Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

(edited)
On ‎06‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:23 PM, Nordly Beaumont said:

I also have no issue with a man wearing his hair in a bun, I think it can look pretty cool. What I hate is the term "man-bun." It's just a bun. We don't say "man-ponytail" after all. It's just a hairstyle for both men and women with long hair.

I have never seen a man on whom a bun looked good.  I do accept that this is a personal preference.  I will say that I have seen a lot of bad hair choices watching international soccer, and the man-bun is up there on the stupid-o-meter, but this past season I actually saw something worse: Hector Bellerin's white-boy corn rows.

Edited to note that the man-bun trend did provide so humorous moments during a Chelsea match when the commentators had an extended conversation about David Luiz (affectionately known as 'Sideshow Bob') using a hair boo-bah to pull his hair into a man-bun during a match.  You'd have thought they had no idea that such things existed.

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:36 AM, smittykins said:

The Craftsman  Father's Day "buy me tools" ad, which shows one of the dads throwing away a drawing that his kid most likely spent a lot of time and effort on(and most likely is is no position to buy said tools), rubs me the wrong way.

I hate all Father's Days commercials.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 7:29 PM, caci said:

I detest, unrationally detest the Infiniti commercial with the girl taking the driving test.  I hate the smug girl and her smug mother, the now stereotyped dumb clueless boy standing on the side and the awestruck instructor who is just sooo impressed.  I would have failed her for the simple reason that she failed to listen to any instructions.  Everything about that commercial makes me unreasonably angry that I have to turn the channel if it comes on.

Are we sppsd to believe her mother taught her to stunt drive for her driver's test?

8 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Those are awful! "I had a virus that some people get over, but I didn't and it's your fault, Mom and Dad, because you should have had me vaccinated and now I have cancer."

Oh gawd, I saw that in heavy rotation this weekend! Making matters worse, it was a two-fer, two consecutive ads, one with a daughter and then with a son.

• Love 8

I have never seen a man on whom a bun looked good.  I do accept that this is a personal preference.  

The few I see in real life (i.e., outside of FB memes and TV commercials) just look like themselves with their hair pulled back; if I didn't know them and didn't see a bun, I doubt I'd think twice about it. But it's not a new thing in my experience; guys at my art school in the '90s did it pretty often--that and wide stretchy-fabric headbands too, I assume for the same reason I did (and do) wear them now.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, forumfish said:

I saw that commercial the other day and yelled at the woman that she should not be afraid to embrace elastic-waist pants. Of course, I've always been a comfort-over-fashion kind of gal, and bought my first pair of elastic-waist jeans back when all the alternatives were so low-slung the zippers were only 2.5" long. I like pants that come up to my waist.

6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I do too and I found a brand of jeans that are stretchy and fit like a dream.

Me, three! Went in for a CT and the lady said to wear comfy clothes. I laughed and said I wear nothing else. My stretchy, comfy jeans are the dreaded PajamaJeans. Unapologetically love them. Those, yoga pants, leggings, and lounge pants are about all I wear these days. Wore Punjammies out to shop today.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I do too and I found a brand of jeans that are stretchy and fit like a dream.

Are you going to share what brand this is with the rest of us??

5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Edited to note that the man-bun trend did provide so humorous moments during a Chelsea match when the commentators had an extended conversation about David Luiz (affectionately known as 'Sideshow Bob') using a hair boo-bah to pull his hair into a man-bun during a match.  You'd have thought they had no idea that such things existed.

A what?!

Commercial that needs to drop dead and die, immediately: it's a commercial for a Spectrum with people dressed up as different countries all dancing to Fiesta (or salsa? I'm not sure) music. The whole thing is terrible and it's for a "promotion" that is really their normal prices.

I also hate the Ford Edge commercial where the dude drops everything to drive to his partner. What I hate about it is him driving obviously exhausted. Pull over and sleep dude!

• Love 3

The Angel Soft commercial where the pregnant lady keeps getting up to pee grosses me out more every time I see it. It's not just the close-up of the flushing toilet, but her general dumpiness and sitting on the toilet pigeon-toed. I guess they were going for a realistic, unglamorous pregnant lady, but frankly, toilet paper commercials are gross enough. I don't need to see her shlubby terry cloth slippers and pilly old t-shirt, not to mention my all-time favorite: caressing her own belly. It didn't bug me at first, but it's on so often that it's starting to grate.

• Love 2
On 6/12/2017 at 10:22 AM, mmecorday said:

There's a commercial for some-over-the-counter supplement for post-menopausal women with a woman looking like she's doing a stand-up routine complaining that her jeans don't fit any more. "I'm not ready for elastic waistbands!" she says. 

All of those ads annoy me. There's a series. Moody, sweaty, whatever. Get over it.

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

The Angel Soft commercial where the pregnant lady keeps getting up to pee grosses me out more every time I see it. It's not just the close-up of the flushing toilet, but her general dumpiness and sitting on the toilet pigeon-toed. I guess they were going for a realistic, unglamorous pregnant lady, but frankly, toilet paper commercials are gross enough. I don't need to see her shlubby terry cloth slippers and pilly old t-shirt, not to mention my all-time favorite: caressing her own belly. It didn't bug me at first, but it's on so often that it's starting to grate.

That one is not nearly as sick making as the one for Silka foot cream which shows a series of increasingly disgusting infected feet. Don't the idiots who make commercials realize that people sometimes eat while watching TV?

42 minutes ago, ennui said:

All of those ads annoy me. There's a series. Moody, sweaty, whatever. Get over it.

I get it, but having had chemo put me into instant menopause at 49, I can testify that the whole experience can be massively unpleasant. And I would have ripped the head off anyone who dismissively told me to just get over it. I would have if I could have. That said, her angst over elastic waistbands was eye-rollingly petty.

• Love 9

The ad for P3 protein packs, I think they are called, where the one woman says she likes her protein some eye-rollingly inane word, and her friend who eats grass?  I want to set them both on fire.

Just eat whatever the fuck you want and leave me out of it.

• Love 9
(edited)

Peacheslatour, thanks for the info, I'll look them up, I need new jeans, I think I might be able to get in single digits again, it's been many years, but I can now put on and take off my jeans without bothering with the zipper and button! 25 pounds! Yeah me! I'm only 4'11", so 25 pounds for me is like 50 pounds for a regular person. Well, found holey jeans, bell bottom and skinny jeans, I'll keep looking.

Back to commercials, I mostly watch Escape and H&I and METV, so I get the cheap Father's Day commercials, not tools but Omaha Steaks. All I want from there is the 2 pound cheesecake...well, because I've lost 25 pounds in the last 2 years. But I'm tired of those ads. I pretty much choose to ignore Father's Day since my own Dad died in 2000. I put up a bunch of pictures of him on FB to honor him, but I really don't want to acknowledge it any other way, still too painful, even if it has been 17 years. 

But the ads that are annoying me right now are for Home Adviser, the free Angie's List. The one with the man who talks about how handy he is but now that he has kids, he doesn't want to spend his weekends doing something (I forget) and installing toilets. Just how many toilets is he having to install? Most places I've ever lived, and some for 15 years or so, I never had to have a toilet installed. Yes, I've had to replace inner workings of said toilets, but that takes less than an hour, and if I can do, just about anyone can. I say that because I've had 2 friends that have had to have new toilets installed. One, because he had a preteen son who thought it would be a good idea to put some firework down the toilet...it's never a good idea. And the other friend is the most unhandy person ever. His SO asked him to replace a toilet seat (I've done several of those over the years), the bolts had rusted and he couldn't get them loose...so he thought a hammer would help...it didn't, he cracked the bowl, then he thought he had to get the water out of there, so he flushed...hilarity ensued...except not when he had to get an emergency plumber and replace a toilet, right then. This is the same friend that bought a new fan, and I assembled it for him.

Edited because I knew there was something else, Hollar, some webstore, but the opening of the ad annoys me, I guess they're going for hip, but I am so unhip. And ThredUp, most of the women talking about it, cannot pronounce it, I thought for the longest time they were say Britta and I thought that was a water purifying system. And the end of the ad with the person twirling in her orange chiffon pleated skirt, really needs a slip! And I don't care if they are Michael Kors pumps, they're ugly, that's why they're on a site for second hand clothing.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 6

Peacheslatour, thanks for the info, I'll look them up, I need new jeans, I think I might be able to get in single digits again, it's been many years, but I can now put on and take off my jeans without bothering with the zipper and button! 25 pounds! Yeah me! I'm only 4'11", so 25 pounds for me is like 50 pounds for a regular person.

I feel you. I'm only five three. I get these jeans in a size 7. Some people say the're too long. I guess I have freakishly long legs because they fit me perfectly. The only caveat is the don't have front pockets. I've ordered three pairs so far and I'm about to order another in black.

Sorry for thread jack mods, I'll be good now.

• Love 2
On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:03 PM, theredhead77 said:

Are you going to share what brand this is with the rest of us??

A what?!

Commercial that needs to drop dead and die, immediately: it's a commercial for a Spectrum with people dressed up as different countries all dancing to Fiesta (or salsa? I'm not sure) music. The whole thing is terrible and it's for a "promotion" that is really their normal prices.

I also hate the Ford Edge commercial where the dude drops everything to drive to his partner. What I hate about it is him driving obviously exhausted. Pull over and sleep dude!

A hair boo-bah is a slang term for a  ponytail holder or scrunchie, something with which one might pull back one's hair.  (This might be very localized slang.)  The funny part was that the announcers apparently had no idea that a player might keep something like that on their person during a match for just such a purpose.  It was an alien concept to them.

• Love 1

That's because when they came up, players just tied a bootlace around their forehead to keep hair out of their eyes.

They are men, manly men who do only manly male things.  They don't know about hair accessories.

• Love 6
On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 4:21 PM, meep.meep said:

They are men, manly men who do only manly male things.

I wonder what percentage of posters here are old enough to remember that SNL skit:

"Now, men, I run a mans' ship. I will run it in a manful and masculine way! I will tolerate no men under my command who act in such a way so as to discredit their manhood and manliness!"

• Love 9
On 6/7/2017 at 3:34 PM, ennui said:

I have a lot of issues with this commercial. I'm not sure it's wise to advertise chemotherapy on television. I'm not even sure it's chemo, but it comes across that way. 

I have issues with cancer drug commercials in general. Some pharmaceutical company started running an ad for a lung cancer drug that promised patients "a chance to live longer" (complete with soaring music and heartfelt thanks to everyone who participated in the clinical trial) two weeks after I watched my mom die from that exact type of cancer.

I really didn't need to see or hear that.

• Love 18
2 hours ago, Eliot said:

I have issues with cancer drug commercials in general. Some pharmaceutical company started running an ad for a lung cancer drug that promised patients "a chance to live longer" (complete with soaring music and heartfelt thanks to everyone who participated in the clinical trial) two weeks after I watched my mom die from that exact type of cancer.

I really didn't need to see or hear that.

The one about pancreatic cancer is worse.  They show these people running a marathon, and gradually most of the runners fade from sight while the spectators watch and the voiceover guy talks about how 9 out of 10 people diagnosed with it die. Like, its great that they're pursuing a cure, but all they needed was Sarah McLachlan's Angel to cap it off.

• Love 13
(edited)

I was coming here to bitch about the deodorant commercial with the woman in the bathroom. I wondered why in the hell "Dana" needed courage just to walk out of the bathroom stall. It just happened to come on as I was logging in and I paid closer attention to it. Dana is transgender.  Now I get it.  

I finally saw the Deal Dash commercial that you guys were talking about. I hate those people!  The man always cocks his head like he's a confused, mentally challenged Basset Hound and the woman looks like a huge bitch. Why would they choose such unpleasant people to be in their ad? 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 4

The Cancer Treatment Centers of America commercials being on every damn channel I watch. They make it seem like they will help anyone but if you have insurance they don't take they want a yuge deposit. It doesn't help the fact that they are damn scary if you've lost someone to C.

I hate those Progressive commercials where the people are turning into their opposite sex parent. I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that I loathe my asshole of a father so even the thought of being like him makes me a bit angry.

• Love 6
48 minutes ago, mojoween said:

"U G L Y you ain't got no alibi!"

Flaaaaaaaames down the side of my faaaaaace.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this one yet.  Stupid ass commercial. "Get ugh a lee" is so stupid.  I go for the remote control every time that stupid commercial starts. 

• Love 3

For fellow insomniacs, the spiral ear-cleaner (looks like a power drill) and Bamboo Bra have horrible ratings on Amazon.

last year my nephew talked me into getting the spiral ear cleaner. I thought I must have either a really small ear canal or I was the stupidest person on earth, that one is probably true because I bought it. My nephew tried it out, the box is on a shelf, I may see if I can use any of the stuff to make doll house items. And I'll ask in my group for making miniatures out of everyday items and trash if anyone has any suggestions.  

• Love 2
On 6/15/2017 at 8:27 PM, Sandman87 said:

I wonder what percentage of posters here are old enough to remember that SNL skit:

"Now, men, I run a mans' ship. I will run it in a manful and masculine way! I will tolerate no men under my command who act in such a way so as to discredit their manhood and manliness!"

Why, that's the sort of rhetoric one would hear only aboard the Raging Queen!

• Love 3

Aww man, now I'm starting to feel a little sorry for mamma jamma guy. I mean, I hate him like everyone else does but I keep forgetting he's a real person who will be haunted by this for the rest of his days. And he *was* just trying to spare the ad guy's feelings?

• Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:50 AM, mmecorday said:

The Lime-a-Rita ads with the twenty-somethings deciding to hang out on someone's rooftop instead of going out are on all the damn time. They wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the accompanying song being so ear wormy.

I hate that ad for so many reasons! I hate the music; I hate the narrative, especially the girl's dorky dance move; and I am convinced any product made by that American swill beer company is going to be nasty as hell.

• Love 7

I can't find a link for it, but the commercial for Always pads. Apparently a large percentage of women are wearing the "wrong size pad". Um.. How did they do this survey, and don't most women base the size of pads they buy on their how heavy they're flow is? That's how I always do.  

• Love 16
56 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

I think they are basing the size of the pad on a woman's panty-size.  But, yeah, when I used them I bought them according to flow.

Sounds silly to me; panty size is based on outside circumference. The other dimensions are less variable. All I can think of is that it gives Always justification for "needing" more shelf space and increasing their visibility in the stores.

• Love 7
On 6/18/2017 at 2:14 AM, bref said:

Aww man, now I'm starting to feel a little sorry for mamma jamma guy. I mean, I hate him like everyone else does but I keep forgetting he's a real person who will be haunted by this for the rest of his days. And he *was* just trying to spare the ad guy's feelings?

Buck up!  He got paid.  Think about us, his victims, who must listen to this over and over again.

• Love 14
(edited)

I can't really pin down why I hate it so much but the Alfa Romeo "Dear Predictable" commercial makes me stabby. The narrator's manner of speech is very ambiguous to me, it took me a while to catch on that it was the car talking after it had found a worthy owner. 

Edited by SoSueMe
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, SoSueMe said:

I can't really pin down why I hate it so much but the Alfa Romeo "Dear Predictable" commercial makes me stabby. The narrator's manner of speech is very ambiguous to me, it took me a while to catch on that it was the car talking after it had found a worthy owner. 

Really? I thought it was the worthy owner talking. I'll have to pay more attention. 

(edited)
3 minutes ago, ennui said:

Really? I thought it was the worthy owner talking. I'll have to pay more attention. 

I think so, the model of the AR is Guilia.

First owner is "Predictable" and she's cutting him loose.

Edited by SoSueMe
  • Love 1
On 6/16/2017 at 3:16 PM, Jaded said:

The Cancer Treatment Centers of America commercials being on every damn channel I watch. They make it seem like they will help anyone but if you have insurance they don't take they want a yuge deposit. It doesn't help the fact that they are damn scary if you've lost someone to C.

The guy that started those clinics is a bazillionaire.  They are for-profit hospitals. And he's getting an epic divorce. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-cancer-treatment-center-divorce-delay-met-20170426-story.html

3 minutes ago, SoSueMe said:

I think so, the model of the AR is Guilia.

First owner is "Predictable" and she's cutting him loose.

But that would imply the car is used, not new. 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, ennui said:

The guy that started those clinics is a bazillionaire.  They are for-profit hospitals. And he's getting an epic divorce. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-cancer-treatment-center-divorce-delay-met-20170426-story.html

But that would imply the car is used, not new. 

Maybe you're right, like I said it is pretty ambiguous. Maybe the girl/guy is breaking up with a SO and running away with the car :)

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/A30R/2017-alfa-romeo-giulia-super-bowl-2017-dear-predictable

35 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Back to the Liberty Mutual dumbasses. "Nobody's perfect". The way she says "perfect" makes me want to cut a bitch.

That girl is so hateful, I can foresee any acting job in the future being a dead-end.  Maybe if she changed her voice, her hair, her clothes so no one could recognize her.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Back to the Liberty Mutual dumbasses. "Nobody's perfect". The way she says "perfect" makes me want to cut a bitch.

I noticed for the first time that she's wearing a star pendant. With the Statue in the background, I guess they're going for subtle patriotism.

• Love 1

Not sure if this belongs in the obnoxious brat thread or here, but I saw a Birdseye frozen veg commercial today that irritated the crap out of me. Two cute little cartoon birds are dancing on the counter as the family eats dinner. They're happy because the kids are eating vegetables. Yay. Cute. Then, out of nowhere, someone either throws a fork or it goes airborne by accident and it stabs one of the birds in the foot. As the bird circles around, stunned (granted, it's cartoon pain, so no blood), the kids start giggling. Who are these evil spawn and why would I want to buy vegetables from a company that thinks sociopathic demon children that like to impale perfectly harmless birds are a good marketing idea? Did they collude with the Halos brats? 

• Love 21
(edited)
On 6/20/2017 at 2:14 PM, potatoradio said:

Not sure if this belongs in the obnoxious brat thread or here, but I saw a Birdseye frozen veg commercial today that irritated the crap out of me. Two cute little cartoon birds are dancing on the counter as the family eats dinner. They're happy because the kids are eating vegetables. Yay. Cute. Then, out of nowhere, someone either throws a fork or it goes airborne by accident and it stabs one of the birds in the foot. As the bird circles around, stunned (granted, it's cartoon pain, so no blood), the kids start giggling. Who are these evil spawn and why would I want to buy vegetables from a company that thinks sociopathic demon children that like to impale perfectly harmless birds are a good marketing idea? Did they collude with the Halos brats? 

There are literally people who think it's cute when their brats hurt animals. We were up at Stanley Park in B.C. and there was an exhibition of Timber Wolves. They were in this crummy cage and these rotten little no-neck monsters were poking them with sticks. The poor wolves had nowhere to hide and the "parents" were laughing their foul, ignorant asses off. It made me sick, we were just high school kids so we didn't say anything. If I saw that today I would be all over that.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 15