Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I can't find the reasoning behind the Old Navy t-shirt because it seems to no longer be on Old Navy's web site and there's no mention of it on their Facebook page.

However, the statistics say that a third of U.S. kids live without a father, and for black kids--the model appeared to be black--that number jumps to over two thirds.

I grew up without a father. My mother remarried when I was 17, and I wouldn't buy or wear the shirt because I feel it would be disrespectful to my (step)dad who stepped up and became my dad, but that doesn't mean it isn't valid for the millions and millions of women--my mother and sisters and many generations of women in my family included--who have been and are raising children without a father around.

I'm curious as to why it wasn't made as a woman's shirt.

Observation - Father's Day is supposed to be about the fathers who actually show up and make an effort, not the ones who couldn't be bothered to give a damn. Why must everything be focused on the failures of men to actually be men instead of shirking their responsibilities? If absentee dads suck so much, we should honor the guys who care enough to stick around without bringing however many don't into it.

• Love 19
4 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Observation - Father's Day is supposed to be about the fathers who actually show up and make an effort, not the ones who couldn't be bothered to give a damn. Why must everything be focused on the failures of men to actually be men instead of shirking their responsibilities? If absentee dads suck so much, we should honor the guys who care enough to stick around without bringing however many don't into it.

I don't disagree, which is why I said I wouldn't disrespect my dad by wearing such a shirt. I tell him all the time how much I love and appreciate him and how I wish he had been my father from day one.

Without knowing the reason for the shirt's message, I can only guess it was to recognize those women who have raised and/or are raising kids without the childrens' fathers, for whatever reason. That's just my guess. I'd love to know Old Navy's motivation, but it doesn't look like that's going to be revealed.

• Love 1

Well, some Yogurt Bitch has spawned and now there is a Yogurt Bitchette*.  The Dad finds the young daughter raiding the fridge at night for a yogurt and yada yada yada she tells him "Mom is in charge/boss of the house".

*I feel bad wanting to call a child a bitch, but ...

• Love 5
6 hours ago, DeLurker said:

Well, some Yogurt Bitch has spawned and now there is a Yogurt Bitchette*.  The Dad finds the young daughter raiding the fridge at night for a yogurt and yada yada yada she tells him "Mom is in charge/boss of the house".

*I feel bad wanting to call a child a bitch, but ...

If we don't acknowledge the problem we'll just grow up with a new generation of Yogurt Bitches.  Best to nip it in the bud.

I'm gonna take my blood pressure medication so I won't rage stroke if someone posts a link to the offending commercial.

• Love 7
On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 9:02 PM, Rick Kitchen said:

Why does Old Navy think it's appropriate to try to make Father's Day about women?

old-navy-fathers-day-t-shirt.jpg

I cannot decipher the meaning.  My first thought was the guy is saying "it's supposed to be about me, but she ends up getting what SHE wants".  Maybe saying that on Father's day, he wants to watch TV and drink beer, but "SHE"  decides we're going out to a nice brunch, or dressing up and going to church. 

Maybe they meant something else, but that would be my take, based on my experience in my family.

• Love 3

I have very light eyelashes - think Sissy Spacek.  Without help, my eyelashes are more or less invisible and my eyes are not noticeable.  So, I've been using mascara pretty much daily for decades.   And the biggest issue I've had is that mascara often clumps, leaving me with a smudged, clunky messy look.  

So NOW, Maybelline decides that the clumpy, messy "Chaotic"  look is what we want:

Introducing Colossal Chaotic Lash mascara with a breakthrough teaser brush for deliberately disorganized lashes, a perfectly sexy mess.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, backformore said:

I have very light eyelashes - think Sissy Spacek.  Without help, my eyelashes are more or less invisible and my eyes are not noticeable.  So, I've been using mascara pretty much daily for decades.   And the biggest issue I've had is that mascara often clumps, leaving me with a smudged, clunky messy look.  

So NOW, Maybelline decides that the clumpy, messy "Chaotic"  look is what we want:

Not only THAT, but the model in the ad is wearing at LEAST two if not more sets of thick false eyelashes and eyelash inserts.  GAWD I hate mascara manufacturers!

• Love 7
6 hours ago, backformore said:

I cannot decipher the meaning.  My first thought was the guy is saying "it's supposed to be about me, but she ends up getting what SHE wants".  Maybe saying that on Father's day, he wants to watch TV and drink beer, but "SHE"  decides we're going out to a nice brunch, or dressing up and going to church. 

Maybe they meant something else, but that would be my take, based on my experience in my family.

I thought the same thing, the whole "happy wife, happy life" mentality.  At any rate, it was a crappy t-shirt and Old Navy was right to pull it.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, backformore said:

Actually it's brilliant in terms of marketing. "Hey, we know our crappy mascara clumps like shit, but it's totally a look!"

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Amethyst said:

I thought the same thing, the whole "happy wife, happy life" mentality.  At any rate, it was a crappy t-shirt and Old Navy was right to pull it.

Did they? Good.

"30 Rock" ended three years ago. Why are we being subjected to commercials that feature Jack McBrayer and Jane Krakowski? Is it because Jane is on Broadway now? I can't even tell you what they're selling. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Actually it's brilliant in terms of marketing. "Hey, we know our crappy mascara clumps like shit, but it's totally a look!"

I  bet she's wearing chocolate diamonds too.

• Love 7

Sigh.  Another day, another groan-worthy entitled customer.  This time, from BMO Harris Bank.

Nothing wrong with wanting friendly customer service, particularly when you're face to face.  But there's a limit to what customers should demand, especially when this condescending asshole isn't the teller's only customer that day.  Friendliness is apparently not enough, now they have to really mean it, not the it-came-from-a-script variety.  Ugh.  

• Love 3

I don't even want to link it, but I keep seeing some ridiculous IKEA commercial where the entire family is taking photos of dinner.  That's bad enough, but then they're going g on and on about how many likes they got, how the photos are "trending", and how the rump roast "broke the internet".  Really?  Are there thousands, millions of people in front of their computers waiting to see what you are having for dinner?  So many that it happens within moments of putting the food on the table?    Really. Shut up, you Damn assholes.  Put your cameras down and eat your damn dinner.

• Love 13
5 hours ago, ennui said:

And now girls want to look like they slept in their makeup? 

I worked on the first go-round storyboards of Chaotic and that was exactly the concept!  This was maybe 5 or 6 years ago...that's how long it takes.  Anyway, Chaotic is actually a good mascara and you don't have to mess them up if you don't want to.  I tried it both ways...I looked slightly insane when I made lash chaos.  I mean, it's a look I guess LOL.

• Love 4
(edited)

There's an AT&T commercial where a family goes batshit crazy after something like six, then ten, then fifteen minutes without internet service.  Mind you not one of these people is seeking to use their internet access for something crucial, or even timely.

I'm all for having quality and consistent internet access since I pay a nice chunk of monthly change, but I also understand shit happens from time to time.  Presenting a parade of losers who are unable to cope because internet access is down for a few minutes is not something that draws me to AT&T -- in fact, it makes me embarrassed I have U-Verse. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 8
On June 9, 2016 at 1:05 PM, DeLurker said:

HAL:  Ennui, your consumption of the major food groups is skewed.  Initiating self-locking protocol for dairy, frozen dairy, kitchenwide carbohydrates and sodium. 

When SPEW* has reported optimal dietary stasis has been achieved, lock down will be lifted. 

*Smart Phone Embedded Widget (implanted in your body).

On June 9, 2016 at 4:50 PM, ennui said:

Easily foiled. I'll remove the broccoli, and the smart refrigerator will think I ate it.  Mwwwuuuuaaahahahaha!

Not so fast, ennui, you still have to fool the SPEW (Smart Phone Embedded Widget (implanted in your body)).

• Love 4
17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Isn't this the Rimmel Look?

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Sigh.  Another day, another groan-worthy entitled customer.  This time, from BMO Harris Bank.

Nothing wrong with wanting friendly customer service, particularly when you're face to face.  But there's a limit to what customers should demand, especially when this condescending asshole isn't the teller's only customer that day.  Friendliness is apparently not enough, now they have to really mean it, not the it-came-from-a-script variety.  Ugh.  

This lady is the worst sort of customer.....there is probably a mile long line of people waiting, but she wants to interrogate the teller about some script.  Bitch, you are not that special of a snowflake, and you two are not friends, why do you care if she is reading from a script or not.  Handle your business and keep it moving.  This is exactly the sort that is probably going to ask about 10 other stupid ass questions and try to carry on a full conversation, because of course the teller must care, and we all must be so enchanted by her exciting stories and witty observational humor.

• Love 8

Those damn Subaru Summer ads started again.  Thank goodness I'm quick on the draw with my remote's mute button.  There is a special place in Hell for the jingle writers who cause so many aural atrocities.

I am convinced the woman who does the voice over for Panera's "clean" salads and the woman who sings that infernal Wizard of Oz rip off song for University of Phoenix are the same person. Her smug, vocal-fry voice just makes me want to spit nails. 

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

Those damn Subaru Summer ads started again.  Thank goodness I'm quick on the draw with my remote's mute button.  There is a special place in Hell for the jingle writers who cause so many aural atrocities.

Oh, I don't know.  The Christmas ads with the festive bow-wrapped Lexus or Mercedes always makes me irate.  Yeah, WE always give cars for Christmas.

• Love 7
40 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

I am convinced the woman who does the voice over for Panera's "clean" salads and the woman who sings that infernal Wizard of Oz rip off song for University of Phoenix are the same person. Her smug, vocal-fry voice just makes me want to spit nails. 

Yes, let's hunt her down and punch her in the throat.  And it's pronounced "salad", bitch, not "solid".   I've seen 648 Panera commercials today, it's only 1:15 pm, and I've only had the TV on for background noise.  OMG!  One just came on!  STFU!

• Love 8

Ugh, America's Got Talent is running a preview for this "amazing" girl singer who sounds just like the breathy girl-singers (and I say girl to differentiate them from women who sing like adults) like the one who does the University of Phoenix ad.

• Love 4

There's an AT&T commercial where a family goes batshit crazy after somethign like six, then ten, then fifteen minutes without internet service.  Mind you not one of these people is seeking to use their internet access for something crucial, or even remotely timely.

I'm all for having quality internet access since I pay a nice chunk of monthly change, but I also understand shit happens from time to time.  And presenting a parade of losers who cannot function more than a few minutes for no good reason is not something that draws me to AT&T -- in fact, it makes me embarrassed I have U-Verse. 

I've got AT&T, had them when it was SBC, still have an SBC email address. I've got UVerse, for the past month, nearly every day, 3-5 times a day, the internet goes out for 5-15 minutes, today an hour and a half. Cannot get answers, just keeps on happening, I pay way too much for this service, and I just got upgraded over the weekend, I didn't request it, but now I have a new contract that will force me to pay an early cancellation fee of damn near $200. I have to move soon, don't know if I am moving out of state yet, I may have to early cancel a service that I've had for about 17 years. I'm a little ticked off about the whole thing. AT&T has the absolute worst customer service. I've tried to cancel my home phone for 2 years, but I still get charged every month, the phone has been off for 2 years, but they continue to have no record, apparently I haven't spoken to the cancellation department! But hours of my time on hold, upgrades of things I didn't request, and $40/month for 2 years that I cannot get off the bill, I'm a little pissed off.

• Love 3

Do the Mazda ads drive (heh) anybody else nuts? The narrator sounds like this weird combination of like he's being super condescending and also reading a children's book. It's got that sing-songy cadence but also there's something about the tone of his voice itself that makes me dive for the remote. Maybe it's that kind of nasally quality? Whatever it is, I'm really looking forward to the day that Mazda goes in a different direction with their ads. 

Also while I'm at it, I know it was mentioned by someone several pages back, but why won't those stupid Infiniti ads die? There's something about a smug rich white guy parodying what is a very real struggle for many people that makes me ashamed that some of my family members have owned those cars. Incidentally, I think their cars aren't terribly fun to drive.

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

I've got AT&T, had them when it was SBC, still have an SBC email address.* I've got UVerse, for the past month, nearly every day, 3-5 times a day, the internet goes out for 5-15 minutes, today an hour and a half. Cannot get answers, just keeps on happening, I pay way too much for this service, and I just got upgraded over the weekend, I didn't request it, but now I have a new contract that will force me to pay an early cancellation fee of damn near $200. I have to move soon, don't know if I am moving out of state yet, I may have to early cancel a service that I've had for about 17 years. I'm a little ticked off about the whole thing. AT&T has the absolute worst customer service. I've tried to cancel my home phone for 2 years, but I still get charged every month, the phone has been off for 2 years, but they continue to have no record, apparently I haven't spoken to the cancellation department! But hours of my time on hold, upgrades of things I didn't request, and $40/month for 2 years that I cannot get off the bill, I'm a little pissed off.

*Me too! Do you try unplugging your modem from both the power and the network (cable) when it goes down and then replugging them in? Also, you may be entitled to a new, upgraded modem. Of course, since I've been able to play the stage IV cancer card, I get way better service.

• Love 3
(edited)

yep, doing that. I'm sorry, but I really don't want to play the cancer card. I have played the brain aneurysm one though. Seriously, I am sorry that you are fighting cancer, I send wishes for a good fight.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

I thought so too but I looked it up and it's not. It must be the new style-the vocal burn is so last year.

1 hour ago, Rick Kitchen said:

I don't want a dentist who sounds like and dresses like a Monty Python character.

There's an ad for Lens Crafters, I think, where the optometrist has the tightest pants in the history of ever, Blergh.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Yes, let's hunt her down and punch her in the throat.  And it's pronounced "salad", bitch, not "solid".   I've seen 648 Panera commercials today, it's only 1:15 pm, and I've only had the TV on for background noise.  OMG!  One just came on!  STFU!

Damn, I'm SO glad I'm not the only one who heard "solid" in place of "salad".  What a pretentious bitch!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I've got AT&T, had them when it was SBC, still have an SBC email address. I've got UVerse, for the past month, nearly every day, 3-5 times a day, the internet goes out for 5-15 minutes, today an hour and a half. Cannot get answers, just keeps on happening, I pay way too much for this service, and I just got upgraded over the weekend, I didn't request it, but now I have a new contract that will force me to pay an early cancellation fee of damn near $200. I have to move soon, don't know if I am moving out of state yet, I may have to early cancel a service that I've had for about 17 years. I'm a little ticked off about the whole thing. AT&T has the absolute worst customer service. I've tried to cancel my home phone for 2 years, but I still get charged every month, the phone has been off for 2 years, but they continue to have no record, apparently I haven't spoken to the cancellation department! But hours of my time on hold, upgrades of things I didn't request, and $40/month for 2 years that I cannot get off the bill, I'm a little pissed off.

I finally left AT&T U-Verse after over two years, the last five months of which involved a modem charge for a modem I didn't have. Every month I would have a 45-minute call to tell them I still didn't have the modem, etc. They'd see I didn't have it and promise they'd fixed the error, blah blah blah. I finally just left and went back to the other evil that is Time Warner Cable. AT&T U-Verse was great in the beginning, but when everyone else sucks, there's no incentive to be any better.

I decided I'd just switch back and forth and keep getting promotional deals. Screw them all.

• Love 8

Hi, you know all those law office commercials that start with "Have you or a loved one been injured due to talc (or some other product)? If so, call for free legal advice. You may be eligible for a settlement...."?

Those ads have different presenters, but there is one spokesperson I see a lot that totally annoys me. She has long blond hair and looks mean, moreso than helpful and sympathetic.  Her eyes/eyebrows just seem angry. I'm shocked she was chosen for the ad.

That's all I wanted to say. :-)

• Love 7

hose ads have different presenters, but there is one spokesperson I see a lot that totally annoys me. She has long blond hair and looks mean, moreso than helpful and sympathetic.  Her eyes/eyebrows just seem angry. I'm shocked she was chosen for the ad.

I've posted about her before, she has a Barbie doll long neck. But she can spit out all that info. It doesn't mean I would take her advice.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, adhoc said:

Hi, you know all those law office commercials that start with "Have you or a loved one been injured due to talc (or some other product)? If so, call for free legal advice. You may be eligible for a settlement...."?

Those ads have different presenters, but there is one spokesperson I see a lot that totally annoys me. She has long blond hair and looks mean, moreso than helpful and sympathetic.  Her eyes/eyebrows just seem angry. I'm shocked she was chosen for the ad.

That's all I wanted to say. :-)

She's probably related to the "Pull that peach!" woman.

• Love 6
(edited)
23 hours ago, backformore said:

I don't even want to link it, but I keep seeing some ridiculous IKEA commercial where the entire family is taking photos of dinner.  That's bad enough, but then they're going g on and on about how many likes they got, how the photos are "trending", and how the rump roast "broke the internet".  Really?  Are there thousands, millions of people in front of their computers waiting to see what you are having for dinner?  So many that it happens within moments of putting the food on the table?    Really. Shut up, you Damn assholes.  Put your cameras down and eat your damn dinner.

I hate ALL of the Ikea commercials lately.  I hate the ready-for-Chopped-Junior snowflake who grows a hanging organic herb garden in his kitchen (the bugs!).  I hate the twee hipster asshole lesbian couple.  But the social media family Must. Die. Now.

Any time an Ikea commercial comes on, I start thinking about the "Ikea Puns" video on YouTube.  I've been unable to mentally separate them:

Edited by erikdepressant
YouTube link
  • Love 6

Thanks for the link -  that is pretty funny!    with the social media commercial, when they say to the dad,  "your rump roast broke the internet"  I want to reply, "Yeah, maybe when you label a photo with the word "rump", people are looking at it expecting something else. 

• Love 7
13 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I decided I'd just switch back and forth and keep getting promotional deals. Screw them all.

Used to do that regularly back home on Long Island, bouncing between Verizon FiOS and Cablevision, depending on who was offering the better deal, and who had pissed me off last.  Unfortunately, my only option now (other than satellite) is Time Warner - the one company I've found to be worse than Cablevision.  I'm holding out hope for Google Fiber...

• Love 2

There's a Colgate commercial that irks some form of OCD I have.  The woman is wearing a red dress and her very dark lipstick isn't all matchey-matchey in shade to her dress.  Then they start running red banners or having her hold a red tube of the toothpaste, further making my head explode!

I wish they would have gone with a different colored dress and shade of lipstick.

Get off my lawn, you damn kids!

• Love 5
19 hours ago, Rick Kitchen said:

Ugh, America's Got Talent is running a preview for this "amazing" girl singer who sounds just like the breathy girl-singers (and I say girl to differentiate them from women who sing like adults) like the one who does the University of Phoenix ad.

I first saw that kid when people were posting links to a video of her, raving about her.  The first thing I thought was "Oh great, another one who sings like that and she's getting praise."  I now wonder if they made a commercial featuring her because the video was getting so many hits and shares.

18 hours ago, BabyVegas said:

Do the Mazda ads drive (heh) anybody else nuts? The narrator sounds like this weird combination of like he's being super condescending and also reading a children's book. It's got that sing-songy cadence but also there's something about the tone of his voice itself that makes me dive for the remote. Maybe it's that kind of nasally quality? Whatever it is, I'm really looking forward to the day that Mazda goes in a different direction with their ads. 

I've hated the voiceover guy ever since the infernal "when you were you" commercial.  I would have hated that commercial anyway, but the guy's delivery didn't help matters any.  Now when I see a Mazda commercial, I'm annoyed at his delivery, and I'm annoyed because it reminds me of the "when you were you" commercial.

This Dior commercial is apparently from 2015 but I only saw it for the first time yesterday.  I thought it was supposed to be funny at first.  Now I roll my eyes at it.

• Love 2
(edited)
On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:35 PM, curlyblackeggs said:

While I also hate this commercial, I can say as a past focus group participant that this is exactly the kind of asinine question that gets asked. Picture a wall with about 30 different photographs on it: a lightbulb, a lady doing yoga, a tree, the moon, four crayons, the number seven… Now, pick which image you would associate with the commercial we just showed you and also explain why. This accuracy of absurdity is the only reason I can give that commercial a pass.

Awesome.  I would choose the crayons every time.  Because obviously the commercial was created for people who should only be allowed to write with crayons and not sharp, pointy pens or pencils.

This Dior commercial is apparently from 2015 but I only saw it for the first time yesterday.  I thought it was supposed to be funny at first.  Now I roll my eyes at it.

I initially thought it was mocking those inane Matthew McConaughey Lincoln ads, but no such luck.  Like I'd want my man to smell like Johnny Depp, especially as skeevy as he looks in that commercial.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

I'm holding out hope for Google Fiber...

I was too, but I live in Seattle and Google has said they will never bring Google Fiber here because the city's regulations are too onerous. Right now, my only internet options are Wave Broadband, which is quite possibly the worst company in the world and the only one I've ever seen to get an F rating by the Better Business Bureau, or CenturyLink, which won't sell me internet unless I either bundle it with PrismTV (which I don't want or need) or a landline package that's $50 more per month than my current landline. So CenturyLink can sit and spin, as far as I'm concerned. Oh, and DirectTV, which my neighbor has and says can be spotty when it rains and ... this is Seattle. It is currently sunny and raining. Ultimately I had to go with a mobile hotspot and limited data. We're supposed to be a high tech city, but you'd never know it.

• Love 4
(edited)

We're getting Google Fiber in Charlotte, but reports are that they're behind where they should be at this point in groundwork installation and not on par with the other cities that were started at the same time. So...they are starting to suck right out of the gate. Does not bode well.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I initially thought it was mocking those inane Matthew McConaughey Lincoln ads, but no such luck.  Like I'd want my man to smell like Johnny Depp, especially as skeevy as he looks in that commercial.

I thought that, too!

• Love 2

We've got Google Fiber in our neighborhood, but so far, it's in condos/apartments - the property manager has to APPLY for it.  We've asked our manager to do that, but her brother was a victim of the Pulse massacre, so we don't know when she'll be back at work.  I feel so awful for thinking about Google Fiber when she's lost her brother.

Honestly, I haven't had many technical problems with U-Verse.  Once I had to get a new modem, but that wasn't that bad an ordeal. Where I used to work, we had Comcast Business and it was *always* going out - but then, the boss didn't always pay the bills on time - I'd say about half our outages were billing issues.

• Love 1