Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

Whole Foods is on my crumb list for its incredibly irritating commercials. First we had the woman be-bopping around the store acting all oblivious to everyone around her except the guy trying to flirt with her. Now we have a woman singing the five golden rings part of "The Twelve Days of Christmas" (off key) while helping herself to some baked goods. Shut up already!

• Love 15
16 hours ago, jcbrown said:

That one where they are caroling makes me want to stab the lot of them. Airs approximately every five minutes. You are definitely not the only one.

There's a lottery one that was done EONS ago that comes back every single Christmas.  The problem is that the names of the games change frequently, so they use the same footage of the carolers, but cut away from their faces when they say the name of the game.  The only one that has remained the same is "Cash 5", which is the "Five Golden Rings" on their stupid jingle, so you can count on a closeup of the woman as she belts out "FIVE CASH FIVES!!".  Ugh.  I cringed when I saw it back yet again this year.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

Clearly they are doing a piss-poor job at FCA advertising, as it stopped being the DODGE Ram 8 years ago! (but a lot of people in the industry still say it, so don't feel bad.)

I've haven't really paid attention to them since the early 90's when someone I'm related to had one. I just looked it up and saw the change you mentioned happened in 2011.

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:36 AM, HighMaintenance said:

I don't like the Hershey's commercial where the tween girl is sulking in her room about being dumped/mean girls at school/having her ladytime/etc.  and Mom slides a Hershey's miniature under the door to her.  Then, everything is right with the world again! 

That's not how this is supposed to work!   The angsty tween is supposed to flick the crappy Hershey's back under the door and scream, "GODIVA!".

What's up with Mom only sliding one under the door? She has a big bag of them sitting beside her but only gives her daughter sulking over being dumped/mean girls/friends/etc. just one? At least showing sliding a few more under the door or a line. Or just leave the entire bag by the door and let her daughter know its there and walk away?  Its clearly a chocolate time but she only gives her one? Even if she was sliding Godiva under the door her daughter probably needs more then just one piece.    

• Love 6

I'm going to be the odd man out on the Hershey under the door commercial. I can totally relate to it. I'm an only child who was BFF with my Mom. I had a boyfriend I pined after for years, and 6 months after we started dating, he unceremoniously dumped me. I was so hurt I thought I would die. That Mom's words that I promise things will get better is what my Mom said to me. Chocolate or not, I knew she loved me and was doing her best as a Mom.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Now we have a woman singing the five golden rings part of "The Twelve Days of Christmas" (off key) while helping herself to some baked goods. Shut up already!

She kind of cracks me up when she sings "five golden rings...six golden rings...seven golden rings!"

The new Macy's commercials with the redhead who skulks around the house hugging the walls as if she's a recon troop securing a building. She points at things around the house turning them into not all that stylish Macy's things. Is it just me or does her hair look like she just got out of the shower?

Edited by Aryanna
  • Love 8

I HATE Walmart with the heat of a thousand suns.  Won't darken the door for any reason.  Will always be a Target girl .

But Target is killin' me.  I don't know where the " round round" crap started.  Don't care. Just STOP.  please stop!  

The Target commercials have usually been fun.  But damn this year, the "round, round" is brutal!  Did they EVEN ask a focus group???   

• Love 11

Oooo I missed the Peleton-hate session!    I immediately change the channel with these vapid, obnoxious, pompous people come on the air.  It's almost laughable when the 60+ guy desperately trying to look 25 exclaims "I'm in the best shape of my life" - well good for you, don't forget to soak your teeth tonight.     Are these things interactive?   The trainers scream at you, but can they hear/see the people at home at all?  If I had one of those, I'd probably be banned from their network for screaming obscenities back to them.   I'd much rather watch the news or my favorite 1980's sitcom while exercising, rather than getting a travel monologue from Santorini or Bali. 

• Love 11
11 hours ago, zillabreeze said:

I HATE Walmart with the heat of a thousand suns.  Won't darken the door for any reason.  Will always be a Target girl .

But Target is killin' me.  I don't know where the " round round" crap started.  Don't care. Just STOP.  please stop!  

The Target commercials have usually been fun.  But damn this year, the "round, round" is brutal!  Did they EVEN ask a focus group???   

What does it for me is that it's Sia, and her voice has an odd timbre, and she doesn't annunciate, so all I hear is "Raow raow raow".  I know she has tons of fans, but I don't care for her.  Same reason I couldn't stand Meghan Trainor.  "Beacau you no I all abou dat bas bow dat bas, no tweble". Ugh.

• Love 10
On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:05 PM, QuinnInND said:

Dear stupid Liberty Mutual guy who throws his wallet away into the ocean. Please throw yourself away too.  "Depreciation.. 🙄" Yes, asshole. You want your insurance to pay full sticker price for your used car? Because it's "brand new"?? No.. No its not. It's used. Like you would buy a "brand new" used car and pay full sticker price. Idiot!!! 

The fact that he lacks the impulse control to stop himself from throwing his wallet away annoys the stew out of me.

• Love 11
On 12/5/2018 at 7:21 PM, LoneHaranguer said:

That kind of thing used to happen because clerks would load the wrong bills into a canister (e.g. put 20's into one set as containing 5's). The banks "solved" that problem by having their ATM's only give 20's. I suspect those 100's weren't really the result of an issue with the software.

On 12/5/2018 at 7:48 PM, chessiegal said:

My bank's ATM offers the choice of 20s and 10s.

Some of the ATMs at my bank give a choice, others just give $20s.  Of course, there was that one time when I was heading out of town for a week, and withdrew $200.  The ATM gave me 5 $20s and one $100 bill.  Now, everyone knows that McDonalds don't do $100 bills, so I did another transaction, deposited the $100 bill, then withdrew $100 and got 5 $20s again.

• Love 3
On 12/6/2018 at 1:17 PM, mmecorday said:

Whole Foods is on my crumb list for its incredibly irritating commercials. First we had the woman be-bopping around the store acting all oblivious to everyone around her except the guy trying to flirt with her. Now we have a woman singing the five golden rings part of "The Twelve Days of Christmas" (off key) while helping herself to some baked goods. Shut up already!

IKR?!

Meat Santa is so stupid!  Who the FUDGE asks another person that?!

https://ispot.tv/a/IVEh

This is a commercial on Sirius, not TV, but it's annoying: there's a self-protection device called Tiger Lady and, as its name implies, it's modeled after retractable cat claws. Anyway, in the commercial, the narrator says that the device works like "a real-life wolverine." Why say "wolverine" when the thing is already deliberately named after a cat?!

• Love 4
On 12/7/2018 at 10:13 AM, funky-rat said:

What does it for me is that it's Sia, and her voice has an odd timbre, and she doesn't annunciate, so all I hear is "Raow raow raow".  I know she has tons of fans, but I don't care for her.  Same reason I couldn't stand Meghan Trainor.  "Beacau you no I all abou dat bas bow dat bas, no tweble". Ugh.

Maybe if Sia would stop being twee, and turned around to face the audience, we might be able to understand her.

• Love 5
On 12/7/2018 at 2:00 AM, zillabreeze said:

Yea I'm no fan of those Target ads. That said, I'm an 'any store that has a good sale' kind of person myself.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 6
On 12/3/2018 at 10:38 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

LIke Joe Namath has to worry about Medicare benefits or getting a ride to the VA.  Give me a break.

I feel that way about "impact" as a verb, to  me it is a noun but I gave up a long time ago.  Please no linking a dictionary blurb to my comment - I accept it is a verb, I just don't like it, lol!!

Nero Wolfe, the fictional detective, once consigned a dictionary to the flames for the temerity of defining "impact" as a verb.

• Love 11
On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:11 PM, trudysmom said:

Please tell me, sane people, that I'm not the only one annoyed by the endless KFC commercials.  They just get more and more stupid. 

The one where carolers show up at the door & hand the guy all the "5 dollar fill-up" boxes then finish by singing "now give us 5 bucks" -NO! I'll slam the door in their face, he did not order or ask for these box lunches-don't demand money!

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:13 PM, funky-rat said:

thats what I hear too! LOL In fact I cant understand most of the words she is singing.

Edited by xls
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Jamoche said:

Nero Wolfe, the fictional detective, once consigned a dictionary to the flames for the temerity of defining "impact" as a verb.

I'm convinced that people started using "impact" as a verb because they were unsure about how to use "affect" & "effect" (which admittedly can be tricky).  Instead of saying that the local hospital has been affected (or should it be effected?) by a flu epidemic, they feel comfortable saying that the hospital has been impacted.  Lazy!

• Love 8
15 hours ago, fairffaxx said:

Instead of saying that the local hospital has been affected (or should it be effected?) by a flu epidemic, they feel comfortable saying that the hospital has been impacted.  Lazy!

However, how else would you describe a wayward wisdom tooth?

• Love 6
On 11/26/2018 at 5:44 PM, TeapotDiva said:

I think the wife in this commercial is the Daughter of Yogurt Bitch.  Hubby buys a red truck for her and a black one for himself; she gloms on to the black truck.  "Honey, I'm glad you like the black truck . . . ."  "I. Love. It."  "But actually the black one is for me . . . ."  "I.  LOVE.  IT!"

Not to mention, what the heck does she need a giant pick-up for?  I mean, that is one big-ass truck!

Yeah, tis the season for annoying car commercials. This one with the chick who is denying her sweet little dog some hands-on love (after all that dog is probably all of 10 pounds) so she can show off her cargo lift: 

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/dNE_/2018-land-rover-discovery-electronic-air-suspension-dog-t2

And for some reason, they are running this one from last year again with the snarky bitch who is compelled to point out that her hubby drove the car a little before presenting it to her. It's a Jag, lady. Are you so special that you can't be grateful for someone giving you a Jag without being snide?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wCAs/jaguar-frisco-holiday-joyride

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

Annoying commercial as has been discussed here, the heart hand girlfriend, what kind of boyfriend does he say he is at the first of the ad? I keep missing it.

Instagram?

• Love 1

People are calling MasterCard out for a tone deaf ad about a woman who is called into the office to talk about her not having taken time off in five and a half years.

https://www.comicsands.com/mastercard-commercial-about-surprise-vacation-2622593998.html?utm_content=inf_10_3759_2&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=GTAK&tse_id=INF_273d03b0f99a11e8871cc5c94d0ec567

Edited by Silver Raven
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, SoSueMe said:

Yeah, tis the season for annoying car commercials. This one with the chick who is denying her sweet little dog some hands-on love (after all that dog is probably all of 10 pounds) so she can show off her cargo lift: 

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/dNE_/2018-land-rover-discovery-electronic-air-suspension-dog-t2

And for some reason, they are running this one from last year again with the snarky bitch who is compelled to point out that her hubby drove the car a little before presenting it to her. It's a Jag, lady. Are you so special that you can't be grateful for someone giving you a Jag without being snide?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wCAs/jaguar-frisco-holiday-joyride

On a similar note, women being bitchy in commercials, how about the one where the girl calls her dad for help over ruining dinner before a date.  He swoops in and saves the day, then he innocently just asks what "his name" is, and she just says, "Dad!!!?" and hangs up. 

Fine, fix your own crisis next time.  He just asked his name. 

• Love 15

I'm a Food Network addict this time of year.  But they are killing me with the endless commercials with 

Marcela Valladolid screeching about a holiday surprise.  Ugh.  And Lorraine's "yes yes yes" seems to play on a continuous loop.

Advertise something I don't know about already, but stop beating me over the head with commercials for shows I'm already watching!!

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, trudysmom said:

I'm a Food Network addict this time of year.  But they are killing me with the endless commercials with 

Marcela Valladolid screeching about a holiday surprise.  Ugh.  And Lorraine's "yes yes yes" seems to play on a continuous loop.

Advertise something I don't know about already, but stop beating me over the head with commercials for shows I'm already watching!!

I totally agree about the "yes yes yes" from Lorraine. The way it is shot makes her look like she could be in some sort of horror film. So... many...teeth.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I totally agree about the "yes yes yes" from Lorraine. The way it is shot makes her look like she could be in some sort of horror film. So... many...teeth.

I still don't know who she is, but she terrifies me!

• Love 2

I've noticed Liberty Mutual has a couple new commercials that go for humor.  One is a biker with enormous calves and the other is someone in the witness protection program.  I guess LM got the message that the whiners in their commercials were ridiculous (and thoroughly ridiculed) so their ad people decided to embrace the ridiculous.  They aren't really funny so it's still a fail.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

Kelly Ripa telling me 10 times a day that she found out from Ancestry that she comes from the "toe of that sexy Italian boot"  annoys the hell out of me.  

How did she not know this before?  It's not like her Italian ancestors came over on the Mayflower or crossed the ice bridge at the Bering Strait.  I don't get how any of these people are so unaware of their ethnic background.  How do they think they're German when they're actually Scottish?  Maybe they should spend more time talking to their grandparents and other relatives rather than on DNA tests.

• Love 10
13 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

How did she not know this before?  It's not like her Italian ancestors came over on the Mayflower or crossed the ice bridge at the Bering Strait.  I don't get how any of these people are so unaware of their ethnic background.  How do they think they're German when they're actually Scottish?  Maybe they should spend more time talking to their grandparents and other relatives rather than on DNA tests.

Or even doing a search engine deal on name origins which would take not even ten seconds and cost nothing. But then one must consider the source with Miss Ripa- IMO she's an annoying person in general and I somehow don't think she volunteered to do that commercial. 

• Love 8

Yes, I’m being a nitpicky bluestocking, but I hate the Barnes & Noble commercial that talks about having books for everyone on your list. For the “Victorian,” they show someone reading “Pride and Prejudice.” By the time Queen Victoria was born, Jane Austen had been dead for two years!

• Love 21
On 12/7/2018 at 12:13 PM, funky-rat said:

I totally agree with you guys about the raow raow raow song but I love that one song Sia did, Chandelier. And I know you're gonna hate me for it, but I kinda like that Dior commercial with Natalie Portman that uses Chandelier in it. Except the part where he yells "I LOVE YOU" like he's mad at her and she yells back at him "PROVE IT." That's kinda goofy. And I like how it's kinda telling a story. It's like a Zac Snyder movie, it's got pretty shots that look kinda cool and pretends to tell a story but it really doesn't.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Aryanna said:

I totally agree with you guys about the raow raow raow song but I love that one song Sia did, Chandelier. And I know you're gonna hate me for it, but I kinda like that Dior commercial with Natalie Portman that uses Chandelier in it. Except the part where he yells "I LOVE YOU" like he's mad at her and she yells back at him "PROVE IT." That's kinda goofy. And I like how it's kinda telling a story. It's like a Zac Snyder movie, it's got pretty shots that look kinda cool and pretends to tell a story but it really doesn't.

Feel free to like it.  I'm sure I love stuff you'd hate.  It's all good.  ;)

13 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

Feel free to like it.  I'm sure I love stuff you'd hate.  It's all good.  ;)

For a chuckle, watch the ad at 1.5 times speed. It makes the lyrics from the song and the lines spoken in the ad sound like there's no feeling in them and they're just trying to make it through the ad as quickly and painlessly as possible.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, cpcathy said:

The chick in the Lindt chocolate commercial will not go away.

Sure, I take off my pants, put on an oversized sweater and huge socks, get in front of a roaring fire, then eat ONE chocolate and appear to be orgasming. Sure, Lindt.

That camera angle showing her big fish lips over the ball-like piece of chocolate is, um, odd.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

My mother was adopted as an infant almost 90 years ago and we know very little about her family.  My grandmother died of spinal meningitis two weeks after giving birth to my mom, and my grandfather put all the children up for adoption.  Her adoption records were sealed, but her older sister found her (somehow) when they were middle-aged.  (They never found their brother.)  Her sister always said we were Irish.  My mom and I did the Ancestry.com test and have very little Irish; we're actually Norwegian and Spanish.  The Spanish part really amazed us.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, Ilovecomputers said:

That camera angle showing her big fish lips over the ball-like piece of chocolate is, um, odd.

Is that  a subliminal message to get men to buy their girlfriends and wives Lindt chocolate?  

• Love 3