Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I used to think that some of the GEICO commercials were funny, but I'm sick of seeing a new commercial every other day.  There are just too many of them now.  I would love to know what their advertising budget is.  

Probably enough that their policy holders could enjoy a reduction in their premiums if they cut the commercials in half, likewise with the pharmaceutical commercials and the cost of drugs.

• Love 15
7 hours ago, configdotsys said:

While I'm on a rant: there's this lottery commercial here where a guy won a thousand dollars a day or something and spends an afternoon standing the couch up and rearranging furniture and books to make a clubhouse in the living room for his kid. The quote about what you'd do if you won the money said "Spend more time with my kids." Meanwhile, this ridiculous monstrosity in the living room probably took 10 hours to do and it's hard to believe the kid hadn't come out of his room in all that time while it was being built. Also, if you want to spend more time with your kid, how about building something together? I just think the whole commercial is stupid.

I saw a version with a woman who won the $1K per day lottery and sang about how she was spending all of it every day. How about putting some away for later?

• Love 4

I also had a health emergency (sepsis) and my two doctors (an internist and a vascular surgeon) told my husband that if we'd waited another 12 hours, I'd be dead. Spent 4 days in ICU and ten days in the hospital. Another 6-7 months recovering at home having multiple checkups with both doctors. It does happen occasionally. 

• Love 3
On 3/2/2017 at 8:44 PM, novhappy said:

Also can anyone make the Credit score services ads just stop? Particularly The one where the girl says scores don't change cuz she hasn't changed but her friend is like what? They show a flashback to her wearing a couple different outfits that apparently her friend doesn't like to illustrate how she's changed. 

So first of all changing your clothes indicates exactly what about one's life? And clothes have nothing to do with credit scores.

very very stupid commercial

The one where the brain trust tosses her friend's phone into the fountain is worse, although they are all pretty bad.

Only exception (to me) is the girl living with her folks, and meeting her dad in the hallway wearing the same shirts. Dad: "Well, I'm not changing." 

• Love 5

The Burger King croissantwich commercial with the stupid lady speaking English in the fake French accent and acting like it's really French is really pissing me off.

Runner up at the moment goes to the stupid "protein protein protein" yogurt commercial. SHUT UP!!!

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Spartan Girl said:

The Burger King croissantwich commercial with the stupid lady speaking English in the fake French accent and acting like it's really French is really pissing me off.

The joke's on her.  Croissants were invented in Austria.

• Love 13
12 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

I am beyond tired of those fake focus group ads for Chevy.

Same here.  They have one playing now where the guy shows them the "special edition" pickup.  Then he said "Did I say one, there are 5 special edition" pickups.  To which I always reply "I guess it's not so fucking special after all, is it?"

• Love 13
1 minute ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Maybe she's pretending she's Alex Trebek. 

Except that Alex is Canadian, so he would naturally be fluent in French (since it's an official language there and therefore mandatory in schools) and speak it the way he was taught to speak it  -- with a proper French accent.

(edited)

Same here.  They have one playing now where the guy shows them the "special edition" pickup.  Then he said "Did I say one, there are 5 special edition" pickups.  To which I always reply "I guess it's not so fucking special after all, is it?"

If I see one more effing Chevy "focus group" ad on TV, I might go full Elvis. As it is, I was actually dissuaded from looking at Chevy when I was buying a new car, in part because their ads were so obnoxious that I refused to give them any money.

Edited by BabyVegas
  • Love 10
10 hours ago, Moose135 said:

This is me when I'm stuck watching that commercials. How can there be 5 special editions? Do they not understand what special edition means. Or is it we're so special we need 5 special editions because we are just that special. GAH, so annoying! And now the stupid Chevy commercial where they have to read all the so-called awards that Chevy has won. Oh, just STFU. If you're so smart and won so many awards, how do you not know what special edition means?!

• Love 7
(edited)
11 hours ago, BabyVegas said:

If I see one more effing Chevy "focus group" ad on TV, I might go full Elvis. As it is, I was actually dissuaded from looking at Chevy when I was buying a new car, in part because their ads were so obnoxious that I refused to give them any money.

OMG, I'm in the exact same boat. I'm buying a new car this month, and I was looking at a list of different car makes to see what I might be initially interested in, and I had an actual revulsion to Chevy when I got it, lol. And then I told myself I'm being silly to reject an entire car brand out of hand because I find their current commercials INSANELY annoying, and I did go to the website to see what they had in my price range. And then I saw the commercial where the one guy literally drops to his knees and hugs one of the trucks. Chevy's off the list, lolololololol.

Edited by mattie0808
  • Love 8
On 3/5/2017 at 8:51 AM, Ubiquitous said:

Isn't the dental hygienist technically a "dental monitor"? That bugs me.

Yes, and if you hire ADT or the "I can't get up" company, all they do is monitor; they leave actually doing something to people who specialize in it, like cops and EMT's. The ad doesn't explain why their business should be any different.

4 hours ago, frenchtoast said:

And now the stupid Chevy commercial where they have to read all the so-called awards that Chevy has won.

If that's the ad I think it is, they don't say that the ads are for 1st place, and they mention it's JD Power, which is very good at creating whatever categories are necessary so that practically every car can get an award. If Chevy got the most awards it's because they've broken down their offerings into the most models.

• Love 2

And then I saw the commercial where the one guy literally drops to his knees and hugs one of the trucks. Chevy's off the list, lolololololol

Arrggghhh! I hate that! I seriously feel like going all Elvis every time I'm unfortunate enough to catch it.

• Love 1

I thought the guy with the big ole cavity is already set up with the equipment they use when they're going to fill a cavity (the mouthguard, that spit sucking thing, he even sounds like he may have had some anesthetic).  I've never had that setup when I was in just for a cleaning/checkup but then my dentist is sort of old fashioned.

• Love 2

It's too bad, Chevy actually makes some decent cars. Consumer Reports liked the Cruze better than the Toyota/Honda in that segment. But I agree, those ads are seriously annoying

But...I think the Life Alert Dead Grandma is my current winner of the "how fast can I change the channel? Not fast enough" award. That and Sad Abused Doggies

• Love 5
19 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I'm not sure I've seen the exact ad you're talking about, and am not familiar with what special editions are in the works, but my understanding a of "special edition" car usually just means the manufacturer only plans to make some limited number with the exact specifications. So, regular editions, they'll just keep making them if people are buying them (or you can order it in whatever configuration you want). Whereas a special edition means "we're making exactly 200 purple, manual, whatevermobiles, with 16 usb ports, and back row seats that'll sing your kid to sleep" or whatever mashup of features it is. I'm exaggerating on purpose. So, if there are five special editions, that's not necessarily unspecial, it just means the combination of stuff that's being offered in a limited amount has five different varieties.

• Love 2

And how about the Candace Cameron Bure tuna commercial? The combinations sound abhorrent to me and the way she says "And just go!". Stupidest commercial ever. What ad agency thought that was a good idea?!

• Love 3
(edited)

I miss commercials so don't come here often (DVR most).  May have been said but I am INFURIATED!! with the cancer adds. BALIATIC!  

My name is Tony.......  Every fucking 15 minutes I see this add and the woman who talks through a tube with a grated voice and hideous deformity from cancer surgery.  Jesus fucking Christ!  ENOUGH!!  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 5
16 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I miss commercials so don't come here often (DVR most).  May have been said but I am INFURIATED!! with the cancer adds. BALIATIC!  

My name is Tony.......  Every fucking 15 minutes I see this add and the woman who talks through a tube with a grated voice and hideous deformity from cancer surgery.  Jesus fucking Christ!  ENOUGH!!  

Once they eliminated the prohibition on prescription meds and legal services, the floodgates opened up.

I can't stand any of them.  Are they too dumb to realize that when they chant all the disclaimers (do not take if you are a sentient human being; may cause death) most of us run screaming for the hills?

I understand the AMA and other groups want them banned as well.  This BS with "ask your doctor about the benefits of Kryptonite..." must drive physicians crazy.

Lemme think who's paying for all these ads, which are on all the time.  Duh?

• Love 6

Has anyone seen the new Honda commercial for its hydrogen-powered car, the Clarity?  It shows multitudes of disembodied children's heads floating around space! and they're singing Fleetwood Mac ("Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow")!  It is SO CREEPY!  I'll try to attach it here; apologies if this doesn't work.

https://ispot.tv/a/AvwN

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, TeapotDiva said:

Has anyone seen the new Honda commercial for its hydrogen-powered car, the Clarity?  It shows multitudes of disembodied children's heads floating around space! and they're singing Fleetwood Mac ("Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow")!  It is SO CREEPY!  I'll try to attach it here; apologies if this doesn't work.

Ewwwww...yes!  The stuff of nightmares.

ETA: shades of The Wizard of Oz and Zardoz. (shiver)

• Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Once they eliminated the prohibition on prescription meds and legal services, the floodgates opened up.

I can't stand any of them.  Are they too dumb to realize that when they chant all the disclaimers (do not take if you are a sentient human being; may cause death) most of us run screaming for the hills?

I understand the AMA and other groups want them banned as well.  This BS with "ask your doctor about the benefits of Kryptonite..." must drive physicians crazy.

Lemme think who's paying for all these ads, which are on all the time.  Duh?

I am talking about the ads that say quit smoking or ask your congressman to do whatever to not repeal Obamacare.  Stop with putting cancer in peoples minds as a given!  Way to go to create that within yourself to constantly hear it is as an inevitable fact.  Yeah Obama care needs to stay but stop using cancer to get the point across. Your fear ads on cancer are terrible. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, wings707 said:

No.  I am talking about the ads that say quit smoking or ask your congressman to do whatever to not repeal Obamacare.  Stop with putting cancer in peoples minds as a given!  Way to go to create that within yourself to constantly hear it is and inevitable fact!  Yeah Obama care is flawed, not the fucking point of your fear ads, you negative dick wads! 

I have to laugh at the people who want to repeal "Obamacare" because they are covered by ACA.  Ummm...

• Love 23
9 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

I have to laugh at the people who want to repeal "Obamacare" because they are covered by ACA.  Ummm...

They are precious.  God bless them.  Hand me my rifle.  That works well. 

• Love 10
15 minutes ago, wings707 said:

They are precious.  God bless them.  Hand me my rifle.  That works well. 

At the risk of getting a stern warning from the mods - does Obamacare cover toenail fungus?

• Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Yes, and if you hire ADT or the "I can't get up" company, all they do is monitor; they leave actually doing something to people who specialize in it, like cops and EMT's. The ad doesn't explain why their business should be any different.

Well, in the "dental monitor" one, if I recall correctly, it sounds like they don't just call the cops, they also work to get your stuff back or somesuch.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 1

They'll pay UP TO A MILLION dollars to set your credit/identity right again.

ACA even covers *pre-existing* toenail fungus. Bwaaahahahaha.  (Years ago, BC/BS denied my bunion surgery because, apparently, I was born with feet.)

I love my Honda, but, jeez, Zardoz is right. All that's missing is Sean Connery in a long braid and loin cloth.  (Hmmm...may have to re-watch Zardoz)

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I love my Honda, but, jeez, Zardoz is right. All that's missing is Sean Connery in a long braid and loin cloth.  (Hmmm...may have to re-watch Zardoz)

Why are heads nice when they're attached to bodies, but terrifying when they're floating around unattached?  Attention MadMen:  stop it!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, TeapotDiva said:

Well no sleep for me tonight!

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, OSM Mom said:

Those ads for the steam nasal cleaners! Ack!! Those gross me out so much.  Ugh. 

My husband asked me how the nasal cleaner gets cleaned. Blech!  

Toenail fungus can be gotten rid of by rubbing Vicks Vapor Rub to the nail. 

Hate the hotel chain that shows an office meeting going on and they're talking about a new slogan. Bad-a-bing, book a room--or something like that. Stupid. 

Edited by Ilovecomputers
  • Love 6
26 minutes ago, Ilovecomputers said:

Toenail fungus can be gotten rid of by rubbing Vicks Vapor Rub to the nail. 

If you have a toenail fungus that can be eradicated that easily, thank your lucky stars.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

My husband asked me how the nasal cleaner gets cleaned. Blech!  

There was apparently a real problem with them years ago causing mold to grow in them that got into your brain if you inhaled them.

• Love 5
(edited)
17 hours ago, wings707 said:

Every fucking 15 minutes I see this add and the woman who talks through a tube with a grated voice and hideous deformity from cancer surgery.  Jesus fucking Christ!  ENOUGH!!  

I think this one may be the anti-smoking commercial, and personally, if it gets one person to stop smoking (or keeps them from starting), they can run it a thousand times a day on my tv and I'd be alright with it.

Edited to note that my dad died of cancer which may have been related to his having smoked from the time he was 8 or 9 until he was in his sixties, so I do take this one more personally than most people would.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 6
Just now, wings707 said:

I am talking about the ads that say quit smoking or ask your congressman to do whatever to not repeal Obamacare.  Stop with putting cancer in peoples minds as a given!  Way to go to create that within yourself to constantly hear it is as an inevitable fact.  Yeah Obama care needs to stay but stop using cancer to get the point across. Your fear ads on cancer are terrible. 

That reminds me - there's a new anti-smoking ad where a young woman appears to be at a party, and she's in the bathroom about to light a cigarette. Suddenly, what I guess is supposed to be her future self bursts into the room and tells her not to do it, that if she lights that cigarette she'll become addicted to smoking and it will ruin her life.

First off, dial it back a notch, Sally Struthers. Yes, smoking is bad for you, and yes it is very difficult to quit. I should know, I tried more than once before I stopped, but good Lord. Its like those shows when somebody tries something once and within five minutes is a hopeless junkie living on the streets. What if she lights it and decides she never wants to smoke again? For those of you who remember that first puff off a cigarette, was it an awesome experience that you wanted to try over and over?

• Love 8
59 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I think this one may be the anti-smoking commercial, and personally, if it gets one person to stop smoking (or keeps them from starting), they can run it a thousand times a day on my tv and I'd be alright with it.

Edited to note that my dad died of cancer which may have been related to his having smoked from the time he was 8 or 9 until he was in his sixties, so I do take this one more personally than most people would.

My mother died of lung cancer and they do run it 1000 times a day!  

• Love 3