Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I didn't think this ad would be on YouTube because it's so freakin' bad, but here it is.   Community Choice Credit Union, where you'll feel like a kid in a candy store because of their low rates.  The kid pours sugar into her mouth, makes it rain using play money, and lays down on a concrete floor thinly covered with candy to make a snow/candy angel.  Concrete.  Plus, I saw no chocolate in that candy store, just cheap crap like you'd find at a dollar store. 

We're very tired of Thomas Middleditch bugging everyone about Verizon.  Just do an ad, stop bothering your friends.  And strangers.

• Love 5
On 12/13/2018 at 9:08 PM, KLovestoShop said:

I despise the commercial for one of those emergency call button companies.  It’s the one where they post the warning that the commercial could be offensive?  Then you hear moaning in pain and see a poor woman lying at the bottom of the stairs.  The reason I HATE this commercial is because this is what happened to my mom right before she passed away, right before the Holidays.  The actress even sounded like my mom as she was crying in pain.  While mom didn’t fall down stairs, she fell in her closet and broke her neck, it’s just too realistic and brings me to tears when I see it.  

OMG, I am so, so sorry this happened to your poor mom. I find those commercials traumatizing enough; I can't even imagine how they must make you feel.

On a more annoying note, I want to slap a gag on the mouth of that opera singer who's singing at the car. Yes, I'm sure she has a good voice, but she is so damn smug about it she has ruined that perfectly lovely aria for me.

And +1,000 on the Peloton hate. I do have the app on my phone, and I can confirm that the instructors are just as phony and faux-cool as they appear to be on the commercials.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 12
22 hours ago, Suzn said:

Yes, it is.  It is not my little blue merle girl, but looks just like her.

19 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Sweet! My GF has a red Aussie, and I've become her favoritest person in the world - I've posted picture of her in the Pets thread.  They are terrific dogs.

18 hours ago, Suzn said:

Thanks for pointing me to the Pets thread, which I didn't even know about!  She is a beautiful dog.

They are so smart and sweet-natured. 

17 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I had a Border Collie/Blue Heeler that would herd people. Now I have a lab/Shepherd/Border Collie mix and he does the Border Collie death stare very well. 

18 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My parents used to have an Aussie shepherd. She would "herd" my son all over when he was a toddler. They live on a lake and she would always put herself between him and the shoreline. It was so sweet.

My first introduction to Queensland Blue Heelers was a muzzled dog named Kelly, who drooled on me over the back seat of my soon-to-be-Australian stepdaddy's Edsel.

Radar love.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, lu1535 said:

These perfume ads are killing me.......................

Especially the one with the dark haired actress (I detest her so much I forgot her name but I think she was in The Swan or the Black Swan)?Anyway...she gets real close to the camera, sticks her nose in the air and says:

"And YOU! What would YOU do for love?"

• Love 18
18 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My parents used to have an Aussie shepherd. She would "herd" my son all over when he was a toddler. They live on a lake and she would always put herself between him and the shoreline. It was so sweet.

I have to do one more off-topic post about my Aussie.  When she met her companion, a Siberian Husky, she tried to herd her.  The Husky was not amused.  But the best herding was when she herded an escapee cat back into the house.  The cat was not amused either.

18 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I had a Border Collie/Blue Heeler that would herd people. Now I have a lab/Shepherd/Border Collie mix and he does the Border Collie death stare very well. 

I love it - "the Border Collie death stare"!  They do have that laser look!

On topic - the most egregious perfume ads for me are a toss-up between Julia Roberts and her many teeth and Natalie Portman chewing the scenery with hers.  Just awful.

• Love 9

The latest St. Jude's commercials are incorporating vintage footage of founder Danny Thomas talking about his hopes for the hospital. Whenever I see him, I always think about this line from "The Golden Girls": "If Rose finds out Danny Thomas is a lesbian, it'll break her heart."

• Love 12
13 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

With all the dislike for toilet paper commercials, I was amused at the grocery store today when I was buying toilet paper. For the first time, I noticed the sign over the aisle where it's sold said "bath tissue".

Does the tissue come with a warning " for use in bath only"?

• Love 6
2 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

I'm pretty certain that Michael Jackson is still alive and living his life as Marlo Thomas doing commercials for St. Jude's Childrens Hospital.

"It's a man, baby!"        She doesn't even look like Marlo Thomas anymore. I can't believe she aged so badly that she had to do that to herself.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Especially the one with the dark haired actress (I detest her so much I forgot her name but I think she was in The Swan or the Black Swan)?Anyway...she gets real close to the camera, sticks her nose in the air and says:

"And YOU! What would YOU do for love?"

I like that commercial.

**pouts...hangs her head in shame**

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, Aryanna said:

I like that commercial.

Nothing to be ashamed of Aryanna! Lol. You're probably young, beautiful and still believe in love. As well you should! I'm an old, cranky, jaded bitch who sees things from a different perspective. But does that perfume smell good? 😁

I'm a Jo Malone perfume lover. And I also love Gendarme for men (it smells good on ANYTHING)

Edited by chenoa333
Smokin' hot Jamaican
  • Love 4
50 minutes ago, Aryanna said:

like that commercial.

Sorry.  She just looks like she's throwing a fit for attention and the acting is over the top.  And it fails as an advertisement because I have blocked out the name of the perfume.

• Love 10
15 minutes ago, Suzn said:

And it fails as an advertisement because I have blocked out the name of the perfume.

Yeah, I don't remember the name of it either.

But I ALWAYS remember the Ja'dore commercial AND the actress Charlize Theron. I still wouldn't buy it but it's a good commercial. Except it reminds me that Charlize Theron was with Sean Penn for awhile.  Makes me wonder if the perfume stinks.

• Love 6
41 minutes ago, Suzn said:

Sorry.  She just looks like she's throwing a fit for attention and the acting is over the top.  And it fails as an advertisement because I have blocked out the name of the perfume.

I agree on all accounts. But I just like it. For the longest time I thought it was a Chanel commercial. It's not. So yeah, it fails as an ad.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Yeah, I don't remember the name of it either.

But I ALWAYS remember the Ja'dore commercial AND the actress Charlize Theron. I still wouldn't buy it but it's a good commercial. Except it reminds me that Charlize Theron was with Sean Penn for awhile.  Makes me wonder if the perfume stinks.

Charlize may just be the prettiest woman on the planet, and maybe shot her evil stepdaddy. 

And Sean Penn must have a magical peen.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

This is the only commercial of that type that I like at all.  Charlize Theron is simply magnificent.  Also Ja'dore does smell very good. 

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

Years ago one of the Charlize Theron perfume commercials used this song, which is simply a great effing song.

That is a great song. Dont know who the woman is singing it but she looks kinda like Megan Trainor before she lost weight. And she looks a lot like me BEFORE i gained weight! Lol. JK!

Okay let's discuss the Edible Arraignment holiday commercial. I assume it's Christmas day but Sophie can't make it because she's stuck at work. So Edible Arraignments makes employees work on Christmas? What's with that?

• Love 6
3 hours ago, lu1535 said:

Okay let's discuss the Edible Arraignment holiday commercial. I assume it's Christmas day but Sophie can't make it because she's stuck at work. So Edible Arraignments makes employees work on Christmas? What's with that?

I just can't with Edible Arrangements from the get-go.  All I can picture is a slimy, revolting pile of warm peeled fruit covered with gnats. 

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

I just can't with Edible Arrangements from the get-go.  All I can picture is a slimy, revolting pile of warm peeled fruit covered with gnats. 

To say nothing of entire offices, families, church groups,etc. getting sick as dogs thanks to one of their own passing colds,etc. by putting their own grubby hands onto said displays. To keep this ontopic, both the concept and its commercials annoy and irritate me to no end and I truly have to ask their customers 'what were you thinking?'.

• Love 4

Edible Arrangements makes boxes of single pieces of chocolate covered fruits and they are SO. GOOD.  It makes me very sad to be allergic to pineapple.

In the Alexa ad where the girl needs dad’s help to finish dinner she asks Alexa to dim the lights before she starts cooking.  Why would you do that?  No wonder she burned the duck, she couldn’t see what she was doing.  Also I thought her hair in the bandana was before she got ready but nope, that was her finished look.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

That's what I used to think. Then someone sent me one. It was really good. Very fresh. As a florist, I was curious how they work, so of course I deconstructed it. I was surprised to find that all the little sticks were embedded in a head of lettuce.

• Love 12
6 hours ago, lu1535 said:

From the commercial - Sophie is a nurse, who obviously had to work a shift at the hospital on Christmas:

image.png.64387f9d600fe8743a816200558b7caf.png

• Love 7

In the Alexa ad where the girl needs dad’s help to finish dinner she asks Alexa to dim the lights before she starts cooking.  Why would you do that?  No wonder she burned the duck, she couldn’t see what she was doing.  Also I thought her hair in the bandana was before she got ready but nope, that was her finished look.

Then she pretty much hangs up on her dad. What a sweetheart!

• Love 9
On 12/17/2018 at 6:04 PM, Stacey1014 said:

. Everyone cheers for him and he’s standing and cheering (he was in a wheelchair). 

I thought he was being spun around in his chair.  No?  Edited to add:  NO! I watched to the end, which I guess I've never done, and there he was standing up and cheering.  Hmmm.

On 12/18/2018 at 5:25 PM, chenoa333 said:

And everyone who uses a Peletron is young, already in top shape

As one who would love a Peleton, I agree.  The commercials showing people who are in top shape and have the best ever workout clothes do not help to sell this, in my opinion.  

Edited by MaryPatShelby
  • Love 9
On 12/20/2018 at 7:57 PM, chenoa333 said:

That is a great song. Dont know who the woman is singing it but she looks kinda like Megan Trainor before she lost weight. And she looks a lot like me BEFORE i gained weight! Lol. JK!

Her name is Beth Ditto. She's a really great singer.

• Love 1
On 12/21/2018 at 4:48 AM, lu1535 said:

The first time I saw that commercial, I was like, "So do they send Edible Arrangements to their own employees since apparently they work on Christmas, too?"

On 12/21/2018 at 8:49 AM, Brattinella said:

This is very specific.  Is this based on experience?

• Love 1

"Order online and then pick up in store, usually within 2 hours." So basically they are turning sales staff into shipping clerks. Retail sales can be a decent career and some people really make a successful living out of it. Gregarious types really get off on making the sale and interacting with people who appreciate their products and services. I liked working the floor when I was in retail. I did not want to be a shipping clerk.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, janie jones said:

The first time I saw that commercial, I was like, "So do they send Edible Arrangements to their own employees since apparently they work on Christmas, too?"

This is very specific.  Is this based on experience?

Nope, like I said, that's what I picture. 

• Love 1

My husband got me an Edible Arrangements for Valentines Day a few years ago. It came with a cute little teddy bear (he knows I'm a sucker for teddy bears) and the fruit was in a pretty vase, along with a box of a dozen chocolate dipped strawberries. All the fruit was fresh and delicious. Everyone I've sent one to has told me how much they loved it.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 8