Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

On 4/21/2017 at 0:48 AM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Speaking of annoying children, there's an ad where this urchin offers to sell some guy a cup of lemonade. He says he'd like one, and she pulls out some intricate bill where the cup will cost him something like two dollars, and he's like, "But your sign says it costs a quarter." She replies that there are taxes and fees, etc, etc, and finally he gets annoyed and leaves. I can't even remember what the commercial is for, that's how irritating it is.

If it was the real world and I had to deal with a real kid like this it would bug me. But I have to admit that it is pretty funny. Well written (all those additional charges) and that little girl has a great delivery.

• Love 6

Many older people find that taking care of a house is too much, and would be happier in a small facility with planned activities and shuttle services. 

Anyone who tries to put me some place with "planned activities" is going to find out just what plans I have for them! 

Sunsetter Awnings, yeah probably too much money for me to consider, but this house faces due west and summer in Oklahoma is miserable, the rooms in the front of the house become unbearable, I think I am going to put window awnings on the bedroom windows. There used to be a big tree in the front yard, it was destroyed by a storm, I think there will be a couple of new small trees in the front yard later this year. I forgot, one of my big irritations with Sunsetter Awnings, is the twit who says something about their friends think they spent soooo much money. I never give a fig about how much my friends think I spent on something, if that's all they think about, they're not worth much as friends, but I guess I'm just not that into impressing people with money spent, I don't do designer clothes, shoes or bags either. I'm rather the opposite, I love shopping second hand shops, thrift shops, flea markets and am much more likely to brag how little I paid for something!

New complaint, those ads that are insurance like scams for auto repairs. One of them, TOCO has a man and a woman alternately reading lines. The woman's "900 dollars!" delivery sounds like a politician reading an Easter Bunny story at a White House Easter Egg Roll when they've never even heard of children, let alone read to one.

And Been Verified, I'm kind of opposed to people just paying a fee and learning all of my secrets, but on the other hand...maybe I will to find out about that s**t that dumped me years ago, I understand Brenda divorced him! bwahahahah! But in the ad, why do they have to promote bad grammar? "Me and my single girls..." ACCCKKKKKK! She irritates me as much as the identity protection one, "I was scared".

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 5

Brattinella, I've been researching them, I'd love to find the old plastic ones precisely because of all the wind, it really doesn't come "sweeping down the plain", it blows full gale force! I'm still investigating, I'm just not sure the cloth ones I find will stand up to the wind, even $40-$50 may be too much if they have to be replaced every few months.

• Love 2
On 4/22/2017 at 0:59 PM, chenoa333 said:

Here's a commercial that makes no damn sense as far as it's correlation to the product: teenage boy sitting in the bathroom on a toilet with the lid down (he is just using the toilet for a seat, not for it's actual purpose) having a talk with his dad about how heartbroken he is cause he just got dumped (no pun intended) by his girlfriend. And lo and behold....it's a commercial for toilet paper. What?huh? 

There are stressing that their product is both strong and soft.

On 4/21/2017 at 8:23 PM, chenoa333 said:

My apologies. I thought Joan Lunden was a lot older. But nevertheless, it's still a commercial that reeks of disrespect for the elderly and greed from the people who own "a place for mom". And where is "dad"? Are we to assume he's already dead because "statistics" show women outlive men? Or maybe dad still gets to live at home with the adult children so they can convince dad to sign everything in his will over to them. Lol! 

Every time I see this commercial I hear my mother's voice (died in 2005, RIP): "A place for Mom, huh? Stick that up your a**!"

• Love 13
32 minutes ago, Intocats said:

Every time I see this commercial I hear my mother's voice (died in 2005, RIP): "A place for Mom, huh? Stick that up your a**!"

So sorry for the loss of your mom but damn she was funny! What a beautiful, witty woman. You're very lucky to have had her for your mom!

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

So sorry for the loss of your mom but damn she was funny! What a beautiful, witty woman. You're very lucky to have had her for your mom!

Thank you, Chenoa333....she certainly was! Funnier than Howard Stern and ten times as attractive. She was one of a kind! ❤️

• Love 10
On 4/4/2017 at 1:21 AM, Hyacinth B said:

And I really feel sorry for the poor guys in the Detail Shop who have to clean up those cars they just traded in. Bet those seats have a unique layering of textures and aromas that will have to be steamed out.

Right?  After their second baby showed up, I was over that commercial.  Sometimes less is more. 

• Love 4
On 4/22/2017 at 0:10 AM, legaleagle53 said:

Walmart's hypocrisy is showing when it humble-brags about doing charitable work to feed people in need when its own employees are paid so poorly that they themselves need public assistance just to survive.

Employers are required by law to pay everyone fairly. If some of their employees are trying to do things that they shouldn't while earning an entry-level salary, like raise a family, they need to rely on organizations that can factor in "need",  government and charities. If Walmart is donating to charities that provide that type of assistance, they're addressing the issue in a way as effective and legal as they can. 

• Love 4
On 4/20/2017 at 9:48 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Speaking of annoying children, there's an ad where this urchin offers to sell some guy a cup of lemonade. He says he'd like one, and she pulls out some intricate bill where the cup will cost him something like two dollars, and he's like, "But your sign says it costs a quarter." She replies that there are taxes and fees, etc, etc, and finally he gets annoyed and leaves. I can't even remember what the commercial is for, that's how irritating it is.

That kid is a terrible actress.  The way she read the list of surcharges makes it sounds like she herself is surprised and outraged.

On 4/21/2017 at 11:41 AM, iMonrey said:

I also hate the Snickers commercial where the guy running the teleprompter has fallen asleep so the anchors stare into the camera and go "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa." What are they, robots? Like they would just read "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" because that's what's on the teleprompter? 

That commercial is ridiculous.  I loathe it. 

• Love 1

It's the timing that's caused outrage for this Ford ad: http://www.sfgate.com/giants/article/Ford-runs-MadBum-day-off-ad-annoying-Giants-11094744.php

"What Madison Bumgarner does on his day off is anyone's guess," the narrator says in the ad, which first aired in 2016. But, in addition to pulling chained logs around with his Ford-150, there are also brief clips of muddy dirt biking, including a few riders jumping over MadBum's splattered pickup.

On Twitter, irked Giants fans volunteered that they knew only too well what Bumgarner does on his day off — and were not happy about it.

Seems he'll be out for six to eight weeks with an injury he got - from dirt-biking on his day off. Way to rub it in, Ford ad schedulers.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Employers are required by law to pay everyone fairly. If some of their employees are trying to do things that they shouldn't while earning an entry-level salary, like raise a family, they need to rely on organizations that can factor in "need",  government and charities. If Walmart is donating to charities that provide that type of assistance, they're addressing the issue in a way as effective and legal as they can. 

You ended your sentence too soon.  You should have ended it with can get away with.

• Love 19

Employers are required by law to pay everyone fairly.

Employers are required by law to pay at least minimum wage. Whether or not minimum wage is "fair" is a different topic.

• Love 16
28 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Employers are required by law to pay at least minimum wage. Whether or not minimum wage is "fair" is a different topic.

If they weren't offering a fair wage they couldn't get employees. The problem comes when you have a surplus of workers capable of doing/earning more with no positions to match. Businesses can't adjust to the fluctuations of the economy and labor market, so people may sometimes have to settle for a lesser position and wage (aka being "underemployed").

• Love 3

I was watching The Jeffersons on TVOne in the wee hours last night/this morning and that damn "University" of Phoenix 'If I Only Had A Brain' commercial came on. It seems like it goes away for months at a time then pops back up again. It's either that or I don't watch the channels it's on all the time that frequently.

• Love 4
On 4/22/2017 at 4:29 PM, smittykins said:

"I want to drive a hybrid car but I'm not sure it's for me

I don't eat kale and I've never hugged a tree 

I want to drive a hybrid car but I'm not sure it's for me

Lawnmower engine, no cargo room and crappy battery..."

Somehow, I'm not feeling the sympathy here.

And now there's a new one that starts out with the lumberjack singing "I just bought a hybrid ca-" - that's where I hit the mute.

How long have hybrids been around now? Sheesh.

• Love 3
On 4/14/2017 at 0:22 PM, OSM Mom said:

I saw the same warning on a curling iron.  Not to mention one that said "for external use only" to which I want to scream "Which one of you sick people made that necessary!!" 

Anyone remember that old show "Fight Back"? They used to have a segment with viewer questions, which were frequently about warning labels, odd ingredients listed on packaged foods, etc. One letter was about the tag that read "do not sleep with curling iron on." The letter writer was like, "what the heck?" and they explained that people would use the curling iron as an ersatz space heater, which would start fires. I felt bad for those who felt the need to do that  (not enough money for heat) but the visual "Fight Back" used--of a woman in bed, curling her hair in her sleep, as the question was read--still cracks me up.

On 4/24/2017 at 1:24 AM, TDT said:

That Subway Italian Hero commercial..seemed like they used every Italian neighborhood-themed movie stereotype in the book

It's just missing Tony Danza (playing Tony Manza) saying "Ay oh! Oh ay!"

• Love 5
On 4/21/2017 at 5:54 AM, mojoween said:

Disclosure - I use Verizon for phone and TV and while their landline coverage I had back in the day made me think their company was Satan, whatever they have done since has made my opinion completely turn around and I love my cell and my internet and my DVR.  So this could be coloring my opinion, but I hate those Sprint ads.

First off, Can You Hear Me Now guy, no one would care who you are if you didn't make buckets of money from Verizon.  So shilling for Sprint now and bagging on Verizon makes you look like a jerk.  Don't bite the hand that fed you dude.

Second, doing a Sprint ad with the mic drop just after the one Tom Middleditch did for Verizon makes your ad company look lazy and unoriginal.  Have your own thoughts and maybe I'll pay attention to you.

Exactly!  It's like the guy broke up with his fiance and now he's trashing her to anyone that will listen.  Ungrateful ass.  Plus, I find Tom Middleditch beyond adorkable.  Mr. ex-CanYouHearMeNow?  Not so much.

• Love 5

I really hate the Prudential commercials where the guy talks about how if people would only just save more money now they'd be more prepared for retirement.  If people aren't saving enough it's probably because they're not paid enough.

• Love 10

The commercial for the car where the couple keeps fooling around in a car and has to update their vehicle because they have another kid drives me bonkers (sorry bad pun.) I feel like saying get a room, use birth control or both.

The jewelry that that woman in the Trulicity ad is making out of rocks is as ugly as hell.

I'm always amused that she has to DRAW a picture of the necklace first and then she finds perfectly matched & polished rocks JUST like in her drawing!!

• Love 5

Sonic has a new thing called Custard Concrete. Mmmmm doesn't that just sound yummy?

In the UK, there's a popular sweet called chocolate concrete. Sounds like something that would send you to the dentist's chair for multiple reasons, but I hear it's really yummy.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Sonic has a new thing called Custard Concrete. Mmmmm doesn't that just sound yummy?

"A spoonable frozen treat made with smooth & creamy Vanilla custard, mixed with your favorite Heath bar pieces." There are six varieties. It sounds good to me! But isn't frozen custard the same as ice cream? 

2 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

After kid 2, I yell at them to get a minivan. Of course they can't because VW doesn't sell one. 

Plus they can't hear you.

• Love 3
Just now, ennui said:

"A spoonable frozen treat made with smooth & creamy Vanilla custard, mixed with your favorite Heath bar pieces." There are six varieties. It sounds good to me! But isn't frozen custard the same as ice cream? 

No, it's supposedly eggier than ice cream. I love custard but some people don't like frozen custard. I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference. I just know that if I was naming a dessert, concrete is not the word I would choose to have it associated with in peoples minds. YMMV.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

if I was naming a dessert, concrete is not the word I would choose

Mississippi Mud Cake is a popular dessert. Rocky Road ice cream?  Maybe Sonic is trying to be edgy.  :)

• Love 7

Someone loathe this with me. I think it's a Clear Blue Easy pregnancy test. It has three different people telling others they're pregnant. The first is a woman telling her parents, they hug and the mother says "I'm so happy." The second is a woman telling her friends. The third is a woman telling her significant other ... What drives me nuts (other than Hulu playing it a billion times an hour), is the second girl. Most of her friends reactions seem relatively normal, but one woman completely over reacts and is, like, "Oh My Gawwwd!" ... and she has the biggest frickin' overbite I've ever seen! It's crazy!

I also hate the match.com ad ... "my sister met her ... husband on match" "so she's living happily ever after" ... Fuck you, no one lives happily ever after! grrr ... get off my lawn! 

• Love 10
48 minutes ago, OrigamiNightmare said:

Someone loathe this with me. I think it's a Clear Blue Easy pregnancy test. It has three different people telling others they're pregnant. The first is a woman telling her parents, they hug and the mother says "I'm so happy." The second is a woman telling her friends. The third is a woman telling her significant other ... What drives me nuts (other than Hulu playing it a billion times an hour), is the second girl. Most of her friends reactions seem relatively normal, but one woman completely over reacts and is, like, "Oh My Gawwwd!" ... and she has the biggest frickin' overbite I've ever seen! It's crazy!

I also hate the match.com ad ... "my sister met her ... husband on match" "so she's living happily ever after" ... Fuck you, no one lives happily ever after! grrr ... get off my lawn! 

I agree with your loathing of the Clear Blue Easy ad.  I also wonder why they don't have a realistic reaction to the test "oh, NOOOOOOOOO!"

• Love 11
On 4/25/2017 at 8:41 PM, bigskygirl said:

The commercial for the car where the couple keeps fooling around in a car and has to update their vehicle because they have another kid drives me bonkers (sorry bad pun.) I feel like saying get a room, use birth control or both.

The first time I saw it, the thing that annoyed me the most is that the newest baby was clearly a doll. Not even a realistically sized one at that. But now they play it almost every commercial break during the NBA and Stanley Cup playoffs, I absolutely despise it! Also, now I can't listen to other Dean Martin songs without thinking about the one they use in the commercial, and I love me some Dean Martin.

• Love 3

I'm quickly coming to hate the KIA commercial where the non-KIA car drives over the rubber duckies (because it doesn't have.. whatever. back-up camera? some other safety feature?).

I have to dive for the mute button every time it comes on because my dog goes bonkers over the squeaky noise the duckies make because it sounds like one of his toys.

Knock it off, KIA.

• Love 2

I despise the Lowe's commercial with the kid who just dumps his clothes on top of the washer and walks away. His mother's solution to his laziness? She buys a new washer that's easier to use! Because showing him how to use the existing appliance is such monkey business.

• Love 22
On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 9:43 AM, Ohwell said:

I hate that Home Goods commercial about "pancake Sunday," and the little girl harasses the guy in the neighboring apartment, until he finally relents and joins the rest of the people.  The guy clearly doesn't want any goddamn pancakes and he's much nicer to that kid than I would be.

Why are they making pancakes for everyone every Sunday?

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

Why are they making pancakes for everyone every Sunday?

Because they are living right?

(I haven't seen the commercial, but pancakes every Sunday sounds delightful.)

• Love 6