Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, absolutqt said:

Fuck you, University of Phoenix for using a Cranberries song in another one of your scamming, annoying ads.  I thought we were past the horror of that "Brain" ad and then they doubled down with "Dreams."  Someone, please make it stop.

Damn, I like that song too.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 5/27/2017 at 5:35 AM, Haleth said:

And then I wonder how much of the budget for overpriced drugs goes toward slick advertising.

This bothers me more than anything else about these commercials. That and the horrors of their lists of side effects, which may include but not be limited to, constipation, diarrhea, yeast infections (in women and men), depression, inability to fight certain infections, vision loss, hearing impairment, suicidal thoughts or actions, impaired judgement, impotence, weight gain, high blood pressure, low blood pressure, lightheadedness, double vision, and various conditions which lead to coma or death. No thanks, I think I'd rather just live with whatever you want to sell me these drugs for.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

This bothers me more than anything else about these commercials. That and the horrors of their lists of side effects, which my include but not be limited to, constipation, diarrhea, yeast infections (in women and men), depression, inability to fight certain infections, vision loss, hearing impairment, suicidal thoughts or actions, impaired judgement, impotence, weight gain, high blood pressure, low blood pressure, lightheadedness, double vision, and various conditions which lead to coma or death. No thanks, I think I'd rather just live with whatever you want to sell me these drugs for.

Especially diarrhea! Regardless of what ailment/condition the "medicine" alleges to treat, diarrhea is always among the potential side-effects 

• Love 6

I'm no doctor (but I play one on PTV) but it seems like many of the illnesses or diseases aren't life-threatening, so that taking prescription medication with so many potential side-effects wouldn't be worth the risk. The ads for psoriasis and arthritis come to mind. 

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I'm no doctor (but I play one on PTV) but it seems like many of the illnesses or diseases aren't life-threatening, so that taking prescription medication with so many potential side-effects wouldn't be worth the risk. The ads for psoriasis and arthritis come to mind. 

Yeah, there are a couple that I MIGHT take their nasty medicine for; MS or Crohn's, but NOT for psoriasis.

• Love 3

I mean if you look at something like Harvoni, which is an actual CURE (not thought to be a cure or believed to help) for an extremely serious illness and has only minimal side effects, then yeah. But as you all say some of these dangerous drugs are for conditions where you'd just be better off with disease than something which can really fuck you up. And then you have these commercial from ambulance chasing lawyers "If you or a loved one used the drug (fill in the blank) and you died from cancer or some other horrible crap, right after they show the ad for said drug. Ha ha it is to laugh.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 5/26/2017 at 5:13 PM, muffkins said:

This commercial makes me want to kill something.  It is on every time I turn on the damn TV.

It is the worst.

I had never seen the commercial above and now I want to kill something too. 

Edited by configdotsys
fixed a word
  • Love 2

You take the drug, you get side effects. The doc gives you another drug to counteract the side effects, which then gives you another set of side effects... I saw this happen with my late mom and I've told my doctor I'm NOT getting on that merry-go-round.  She no longer tries to push something on me for a minor condition.  I take my metformin for my diabetes; the rest of the stuff I take are vitamins & probiotics - and I'm not sure how much the probiotics are helping.  No side effects except for the larger balance on the credit cards - and at this point in my life, I'd like to cut *that* back, as well.

• Love 10
20 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Well I guess that depends  on how much pain you are in from the arthritis . The med I am on does have side effects  I would  prefer  not to have but I can work  without  being in so  much  pain I want to cry. My psoriasis  on the other  hand I can live with , but it is on my scalp so it is not noticeable,  just anoying.

• Love 11
On 5/26/2017 at 2:13 PM, muffkins said:

This commercial makes me want to kill something.

Pun intended?  :)  I like dandelions, and I've never heard them called "prickly." 

Maybe the ad for A/C Pro has been discussed here (it appears to be a year old): "As a man drives around in the scorching heat, his dog jumps out of the car and grabs a can of A/C Pro out of a convenience store. After the man recharges his air conditioner, the air becomes so cold that his breath is visible." But what bothers me is that we don't see the man pay for the A/C Pro. The dog is a thief. They need a companion ad where the man trains the dog to jump out and steal a six-pack. 

• Love 7
(edited)
On 4/24/2017 at 2:13 PM, LoneHaranguer said:

Employers are required by law to pay everyone fairly. If some of their employees are trying to do things that they shouldn't while earning an entry-level salary, like raise a family, they need to rely on organizations that can factor in "need",  government and charities. If Walmart is donating to charities that provide that type of assistance, they're addressing the issue in a way as effective and legal as they can. 

THANK YOU for saying this! I'm married to a WM associate, who has worked there for almost twenty years. He is treated fairly, equally and respectfully, and I truly get tired of people bitching about WM, like it's some sort of third-world sweat shop!
There is a phrase "Live within your means" - the 'means' is how much money you make. If you can't afford your "means" while working at WM, you need to find a different job. OR you need to have a lifestyle that allows you to live under the "means" you get at WM.  I am 40, have a husband and full-grown child. There's no way in hell I'd be able to live off a single WM salary (assuming husband doesn't work)... therefore, I do not work at WM... I work somewhere where I get paid enough money to support myself...

Whoops! I was so happy to see someone NOT bashing WM, I didn't realize the Mod told us to move on...

Moving on...

The new Trivago Woman sounds like she's eating her own tongue.  Who woulda guesses I'd miss the guy?

Also, the Booking.Com "teacher"?  Ugh.  Perhaps if she was a GOOD teacher, she wouldn't have an unruly classroom, and she wouldn't need a Kid-Free vacation... justsayin'

Edited by amykay9377
Mods told us to stop with the Wal-Mart talk
  • Love 5

Speaking of living within ones means, the teacher in those Booking.com commercials would probably not be able to afford the vacation we see her taking at the end. Unless someone from Publisher's Clearing House paid her a visit.

• Love 3

A different kind of take on an ad that irritates and annoys me. The animated one with grandma and the bad knees that has to have granddaughter help her until she gets a knee brace. Grandma: "you'll have to come here and help me...pull my finger!" Ever since that occurred to me, I just laugh and laugh when I see the ad. And since I watch a lot of the cheap, antenna channels, I see it a lot.

• Love 7
(edited)
8 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Speaking of living within ones means, the teacher in those Booking.com commercials would probably not be able to afford the vacation we see her taking at the end. Unless someone from Publisher's Clearing House paid her a visit.

Speaking of Publishers Clearing House, I wonder if ditzy Maria-Elissa of Shoedazzle is A PCH or lottery winner and spent all her money on cheap pumps?

On 5/27/2017 at 8:50 AM, peacheslatour said:

This bothers me more than anything else about these commercials. That and the horrors of their lists of side effects, which may include but not be limited to, constipation, diarrhea, yeast infections (in women and men), depression, inability to fight certain infections, vision loss, hearing impairment, suicidal thoughts or actions, impaired judgement, impotence, weight gain, high blood pressure, low blood pressure, lightheadedness, double vision, and various conditions which lead to coma or death. No thanks, I think I'd rather just live with whatever you want to sell me these drugs for.

That's exactly what my 86-year-old Dad says! 

Edited by Intocats
I can't spell.
  • Love 5

Intocat, that looks like my dolls' shoe closets! I collect 16" fashion dolls, Barbie's younger, much larger and much more expensive sisters and there are some incredible doll shoemakers out there. I couldn't wear those things if I wanted to, tried when I was young and that's why I have so many problems with my feet now that I'm older! But I do love shoes, so my dolls get all those things. For me, I've started collecting canvas sneakers and slides and slippers, all flats. But there some really cute canvas sneakers out there, right now my favorites are polka dotted and a pair of embroidered denim slides.

• Love 2
On 5/26/2017 at 2:13 PM, muffkins said:

This commercial makes me want to kill something.  It is on every time I turn on the damn TV.

It is the worst.

I've never seen it before, but I feel like they're killing Sesame Street characters. Very strange choice.

• Love 3
(edited)
On ‎05‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 7:37 AM, absolutqt said:

Fuck you, University of Phoenix for using a Cranberries song in another one of your scamming, annoying ads.  I thought we were past the horror of that "Brain" ad and then they doubled down with "Dreams."  Someone, please make it stop.

I actually kind of like the idea of the commercial, if only it weren't for University of Phoenix.  And I do like the notion that it's automation pushing the woman out of her nice factory job.

On ‎05‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 2:45 PM, Brattinella said:

Yeah, there are a couple that I MIGHT take their nasty medicine for; MS or Crohn's, but NOT for psoriasis.

Would depend on how bad the psoriasis was, and how much it affected my life.  Plus, they're legal required to list every possible side effect regardless of how likely it is that any one person would actually experience any of them.

On ‎05‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 2:33 PM, Ohwell said:

Psoriasis, and especially arthritis, can be very debilitating.  I have friends who have days when they can barely walk due to the pain from arthritis; that level of pain would make me willing to discuss medication.  A disease or condition doesn't have to be life-threatening to make life awful.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 10
54 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Psoriasis, and especially arthritis, can be very debilitating.  I have friends who have days when they can barely walk due to the pain from arthritis; that level of pain would make me willing to discuss medication.  A disease or condition doesn't have to be life-threatening to make life awful.

I never said that psoriasis or arthritis weren't debilitating; I simply mentioned them as examples of illnesses that weren't life-threatening.  So to me, it's still not the same as having to take a prescription medication for cancer, for example, where you're afraid not to take the medicine because what you're dealing with is life-threatening--even though you're afraid of the potential side-effects.  I've been there, done that.

• Love 1

I find this Samsung dual washer whatever ad really annoying. It's got a song, and a little girl eating a super drippy ice cream cone while wearing rabbit face paint, and then a family dancing around a living room. There's nothing really especially vexing about the ad I suppose. However, it's been in just about every single commercial break during the French open so I am super massively sick of that song.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't think prescription drugs should be advertised at all.

I don't mind them being advertised on tv, but I really wish I didn't have to see the same 5 or 6 commercials a zillion times during one show.

• Love 1

I don't get the point of the washer with the mini drawer for small loads. For one thing, even my cheap-ass top loader has a sensor to measure the amount of water used based on how much stuff I put into one load so it's perfectly capable of doing small loads without some fancy extra drawer. For another thing, the dork who spilled coffee on himself and throws his shirt into the washer is apparently going to stand there and wait for it to go through the cycle instead of just going to the closet and picking out another shirt. Surely the fancy washer drawer isn't going to wash anything faster, let alone dry it. Maybe that's the only dress shirt the guys owns, but if he can afford the fancy, expensive washer with the special drawer for small loads he can damn well go buy a few more shirts.

• Love 12
(edited)

^yeah, I am waiting for the inventors to invent a machine that wash, dry, and fold the clothes, 3-in-1. lol

when you put the dirty clothes, the machine will do everything, and you just have to get the folded clothes at the end, after 1 to 2 hours hahahaha

Edited by piequinn35
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I thought the extra washer drawer was so you could do two loads at one time.

Yeah, I like this.  Sometimes I do a bigger load and wait to dry it until I do a smaller load after it and can dry them together.  This way I wouldn't have to wait.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, piequinn35 said:

^yeah, I am waiting for the inventors to invent a machine that wash, dry, and fold the clothes, 3-in-1. lol

when you put the dirty clothes, the machine will do everything, and you just have to get the folded clothes at the end, after 1 to 2 hours hahahaha

I've been watching reruns of "Lost in Space" and I want the washer they have. Put the dirty clothes in, push a couple buttons, wait a minute, and the clothes come out clean, folded, and in plastic bags.  Also, Hi. This is my first post after lurking for a long time. Finally decided to make an account. 

• Love 24
3 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

This guy clearly feels our pain. He's "real people"

The ad glosses over the fact that the only way to fit all that stuff in the car is to lose the rear seating. Some vehicles have a low cargo area and let you tuck things under where people are sitting, but this isn't one of them.

I thought the extra washer drawer was so you could do two loads at one time.

I'm not clear on whether you can do a small load in the special drawer and do a full load at the same time. But the guy in the commercial only needs to wash his shirt - there does not appear to be another, full load going at the same time, so he's not gaining anything by using the "special" drawer. Moreover, he stands there and dances around like a dork instead of . . . Oh, I don't know - going to work? I mean, I assume that's where he was headed before spilling coffee on himself, so I don't get the message here. It seems to be "when you're in a hurry and just need to wash one thing" but there's nothing to indicate the "special" washing drawer for small loads goes any faster than the regular washing drum. Not to mention, you know, drying time.

44 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I'm not clear on whether you can do a small load in the special drawer and do a full load at the same time.

Yes. And there's a companion dual dryer. It's actually kind of interesting, and it made me deeply grateful that I don't have that much laundry. However, I weep for the environment. 

https://news.samsung.com/us/samsung-unveils-laundry-game-changer-at-ces-2017-with-new-four-in-one-laundry-system-flexwash-flexdry/

On 6/1/2017 at 8:23 AM, QuinnInND said:

I've been watching reruns of "Lost in Space" and I want the washer they have. Put the dirty clothes in, push a couple buttons, wait a minute, and the clothes come out clean, folded, and in plastic bags.  Also, Hi. This is my first post after lurking for a long time. Finally decided to make an account. 

Welcome Quinninnd! I too have wondered when some appliance company will give us a dryer that (at least) folds towels, sheets!

• Love 2
(edited)

KPMG commercials (I've only seen these on CNN so far) where several CEOs or some kind of IMPORTANT BUSINESS PEOPLE are sitting around a (bar?) table with appetizers and discussing supposedly IMPORTANT BUSINESS MATTERS in incomprehensible IMPORTANT BUSINESS JARGON to a drum-heavy beat. MOST PRETENTIOUS COMMERCIALS EVER. I know I'm not their target market, but these smug people infuriate me.

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, kirinan said:

KPMG commercials (I've only seen these on CNN so far) where several CEOs or some kind of IMPORTANT BUSINESS PEOPLE are sitting around a (bar?) table with appetizers and discussing supposedly IMPORTANT BUSINESS MATTERS in incomprehensible IMPORTANT BUSINESS JARGON to a drum-heavy beat. MOST PRETENTIOUS COMMERCIALS EVER. I know I'm not their target market, but these smug people infuriate me.

That reminds me of the chick in the commercial that rides up on a polka dotted unicorn to tell the people that their profits are down and would they like to change that. The smugness levels causes my eyes to roll out of my head and under the couch.

• Love 5

OMG, I posted on Facebook that I thought that the "We're going to enjoy the crap out of it" ad was one of the stupidest ads out there right now, and the ACTOR replied to me!  He asked, "What, you didn't enjoy the crap out of my acting?"  I replied, "No."

• Love 9
3 hours ago, forumfish said:

Can we talk about the nightmare-inducing Monster.com commercial? The giant purple monster is kind a of cross between Grimace (McDonalds) and a furry Sesame Street/Muppets monster, except he has glowing orbs for eyes. At least I think they are eyes, but the thing really has no head. Just a small raised lump where the head should be.

I saw that for the first time today. It didn't really creep me out so much, but the first thing I thought when I saw the monster is that's what I thought Morlocks ought to look like.

• Love 2

The Ramones?  To advertise exercise bikes?  You fuck right off with that shit.

I know the time we live in I should get over the bastardization of good bands, but that one is beyond the pale.

• Love 11