Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Maverick

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

As a military spouse, I wish I could like this a million times.  In regards to the ad, I think maybe she thought all that bad stuff would never happen to her, so it was a shock. Obviously she's never had the "deployment curse" visit her. That's where everything falls apart and fails two days after your spouse gets deployed for 6 months or more. ? Not that I would know anything about it, mind you. No.. Not at all. 

Thank you for your and your spouse's service. I meant absolutely no offense. I admire and am grateful to you guys. I just get cranky when some commercials hit me the wrong way.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, SoSueMe said:

Thank you for your and your spouse's service. I meant absolutely no offense. I admire and am grateful to you guys. I just get cranky when some commercials hit me the wrong way.

Thank you. No offense taken at all.  I hate that commercial too. I get the same way. My husband will sometimes remind me it's only a commercial when I get riled up about one. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

But also her husband is in the military and this is what rocked her world? He's never told her the crap he's seen?

My father was "in the service" and hardly said anything more than that. I expect a lot of veterans would prefer to put the crap they've seen behind them, or at least not view it as stories to be telling.

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

My father was "in the service" and hardly said anything more than that. I expect a lot of veterans would prefer to put the crap they've seen behind them, or at least not view it as stories to be telling.

This is true for me, as well.  Most of the men in my family were/are Military, and some went through well-known and publicized hell.  I wouldn't dream of questioning some of them, curious as I might be.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

The Ozempic ad, or however you spell it, makes me extremely stabby.  Every time I hear it, I will always yell out, "I HATE THAT FLIPPIN' COMMERCIAL!!!"  Seriously, I wish I could force all the people who were involved with bringing that monstrosity to life to be locked in a room for twelve hours with that ad played on repeat.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Moose135 said:

It's not important to me, but I think it's a nice little touch, a bit of respect for my service, even though I've been out of the Air Force for 30 years.  Damn, has it been that long? Now I feel old!

Tell me about it.  :(

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Don't forget the one with David Groh ("Rhoda"'s husband), who was getting milked like a cow, but it turns out his milk is sour because he was eating sour Skittles.

Oh dear God in Heaven . . . why???????????? (And yes, I'm old enough to remember Joe, Rhoda's husband. Had no idea that was David Groh.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

My father was "in the service" and hardly said anything more than that. I expect a lot of veterans would prefer to put the crap they've seen behind them, or at least not view it as stories to be telling.

I've heard similar things, yeah. I wouldn't blame them for being reticent to share.

(That's why I tend to be kinda wary of the people who do go around bragging and trying to make themselves out to be big badass action heroes and whatnot when telling their military stories. Those guys seem to be more interested in the glory and attention than the service and honor. Either that, or those are the people who you later find out are lying about having been in the military at all.) 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Oh dear God in Heaven . . . why???????????? (And yes, I'm old enough to remember Joe, Rhoda's husband. Had no idea that was David Groh.

We got our first portable television because my mom and I wanted to watch Rhoda's wedding. We weren't going to get to because of Monday Night Football, which was sacred to my dad at the time. She went out and bought it and we put it in the kitchen. I remember being amazed that my mom could just go out and buy a tv without even talking to my dad about it. Of course she owned her own business and could do what she wanted.

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

My father was "in the service" and hardly said anything more than that. I expect a lot of veterans would prefer to put the crap they've seen behind them, or at least not view it as stories to be telling.

Oh, yes very common. My father was in the Army and went to Vietnam its taken a long time for him to open up about his time there he finally did which has helped with his PTSD. But before that he did talk about the typhoon season and then after Vietnam did search and research which made me think her husband might talk about the weather and other things where ever he's stationed or deployed. She'd still know things and hear things from other servicemen and women. Military spouses are so strong and tough dealing with constant deployments and worrying about their spouses, hearing things from other servicemen and women, from other military spouses, seeing the injured returning, PTSD, moving a lot, being the sole parent, and so much more. They go through a lot. Its surprising to hear from one in a commercial so shocked and rocked by a water leak. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I really can't stand Giada De Laurentiis and there's a commercial for some Thanksgiving cooking competition show that's been on the air since the summer, I swear, that shows her wishing the competitors "Happy Thanksgiving!" She sounds so phony when she says it. I just want to smack her in that bear-trap mouth of hers.

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I really can't stand Giada De Laurentiis and there's a commercial for some Thanksgiving cooking competition show that's been on the air since the summer, I swear, that shows her wishing the competitors "Happy Thanksgiving!" She sounds so phony when she says it. I just want to smack her in that bear-trap mouth of hers.

Why does she always wear a top with a plunging neckline and a Wonderbra?  I can't stand her!!  She grins like a hyena.  Food Network always shows "amateur" female cooks with similar outfits and the camera zooms in on their cleavage when they're leaning over to pipe their dessert, etc.  The worst offense, though, is that no one seems to tie up or tie back their long hair on their shows.  Well, I am officially riled up now. 

thS84BMNVV.jpg

Edited by Ilovecomputers
  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

Why does she always wear a top with a plunging neckline and a Wonderbra?  I can't stand her!!  She grins like a hyena.  Food Network always shows "amateur" female cooks with similar outfits and the camera zooms in on their cleavage when they're leaning over to pipe their dessert, etc.  The worst offense, though, is that no one seems to tie up or tie back their long hair on their shows.  Well, I am officially riled up now. 

thS84BMNVV.jpg

Can you say Ree Drummond? I bet people find bright red clown hair in her dishes all the time.

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

Farxiga. It's a drug for I don't know what but it supposedly causes "flesh eating genital disease".   Class action lawsuit attorneys are ready to rumble.

Edited by chenoa333 · Reason: Smokin' hot Jamaican
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Farixa. It's a drug for I don't know what but it supposedly causes "flesh eating genital disease".   Class action lawsuit attorneys are ready to rumble.

That drug is Jardiance, advertized by a peppy-voiced lady.  It is for diabetes, and this new side effect is causing girls between 15-25 to have their genitals rot off.  Do yourself a favor and DON'T do an image search.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

That drug is Jardiance, advertized by a peppy-voiced lady.  It is for diabetes, and this new side effect is causing girls between 15-25 to have their genitals rot off.  Do yourself a favor and DON'T do an image search.

Sorry Brattinella....I must go look!

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I really can't stand Giada De Laurentiis and there's a commercial for some Thanksgiving cooking competition show that's been on the air since the summer, I swear, that shows her wishing the competitors "Happy Thanksgiving!" She sounds so phony when she says it. I just want to smack her in that bear-trap mouth of hers.

I've been on the Giada hate train for a very long time. I'm going to say Giada eats and participates in Thanksgiving dinners but spends most of her time in the bathroom puking and waiting for the laxatives to take effect.  Or possibly the latest fad: put the food in your mouth, chew it, savor the flavor but spit it out so it's all calorie free. Yum! Right? 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, chenoa333 said:

I've been on the Giada hate train for a very long time. I'm going to say Giada eats and participates in Thanksgiving dinners but spends most of her time in the bathroom puking and waiting for the laxatives to take effect.  Or possibly the latest fad: put the food in your mouth, chew it, savor the flavor but spit it out so it's all calorie free. Yum! Right? 

Rumor has it she keeps a spit bucket behind the counter and after she tastes a recipe she spits it out into the spit bucket. How lovely for her crew.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Rumor has it she keeps a spit bucket behind the counter and after she tastes a recipe she spits it out into the spit bucket. How lovely for her crew.

I think there's actually an eating disorder named specifically for the "eat/chew/spit" habit but I don't know or care. And I've heard that Giada does the "spit bucket" thing. Gross

CoffeMate commercial : ROCK PAPER SCISSORS. It's back and it's one of my most hated commercials. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

Time fot me to jump back on the Giada Bugs the Hell Out of Me Train.

When she waves those little sleeveless stick arms around and clacks those T Rex teeth I just have to look away.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Time fot me to jump back on the Giada Bugs the Hell Out of Me Train.

When she waves those little sleeveless stick arms around and clacks those T Rex teeth I just have to look away.

That is the best description of her I've ever seen!  LOL!

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Taltz.  The ad says "If you're allergic to it, don't take Taltz."

I know they have to post disclaimers, but that's like saying, "If you don't know how to swim, don't jump in a deep lake," or, "If you hate bananas, don't eat a banana."

Edited by Brookside
  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Taltz.  The ad says "If you're allergic to it, don't take Taltz."

I know they have to post disclaimers, but that's like saying, "If you don't know how to swim, don't jump in a deep lake," or, "If you hate bananas, don't eat a banana."

And, at least you know that you care unable to swim or that you dislike bananas. I always raise an eyebrow when they say, "Don't take it if you are allergic to [it]," or "if you're allergic to any of the ingredients in it." How the HELL do you know if you are allergic if you've never taken it?

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Farxiga. It's a drug for I don't know what but it supposedly causes "flesh eating genital disease".   Class action lawsuit attorneys are ready to rumble.

Farxiga is also for Diabates.  It's very similar to Invokana.  I have taken both (currently on Farxiga).  The bad side effect with it is yeast infections.

2 hours ago, Brookside said:

Taltz.  The ad says "If you're allergic to it, don't take Taltz."

I know they have to post disclaimers, but that's like saying, "If you don't know how to swim, don't jump in a deep lake," or, "If you hate bananas, don't eat a banana."

That grates me - especially on brand new drugs.  How would you know?  Even if it's not a new drug, if you've never been on it...…..

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, funky-rat said:

That grates me - especially on brand new drugs.  How would you know?  Even if it's not a new drug, if you've never been on it...…..

You may have tried something else that's related. A doctor should know what that is (or pull out their Physicians' Desk Reference to find out). One ad is helpful enough to mention sulfonamides.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

...cause we all know they're so forthcoming with the secret ingredients.

I'd trust drugs from a street thug before I'd trust drugs from a pharmaceutical company.

I know some of these drugs are a big help to people who have various health issues. But until and unless I need something from a pharmaceutical company....I'm steering clear of them. Genital flesh eating disease sounds very scary!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, funky-rat said:

Farxiga is also for Diabates.  It's very similar to Invokana.  I have taken both (currently on Farxiga).  The bad side effect with it is yeast infections.

Are there any older, out-of-patent, cheaper drugs that would work?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Are there any older, out-of-patent, cheaper drugs that would work?

Nope.  I take three non-generic drugs for diabetes.  My husband once had good health insurance, but he lost his job, and we're on my crappy insurance.  No prescription coverage unless I hit a ridiculously high deductible.  So for the last year and this coming year, I'm getting the non-generics free through patient assistance, Astra Zeneca (who makes 2 of the drugs I'm on) said they won't cover me next year.  It took 2 months of fighting to get them to cover me this year (last year was much easier).  The only good thing is that they sent me several shipments of the wrong medication and until they sorted it out, my husband had enough to cover him for a year, and I don't have to re-enroll him.  I don't qualify for any patient assistance on any of the equivalent drugs from any other manufacturer (ie: Invokana, Trulicity, etc).  The only one that is super easy to work with is Merck. Their income limit is realistic.  It's not for the other ones.

The Janumet from Merck (we both take it) is like $500/month.  The Fafxiga (just me) is $600/month.  The Bydureon (both of us) is $1500 per month.  I need the auto injector because the regular pen gives me skin issues for some reason.  They kept shipping me the regular pen, so my husband is covered for a year now with their mistakes.

He gets insurance at his new job next month.  I can't go on his because both his employer and mine have a rule that if your spouse's job offers it, they have to take their own.

Edited by funky-rat · Reason: Continuity
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, configdotsys said:

And, at least you know that you care unable to swim or that you dislike bananas. I always raise an eyebrow when they say, "Don't take it if you are allergic to [it]," or "if you're allergic to any of the ingredients in it." How the HELL do you know if you are allergic if you've never taken it?

My mom always says the same thing during those commercials. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:25 PM, peacheslatour said:

Rumor has it she keeps a spit bucket behind the counter and after she tastes a recipe she spits it out into the spit bucket. How lovely for her crew.

I think that's standard procedure. I know that's what they do in food commercials in which someone eats or drinks something.

 

Speaking of food, there's a new Whole Foods that rubs me the wrong way which features a couple conspiring to smuggle a "backup Thanksgiving meal" into wherever they are going, presumably without the host's knowledge.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Ubiquitous said:

I think that's standard procedure. I know that's what they do in food commercials in which someone eats or drinks something.

Not always, the classic Mean Joe Greene Coke ad being the most well known. He's said to have gone through 18 bottles before they finished shooting. They should make it real more often; most of the people in those kind of ads are terrible at pretending to eat or drink.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I was watching Giada this afternoon (don't judge, she has some good recipes), and she took 2 bites of a dish and clearly swallowed. I've read she exercises something like 4-5 hours a day.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

Speaking of food, there's a new Whole Foods that rubs me the wrong way which features a couple conspiring to smuggle a "backup Thanksgiving meal" into wherever they are going, presumably without the host's knowledge.

I feel like if they don't want what the hosts are cooking they just shouldn't go.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

My sister and I were just talking about the "be careful what you wish for" curse with commercials. She complained about Danny Trejo's ads for Sling and then we were subjected to the horror that is The Slingers.

Years ago, we hated the Haverty's couple. Now, we must endure their Hashtag Woman.

We rolled our eyes at Judy Greer's Hilton bartender commercial. I'd watch 24 straight hours of that if it meant I never had to see another one with Anna Kendrick "acting" and spitting her gum on the floor.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, janie jones said:

I feel like if they don't want what the hosts are cooking they just shouldn't go.

Or if you like the people but not their cooking just eat the meal because that is the polite thing to do.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, janie jones said:

I feel like if they don't want what the hosts are cooking they just shouldn't go.

Yeah, I agree in the real world. But the commercial is 'commercial world' and I think it is hilarious, especially how the actors play off each other.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, funky-rat said:

Nope.  I take three non-generic drugs for diabetes.  My husband once had good health insurance, but he lost his job, and we're on my crappy insurance.  No prescription coverage unless I hit a ridiculously high deductible.  So for the last year and this coming year, I'm getting the non-generics free through patient assistance, Astra Zeneca (who makes 2 of the drugs I'm on) said they won't cover me next year.  It took 2 months of fighting to get them to cover me this year (last year was much easier).  The only good thing is that they sent me several shipments of the wrong medication and until they sorted it out, my husband had enough to cover him for a year, and I don't have to re-enroll him.  I don't qualify for any patient assistance on any of the equivalent drugs from any other manufacturer (ie: Invokana, Trulicity, etc).  The only one that is super easy to work with is Merck. Their income limit is realistic.  It's not for the other ones.

The Janumet from Merck (we both take it) is like $500/month.  The Fafxiga (just me) is $600/month.  The Bydureon (both of us) is $1500 per month.  I need the auto injector because the regular pen gives me skin issues for some reason.  They kept shipping me the regular pen, so my husband is covered for a year now with their mistakes.

He gets insurance at his new job next month.  I can't go on his because both his employer and mine have a rule that if your spouse's job offers it, they have to take their own.

Holy fuck! Those prices are insane! It's Pharmaceutical Rape! I'm so sorry you and your hubby are having to deal with health problems and unaffordable medication?

 I hope things get better.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Ray Liotta does not enrage me but he does annoy me as I have to listen to him talk about quitting smoking a hundred times a day.  

I really don't mind him except that he never looks at the camera.  He is always sneakily side-eyeing it. :)  Chantix is a miracle product, though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

I really don't mind him except that he never looks at the camera.  He is always sneakily side-eyeing it. :)  Chantix is a miracle product, though.

Yes - I have heard that too about Chantix.  I am really glad for Ray - I really am!!!  I am just kinda tired of him, lol.  I have known people who have kicked heroin but nicotine?  No luck.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

I really don't mind him except that he never looks at the camera.  He is always sneakily side-eyeing it. :)  Chantix is a miracle product, though.

Made me suicidal, unfortunately.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I really don't mind him except that he never looks at the camera.  He is always sneakily side-eyeing it. :)  Chantix is a miracle product, though.

He sounds like he's been punched in the head one too many times.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×