Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

Has anyone seen the add about the children with cleft lips where some kids are singing This Little Light Of Mine in the background?  The shots of the children turn my stomach and it's so exploitive! I feel bad for them but...... and it goes on forever like the animal cruelty adds. Remember the commercial for children who had to get muddy water to drink and they would stand in a doorway with a tear running down their face or flies on them and it would go on forever. I haven't seen that one in a long time but I'm not complaining!

I hate drug commercials too; they are so long I'm surprised they don't have to break for a commercial.

Anybody seen the add for Trumpy Bear???

Edited by little hermit
to add content
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The latest Chevy "real people" commercials have them sitting at a table out on a freeway, talking about how it sucks to be stranded

I really wish I would have been there when they taped that, so I could run my car over those people  and maybe end it all

What is surprising is everyone seems to HATE those commercials, where somehow they turn "real people" into something that seems more fake than if they just used actors, but THEY KEEP RUNNING THEM AND MAKING NEW ONES.  Who on earth is giving them the feedback that these commercials work and should continue?

I am 100% convinced that they are 'real people' because well actors ARE real people. So they have actors coming into not play a character but more like versions of themselves. So technically they are not actors playing another character so they can say they are "real people".

And I think they know they it comes across as weird and that's intentional. I mean we are talking about it for better or worse.  It's the idea of just having the name Chevy out there with brand recognition whether it's positive or negative. Or at least that's how it seems to me. 

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2

OMG, would these people who are supposedly real-life Chevrolet employees stop saying shuvy?  Aaaaaagggggghhhhhh!!!!!

It bugs me as much as the Northern California ads for Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E), where the PG&E employees say they work at "peejunee".

• Love 3
20 hours ago, DeaconBlues said:

These Jennifer Garner "what's in your wallet?" commercials are in heavy rotation now and are really annoying.  Get outta my face, lady!

She is in a new one where she is whispering to the librarian and I seriously want to hit her with a book.  

“Dad-uh!  Will you take me to Jessica’s?  Ugh!”

No.  Find your own way until you can speak like you haven’t dropped in from the Valley in 1984. 

(Full disclosure - I still talk like that.  But I'm also a hypocrite when it comes to annoying children in ads.)

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, frenchtoast said:

A reminder: no political ads, it bumps into the no political discussion. Thank you.

Sorry, I don't see any political ads.  Am I missing something?

• Love 3

Northwest Mutual has launched commercials about parents living it up with their kids now rather than working and planning to later. I get the sentiment, but holy smokes in one of the commercials the dad is mowing the yard in unbearable heat and his teen daughter in THE most annoying, entitled voice ever is yelling at him to take her to a friend she house. And then she has the temerity to rolls her eyes ata him because he's not dropping everything for her. We're supposed to like that he decides to install a pool so that he and the wife and the kids can enjoy time together but I was so appalled at their daughter that I couldn't be happy for them. She had such an ugly attitude.

• Love 5

I hate the GEICO ad with Randy Jackson and his constant repetition of the word "dog"/"dawg." I know that was his thing during "American Idol," but it's annoying. 

I hate the cell phone commercial with the couple stopped by the police, mostly for the way the wife says your network sucks. Presumably, they have the same network. Either way, she's a bitch about it.

• Love 10

I was just going to comment on that Metro PCS commercial with the griping wife, too. "Go slowly, like your network" Hate the attitude and tone.

Plus, you just got pulled over for speeding and I'm supposed to feel sorry for you because your internet connection is too slow.  No, slow down and drive the speed limit so I don't have to worry about you crashing into me while you're checking your phone to see if there are cops around. 

Your commercial is a fail all around.

• Love 13

About the Chevy ads, I can't say that I've watched too closely (usually I'm busy with Spider solitaire during commercials) but all the "real" people are too attractive to be just real people.  They never have anyone older or overweight... you know, real people.  Obviously they are selected to look pretty next to the cars/trucks.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I hate the GEICO ad with Randy Jackson and his constant repetition of the word "dog"/"dawg." I know that was his thing during "American Idol," but it's annoying. 

I hate the cell phone commercial with the couple stopped by the police, mostly for the way the wife says your network sucks. Presumably, they have the same network. Either way, she's a bitch about it.

I've never seen this commercial, so I'm not disagreeing that it's ridiculous, but I can think of two reasons a married couple would have two different networks.  1. One of them has an employer who pays for their cell phone plan. 2. One of them is still under contract with another carrier and they will switch when that's up.  (Or they're not even married?  Is it certain they're even married?)

1 hour ago, Haleth said:

About the Chevy ads, I can't say that I've watched too closely (usually I'm busy with Spider solitaire during commercials) but all the "real" people are too attractive to be just real people.  They never have anyone older or overweight... you know, real people.  Obviously they are selected to look pretty next to the cars/trucks.

Ya know who uses real people? That stupid Plexaderm ad. They show these people that look like 40 miles of bad road, put that crap under their eyes, and now they look like only 30 miles of bad road. What's the point of reducing the bags under your eyes when you've still got crappy skin & icky hair, etc.?

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Ya know who uses real people? That stupid Plexaderm ad. They show these people that look like 40 miles of bad road, put that crap under their eyes, and now they look like only 30 miles of bad road. What's the point of reducing the bags under your eyes when you've still got crappy skin & icky hair, etc.?

There's one guy, I can't remember exactly what he says, but I think he says something about looking so much younger, like he looked in college.  Uh, no.  You don't.  

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

There's one guy, I can't remember exactly what he says, but I think he says something about looking so much younger, like he looked in college.  Uh, no.  You don't.

Maybe he's like Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School, and didn't go to college until late in life; not everyone goes right after high school (if at all).

• Love 3
20 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I feel so bad for those dogs, especially the Welsh terrier whose tail droops  Shut up, Randy, they're all beautiful.

GEICO can be so hit or miss with their ads. For every time they're clever, they ruin their record by trying to be too "clever".

• Love 7
2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Yeah, I watch a lot of horror movies, and that looked like one. WTF.

I know people with Parkinson's and my mother suffered dementia by the end of her life. Sure there is truth to what they are saying but not everyone with Parkinson's has  dementia or delusions. Truly that ad is terrorizing people faced with Parkinson's. Seriously, fuck them for that ad. It's awful and cruel. 

• Love 10
11 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Dear Marie Osmond,

Please get your lowfat or nonfat ass off of my TV as a belated New Year's gift.

Thanks!

Does anybody think it looks like she had a boob job? When the commercial runs, where she's wearing that black dress with gold studs, fabric, or whatever it is, comes on that thought just automatically runs through my mind. I hate these commercials and what's worse is that this time of year they will run like a 5 minute commercial!

• Love 9

She's a little bit country, she's a little bit silicone.

The Turbo Tax commercials are worse than ever this year. One has a woman in a closet being tormented by a tiny teddy bear, the other has some sort of bear/gorilla hybrid wrecking a camp site while wearing a hockey mask.

• Love 11

Why does the young woman in the Poshmark ad (about how easy & profitable it is to sell the used clothes in your closet) talk in a gushy baby voice?  It doesn't exactly inspire confidence in her judgment about business opportunities. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, little hermit said:

Does anybody think it looks like she had a boob job? When the commercial runs, where she's wearing that black dress with gold studs, fabric, or whatever it is, comes on that thought just automatically runs through my mind. I hate these commercials and what's worse is that this time of year they will run like a 5 minute commercial!

Possibly, but I'm thinking full-body Spanx.

• Love 8

Speaking of "awful and cruel" ads, the one for that home healthcare company, Brightstar I think it's called, makes me want to scream and throw things at the TV. It's narrated by a woman whose mother is sliding into dementia and they choose Brightstar "because Dad made us promise to keep Mom at home."

Yeah? Well FUCK YOU, "DAD." And fuck you, Brightstar, for playing on the guilt and agony of families who are facing really difficult decisions about what is safest and best for their elderly parents. News flash: That's a huge fucking house that old lady is living in, and as someone whose father is suffering mid-stage dementia right now, I can tell you that that huge fucking house with all of its hazards - stairs, ovens, electrical outlets, appliances, slippery floors - is probably the most UNSAFE place for that old lady to be, with or without a home health aid.

Moving an ailing parent to an environment that is safe, well-appointed, and appropriate for their condition (where they can get round the clock care and physical and cognitive therapy) is hardly akin to shoving them off on an ice float into the Arctic Sea.

So.Much.WORD! I posted about this very commercial not too long ago and I agree with everything you said here. Also, Mom's home seems to be located on a lake. What happens if Mom wanders away from the house one night and ends up drowning? And for some reason I have an irrational hatred for the RN who strides up to the house in a white lab coat, stethoscope around her neck like she's going trick-or-treating as a character from "Grey's Anatomy."

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Tunia said:

Possibly, but I'm thinking full-body Spanx.

My immediate response was Spanx.  I think Sofia Vergara has some of that going on in her latest coffee commercial, too.  She looks rather "square-ish" in the boobal area.

• Love 4

There's a JC Penney commercial (though I guess the store is now just JCP)  that starts with a model with a handful of big confetti glitter that she blows on, so it goes right into the camera.   It always makes me flinch, and have that momentary fear that it's going into my eyes.  

• Love 1
On 1/4/2018 at 10:05 AM, Blergh said:

If Miss Osmond just took off her wig, she could lose even more weight!

O crazyy-ass Olive Marie. She's been rockin' the big wig forever but the Marie of yesteryear bears little resemblance to the oddity with the cackling laugh of today. Teeth, nose, boobs, body, and mental status -- my guess is they've all been altered. Here's a stroll down memory lane for those of you who remember the '80s: 

• Love 2
On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:43 PM, SmithW6079 said:

It was funny to me the first couple of times I saw it but constant repetition has worn out its welcome.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

Yikes.  I have been known to give my kids a candy cane once in awhile, around Christmas.  This is a tough group!!

Nothing wrong with giving a kid a candy cane in general. But when they're acting like a hellion, giving them one to shut them up, that's another thing. 

• Love 8

I came here to complain about that Ronaldo commercial!  Why does that chambermaid still have a job when she took a picture of a guest locked out of his room in his underwear and then posted it online for everybody to see!! 

• Love 8

Another EHarmony ad that is annoying the crap out of me. In this one, the fool says, "I wasn't finding the quality of girls I was looking for through my friends. If he wasn't finding the quality of girls he was looking for, methinks maybe he needs to upgrade the quality of his friends.

• Love 19

Those car ads (I think Honda Civic?) where people do that stupid wavey hand dance move.  Jesus that’s annoying!  Three adults (chronologically that is) crammed into the back of a Civic doing a little synchronized hand dance!  I guess they are appealing to the young urban hip hop dance club types?  I guess...

• Love 3

I don't know why but this Shoedazzle commercial annoys the crap outta me right from the very start. First, those black boots at the beginning are hideous--but that's just my opinion, of course, and it's the way the model is walking that is really bugging me; it's like she's almost strutting but so slowly! And at the end, the way another chick says "Shoedazzle" is annoying too.

2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

First, those black boots at the beginning are hideous

Heh; those are the only ones in the entire commercial I don't think are hideous (I'm not going to buy them, but they're fine; the rest, I'd rather go barefoot).

• Love 2

Haha, I don't recall the rest so I don't think I thought everything was terrible--though I guess I didn't think it was great either. I tend toward clunky old platforms, so I doubt Shoedazzle has anything for me anyway!

Edited by TattleTeeny

Can we please stop with the iPhone X commercials? They all suck & there is really nothing special about it. Maybe, if it can make me some toast, pizza, or ice cream, then it might be worth the money & the aggravation of tolerating these commercials. Instead, its nothing but emoji crap, crappy music, & other not worth a damn nonsense. 

• Love 8

I had to stop wearing heels about 30 years ago, my feet can't do them. I haven't seen the Shoedazzle ad, but I'd probably like the shoes if I could get them doll size. I live my shoe fantasies through my dolls, they can wear whatever wild and crazy shoe I can come up with. They also don't have to stand or walk.

Editing because I have discovered Chinese embroidered flats, I bought about a dozen pair last year. They let me live my cute shoe fantasies. I see ads for them on websites to keep this about commercials. And I have clicked the ads to get a better look.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I had to stop wearing heels about 30 years ago, my feet can't do them. I haven't seen the Shoedazzle ad, but I'd probably like the shoes if I could get them doll size. I live my shoe fantasies through my dolls, they can wear whatever wild and crazy shoe I can come up with. They also don't have to stand or walk.

Editing because I have discovered Chinese embroidered flats, I bought about a dozen pair last year. They let me live my cute shoe fantasies. I see ads for them on websites to keep this about commercials. And I have clicked the ads to get a better look.

I discovered those Chinese flats in San Francisco, and they are wonderful!  The embroidery is beautiful.

4 hours ago, Magog said:

Can we please stop with the iPhone X commercials? They all suck & there is really nothing special about it. Maybe, if it can make me some toast, pizza, or ice cream, then it might be worth the money & the aggravation of tolerating these commercials. Instead, its nothing but emoji crap, crappy music, & other not worth a damn nonsense. 

THIS.  The terrible music and crappy emojis just drive me off the rails!

• Love 4