Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

The perfume ads. Natalie Portman fighting and making up with someone. Defiantly asking the camera—what would you do for love? Embarrassing.

charlize Theron rising out of the pool and marching along. No thanks. 

julia Roberts and her many teeth smiling from ear to ear.

I can do without all of these women and their perfumes.

• Love 22
1 hour ago, talktoomuch said:

I just skinned my shin on my bed corner trying to grab the remote when I heard this ad starting. The sound of the gecko slurping hot wing sauce off his "fingers" is one of the most disgusting things I've ever heard.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/dSU1/geico-motorcyle-spicy-wings

I loathe all  the Geiko ads and the stupid gecko.  Thanks for making me click on the link to see a new (to me) one.  I'll take it as an early Christmas present.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

I loathe all  the Geiko ads and the stupid gecko.  Thanks for making me click on the link to see a new (to me) one.  I'll take it as an early Christmas present.

I wish Kelsey Grammer was still the voice for the Geico gecko. His voice is so soothing. I hate the cockney english accent he's got now.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Pickles said:

The perfume ads. Natalie Portman fighting and making up with someone. Defiantly asking the camera—what would you do for love? Embarrassing.

As soon as Christmas is over all the perfume celebs will be replaced by women trying to shed holiday pounds in weight loss ads.

• Love 20

I hate the perfume ads; they make me never want to buy the perfumes advertised.  I would, however, enjoy the ads with "regular" women putting on perfume to go about their day.  I don't mean to sound preachy and crabby (it is early here and we have a sick kitty) but I think they are kind of insulting and sexist.  I don't see many ads with guys doing ridiculous things with and about cologne.  Actually, I might kind of enjoy those.

• Love 9
46 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I hate the perfume ads; they make me never want to buy the perfumes advertised.  I would, however, enjoy the ads with "regular" women putting on perfume to go about their day.  I don't mean to sound preachy and crabby (it is early here and we have a sick kitty) but I think they are kind of insulting and sexist.  I don't see many ads with guys doing ridiculous things with and about cologne.  Actually, I might kind of enjoy those.

You haven't? I've seen several cologne ads with waxed, impossibly sculpted pretty boys swimming around in a luxury pool in black-and-white.

• Love 13

Just got my MyHeritage dna results, and I am .9% Eskimo/Inuit.  I am now changing my leisure activities to include igloo building and eating whale blubber.

(Apologies to anyone who is Eskimo/Inuit, but that's about the level of cultural sensitivity in those Ancestry commercials.)

22 hours ago, xaxat said:

I will be so glad when the season of impossibly gorgeous people with impossibly gorgeous cheekbones and abs highlighted by impossibly gorgeous lighting shot in impossibly gorgeous exotic settings trying to sell me perfume or cologne is over.

(Except for Charlize Theron. She really is impossibly gorgeous.)

Every year I think her J'Adore commercials can't get any stranger, and every year they do, this year included.  But she is impossibly gorgeous; if I thought J'Adore could make me half that sexy, I'd buy it by the gallon.

• Love 12
19 hours ago, Moose135 said:

It had over 900 miles on it, much more than you would expect to see on a new car.  For example, when I got my Durango 4 years ago, it came right off the truck at the dealer, and had 10 miles on it, half of that from the salesman taking it up to fill the tank.  The Stratus I had before that had been sitting on the dealer lot for a while, and had 25 miles on it, including my test drive.  You see him taking quite a ride in it - up through the mountains, on winding roads, and such - he probably took it out a number of times for joy rides before Christmas.

On 12/16/2018 at 3:20 PM, Brookside said:

On a different(but related)note, isn’t the recipient of the Peloton going to know that her husband/boyfriend used it first, or is there a way to clear out the system?(Honest question, as I would never lay out that kind of cash to find out.)

• Love 6

Ugh, this commercial for... actually, I don't even know what -- it has an ugly cartoon mouth singing a Katy Perry song, which is bad enough. But the mouth doesn't even look remotely like it's saying the right words. And then it kisses a nutcracker ornament as if it should be just so flattered! 

The Roomba commercial with the kids intentionally making a mess to demonstrate how well a Roomba cleans would have angered my Depression-era grandparents so much, I feel their rage come through me whenever I see it. Why not just throw dirt on the floor? It's literally dirt cheap!

Is this the one that shows the vacuum going into "hard to reach places" (per the narration) such as around the legs of a stool? That is not hard to reach at all of you just move it out of the damn way first!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 10
On 12/16/2018 at 4:03 PM, xaxat said:

I will be so glad when the season of impossibly gorgeous people with impossibly gorgeous cheekbones and abs highlighted by impossibly gorgeous lighting shot in impossibly gorgeous exotic settings trying to sell me perfume or cologne is over.

(Except for Charlize Theron. She really is impossibly gorgeous.)

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I'm impossibly beautiful and my lighting is always impossibly gorgeous and I holiday in impossibly gorgeous settings.

**only kidding...please don't hurt me**

Edited by Aryanna
  • Love 15
41 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Ugh, this commercial for... actually, I don't even know what -- it has an ugly cartoon mouth singing a Katy Perry song, which is bad enough. But the mouth doesn't even look remotely like it's saying the right words. And then it kisses a nutcracker ornament as if it should be just so flattered! 

That one doesn't make me mute the TV -- it makes me change the channel!  It's the worst.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Pickles said:

Bottom line: these repulsive ads do not make me want to smell like those women.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

That mouth creeps me out. 

There’s a Microsoft gaming commercial that annoys me. There is a special needs boy about to beat a video game or do something fantastic in the game. Everyone cheers for him and he’s standing and cheering (he was in a wheelchair). It’s a nice commercial, but there’s a kid to the side of him doing one of those awful Fortnite dances and it totally distracts from the boy who should be the focus of the celebration. I would have no issue with the commercial if it wasn’t for that obnoxious kid and his stupid dance. 

• Love 4

Spectrum, the internet and cable company, is now getting into the wireless business. In one of their ads, they advise people to take the bill from their current carrier and compare it to their rates to see how much money they can save.

Dear Spectrum, I would really like to comparison shop with the internet and cable bill you send me every month. Oh, that's right. I can't. BECAUSE YOU HAVE A FREAKIN' MONOPOLY WHERE I LIVE!

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 21

There's a Best Buy commercial about finding the Xmas presents, and the BB employee is told by a lady that her two sisters don't agree on anything. Which...so what? Why does the BB girl need that info? Is she buying the sisters one gift to share?

• Love 3

I don’t know about any of you, but when I see a celebrity doing a commercial, and I can’t stand that person, I’m sure as heck not ever going to buy that product. 

When I see that blonde bimbo on the Taco Bell commercial doing the sunset heart hand, I just want to kick her ass right off the mountain.  Bye Bye Biotch

• Love 12

I will boycott a business for moral or ethical reasons, but for a commercial? No way. If the business has a good product for a good value, I don't give a hoot about their commercials. We refuse to eat at Chick fil a because of their homophobic owners.

• Love 11
5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

It reminds me of this ad for Amazon Music.  Hope this isn't becoming a trend, because I find the singing mouth to be creepy.  But at least the one for Amazon makes sense since it's coming off of the Bohemian Rhapsody movie.  Katy Perry's ad just looks obnoxious.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

And then it turns into the peen! A red peen!

I don't need to be haunted by a singing red peen with teeth. Damn you, Amazon!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, smittykins said:

Does anyone else think that the “Lindt master chocolatier” looks skeevy?

Just me then?

No, he looks like he's getting more interested in chocolate than is healthy and  even my mother who adores dark chocolate thinks he's creepy!

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Kemper said:

It's mostly impossibly beautiful women because they are selling to boyfriends and husbands.

16 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Every year I think her J'Adore commercials can't get any stranger, and every year they do, this year included.  But she is impossibly gorgeous; if I thought J'Adore could make me half that sexy, I'd buy it by the gallon.

I want to learn how to strut like that.  Especially down the paper towel aisle at the grocery store.

• Love 13
34 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I want to learn how to strut like that.  Especially down the paper towel aisle at the grocery store.

As long as you're not "strutting" down the toilet paper aisle.

16 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Every year I think her J'Adore commercials can't get any stranger, and every year they do, this year included.

I wish one of the perfume companies would put out a perfume called "Mal de Mer". I'm sure it would sell like crazy. since it's French.

• Love 13
11 hours ago, Amethyst said:

It reminds me of this ad for Amazon Music.  Hope this isn't becoming a trend, because I find the singing mouth to be creepy.  But at least the one for Amazon makes sense since it's coming off of the Bohemian Rhapsody movie.  Katy Perry's ad just looks obnoxious.

The Bohemian Rhapsody commercial freaks me out because the mustache is ON the lips. Not above the lips. It just looks weird and I hate it.

• Love 3
On 12/14/2018 at 11:29 AM, mmecorday said:

The Roomba commercial with the kids intentionally making a mess to demonstrate how well a Roomba cleans would have angered my Depression-era grandparents so much, I feel their rage come through me whenever I see it. Why not just throw dirt on the floor? It's literally dirt cheap!

Pretty sure my grandparents were raised on a dirt floor.

GRANDPAD = hate

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

THIS is the perfume I smell when I see the Juvederm ad!

Smell like the beach!

22 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Older people are too stupid to figure out how to use a regular tablet. Let's dumb it down for them. 

Back in the late 90s we got my mother an "email machine" that basically just sent and received email via the phone.  Every other day she'd be calling me that she "got a daemon." She'd also call that she sent an email, while my father yelled about "that g*dd*mn" machine."  So I can see why this might be useful for some people,

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Smell like the beach!

Back in the late 90s we got my mother an "email machine" that basically just sent and received email via the phone.  Every other day she'd be calling me that she "got a daemon." She'd also call that she sent an email, while my father yelled about "that g*dd*mn" machine."  So I can see why this might be useful for some people,

True. I'm sure there are many people who this product is perfect for for many reasons. But the ad just make it look like old people are too stupid for a regular tablet. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Moose135 said:

BTW, @Suzn, is that an Aussie in your profile picture?

Yes, it is.  It is not my little blue merle girl, but looks just like her.

Edited by Suzn
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

There’s a Microsoft gaming commercial that annoys me. There is a special needs boy about to beat a video game or do something fantastic in the game. Everyone cheers for him and he’s standing and cheering (he was in a wheelchair). It’s a nice commercial, but there’s a kid to the side of him doing one of those awful Fortnite dances and it totally distracts from the boy who should be the focus of the celebration. I would have no issue with the commercial if it wasn’t for that obnoxious kid and his stupid dance. 

OKay, I am special ed teacher and as much as I love inclusion, I loathe this commercial.  First off what did he do?  Oh wait it is for a video game (of course) and I do not allow video game talk nor Fortnite talk when students are with me.  (Yes I am crabby, lol)  Love seeing kids of all abilities represented but this commercial bugs me too!

• Love 8
19 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

That mouth creeps me out. 

Alfonso Ribeiro, who played Carlton on The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, is suing Epic over Fortnite’s replication of his trademark dance move. He’s also suing 2K for doing the same thing in their basketball series.

• Love 5
On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:08 PM, Ilovecomputers said:

I used to have a blind neighbor, complete with a seeing-eye dog ("Pilot").  While in my car one day, I saw them in the distance as I was arriving home.  Without thinking, I waved at them.  HE WAVED BACK.  I sat in my garage and pondered that for awhile.

Pilot probably told him.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Suzn said:

Yes, it is.  It is not my little blue merle girl, but looks just like her.

Sweet! My GF has a red Aussie, and I've become her favoritest person in the world - I've posted picture of her in the Pets thread.  They are terrific dogs.

• Love 4
On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:31 PM, chenoa333 said:

The 3 P's. Fuck off and die Alex Tribeck. That commercial is the loooooongest commercial ever.

I know we've discussed this before but its gotten to the point where I'm ready to call Colonial Penn (??) insrance and get arrested for profanity over the phone. "WHAT'S MY PRICE ALEX?" It's all the same: we screw EVERYONE over for the same price! And why are seniors always portrayed as fragile, feeble minded and gullible?

Feeble-minded. Haha   Consumer Cellular does it too. They seem determined to make older folks look even lamer than they already are......ok, we already are.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

Sweet! My GF has a red Aussie, and I've become her favoritest person in the world - I've posted picture of her in the Pets thread.  They are terrific dogs.

Thanks for pointing me to the Pets thread, which I didn't even know about!  She is a beautiful dog.

They are so smart and sweet-natured. 

• Love 4

I've never paid much attention to perfume commercials, well, ancient days Charlie Girl, but I've noticed a disturbing trend of women, uh, hem, we are all adults here, aren't we? Making love to themselves with the perfume bottle, getting very close to masturbation, but not quite crossing that line. I guess that's supposed to be voyeuristic and appeal to male buyers, but it's a major no from me. But I just saw an ad for Versace where a young god was awfully pleased with himself, probably a lot of phallic symbolism with that bow and arrow, but it's rather lost on me. 

However, there is a cute ad for Macy's with a young woman who keeps trying to sneak up on her boyfriend but he catches her because of her scent. Then she runs out of it, but surprise, he's gone to the perfume counter at Macy's and bought her a new supply. He picks the scent with the help of a helpful counter assistant and she can't sneak up on him because he's blind and he picks up her scent every time. It's rather sweet and I must have been impressed because I remember it's Macy's. 

• Love 11

Border Collie is my favorite breed of dog. I'd get one but we live on a busy street and I have mobility issues, it wouldn't be fair to such an active dog to be cooped up all day. Our yard is completely fenced, but still. I think there should be more dogs in commercials and on tv in general.

• Love 7
39 minutes ago, 7Stringer said:

Feeble-minded. Haha   Consumer Cellular does it too. They seem determined to make older folks look even lamer than they already are......ok, we already are.

So true. But then we see the commercials for "senior dating" websites and all of the (alleged) seniors in the ad are thin, fit very attractive and articulate. and NONE of them are using a walker, drinking from a tea cup while sitting in a rocking chair with an afghan quilt covering their silver hair. 

And everyone who uses a Peletron is young, already in top shape and lives in an ocean/mountain view home with floor to ceiling glass walls. Damn the overload of stupid commercials this time of year makes me so f'n pissed. 

Thanks for letting me vent! Lol

• Love 17
1 hour ago, friendperidot said:

However, there is a cute ad for Macy's with a young woman who keeps trying to sneak up on her boyfriend but he catches her because of her scent. Then she runs out of it, but surprise, he's gone to the perfume counter at Macy's and bought her a new supply. He picks the scent with the help of a helpful counter assistant and she can't sneak up on him because he's blind and he picks up her scent every time. It's rather sweet and I must have been impressed because I remember it's Macy's. 

I was just coming to post about that one in the Favorites topic. It's really cute. 

• Love 5