Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Maverick

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

The Queen of the Night's aria from Mozart's Magic Flute hurts ears? This is what music (and opera) is all about for me.

If I was a fan and geared up to hear it, I might agree. But to spring it on me in a car commercial is audio assault, at least to me. I'm sure that others might feel the same about "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" in the Peloton  commercial. Love the song, but I'm turned off by the whole Peloton thing. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/19/2018 at 8:57 PM, Brattinella said:

Urkel.  HERkel.

Ahhhh got it—thank you! 

23 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I know the cat is there for pest control but you'd think, at this festive time of year, Mr. Bodega guy could make an exception and take puss home for some Christmas cheer.

 

Considering how many pets are homeless, abused, etc in this world, a bodega cat doesn’t rank super high on my Depressing Meter. This cat is warm, dry, fed and cares for. 

16 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I go to Whole Foods many days of the week because they have quality food I want. I've never seen anyone dancing done the aisles, but I have ignored screaming children.

Sadly that’s just about every store this day it seems. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, trudysmom said:

There's Toyota commercial that is a crime against humanity.  Someone with a high-pitched voice does a horrific, slow cover of Dion's Wanderer.  Urk.  

That ad is an abomination against music.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

The Queen of the Night's aria from Mozart's Magic Flute hurts ears? This is what music (and opera) is all about for me.

My problem is that it is really electronically manipulated (reverb, autotune?). That kind of defeats the purpose of opera. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Wow! I'm seriously traumatized by the sight of Joe Namath in some Medicare/Medical commercial. He looks like part wax figure and part zombie. 

  • Like 23

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Wow! I'm seriously traumatized by the sight of Joe Namath in some Medicare/Medical commercial. He looks like part wax figure and part zombie. 

Haha! You and my husband - he said OMG!! Is that Joe Namath????

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Haha! You and my husband - he said OMG!! Is that Joe Namath????

Lol! They could have used ME for that commercial saying "hi I'm Joe Namath" and it would be no more OR less believable! 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/14/2018 at 11:34 AM, proserpina65 said:

The husband does say that it was struck by lightning, though.

Are there two versions?  'Cause I thought I saw one where he was sneaking in and using it.

I've only seen the one in which the husband uses the Peleton every times his wife leaves the house (pre-Christmas).

What's with the Peloton hate here?  Does it not do what it's supposed to do, poorly made, what?  I have a friend who has one and she loves it.  

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know why this guy bothers me so much. Probably a perfectly nice man and I apologize, but the tight shirt, the tan...only missing some gold chains lol!

looks like a guy who wont leave you alone after you've made it clear you're not interested! And ffs the song makes no sense for this ad. 

Edited by xls
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, janie jones said:

I'm not the OP, but I certainly think it's grody that she's masturbating to the Shape of Water love scene.

Anybody would be grody masturbating to that! lol

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

I mused in The Goldberg’s thread that the creator of the show must have spent a zillion dollars for “Bohemian Rhapsody” because he used it over and over during the ep it was featured in and I thought he was trying to get his money’s worth.

Now, that I appear to hear a different Queen song in every ad on TV, I’m thinking he spent five cents on the dollar for the rights.  And that makes me sad.

The movie was a hit, especially overseas! You can’t need the money any more, stop whoring out Freddie’s legacy!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, xls said:

I don't know why this guy bothers me so much. Probably a perfectly nice man and I apologize, but the tight shirt, the tan...only missing some gold chains lol!

looks like a guy who wont leave you alone after you've made it clear you're not interested! And ffs the song makes no sense for this ad. 

 

 

He needs to buy his shirts in a larger size. I thought it was a woman at first until I watched the YouTube video. He's definitely creepy looking. 

Edited by chenoa333
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, janie jones said:

I'm not the OP, but I certainly think it's grody that she's masturbating to the Shape of Water love scene.

I didn't get the impression that she's masturbating. In fact, both of her hands are visible through the whole ad. Not to be gross myself, but how is she accomplishing that with no hands?

Asking for a friend, lol.

Edited by Ashforth
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

 

What's with the Peloton hate here?  Does it not do what it's supposed to do, poorly made, what?  I have a friend who has one and she loves it.  

For myself, the ads are annoying more than the product itself. I hate the people on the screen who are the trainers or whatever. Don't point at me and give me that "come on, you can do more" gesture. Fuck off. And the one where the mom is riding and sweat is pouring off her, and her small child comes in, apparently just waking up, and she gets off the bike, all sweaty, and picks him up. Ick. But pretentiousness is my biggest problem with these ads. 

18 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Wow! I'm seriously traumatized by the sight of Joe Namath in some Medicare/Medical commercial. He looks like part wax figure and part zombie. 

My husband said no way that was really him.  I had to look it up and prove it to him. He looks awful. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

I've never used a Peloton or any of the others advertised, and at my age and with my physical health problems, I'm never going to. But for me, it's the ads I hate, the smugness, so much better than everyone else because they use an expensive machine. And I also hate the trainers. But a lot of it, is just puzzling, there is no way on earth, I'm going let someone on a video screen yell at me to "do just one more" or "feel the burn." And I thought "Johnny on the Spot" was a line of portable toilets. And I may be old and infirm, but I will never confuse being on an exercise machine watching a video screen in my living room with running on a beach in Greece. I would not be waving at the people in the village. Then there's the one guy who says whatever exercise machine "fell in his lap" meaning he discovered it by accident, all I can think is, "if that thing fell in my lap, I would be seriously hurt, that's a heavy piece of equipment!" I'm easily amused sometimes.

  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I go to Whole Foods many days of the week because they have quality food I want. I've never seen anyone dancing done the aisles, but I have ignored screaming children.

Sadly that’s just about every store this day it seems. 

I don't get that when I shop at Wegmans. As for Wal-Mart & (sometimes) Target, that's a different story.

 

If those clowns from Amazon think that creepy singing boxes will not only put me in the holiday spirit, but also makes me want to use their services, then they're as stupid as I think they are. Amazon needs my money as much I need to jump into a thorny rose bush.

I don't know what DAZN is or what it does. But, Michael Buffer & that overrated jerk Connor McGregor makes me not want to deal with that. And why is Michael Buffer doing this anyway? Its bad enough that he won't shut up and go away & Connor McGregor is still around pissing me off. I wish that Khabib (UFC) will show up & put both of these jerks in their place.

Edited by Magog

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, friendperidot said:

I've never used a Peloton or any of the others advertised, and at my age and with my physical health problems, I'm never going to. But for me, it's the ads I hate, the smugness, so much better than everyone else because they use an expensive machine. And I also hate the trainers. But a lot of it, is just puzzling, there is no way on earth, I'm going let someone on a video screen yell at me to "do just one more" or "feel the burn." And I thought "Johnny on the Spot" was a line of portable toilets. And I may be old and infirm, but I will never confuse being on an exercise machine watching a video screen in my living room with running on a beach in Greece. I would not be waving at the people in the village. Then there's the one guy who says whatever exercise machine "fell in his lap" meaning he discovered it by accident, all I can think is, "if that thing fell in my lap, I would be seriously hurt, that's a heavy piece of equipment!" I'm easily amused sometimes.

Lol! That's some funny $hit! I can "run in place" in front of the TV while watching Aerial Greece or Aerial America and not spend a dime! 

3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Perhaps Namath should go back to wearing L'eggs panty hose, but now over his head. 

Make sure those pantyhose are opaque!

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, chenoa333 said:

But for me, it's the ads I hate, the smugness, so much better than everyone else because they use an expensive machine. And I also hate the trainers. But a lot of it, is just puzzling, there is no way on earth, I'm going let someone on a video screen yell at me to "do just one more" or "feel the burn."

THIS.  I LOATHE the Peloton ads, rich smug people just happily pedaling away.  Trainers as well, no WAY would I tolerate someone hollering at me on a video!

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

What's with the Peloton hate here?  Does it not do what it's supposed to do, poorly made, what?  I have a friend who has one and she loves it.  

I thought Peloton was a great idea a couple of years ago because they had an app that you could use to subscribe to the service without purchasing the uber expensive bike with built in tablet. I really was looking forward to checking it out because I was seriously out of shape and thought a live coach and others would motivate me. There was a 14 day trial or 7 day or something so I signed up and went to a "Beginner" class/workout/session. I was done in about 90 seconds. Whatever it was, it was not a beginner workout at all. And so it was with my experience with Peloton. A great idea that's poorly implemented unless you are a spin master. Very disappointing.

Edited by configdotsys · Reason: fixed stuff
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

I thought the exercise bike I had in high school(that had a speedometer/odometer)was hot stuff.  I put 1300 miles on that thing and never moved an inch. 😀

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

Trainers as well, no WAY would I tolerate someone hollering at me on a video!

I don't have to pay people to yell at me, my family yells at me for free.

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

For myself, the ads are annoying more than the product itself. I hate the people on the screen who are the trainers or whatever. Don't point at me and give me that "come on, you can do more" gesture. Fuck off. And the one where the mom is riding and sweat is pouring off her, and her small child comes in, apparently just waking up, and she gets off the bike, all sweaty, and picks him up. Ick. But pretentiousness is my biggest problem with these ads. 

My husband said no way that was really him.  I had to look it up and prove it to him. He looks awful. 

Yes and yes

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I hate all perfume commercials but have a special burning hatred for the holiday ones and extra special burning hatred for the holiday ones with celebrities. I can't think of a perfume commercial that wasn't stupid.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

I'm leaving a nasty message on Procter and Gamble website regarding their revolting Bounty paper towels ad.  I am so appalled at companies using children in their ads doing despicable things and actually encouraging their bad behavior.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I hate all perfume commercials but have a special burning hatred for the holiday ones and extra special burning hatred for the holiday ones with celebrities. I can't think of a perfume commercial that wasn't stupid.

I know, they're so stupid & over done! Burning hate for the phrase "fragrance destination" omg, please.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

I have a plan that *when* I win the lottery, I can get a house with a room dedicated to exercise (hahahaha). I'd love to have some art students copy my vacation pictures into murals. I favor photos of "the road ahead" with unlimited possibilities. I could have one wall be the old Natchez Trace road (they've left a segment unpaved you can drive on for about a mile parallel to the paved road - it's gorgeous wilderness) another wall be the "tree-tunnel" road leading to Monroe's house, Ashlawn/Highland, etc. Point the stationary bike (who needs Peloton; I just need to move) toward whichever wall I feel like visiting today... The whole idea from winning the lottery to me actually exercising beyond running my mouth & jumping to conclusions is total fantasy. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

I think ad agencies are putting revolting commercials out there on purpose. Clients are okaying them too. They seem to think if we're disgusted we will buy. Sign of the times!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:17 PM, Browncoat said:

Ditto, but OTOH, even if Little Caesar's were my only option for pizza, I might just go without pizza.  Besides, I like a good crust!

Their Detroit style deep-dish pizza is good.  Not great, but good.

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:29 AM, Haleth said:

Wiz Khalifa.  (I admit I don't know his music since I'm older than dirt.)

Leslie Jones.  Grody?

Adam Levine and Jonah Hill.

I wouldn't characterize any of these people as unsavory.

None of them seemed particularly savory in those commercials. 

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:39 PM, Rinaldo said:

The Queen of the Night's aria from Mozart's Magic Flute hurts ears? This is what music (and opera) is all about for me.

I love opera.  I hate Mozart.  I don't like that aria, and can understand why the way it's enhanced in that commercial could hurt someone's ears.  But I'll admit that some of these opinions are subjective.

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:37 PM, SoSueMe said:

If I was a fan and geared up to hear it, I might agree. But to spring it on me in a car commercial is audio assault, at least to me. I'm sure that others might feel the same about "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" in the Peloton  commercial. Love the song, but I'm turned off by the whole Peloton thing. 

That version of Crazy Little Thing Called Love is terrible.  Pelotons are overpriced and ridiculous, imo.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/19/2018 at 6:15 PM, AuntiePam said:

The GMC ad where the woman plops down two toy trucks on the kitchen counter and tells her husband she got a Black Friday deal, and the husband says "I got one too" and takes her outside to show her two GMC trucks, one red and one black.  She runs to the black one and says "I love it" and he says "I love that you love it" and she again shares her love for the black truck and the husband says "I like red".

But hey, I bet I didn't have to type all that -- I could have stopped after "toy trucks" -- because that ad is on all the freakin' time!  Trying to watch the Rams/Chiefs and that ad has played at every commercial break, sometimes twice in the same break.

Everyone hates the holiday ads where people are giving each other cars -- it just makes it worse when the ads are so over-played.  Gah!  If I was in the market for a truck, I'd go to a GMC dealer, show them my money, and leave.

I think the wife in this commercial is the Daughter of Yogurt Bitch.  Hubby buys a red truck for her and a black one for himself; she gloms on to the black truck.  "Honey, I'm glad you like the black truck . . . ."  "I. Love. It."  "But actually the black one is for me . . . ."  "I.  LOVE.  IT!"

Not to mention, what the heck does she need a giant pick-up for?  I mean, that is one big-ass truck!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, TeapotDiva said:

I think the wife in this commercial is the Daughter of Yogurt Bitch.  Hubby buys a red truck for her and a black one for himself; she gloms on to the black truck.  "Honey, I'm glad you like the black truck . . . ."  "I. Love. It."  "But actually the black one is for me . . . ."  "I.  LOVE.  IT!"

Not to mention, what the heck does she need a giant pick-up for?  I mean, that is one big-ass truck!

 

For that matter, what exactly does he need one for? He doesn’t strike me as the weekend fixer type. Maybe they have a boat to tow.

That commercial also bugs because dude just went out and bought $100,000+ in vehicles. 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Not to mention, what the heck does she need a giant pick-up for?  I mean, that is one big-ass truck!

Phallus? What does anyone outside of farming/ranching and construction need those big ass trucks for? I used to work in a psych hospital. We had an employee, I worked in HR at the time, I saw his resume, I was in on the background check. He lied about his experience in the psych field and life in general, stated things about being in the military in a time and place when he would have been 9 years old. I can't remember the details, it's been about 16-17 years, but they were blatant lies. He was hired...for a middle management spot, then promoted and promoted and promoted. He was a short man. I mean that in every way, about 5'5" and small hands and feet and mind, but big on ego. I don't know about his sexual prowess or abilities, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole. But with every promotion he bought a bigger truck. This is Oklahoma, people drive big trucks. His were bigger. We had a joke in our office that he was soon going to come to work in a Hummer. Shortly after that my personal hell in that place increased and I found a job at another hospital and only took a 30% increase in salary. I hated that place. Actually my hell probably increased when for our holiday door decorating, I suggested that my office make A Christmas Story theme door, the scene with Santa and the slide in the dept. store. With our CEO's face on Santa and this person climbing up the slide. And I was instrumental in making the figures. We won first place.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, TeapotDiva said:

Not to mention, what the heck does she need a giant pick-up for?  I mean, that is one big-ass truck!

So is the other truck, so why is it only her?  What does he - the one who went out and bought them without talking to her about it - need a big-ass truck for, either?

I want to hate that one a little less than the rest of the "Surprise! A vehicle!" holiday commercials since the guy is played by the actor who played Wes on Major Crimes, but, nope, I hate it like all the others.  Cars shouldn't be a surprise the vast majority of the time; it's an uncomfortably expensive item to receive as a gift, if it's instead a situation where it was purchased with joint finances that's way too large a purchase for one party to make without discussing it with the other, and regardless of the financial circumstances a car is something one should get to pick the make, model, and features on themselves, not have chosen for them.  Yet every year at this time, the airwaves are littered with people surprising each other with cars.

Also, it says "Gift like a pro," and gift as a verb drives me crazy.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

Dear Lord.

GMC sponsors Monday Night Football. In the 50 minutes since I posted, I’ve seen this blasted commercial FIVE times. It did allow me to confirm that the red vehicle is an SUV and not a minivan. Lol

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, Bastet said:

So is the other truck, so why is it only her?  What does he - the one who went out and bought them without talking to her about it - need a big-ass truck for, either?

I want to hate that one a little less than the rest of the "Surprise! A vehicle!" holiday commercials since the guy is played by the actor who played Wes on Major Crimes, but, nope, I hate it like all the others.  Cars shouldn't be a surprise the vast majority of the time; it's an uncomfortably expensive item to receive as a gift, if it's instead a situation where it was purchased with joint finances that's way too large a purchase for one party to make without discussing it with the other, and regardless of the financial circumstances a car is something one should get to pick the make, model, and features on themselves, not have chosen for them.  Yet every year at this time, the airwaves are littered with people surprising each other with cars.

Also, it says "Gift like a pro," and gift as a verb drives me crazy.

So with you on everything you said. I have a perfectly good 14 year old nice car I bought new and I have taken good care of, but have been lusting after a new model. My husband knows this, but if he surprised me with a new car for Christmas, I'd be pissed as hell. Last time we bought a car, seems we had 3 days to change our minds. If I'd have a new car given to me without my knowledge, it would be returned to the dealer the next day.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, tanyak said:

Dear Lord.

GMC sponsors Monday Night Football. In the 50 minutes since I posted, I’ve seen this blasted commercial FIVE times. It did allow me to confirm that the red vehicle is an SUV and not a minivan. Lol

Every frickin' frackin' break they showed this commercial.  I was indifferent to it before, but after so many times last night?  HATE!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Not a fan of most holiday commercials, too kitchy.  Except when they aren't because they are too loud, too flashy and obnoxious. (looking at you, Toyota).  But I love it every year when the Hershey's Kisses play Jingle Bells.  To me, that's the start of the season.  

  • Like 23

Share this post


Link to post

What’s with Folgers commercials trying so hard to be a 30 sec version of “this is us”. Perfect looking families growing old before our eyes reliving moments from childhood with their ever adoring perfect parents.  Dicks sporting goods does this too with their ping pong table commercial. I believe I saw other brands attemping to give you the feels with this formula but I can’t recall their names at the moment. It’s all so contrived and lazy. 

Edited by OpalNightstream
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Mattresses... Since when do you have to be a millionaire to afford to buy a mattress?  You can buy a refrigerator, dishwasher, washer and drier combined for the same price as a mattress.  Really, are mattresses that hard to make? A few springs and a bunch of waste cotton batting.  Now one company is advertising that they use diamonds in their mattresses! WTF? Diamonds?  Who the hell wants or needs to sleep on freaking diamonds? Marie Antoinette?

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

Well, no. If a Princess could feel a pea under 20 mattresses, surely she can feel diamonds in one. Diamond mattresses are for PEASANTS!!

Well, no. If a Princess could feel a pea under 20 mattresses, surely she can feel diamonds in one. Diamond mattresses are for PEASANTS!!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Aleve commercials irritate me. Come on. How long does it take to get a drink of water and take some medicine? 10 seconds? And what if your body doesn't need medicine for 8 hours or 12? You should always take a minimum amount of medicine. It also makes me wonder if these people wear depends undergarments. If you don't have half a minute to take more pills, you probably don't have 5 minutes to go to the bathroom!

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Mattresses... Since when do you have to be a millionaire to afford to buy a mattress?  You can buy a refrigerator, dishwasher, washer and drier combined for the same price as a mattress.  Really, are mattresses that hard to make? A few springs and a bunch of waste cotton batting.  Now one company is advertising that they use diamonds in their mattresses! WTF? Diamonds?  Who the hell wants or needs to sleep on freaking diamonds? Marie Antoinette?

I hadn't heard of this particular anomaly, but I've been noticing lots of fancy new mattress ads that are essentially blow-up beds for $$$$.  They all come in a roll, and when you unzip it and (pull something I guess) it expands to full size.  Is this supposed to be a boon to the customer or the shipper?

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

I hadn't heard of this particular anomaly, but I've been noticing lots of fancy new mattress ads that are essentially blow-up beds for $$$$.  They all come in a roll, and when you unzip it and (pull something I guess) it expands to full size.  Is this supposed to be a boon to the customer or the shipper?

I have a Casper mattress, and it came that way.  It's not a blow-up bead, it is a memory foam hybrid mattress, and they suck the air out of it and vacuum seal it in heavy plastic then roll it up for shipping.  You cut open the plastic and remove it, and the mattress "breathes" in air to return to normal size - think of a foam block you squash down flat with your hand, which then returns to normal when you release it, or like those clothes storage systems where you put your clothes in a plastic bag then use your vacuum cleaner to suck the air out so it squashed down flat for easier storage.  Shipping it that way makes for a much smaller, easier to manage box, and takes very little time to set up.  I've had the Casper almost two years, and love it.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

I have a Casper mattress, and it came that way.  It's not a blow-up bead, it is a memory foam hybrid mattress, and they suck the air out of it and vacuum seal it in heavy plastic then roll it up for shipping.  You cut open the plastic and remove it, and the mattress "breathes" in air to return to normal size - think of a foam block you squash down flat with your hand, which then returns to normal when you release it, or like those clothes storage systems where you put your clothes in a plastic bag then use your vacuum cleaner to suck the air out so it squashed down flat for easier storage.  Shipping it that way makes for a much smaller, easier to manage box, and takes very little time to set up.  I've had the Casper almost two years, and love it.

I like a very hard mattress so I don't think I'd ever but one of those memory foam ones-just cant stand 'sinking in' to any furniture. to each his own but I just wonder how you would pack it up & send it back if you don't like it-lol. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×