Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Woopwoopkitty said:

Nothing more offensive than the Golden Corral commercial teaching an Anglo woman how to roll her r’s

You could have just stopped there. Not sure why teaching the rolling of r's is offensive to anyone though. I grew up in the UK & some people there (especially in Wales) rolled their r's, I never could & still can't. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
On 6/10/2024 at 9:40 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Ew ew ew. There’s an eharmony “get who gets you” ad running now where one partner is happy to pop the other’s pimple. Was this already posted here? If so my brain must have bleached it out already. 

Yes! Came here because I just saw it... so disgusting! Thank you for bringing it up so I didn't have to. We need a throwing up emoji here.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Woopwoopkitty said:

Nothing more offensive than the Golden Corral commercial teaching an Anglo woman how to roll her r’s

Well, there definitely is. But yeah, that seemed rude. I assume we're supposed to assume that they all know each other and it's good natured. But in that case, wouldn't they already know that she can't roll her Rs?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

But in that case, wouldn't they already know that she can't roll her Rs?

I mean, my mom, whose first language, which I do not speak, contains rolled Rs, was shocked to learn I couldn't do it. So I can buy someone's friend not knowing whether they can do it.

• Like 4
19 hours ago, Woopwoopkitty said:

Latino where I work makes fun of me because i called Mexican actor Cantinflas "Can-tin-flas" and not "Can-teen-flas". Hey, I'm just proud I know who he is.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1
22 hours ago, Shrek said:

You could have just stopped there. Not sure why teaching the rolling of r's is offensive to anyone though. I grew up in the UK & some people there (especially in Wales) rolled their r's, I never could & still can't. 

I don't know about offensive, but it is rude as hell to keep harping on it.

• Like 7
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1

I loathe the Geico commercial which is playing incessantly during the UEFA Euro Championships (soccer/football) where two fans sitting two seats apart keep radioing in suggestions/comments to the referee who somehow obeys all of them.  I know it's supposed to be funny but I just think it is inane and stupid and not funny at all.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, blackwing said:

I loathe the Geico commercial which is playing incessantly during the UEFA Euro Championships (soccer/football) where two fans sitting two seats apart keep radioing in suggestions/comments to the referee who somehow obeys all of them.  I know it's supposed to be funny but I just think it is inane and stupid and not funny at all.

The original version, with the players at the end going "So are we all offside?", was amusing at first but I've seen it way too many times now.

On 6/30/2024 at 3:17 PM, Shrek said:

But see, thats the problem.  Many people cannot trill, or roll, r’s.  But basically harassing her to say “carne” over and over, is just plain wrong.   I’ve seen that commercial many times and it makes me angrier every time.  No one has the right to force someone to correctly pronounce words, especially if that person has one of many speech impediments that cannot be corrected, no matter how  much a couple of obnoxious teens want her to say words their way.  While I know the girl in the commercial was finally able to roll the r, a lot of people really cannot. 

• Like 10
3 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

But see, thats the problem.  Many people cannot trill, or roll, r’s.  But basically harassing her to say “carne” over and over, is just plain wrong.   I’ve seen that commercial many times and it makes me angrier every time.  No one has the right to force someone to correctly pronounce words, especially if that person has one of many speech impediments that cannot be corrected, no matter how  much a couple of obnoxious teens want her to say words their way.  While I know the girl in the commercial was finally able to roll the r, a lot of people really cannot. 

I am one of those people who cannot & believe me I've tried. But yes they are obnoxious teens but offensive was a bit much. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

While I know the girl in the commercial was finally able to roll the r, a lot of people really cannot.

Wow, I hope those people aren't born & raised in a Spanish-speaking land.

• Like 1
On 6/30/2024 at 2:04 PM, Woopwoopkitty said:

I cringe so hard every time it airs -- "oooh, you're so ETHNIC!" 🙄🙄🙄

• Like 5
On 6/30/2024 at 2:04 PM, Woopwoopkitty said:

I find it annoying as hell, too. 

7 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Dog help me, I just caught myself bopping my head to a Jardience ad. Is there a helpline I can call?

I am sure an ambulance-chaser will be getting in touch with you eventually.

• LOL 8
6 hours ago, Palimelon said:

It's like one of the movies where a Black person finally teaches a White person what rhythm is.

Is that even possible?

• LOL 5
(edited)

Steve Martin in The Jerk.  "I was born a poor Black child..."

Although, arguably, his family didn't teach him what rhythm was, he discovered it with a different kind of music.

Edited by Browncoat
  • LOL 2
(edited)

I agree with the posts about how rude the r-rolling thing is. That said, imagine how people for whom English is a second language must feel when certain kinds of other people* complain about their accents or, ugh, post angry memes about having to press 1 for English.

*Ironically, usually people who can barely manage one language.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 12
  • Applause 1

Local ads urging drivers to be more careful when passing workers on the roads wearing orange vests, delivered by little kids fearful of injury to their parents & other loved ones on the job.  I don't object to the earnest lectures about safe driving but I cannot stand high-pitched children's voices with cutesy speech defects:  "MY GG'S AT WOOOK!"  

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, fairffaxx said:

Local ads urging drivers to be more careful when passing workers on the roads wearing orange vests, delivered by little kids fearful of injury to their parents & other loved ones on the job.  I don't object to the earnest lectures about safe driving but I cannot stand high-pitched children's voices with cutesy speech defects:  "MY GG'S AT WOOOK!"  

After the accident which two idiots going 121 miles an hour while they did some race darting in and out of traffic on 695 last year where they caused an accident that killed 6 road workers the state took measures to lessen the risk to workers, 55 MPH, monitored by speed cameras and fines doubled for speeding thru work areas, maybe it will annoy someone who drives like they are in that Tokyo Drift movie to stop driving like that.

At the time, kids in commercials with cutesy speech defects really do suck.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

The "rolling the R's" commercial is annoying as hell, but most commercials are. I just assume they are all friends; I'm not going to get mad on her account, she wouldn't be eating with them if she didn't like them.

I used to work with a Mexican production plant, and I traveled there 2-3 times a year. Most of the people I worked with spoke excellent English, but I learned enough Spanish where I could ask directions, order in a restaurant, go shopping. And I could never roll my R's until I had a couple beers in me. One older guy was trying to console me - he told me "you have what we call a speech impediment."  😆

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

I've seen it complained about here, but hadn't actually seen the Kristen Wiig commercial for Target, where she's some crazy-ass employee with a weird accent who confuses everyone by announcing it's circle week.  And now, OMG, I have seen it a dozen times because Hulu has decided to show it to me at every frakkin' ad break.  I looked it up, and apparently the Target Lady is a character she played on SNL.  I hope it was funny there, because it sure as hell isn't in this infernal commercial.  I'm going to sprain a finger if I have to keep frantically hitting the Mute button.

• Like 6
(edited)

The Colonial Penn ad where the lady yells "P.P.P."  What on reason on earth is for her to scream?  She just makes herself sound like an idiot.

Speaking of screaming - in the Club Crackers commercial this woman is the most obnoxious screamer out there.

image.thumb.png.ee409ca4ac19858e973b8750353eeeca.png

Edited by Ancaster
Missing word
  • Like 3
  • Applause 8
(edited)

I hate the Golden Corral commercial because it drives me crazy when someone has to always correct the person they're with if they mispronounce a word.

If this was a a group eating in a Mexican restaurant in Mexico it would be acceptable to me. 

Edited by tres bien
  • Like 5

I just saw a commercial for some stupidly named housecleaning service. The woman on it says, “After Homeaglow cleaned our house for $19, we fired our old housekeeper.” Yikes. But then, the screen clearly says that $19 is only for the first cleaning, so joke’s probably on her smug, mercenary ass.

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 8
15 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I just saw a commercial for some stupidly named housecleaning service. The woman on it says, “After Homeaglow cleaned our house for $19, we fired our old housekeeper.” Yikes. But then, the screen clearly says that $19 is only for the first cleaning, so joke’s probably on her smug, mercenary ass.

I looked into Homeaglow out of curiosity, and in addition to $19 being only for the first cleaning, it didn't seem that washing windows and laundry is included and costs extra. That's not what the commercial says. I found some not so good reviews about the cleaners and the people who have cleaned for them. Lots of complaints about Customer Service, mostly that there is none.

• Like 5
  • Useful 6

I always thought Flo was the boss but in that one commerical apparently she's not. I like that Mara's surprised. She assumed that too. Another commercial says she's not the boss but she's boss like. So she's that employee acts like a boss when she's not? That explains so much. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
(edited)
12 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

What the F is a GG?!

GG is what my granddaughter calls my MIL, mainly because she's so vain that she doesn't want to be called great grandmother. Yeah I know.....................

In case you were wondering she calls me "her grumpy" (she's 2) which is quite accurate for everyone but her.

Edited by Shrek
  • LOL 10

I worked with a woman who became a grandma before she was 40, so it wouldn't be impossible for a great grandma to be a highway maintenance worker. 

• Like 3

I worked with a woman who became a grandma before she was 40, so it wouldn't be impossible for a great grandma to be a highway maintenance worker. 

Almost anything is possible, anecdotally.

• Like 6

The commercial for Shapermint bras doesn't bother me that much but I think there is some sort of subliminal suggestion going on. For about a week now I have been hearing this random "knock, knock,knock, knock". At first I thought it was a bird pecking at my roof by the porch. It happened often enough that I went out to look to see if I could see where it was pecking. 

Then just yesterday, I heard it again and happened to look up and there was the knocking at the very end of the Shapermint commercial.  I though, just a coincidence, but then I paid attention the next time the commercial came on and there it was again, and again the next time. Got me thinking, I am pretty good at tuning out commercials so hadn't even thought about it being the commercial until I figured out it was coming from the TV. All the extra concentrating on the ad to make sure, had me looking at that commercial way more than I needed/wanted to!!

Did they do this to make us look up? It might make someone think someone was at the door but they get the tail end of the commercial in that glance. I went to birds pecking, as I don't often enough have visitors that would knock.

Now I barely hear the knocking, knowing where it is coming from and pay zero attention to the commercial, in fact it annoys me now that I paid that much attention to it at all!

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
On 7/5/2024 at 3:08 PM, Bastet said:

I've seen it complained about here, but hadn't actually seen the Kristen Wiig commercial for Target, where she's some crazy-ass employee with a weird accent who confuses everyone by announcing it's circle week.  And now, OMG, I have seen it a dozen times because Hulu has decided to show it to me at every frakkin' ad break. 

Wait, wasn't that event several months ago? 

11 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I always thought Flo was the boss but in that one commerical apparently she's not. I like that Mara's surprised. She assumed that too. Another commercial says she's not the boss but she's boss like. So she's that employee acts like a boss when she's not? That explains so much. 

I thought Flo was just bossy.

• LOL 3
23 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

Wait, wasn't that event several months ago? 

According to the commercial, it starts tomorrow.  They've probably had previous circle weeks -- like Macy's perpetually hawking a one-day sale -- and I was just thankfully spared ever seeing the commercial for it.

• Like 4

I've seen it complained about here, but hadn't actually seen the Kristen Wiig commercial for Target, where she's some crazy-ass employee with a weird accent who confuses everyone by announcing it's circle week.  And now, OMG, I have seen it a dozen times because Hulu has decided to show it to me at every frakkin' ad break.  I looked it up, and apparently the Target Lady is a character she played on SNL.  I hope it was funny there, because it sure as hell isn't in this infernal commercial.  I'm going to sprain a finger if I have to keep frantically hitting the Mute button.

No, it wasn't funny on SNL, either...I loathe all of Kriisten Wiig's characters and this one is one of the worst.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

I have been seeing an updated commercial for Lyme and it appears to me that Dr. Shannon (?) has showered and styled her hair more attractively. So that's a surprise. I still hate the commercial and product but it seems they're trying to make the shiller less cringe-worthy. 

• Like 7
(edited)

I also noticed that in every ad Dr Lume or another spokeswoman says I'm embarrassed to say.....

I feel angry at Dr Lume because I feel as though she's promoting low self esteem 

I'm beginning to think some some of this requires consulting other types of doctors or therapy perhaps 

Edited by tres bien
  • Like 12

I just realized I've seen it many times, but never connected it with this comment.  I have completely tuned it out, it's so annoying -- I don't even notice it until it's almost over.  It's a horrible ad, and doesn't make me want to shop at Target.  I don't even know what circle week is meant to be.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I just realized I've seen it many times, but never connected it with this comment.  I have completely tuned it out, it's so annoying -- I don't even notice it until it's almost over.  It's a horrible ad, and doesn't make me want to shop at Target.  I don't even know what circle week is meant to be.

I assumed they're trying to rip off that thing Amazon does.

• Like 5

I looked into Homeaglow out of curiosity, and in addition to $19 being only for the first cleaning, it didn't seem that washing windows and laundry is included and costs extra.

This is odd, since the TV ad specifically states they do laundry and windows. Kind of weaselly if they charge extra for it. I assume the small print on the $19 first cleaning is that you have to commit to several more cleanings at the regular price of something like $50?

• Like 5
15 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

I looked into Homeaglow out of curiosity, and in addition to $19 being only for the first cleaning, it didn't seem that washing windows and laundry is included and costs extra.

This is odd, since the TV ad specifically states they do laundry and windows. Kind of weaselly if they charge extra for it. I assume the small print on the $19 first cleaning is that you have to commit to several more cleanings at the regular price of something like $50?

Hmm, it’s been ages since I’ve had regular cleaning, but even back then, $50/cleaning would be a steal for the basic vacuuming/mopping/dusting/bathroom cleaning that most services offered. I would never have expected them to do my laundry or clean the windows as part of that, except maybe pet nose smudges on the storm door. I haven’t seen that ad, though. Are they saying those things are included in their regular cleaning, or just that they’re services that are also available? 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1