that has crappy water.

Why not just cut to the chase and say Flint, Michigan?

• Love 14
15 hours ago, configdotsys said:

Saw a commercial for Volkswagen today. Parent picks up sad face kids from school because Uncle Edward (or some Uncle) has died. Then the voiceover says something like Uncle Edward died 8 times this month as the kids give each other smirks as the principal looks them with sad face as they leave school. The kids jump giddily into the car where their siblings are laughing up a storm too as the voiceover says in one of the parent voices, "We don't even have an Uncle Edward." Turns out mom and dad take the kids to an amusement park and they’re all giddy and thrilled about getting over on the school so they can play in their new car. Way to go mom and dad. The premise of the commercial is particularly stupid because the principal would remember the same kids and the same relative so many times in a month but the idea that the parents think it's just swell to make up a death to get their kids out of school is awful.

Also, why do the parents even have to lie?  It's not like it's a college student making excuses about their late essay.  Are parents no longer allowed just to call the school and say they're picking the kids up early today?

• Love 8

Weighing in on the Sling couple, I love them! Married in real life and appeared together on Parks and Rec. Hilarious. Now, Dr Ruth in the Sling commercials is another story. Kind of creepy, but I'm glad to see that she is still chugging along. A friend of mine does the most wicked Dr. Ruth imitation :) 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, mmecorday said:

What an example to set for their kids!

This commercial has been on far too long. I hate the Rent-a-Center Tony Soprano who freaks out about the "fresh cup of lead."

You and me both, Sister. I've seen these kind of lubbers in the wild. Attention whores, every one of them.

• Love 2