Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

Special K is telling women to own the fact they eat?  Special K, the brand that every January used to run commercials featuring thin women presented as fat cows who'd ballooned up over the holidays and thus needed to subsist on its cereal so they could shrink back down and dare show themselves in public again?

• Love 16
2 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Two commercials have been driving me up a wall lately

This one :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk9a6BodzdM

Because I'll be damned if my (non-existent) child is going to instruct me on what to make for dinner. I'm old-school like that. And if the grandmother had all the time in the world to help make the flashcards, then her ass could've been in the kitchen helping the mother dinner too.

And this one:

Women eat...and we own it! Yeah, I'm woman and a feminist....but this commercial is rage inducing.  As if human women are the only creatures on the planet that eat for energy and we should be proud of our uniqueness. Last I checked, every living animal eats and almost all female animals produce offspring.  I can't stand the idea of treating women doing ordinary things as special and a mundane task such as "eating" is something we need to "own/be proud of". It just doesn't make sense.  "Yeah, I ate today! I rock! Whoo-hoo!"

No, it's not that we eat because we're amazing.  It's some sort of weird female-empowerment message that says, "Yes!  It's okay to EAT!!"  Cuz you're eating some overprocessed, dehydrated and (of course) low calorie foodstuff that will ensure you can fit into next season's stylish swimsuit.  OWN IT, WOMEN!

I hate the line "Our bodies make BABIES!"  Uh, no.  Not unless your egg has been fertilized by an outside source.  It's not like our bodies just spontaneously produce offspring.  Some of us go to our graves without our bodies making a BABY!   It's also interesting that's the first "amazing" woman-body thing on the list.

• Love 17
3 hours ago, millennium said:

I won't answer this 14 times, I'll just say ask any average person who Justin Guarini is. 

I know who he is and I really liked him on American Idol, much more than Kelly, and even went to a couple of his concerts post AI.  I love his commercials. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Because I'll be damned if my (non-existent) child is going to instruct me on what to make for dinner. I'm old-school like that.

When I was a very small kid, my Mom used to force me to decide what we were going to have. "Do you want to have X, or should we have Y?" And if I didn't want to choose, she'd threaten to fix some Z, which she knew I wasn't fond of. Later on it became a multiple choice question. Then it became multiple choice, but I sometimes had to help prepare it. By the time I was in high-school it became an occasional "We adults are going out, you're on your own for dinner. There's (list of cookable stuff) in the fridge." And that was her sneaky, despicable, decade-long campaign to force me to learn how to plan a simple menu and cook it.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

When I was a very small kid, my Mom used to force me to decide what we were going to have. "Do you want to have X, or should we have Y?" And if I didn't want to choose, she'd threaten to fix some Z, which she knew I wasn't fond of. Later on it became a multiple choice question. Then it became multiple choice, but I sometimes had to help prepare it. By the time I was in high-school it became an occasional "We adults are going out, you're on your own for dinner. There's (list of cookable stuff) in the fridge." And that was her sneaky, despicable, decade-long campaign to force me to learn how to plan a simple menu and cook it.

At least she didn't make you do "rock, paper, scissors" to make the decision, like a friend of mine did with her kid.  She said she did it so the kid felt like she had *some* control over her life. Rock, paper, scissors is control?

• Love 2
(edited)

I think it has to do with the outdated notion that it isn't "ladylike" to eat, like we all still live in Scarlett O'Hara's time. It's silly in 2017.

"I'm going to have a good time today, and do my eating at the barbecue...my stays are so tight, I'll never get through the day without belching!"

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6
21 hours ago, meep.meep said:

It's amazing how many people hate him and what he says.  It's like a universal.  I don't think there's anyone who likes it at all.

Justin Guarini is very active in theater, even on the Broadway.  He's moved on from his 15 minutes of AI fame.  If you are curious as to why he's billed in the commercial, why not write to the company?

I've only just recently seen that Chevy commercial, but it is now my most hated commercial ever.  From the yellow sweater, through the man bun, to the bad mamma jamma, it's a complete horror show.

• Love 8

What's with this sudden "breathable underwear" fad? Now even Fruit of the Loom is hawking its space age "breathable" underwear. What? Is it mesh? Are my outdated cotton briefs suffocating my nether regions? 

• Love 13
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I've only just recently seen that Chevy commercial, but it is now my most hated commercial ever.  From the yellow sweater, through the man bun, to the bad mamma jamma, it's a complete horror show.

The "man bun" is the millennial version of the mullet.

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

The "man bun" is the millennial version of the mullet.

Having lived through the mullet era, I can say, the man bun is worse.  Yeah, the mullet was bad, but not this bad.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

*small voice* I've always liked mullets.

Man-buns, not so much.

LOL, it's just the opposite, for me. I've seen some man-buns that looked good.

• Love 7

You guys, I seriously have zero issue with a man-bun; you have long hair, sometimes you want it out of the way! My tattoo guy (whose hair is short now) used to make the neatest bun way faster than I ever could! I was impressed. 

• Love 6

I detest, unrationally detest the Infiniti commercial with the girl taking the driving test.  I hate the smug girl and her smug mother, the now stereotyped dumb clueless boy standing on the side and the awestruck instructor who is just sooo impressed.  I would have failed her for the simple reason that she failed to listen to any instructions.  Everything about that commercial makes me unreasonably angry that I have to turn the channel if it comes on.

• Love 8
On 6/8/2017 at 6:10 PM, AgentRXS said:

Two commercials have been driving me up a wall lately

This one :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk9a6BodzdM

Because I'll be damned if my (non-existent) child is going to instruct me on what to make for dinner. I'm old-school like that. And if the grandmother had all the time in the world to help make the flashcards, then her ass could've been in the kitchen helping the mother dinner too.

And this one:

Women eat...and we own it! Yeah, I'm woman and a feminist....but this commercial is rage inducing.  As if human women are the only creatures on the planet that eat for energy and we should be proud of our uniqueness. Last I checked, every living animal eats and almost all female animals produce offspring.  I can't stand the idea of treating women doing ordinary things as special and a mundane task such as "eating" is something we need to "own/be proud of". It just doesn't make sense.  "Yeah, I ate today! I rock! Whoo-hoo!"

Now I love me some Special K but I despise this commercial on such a level it's scary. Between it and a local commercial where a woman is so impressed and grateful her attorney went to court with her (WTF!) I want to hit my tv. 

• Love 5
On 6/8/2017 at 4:29 PM, millennium said:

I don't think so.   This is at least his second gig as Little Sweet.  In the first one he went unidentified.   I only knew it was him after seeing it mentioned in an article.  

When I saw his first Diet DP commercial, I thought it was Jimmy Fallon...until I looked it up. Suffice it to say, I'd rather watch Justin than Jimmy because I really think Jimmy is a frustrated, wanna be singer.

• Love 1
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Katmai said:

When I saw his first Diet DP commercial, I thought it was Jimmy Fallon...until I looked it up. Suffice it to say, I'd rather watch Justin than Jimmy because I really think Jimmy is a frustrated, wanna be singer.

Jimmy's "Reading Rainbow Theme" as Jim Morrison and the Doors was sheer genius.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

What's with this sudden "breathable underwear" fad? Now even Fruit of the Loom is hawking its space age "breathable" underwear. What? Is it mesh? Are my outdated cotton briefs suffocating my nether regions? 

"Breathable underwear" makes me think of some sort of undercover Batman gear. "I can stay underwater for 14.3 minutes with my breathable underwear, long enough for the Joker to think that Bruce Wayne is dead!"

• Love 9
4 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

You guys, I seriously have zero issue with a man-bun; you have long hair, sometimes you want it out of the way! My tattoo guy (whose hair is short now) used to make the neatest bun way faster than I ever could! I was impressed. 

I also have no issue with a man wearing his hair in a bun, I think it can look pretty cool. What I hate is the term "man-bun." It's just a bun. We don't say "man-ponytail" after all. It's just a hairstyle for both men and women with long hair.

• Love 8
(edited)
3 hours ago, Katmai said:

Do you remember Jimmy Fallon's "Idiot Boyfriend" song? I still laugh at it.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I do NOT want to think about giving your nether regions CPR. 

• Love 8

Does Justin Guarini really think he has the kind of name-brand recognition that will make people care that it's him under the Little Sweet drag?

The first time I saw little sweet on the commercial, I was trying to figure out who it was. The second time, I thought it was Guarini, and I thought it was funny.  Justin Guarini might not have name recognition to everyone, but he has had a career acting, singing, playing guitar. He's avoided scandal, so he's more low profile than a lot of celebrities.  

The first season of Idol was watched by a lot of families, so some young adults would recall Justin Guarini and Kelly Clarkson, it was a pretty big deal at the time. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

The new Little Caesars commercial where that asshole cruelly stomps over that poor little boy's dream of making the world's greatest pizza. 

I think that commercial is hilarious!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, backformore said:

Justin Guarini might not have name recognition to everyone, but he has had a career acting, singing, playing guitar. He's avoided scandal, so he's more low profile than a lot of celebrities.  

I realize that a lot of people don't care about theater, but that's not proof that he's a nonentity. I've now seen him in three high-profile productions of musicals, and in all cases his performances were among the best I've seen in 50 years of theatergoing (and research/writing about musicals, if that matters). If anything, his American Idol (and the spinoff movie) associations were drawbacks that he had to overcome in order to be taken seriously, but he has indeed overcome them.

• Love 6

"How old are you in Telo years?"   So now the cells in my body are supposed to be aging at a different rate than chronological years?  And now the marvels of modern medical science (that still can't cure cancer, diabetes or the common cold) can tell me how old I'm supposed to feel.  Uh huh.  Sounds like some Star Trek BS.  Or, you know, what it is.  Another dumb ass marketing ploy to get people to freely submit their DNA.  

• Love 10

The Craftsman  Father's Day "buy me tools" ad, which shows one of the dads throwing away a drawing that his kid most likely spent a lot of time and effort on(and most likely is is no position to buy said tools), rubs me the wrong way.

• Love 10

Maybe it is just me but Imfind the Odwalla juice commercials extremely Pedo. Cute little boy swimmer asks his adult swim coach what his Odwalla tastes like. Coach goes into dialogue about mouthfulls and intp pie holes.  

I guess I watch too much TLC - but the commercial they show every two minutes for some new show about a woman and her family, called Hair Goddess, is going to make me go postal.  Not just because they seem to be the most stupid people on the planet, but because the woman's voice is high pitched, nasal, Jersey Shore, and babyish simultaneously!  I can take two at a time, not three, and definitely not four.

• Love 10

I guess Pandora is really serious about making me pay for ad-free service.....because this 9th rate Mariah Carey singing about how "shiny her hiney" is almost has me breaking my computer.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, ethalfrida said:

Maybe it is just me but Imfind the Odwalla juice commercials extremely Pedo. Cute little boy swimmer asks his adult swim coach what his Odwalla tastes like. Coach goes into dialogue about mouthfulls and intp pie holes.  

I haven't seen that one yet but it sounds disgusting. I can't even fathom what they're trying to convey. But I do love their Strawberry Protein drink. 

• Love 1

So happy to find this thread! There are SO many commercials that get on my last nerve (don't get me started on Kit Kat or Hardee's/Carl's Jr.) and I never have anyone to share my hatred with.  

• Love 5
(edited)

Justin Guarini, aka Lil' Sweet, sang with a group at the Tonys last night.  He was the lead and he sounded great.  Voice as smooth as buttah.  So yes, he is somewhat well-known, at least in the Broadway circles, as well as for his commercials.  He certainly isn't some "has-been." 

Edited by Ohwell
No apostrophe for Tonys
  • Love 8

I am still enraged about the gardasil commercials.  And now they have a new one!

Those are awful! "I had a virus that some people get over, but I didn't and it's your fault, Mom and Dad, because you should have had me vaccinated and now I have cancer."

There's a commercial for some-over-the-counter supplement for post-menopausal women with a woman looking like she's doing a stand-up routine complaining that her jeans don't fit any more. "I'm not ready for elastic waistbands!" she says. I find it very hard to believe that a woman who looks like she shops the Dowdy Duds department at TJ Maxx doesn't have at least one pair of sweatpants that she wears on a daily basis.

• Love 10

Here's one that makes me unaccountably ragey. I get that they're trying to make her a stereotypical Southern busybody, but WTF with the eyebrows and Pentecostal hair??

• Love 1

I seriously have zero issue with a man-bun; you have long hair, sometimes you want it out of the way!

Yes but some men deliberately shave their head into a Mohawk leaving only the middle part long specifically so they can do the bun thing. That's . . . weird.

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, forumfish said:

I saw that commercial the other day and yelled at the woman that she should not be afraid to embrace elastic-waist pants. Of course, I've always been a comfort-over-fashion kind of gal, and bought my first pair of elastic-waist jeans back when all the alternatives were so low-slung the zippers were only 2.5" long. I like pants that come up to my waist.

I do too and I found a brand of jeans that are stretchy and fit like a dream.