Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I agree - it is refreshing to see someone proud of their work but I agree she can get on some people's nerves.  Speaking of nerves, the couple who put their heads flat on the table to see how thin or thick the crust is......just stop.

What bugs me about that ad is they're doing it all wrong. If you want to see thre crust on the bottem, look at it from the edge of the table, not with your head laying on it!

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

What bugs me about that ad is they're doing it all wrong. If you want to see thre crust on the bottem, look at it from the edge of the table, not with your head laying on it!

Or just pick the damn thing up and look underneath.

• Love 9
21 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

The GMC ad where the woman plops down two toy trucks on the kitchen counter and tells her husband she got a Black Friday deal, and the husband says "I got one too" and takes her outside to show her two GMC trucks, one red and one black.  She runs to the black one and says "I love it" and he says "I love that you love it" and she again shares her love for the black truck and the husband says "I like red".

I was going to chime in to say that ad is just so awful and NOT bc it's overplayed....it's because the people in it should be loaded into a rocket and shot into the sun. Here it is in all its offensive glory.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/d0cU/2019-gmc-acadia-2018-holidays-one-for-you-one-for-me-t2

Edited by Prairie Fire
  • Love 3
On 11/19/2018 at 10:38 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

I agree - it is refreshing to see someone proud of their work but I agree she can get on some people's nerves.  Speaking of nerves, the couple who put their heads flat on the table to see how thin or thick the crust is......just stop.

Substitute dialog: 

"Is that a pizza? There's no crust on it. Do you see a crust?"

"Nope, no crust. Weird. We should call and get a refund."

• Love 6
On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:38 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Speaking of nerves, the couple who put their heads flat on the table to see how thin or thick the crust is......just stop.

If you have to do this, the crust is too thin.  Then again I'm a Chicago Deep Dish or Detroit-style pizza guy.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Tom Holmberg said:

If you have to do this, the crust is too thin.  Then again I'm a Chicago Deep Dish or Detroit-style pizza guy.

Me too I like the crust hot, tear it off, dip it in butter or marinara sauce!

• Love 3
On 11/19/2018 at 11:38 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Speaking of nerves, the couple who put their heads flat on the table to see how thin or thick the crust is......just stop.

My kids love that one. They laugh like crazy. My 8 year old especially. 

• Love 2

This ad is super cute, so normally I would say it’s a favorite commercial, but Christ almighty the cover of the song is so godawful horrendous it makes me hate it.  I should probably just watch with the sound off.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Mojoween: you're kidding me! I guess I better give it another listen. Wasn't that Marvin Gaye? OMG! It's unrecognizable. I had the volume low the first time I watched. 

Yep Marvin Gaye was the original artist but like Browncoat I’m more familiar with James Taylor.

What that girl does to it is a crime against both men.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, mojoween said:

Yep Marvin Gaye was the original artist but like Browncoat I’m more familiar with James Taylor.

What that girl does to it is a crime against both men.

Oh god, what a horrific cover of a nice song. And the whole commercial is just depressing. Poor kitty.

On 10/29/2018 at 3:15 PM, Bastet said:

No, the brand of her food line (for people) is Rachael Ray, and includes "EVOO," balsamic vinegar, and some seasonings.  I'm not sure if it's in production anymore, but at any rate it came out well after the show started, and the show is where she began the EVOO crap (where she'd say "E-V-O-O," and then every time immediately follow that up with the explanation that she means extra virgin olive oil).

Charmin.  Toyota uses "Let's Go Places."

Yeah I want Toyota to go to ONE PLACE...kinda warm...

On 10/29/2018 at 3:15 PM, Bastet said:

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh god, what a horrific cover of a nice song. And the whole commercial is just depressing. Poor kitty.

Why is it depressing?  He’s a bodega cat, lots of them in NYC.  Most of them live in the stores, and keep the places free from vermin.  This one not only had a name, but a collar.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Why is it depressing?  He’s a bodega cat, lots of them in NYC.  Most of them live in the stores, and keep the places free from vermin.  This one not only had a name, but a collar.

And what looks to be a very caring owner!

• Love 4

I was thinking that if it's a bodega cat, he has a job and that is to keep the mice and other rodents out of the store and it's food. Those rodents are mostly (I don't know much about them, I've worked hard all of my life to keep my ignorance) nocturnal and don't come out much when there are people around, so they come out after the place is closed and that's when the cat's real job begins. Unrelated to the commercial, I did see a mouse running between shelves in Dollar Tree in broad daylight - I wouldn't go back in for quite a while and I don't buy foodstuffs there. And, I am from the midwest, but lived the 70s and early 80s in the WDC area, but I never heard the word "bodega" until I watched Law & Order regularly. Took me a couple of times to understand what they were saying and understand what it was.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, friendperidot said:

I was thinking that if it's a bodega cat, he has a job and that is to keep the mice and other rodents out of the store and it's food. Those rodents are mostly (I don't know much about them, I've worked hard all of my life to keep my ignorance) nocturnal and don't come out much when there are people around, so they come out after the place is closed and that's when the cat's real job begins. Unrelated to the commercial, I did see a mouse running between shelves in Dollar Tree in broad daylight - I wouldn't go back in for quite a while and I don't buy foodstuffs there. And, I am from the midwest, but lived the 70s and early 80s in the WDC area, but I never heard the word "bodega" until I watched Law & Order regularly. Took me a couple of times to understand what they were saying and understand what it was.

I never did either until I watched Law & Order. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I know the cat is there for pest control but you'd think, at this festive time of year, Mr. Bodega guy could make an exception and take puss home for some Christmas cheer.

Except the store is the cat’s home — its territory. It wouldn’t like being moved. It would spend all of Xmas hiding under a bed somewhere. 

• Love 14

Whole Foods is part of this incomprehensible trend to potray a company's as morons. There's a series of ads for some VR helmet and everyone using acts like the dumb relative everyone wants to ban from the family.  Totally wants me to buy the product. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Except the store is the cat’s home — its territory. It wouldn’t like being moved. It would spend all of Xmas hiding under a bed somewhere. 

Mine wouldn't! LOL

3 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Whole Foods is part of this incomprehensible trend to potray a company's as morons. There's a series of ads for some VR helmet and everyone using acts like the dumb relative everyone wants to ban from the family.  Totally wants me to buy the product. 

Ugh. There's an ad for some quasi-VR device with some unsavory people:

• A filthy-looking "musician" seems way too interested in watching himself in concert to care about the party I assume he is hosting.
  • A grody woman (I think) is getting off in a bathtub while watching The Shape of Water ("I may never leave my tub!").
  • Two men who are not in the same room are watching a basketball game and discussing their body odor (Not sure whose).

I always hate how in these commercials for VR devices, they always show the user swaying and moving around as if they feel the action. I seriously doubt someone watching a roller-coaster with one would be waving their arms in their air over their heads.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, Maverick said:

The kid with the VR helmet isn't the customer, his father is.  And I don't see anything moronic about him, anyway.

I always hate how in these commercials for VR devices, they always show the user swaying and moving around as if they feel the action. I seriously doubt someone watching a roller-coaster with one would be waving their arms in their air over their heads.

You haven't seen the ad for one of those complicated treadmill/cross training things that the guy talks about running along the beach in Greece waving to the people? I don't even think those are a VR device, I think they are more like a video screen attached to the exercise thingy. I've never used one. I have used treadmills, treadmills in front of the tv and I have never, ever, ever thought I was running anywhere but in my living room in front of the tv.

Edited to add, I have used a VR device, it was pretty primitive, about 10 years ago, it was a program to help psych staff understand what it was like to have Schizophrenia, it made me sick to my stomach and triggered a migraine. But it was fascinating.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

A filthy-looking "musician" seems way too interested in watching himself in concert to care about the party I assume he is hosting.

Wiz Khalifa.  (I admit I don't know his music since I'm older than dirt.)

A grody woman (I think) is getting off in a bathtub while watching The Shape of Water ("I may never leave my tub!").

Leslie Jones.  Grody?

Two men who are not in the same room are watching a basketball game and discussing their body odor (Not sure whose).

Adam Levine and Jonah Hill.

I wouldn't characterize any of these people as unsavory.

• Love 11
On 11/21/2018 at 8:51 PM, olivia1 said:

The opera singer on the Volvo ad hurts my ears! This does not make me want a Volvo or to sit through an opera. 

The Queen of the Night's aria from Mozart's Magic Flute hurts ears? This is what music (and opera) is all about for me.

• Love 9
52 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

The Queen of the Night's aria from Mozart's Magic Flute hurts ears? This is what music (and opera) is all about for me.

If I was a fan and geared up to hear it, I might agree. But to spring it on me in a car commercial is audio assault, at least to me. I'm sure that others might feel the same about "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" in the Peloton  commercial. Love the song, but I'm turned off by the whole Peloton thing. 

• Love 10
On 11/19/2018 at 8:57 PM, Brattinella said:

Urkel.  HERkel.

Ahhhh got it—thank you! 

23 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I know the cat is there for pest control but you'd think, at this festive time of year, Mr. Bodega guy could make an exception and take puss home for some Christmas cheer.

Considering how many pets are homeless, abused, etc in this world, a bodega cat doesn’t rank super high on my Depressing Meter. This cat is warm, dry, fed and cares for. 

16 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I go to Whole Foods many days of the week because they have quality food I want. I've never seen anyone dancing done the aisles, but I have ignored screaming children.

Sadly that’s just about every store this day it seems. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, trudysmom said:

There's Toyota commercial that is a crime against humanity.  Someone with a high-pitched voice does a horrific, slow cover of Dion's Wanderer.  Urk.  

That ad is an abomination against music.

• Love 13
4 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

My problem is that it is really electronically manipulated (reverb, autotune?). That kind of defeats the purpose of opera. 

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Wow! I'm seriously traumatized by the sight of Joe Namath in some Medicare/Medical commercial. He looks like part wax figure and part zombie. 

Haha! You and my husband - he said OMG!! Is that Joe Namath????

• Love 6
On 11/14/2018 at 11:34 AM, proserpina65 said:

The husband does say that it was struck by lightning, though.

Are there two versions?  'Cause I thought I saw one where he was sneaking in and using it.

I've only seen the one in which the husband uses the Peleton every times his wife leaves the house (pre-Christmas).

What's with the Peloton hate here?  Does it not do what it's supposed to do, poorly made, what?  I have a friend who has one and she loves it.  

I don't know why this guy bothers me so much. Probably a perfectly nice man and I apologize, but the tight shirt, the tan...only missing some gold chains lol!

looks like a guy who wont leave you alone after you've made it clear you're not interested! And ffs the song makes no sense for this ad. 

Edited by xls
  • Love 6