Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Infiltration

Coleman invites Rachel to the Impact Awards; Quinn and Coleman vie for Rachel's loyalty; Quinn finds an ally in the network's new owner; and Darius has an overnight date on the show. Meanwhile, Jeremy and Rachel's relationship causes problems on set.

(edited)

I miss season 1. :-(

This episode had moments but not many. Rachel looked so hot at the Impact Awards. I started to like Ruby. Then poof she's gone. Carl Lumbly did a good job with the few lines he was given. They never even brought up last weeks ending. I suprisngly liked Chet at the end of the epside. Bye bye to everyone's favorite charactor Jeremy. Lol I still have no idea how this season is going to end.

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 4

Who the hell EVER said Jeremy = Mr Big was thinking of some SATC fanfic written by a coked-out Aidan fan.

And as soon as Ruby made the "You can be a better man" speech, I knew her ass was grass.  Ah well.

• Love 13

It feels to me like UnReal is overproduced this season because Everlasting is ridiculously overproduced this season. Now that we're approaching the back end of the season, I guess it's time for the Episode Where Someone Dies.

But hey, kudos on Carl Lumbly.

• Love 7

As an Alias fan, I was psyched to see Dixon on my tv again. And I loved this episode. The power plays, the scenes behind the scenes, just fabulous. Poor Jay lost Ruby, Darius was a weasel, and why is Yael still there?  

A bit too heavy handed with the Jeremy stuff though, he shoots up Rachel's photo and then attacks her? Chet to the rescue, guess he has changed.

And I could be happy seeing Ioan in a tux every week. 

• Love 7

Rachel continues to be the so weak when it comes to Quinn. Quinn is straight up emotionally abusive to Rachel and yet she ran to do her bidding. Come on, Rachel, get a spine for once and stop leaning other people (Jeremy beginning of last season, Adam, Quinn and now Coleman).

So tired of Jay. So everything that went wrong with Ruby and Darious was Rachel's fault? Like he wasn't the one who also fell into Quinn's manipulative trap with the cameras? He's way too invested (just like them all). I hate that Ruby went home. What a waste of a storyline. And why is the racist girl still there? And Hot Rachel? And other random black girl who's never had a line or a name?

Jeremy is always the worst. I was so glad Chet was there to save the day but then again he set all this in motion.

• Love 12
(edited)

What happened to last weeks ending? We all started talking about that camera filming Ruby & Darius. Then this episode never even brought that up. I still have no idea why some of the characters are still here. I bet the writers have no idea either.

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 3

i loved this episode. Though I cringed when the cameras were rolling in the bedroom with Ruby and Darius, her dad and a camera crew. But Darius is more intelligent and insightful than I expected. Good work on the writers' part. Sending Ruby home was the kindest thing he could have done for her...she was destined to be further exploited to her detriment, and he got her out of that jam...though she did not see it that way.  If they choose to pick up after the show is over, they can do so in private, and with some dignity...and she has time to make peace with her dad, as well as hopefully resume school.

Saving Yael, yeah, why not. Nobody likes a snitch. 

Coleman and Rachel...not such a power couple. Quinn is the master here, but her new billionaire pal is a bigger shark. She may dominate Chet, but this guy is much smarter and more ruthless, albeit much smoother. She may be overmatched here. Rachel looks like she took the worst of it, but Quinn may not be doing a victory lap either.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, aquarian1 said:

I'm liking Quinn less and Chet more.  That seems wrong.  

OMG! I was about to post the exact same thing. Great minds, etc. Fortunately for Rachel, Chet certainly was keeping his eye on Tubby Jeremy.

If Coleman is the show runner, why is the Evil Quinn running the show?

Nice to see Ioan Gruffudd again. I don't want him with Quinn though. Horatio Hornblower deserves better!  ;-)

• Love 11
(edited)

I've been team Rachel from day 1. I wish she put Quinn in her place. Still don't know what's in store going toward. I have no idea what the final message is going to be. One thing I do know is that Jeremy won't be apart of it. At least I hope not.

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 5

My only complaint (and it's no small one) is that by eliminating Ruby the show is totally punting when it comes to taking on race. Making her a prominent BLM activist then doing nothing with it makes the show suffer badly in comparison to this season of Orange is the New Black which tapped into the outrage so meaningfully, I thought. It can still potentially deliver on doing something timely and resonant linking Beth Ann in some way to the mindset of some of Trump's worst followers, the difference of course being we've spent maybe 10 minutes of total screen time with Beth Ann so nothing they can do will really cut very deep.

• Love 13
(edited)

Is it bad that I still don't know all the names of the contestents or who's left? I also don't have any experience in getting arrested for stealing a baby but Chet got bailed out pretty quick. Will they finish up that story or just move on like it never happened. I love the way they tackled race in season 1. It was a brief scene but worked beautifully.

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 2
(edited)

Hmm, I liked this episode the least so far. I guess I'm in the minority. 

What happened with the cameras was in no way Rachel's fault. Jay should have turned them off or told Coleman asap. I don't even know what Quinn's role is anymore?

Edited by Court
  • Love 5
(edited)

That was crap, it's become Days of Our Lives. Nothing feels organic in the show this season, we are being told the story, not shown it. Within 4 weeks and very little one on one time together Ruby has fallen in love with Darius and Rachel has fallen in love with Coleman, to the extent that she is calling him her partner and saying she'll be with him in 3 years time?! Idiotic. Have no idea why Quinn is still so involved with the show and is overruling Coleman, it's just the same as when Chet and Quinn were yelling opposing instructions to the crew a few episodes ago. I don't know why Chet is on the set either. Why on earth would Quinn tell Chet she was going to try to talk the English billionaire douche into giving her a network when Chet has repeatedly screwed her over. If Coleman is meant to be so great at his job there is no way he'd be encouraging Rachel to make waves with Quinn and he wouldn't be baiting Quinn either, that's a dreadful management style, a good manager tries to get everybody to work as a team. Or would get Quinn banned from the set if he can't get her on board.

How on earth can there be so many amoral people in the UnReal world? No one ever says we are going too far - at least they don't stick to it if they do - I wanted that English douche to say you're gross unknowingly filming people having sex and then bringing her father in, wouldn't most 'normal' people think it is fucked up? He's got no experience in the TV industry so that would have been a shock to him, there's no way he'd be jaded like all the rest of them seem to be. And of course he and Quinn have to become an item because god forbid any woman on this show not have a romantic interest.

As if any father would walk in to a room knowing their daughter is having sex, no father wants to see that. Banging on the door I could buy but barging in without warning then talking to her on camera when she is just draped in a sheet and Darius is nude next to her was beyond stupid. FFS. If they aired that sex scene and the father bursting in and I was a viewer I would be so disgusted with the production team, the audience has supported a 'romantic' show for the last 13 seasons not a tits and ass one, it would not fit in with the fairytale romance story they want.

Jeremy can just go die, even without hitting Rachel he was already the worst and has no real role on the show. Hot Rachel is an idiot if she thinks hooking up with him was going to help her in any way, the DP has no power over storylines or who stays on the show. I really hope she has some other ulterior motives such as the previously suggested expose on reality shows, there must be some reason she took the keys last week.

The only thing I liked in the whole show tonight was Rachel letting Dominique know about Hot Rachel banging Jeremy causing Darius to reject both women and 'go rogue'. I'll finish out the season because it's only a few episodes and most of my shows are over but I don't think I'll be back next year.

Edited by Save Yourself
  • Love 19
2 hours ago, earlbny said:

I miss season 1. :-(

This episode had moments but not many. Rachel looked so hot at the Impact Awards. I started to like Ruby. Then poof she's gone. Carl Lumbly did a good job with the few lines he was given. They never even brought up last weeks ending. I suprisngly liked Chet at the end of the epside. Bye bye to everyone's favorite charactor Jeremy. Lol I still have no idea how this season is going to end.

Quinn said to Jay 'you didn't seem to have a problem last week' when he confronted her about filming in the suite without them knowing so it became clear that Ruby wasn't aware they filmed her sneaking off to see Darius.

• Love 4

Who is "producing" who/whom?  (No time to look up grammar rules). I don't have any idea.  Really wondering what is up with Coleman.  Seems too good to be true.  I was shocked at Ruby's elimination.  Was multitasking when she said whatever she said about helping him be more.  As someone pointed out above Darius is quite quick and perceptive about the girl's character and what he needs to do to "produce".  I like how when I think the show is going to zig it dashes or zags.

I still want Ruby to get a second chance.  I really like them together.  I do like Darius' chemistry with the football owner's daughter so I guess I'm now rooting for her.  Is there a way he ends up with BethAnn, the Confederate flag bikini girl?  Can the new channel owner "force" him to pick her by buying his team and controlling his contract?

i just wish there were more episodes.  I'd love some more character development and more time for new chaos.

• Love 8

They're already at the billionaire network owner level. Will Quinn and Rachel be cozying up to God by the end of the season?

I remember watching Sequin Raze (yay, Ashley Williams), which was all about getting the reaction of one contestant who tried not to give it to the producer. They started with that in season 1 and got a little out of hand. Now, the manipulation is half-assed and hard to follow, which makes it seem artificial.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, Save Yourself said:

Quinn said to Jay 'you didn't seem to have a problem last week' when he confronted her about filming in the suite without them knowing so it became clear that Ruby wasn't aware they filmed her sneaking off to see Darius.

Thanks for the info. I must have missed that part.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Save Yourself said:

It was a really quick line, I had subs on so makes it easy to remember

I'll have to remember that for next time. I plan on watching it again. I always tend to miss stuff.

• Love 2

I don't find it remotely unbelievable that the billionaire Brit (Welshman) would be into the gross drama. People with that kind of money have a tendency to live on a moral plane all their own. When you get to a certain level of wealth, it's all too easy to stop seeing people as people.

Last season's suitor gave occasional pushback, but for the most part he was easily manipulated. I like that Darius continues to keep them on their toes. I find him so much more interesting than drippy, spineless Adam.

So long, Jeremy. Don't come back now.

• Love 10

Sadly, I think Jeremy will be back somehow. But it would be poetic justice if he ended up in an asylum.

But show, how could you make me actually feel sorry for Chet?...

As for Rachel suddenly being in love with Coleman - I believe Rachel is in love with the idea of being appreciated and this time, it's Coleman who tells her she's something more. Rachel seems strong and independent, but deep down she just wants someone to have her back and lift her up. She once thought it was Jeremy, then Adam. She even considered Quinn to be that person. Now it's Coleman's time. Rachel is in her "princess" state - she's hungry for some love. And a little power. Never forget power.

Ruby - too bad, she overplayed her hand. Had she not talked about changing, Darius would have went for it. But he's a bit too attached to his way of life, a bit too accustomed to luxury. Budging feeling won't change that (yes, I think Darius fell for Ruby as well).

Yael - she's designed to be hated. She may have an agenda, be an undercover journalist / blogger / Coleman's girlfriend...

I still enjoy the show, but I agree with those who say they miss Season 1. I miss the technical mechanics of how the show was produced, the behind-the-scenes tricks of the trade. I have less interest in Quinn and Rachel's love lives. 

• Love 21
1 hour ago, AlliMo said:

I don't find it remotely unbelievable that the billionaire Brit (Welshman) would be into the gross drama. People with that kind of money have a tendency to live on a moral plane all their own. When you get to a certain level of wealth, it's all too easy to stop seeing people as people.

Last season's suitor gave occasional pushback, but for the most part he was easily manipulated. I like that Darius continues to keep them on their toes. I find him so much more interesting than drippy, spineless Adam.

So long, Jeremy. Don't come back now.

I knew that someone would bring up the 'rich people have no morals' stereotype. That's crap, a lot of wealthy people still do great things and have maintain their humanity - look at the Giving Pledge. I really dislike people being stereotyped, it's just as lazy as saying 'all poor people are lazy', people are people and all behave differently.

• Love 7

Well, this show has officially left me no one to root for.

1. I'm so over Rachel its not even funny.  Both work relationships she had went straight to hell, and what does she do?  Jump straight into another work relationship, because she apparently isn't smart enough to realize that these things don't work out for her.  Last year I could forgive her, she was clearly unbalanced and went away to help herself.  She fell in love with someone else almost by accident.  But this year she is actively hooking up with a man and using her sex to get stuff that she really hasn't earned.  For whatever reason Quinn goes to that awards ceremony.  If someone had actually sent Rachel those tickets, it would be one thing, but the only reason she is getting to go is because she is Coleman's squeeze.  This is the sort of thing that Rachel would look down on from any of the other women.  And then for her to go along with what was happening to Ruby/father was just disgusting.  I hate this Rachel.

2. I'm also over Quinn -- I get it girl, you're a badass and you don't care, but so far you've managed to nearly paralyze a man and now you're actively involving someone's parents...when you gave them assurances that they wouldn't be taped?  Are you that upset that you didn't have a good relationship with your dad?  Does one woman need to feel powerful by taking down another powerful young woman?  But at the very least, Quinn owns her shittiness, whereas Rachel is just a simpering fool.

3. I'm also over Darius.  Yes, I get it, you already have mouths to feed, you don't want to take on the responsibility of being an activist as well.  But maybe you could have mentioned that before you blindsided the girl on TV.  Or maybe you could have just let her win and see where it went.  If there is anything that is going to make "black twitter" hate you, its going to be letting a beautiful, intelligent girl like Ruby go just because her dad is upset that he caught you sleeping with her and because she is asking you to stand up for your community.  He didn't need to embarass her on TV, and he is a giant asshole for doing it.

4. I do think that Coleman is doing that expose.  Those glasses look like Google glasses, or some sort of frame that could hide a camera.  Since I hate everyone on this show, except Ruby, now I'm rooting for Coleman.  Heck, I'm almost rooting for Chet at this point.

• Love 13
5 hours ago, TiffanyNichelle said:

And other random black girl who's never had a line or a name?

Yeah, whats up with that girl!?!???  

Ode to the black girl who never gets a line....

Girl, I see you there

You speak not to the suitor

Do you have a name?

2 hours ago, Ariah said:

Sadly, I think Jeremy will be back somehow. But it would be poetic justice if he ended up in an asylum.

Jeremy is going to run straight to Rachel's mother like a baby, and then he is going to file a complaint.  Or at least thats my prediction. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Save Yourself said:

As if any father would walk in to a room knowing their daughter is having sex, no father wants to see that. Banging on the door I could buy but barging in without warning then talking to her on camera when she is just draped in a sheet and Darius is nude next to her was beyond stupid. FFS. If they aired that sex scene and the father bursting in and I was a viewer I would be so disgusted with the production team, the audience has supported a 'romantic' show for the last 13 seasons not a tits and ass one, it would not fit in with the fairytale romance story they want.

I can only buy it because the poor man had no idea where his daughter was, or if she had been kidnapped by some reality show weirdos or if she was hurt.

Ruby failed to tell her family what she was doing, so they may have been calling and calling her and are just confused as to where she is at.

All we had was creepy, unsettling Quinn just saying that they were going to "take him to Ruby right now" after he is seeing her on screen having sex.  For all the man knew she had been forced into it, or there was some weird explanation, or maybe some epic misunderstanding.  At the very least, he probably at least wanted to tell her that all of this was being filmed and to put a stop to that

My dad watches nothing but soccer and the PBS news hour (and 60 minutes).  He honestly would have no idea what it would mean if he was told I ended up on The Bachelor.  

• Love 1

Far more interesting than the show is the different interpretations that are here from watching the show. Igo with Darius letting Ruby go to save her. He saw the fire n her and felt he could not match up. I think he farewell speech was a heartfelt one (as much as a fictional character can have a heart)I am always amazed how the not working characters can bark orders at people and they are followed, heh. It is not a chess match, but more of a power play drama. Who has what kind of power. I enjoyed it, I thought last year was over the top, this year seems much the same. 

Now, we have parallel story lines, in QUinn and Rachael's lives - both have new loves that can do things for them, both have jealous ex lovers. both have show power, but who is following who and who is crossing who.

• Love 4
(edited)
9 minutes ago, holly4755 said:

Far more interesting than the show is the different interpretations that are here from watching the show. Igo with Darius letting Ruby go to save her. He saw the fire n her and felt he could not match up. I think he farewell speech was a heartfelt one (as much as a fictional character can have a heart)I am always amazed how the not working characters can bark orders at people and they are followed, heh. It is not a chess match, but more of a power play drama. Who has what kind of power. I enjoyed it, I thought last year was over the top, this year seems much the same. 

Now, we have parallel story lines, in QUinn and Rachael's lives - both have new loves that can do things for them, both have jealous ex lovers. both have show power, but who is following who and who is crossing who.

I get why Darius dropped Ruby.  What I don't understand is why he couldn't tell her 5 minutes before he blindsided her with it?  She just told America that she is in love with you.  If you know you're going to drop her, or if you know its not going to work, maybe give her the heads up so she can go home with her dad.  Let her go at the next "rose" ceremony.  Talk to her about it off camera.  But to have that girl sitting there begging you not to end a relationship....begging you on national TV when you know that you aren't going to choose her is cruel.

She has clearly been raised to not take sex lightly.  For her to do that with him, for her to reject her own father in the hopes of making it work was such a great sacrifice for her.  And Darius couldn't be bothered with a 5 minute heads up?  To me, thats BS.  I get that Darius doesn't want to change who he is.....but  his treatment of her was terrible.

But he couldn't even grab her arm at the elimination ceremony and take her aside for a few seconds?  Instead he let her beg for him on national TV?

Does Rachel really have any power?  Without Coleman's affection she is pretty much in the exact same position she was last year.  Quinn is a bitch, but she does have power.  She even officially had power from a guy who hated her (Gary), because they all knew that whether they liked her or hated her, she was the one that could bring them the show that made them all money.

If Quinn decided to drop Rachel....Quinn would care....Quinn would suffer....but no one else would really care.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Save Yourself said:

That was crap, it's become Days of Our Lives. Nothing feels organic in the show this season, we are being told the story, not shown it. Within 4 weeks and very little one on one time together Ruby has fallen in love with Darius and Rachel has fallen in love with Coleman, to the extent that she is calling him her partner and saying she'll be with him in 3 years time?! 

How on earth can there be so many amoral people in the UnReal world?

Rachel is psychotic, these people imagine a lot of things, or at least this is how pop culture pictures them, so it's not untypical that she builds her fantasy castles. 

How on earth can there be so many amoral people in the real world?  

Land of the Douches:

This is a difficult show to watch because there are no good people, just various degrees of terrible. 

First, Rachel is a complete and total idiot.  It's hard for me to feel bad for her because she seems to have lost all autonomy.  She is like a puppet and depending on the week, it changes who is pulling the strings. This week it's Coleman at first and then it reverts back to Quinn.

Chet...Yeah firing someone from for punching their coworker does not make the person likeable.  He has gotten no points with me whatsoever.  Especially since, part of Jeremy's complete and total disintegration happened with Chet basically egging him on.

Jeremy...women I have know that were victims of domestic abuse have personally told me that their abusers started out another way.  This has always been hard for me to believe.  Not because I thought there were lying, but because it just seems like such a drastic personality shift.  However we are basically getting to see that happened to Jeremy and it's horrifying to watch.

Coleman:  What a smug son of a bitch...I don't know how Quinn doesn't deck him.  He is literally the person I hate the most on this show right now...First, he has absolutely no talent that I have seen whatsoever.  Literally none.  I actually would put him lower than Chet because Chet actually has ideas.  Second, he seems sort of abusive too.  Not in the Jeremy way, but in the I will control of you actions way.  This guy has known Rachel for all of two weeks and he is trotting her out all over town like a trophy while speaking for her with Jeremy, Quinn, etc.  The worst part is Rachel doesn't even realize that he is calling all of the shots.  Then at the end when he says...you let Quinn come between us...what us loser?  It's been two weeks...???

Darius:  I don't know what to say about him.  Sigh...

New Billionaire whose name I cannot remember yet:  I know you are creep because all guys on this show are...so it's just a matter of time.

Better OFF:

Ruby:  Keep going girl, you are too good for all of these people.

• Love 6

They rather quickly pushed the verb "produce" over the shark - when Quinn mentioned, while trying on gowns, that she was going to produce the new owner into giving her her own network I was like, nope, you've overdone it and already ruined what could have been their equivalent of Scandal's "handled."

• Love 7
9 hours ago, BingeyKohan said:

My only complaint (and it's no small one) is that by eliminating Ruby the show is totally punting when it comes to taking on race

I'm not convinced Ruby is gone completely. Remember..um...actually I don't remember her name, but she was an eliminated contestant last year and she showed up again at the finale? Unlike Ruby, she was cast in "the bitch" stereotype.

I actually appreciated the discussion between Darius and Ruby's dad (who I know from somewhere, and it isn't Alias), where you could see how for such a prominent activist who fought passionately for racial issues, having his daughter become involved with a perceived "sellout"-type quarterback who kowtows to the mainstream media would be especially disturbing. I thought "I know who you are -- 'Bitch, please'" was a great line.

7 hours ago, Ariah said:

As for Rachel suddenly being in love with Coleman - I believe Rachel is in love with the idea of being appreciated and this time, it's Coleman who tells her she's something more. Rachel seems strong and independent, but deep down she just wants someone to have her back and lift her up. She once thought it was Jeremy, then Adam. She even considered Quinn to be that person. Now it's Coleman's time.

Love this. Personally, I see little difference between Coleman and Adam, except that Adam was there to validate Rachel on a personal level, and Coleman on a professional one. I actually don't understand why Coleman has to be a villain or up to no good -- or why it's so shocking that Rachel has fallen for him in three episodes. Rachel, with television in her blood, was first introduced wearing a shirt that said "This is what a feminist looks like" now meets a guy who has produced television that's made a difference and says he wants to help her do the same? I buy that a heck of a lot more than I buy Rachel wanting to ditch her job to be the British playboy's girlfriend.

I'd also like to say that while I was 90% sure that this show wouldn't go there, women being raped to service the plot happens so frequently on television that I feel like I have to thank shows who don't actually go there. So...thank you, show, for not raping Rachel to service the plot.

• Love 14
6 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

I'm not convinced Ruby is gone completely. Remember..um...actually I don't remember her name, but she was an eliminated contestant last year and she showed up again at the finale? Unlike Ruby, she was cast in "the bitch" stereotype.

I bet you're right about this (and Britney is the contestant you're thinking of last year). As for Carl Lumbly - I believe he was on Cagney and Lacey well before Alias, but I'm dating myself! 

Back to the Ruby-and-her-father interaction: I didn't know quite how to unpack Darius' indignant declaration that he made 40 million a year, by way of defending his own honor. It seemed of a piece with "bitch, please" in terms of not terribly well considered responses to having his performance or character questioned. Or maybe since I found it somewhat distasteful it was doing its job, making me see that I was just like Ruby, trying to force him onto a pedestal he didn't want to be on.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, BingeyKohan said:

when Quinn mentioned, while trying on gowns, that she was going to produce the new owner into giving her her own network

Strangely, I can see this use of "produce."   It sounds more business-like than other verbs she might have plugged in there:  trick, manipulate, seduce, blackmail . . .

Loved "Quinn and Rachel cozying up to God" and RC's haiku--everyone here is so funny!

I can't worry about being funny because if I lose focus, Darius' spine is going to snap in half.  It's very distracting--Don't slump back like that!  Sit up straight!  Spine!

• Love 4
(edited)
9 hours ago, Save Yourself said:

That was crap, it's become Days of Our Lives. Nothing feels organic in the show this season, we are being told the story, not shown it. 

[snip]

How on earth can there be so many amoral people in the UnReal world? No one ever says we are going too far - at least they don't stick to it if they do - I wanted that English douche to say you're gross unknowingly filming people having sex and then bringing her father in, wouldn't most 'normal' people think it is fucked up? He's got no experience in the TV industry so that would have been a shock to him, there's no way he'd be jaded like all the rest of them seem to be. And of course he and Quinn have to become an item because god forbid any woman on this show not have a romantic interest.

I'd like this post more times, if I could. Your entire post sums up exactly what I'm feeling, especially the bits above. Seriously, Show, why are we supposed to care about these people, again? It is all telling and not showing. They have the lines that are supposed to make us sympathetic, but that's all they have. The lines. And I'm thinking part of what might be missing is the humanizing humor that was part and parcel of the show last season. Remember Faith's "Are we supposed to be watching this?"

This season it's like "Oh, here's some drama! Here's some other drama! Here's this drama over here!" And never any real insight along with the drama. Never any recognition of the absurdity of it all.

9 hours ago, ketose said:

They're already at the billionaire network owner level. Will Quinn and Rachel be cozying up to God by the end of the season?

I remember watching Sequin Raze (yay, Ashley Williams), which was all about getting the reaction of one contestant who tried not to give it to the producer. They started with that in season 1 and got a little out of hand. Now, the manipulation is half-assed and hard to follow, which makes it seem artificial.

The manipulation is ridiculously immature. My niece was pulling crap like that when she was 6. I might be having more fun with the show this season, if one of the contestants would just look at whichever producer is pulling it (Quinn, Rachel, Madison) and laugh in their faces. It would at least tell me that the show got how f-ed up it is. Rachel's manipulation was way more subtle last season, and therefore... believable. Nobody saw it coming. Now it's just stupid.

8 hours ago, Ariah said:

As for Rachel suddenly being in love with Coleman - I believe Rachel is in love with the idea of being appreciated and this time, it's Coleman who tells her she's something more. Rachel seems strong and independent, but deep down she just wants someone to have her back and lift her up. She once thought it was Jeremy, then Adam. She even considered Quinn to be that person. Now it's Coleman's time. Rachel is in her "princess" state - she's hungry for some love. And a little power. Never forget power.

I disagree about Rachel's strength and independence. She's manipulative, weak, needy and utterly dependent. She couldn't stand on her own two feet if her life was on the line. I just keep thinking back to the "This is what Feminism looks like" shirt last season. The show meant that ironically then, but now it's gone beyond irony into pathos. If this is what feminism looks like, no wonder feminism is getting a bad rap. This supposedly feminist woman who wants to change the world is demonstrating a completely unsympathetic character and wanting the world to side with her.

I'm starting to think Rachel's mother was right. She did raise a sociopathic malignant narcissist. She ought not have been casting stones at her daughter last season, because the whacked out mother is surely responsible in this case, but Rachel having a Mommy Dearest doesn't really make me sympathize with her, because she's not trying to build a better self. She's embracing her lack of mental health and her weakness, and justifying it.

Yes, that behavior is real. Some real people do have serious mental health issues, avoid them, justify their behavior with a thousand excuses. But I don't watch tv to see them just do what they do. I see enough of that in real life. I don't need to watch it on the screen in my evenings too. If a tv character is going to have all these issues, I want to see some self-loathing, insight, and some effort to actually change. There needs to be a reason for me to watch. Otherwise, it's just a hopeless "look at me and the world sucks" show. Which... is boring.

As for Ruby... if that was the sum-total of the show's exploration into racial issues, then it was incredibly lame. To think that episode 5 last season was the Faith episode, and how beautiful it was. Man, how far this show has fallen. Close-ups of tear-stained faces don't substitute for subtle, layered handling of the issues, Show.

Edited by CalamityBoPeep
Clarifying
  • Love 11

I get why Darius dropped Ruby; I think he did feel like, $40M a year or not, he's not the kind of guy she needs. Not everyone is an activist; he may feel like all the family members he's supporting is enough help for the community. (I was thinking about OJ Simpson in light of the "Made in America" doc that just aired, and one of the podcasts I listen to was discussing it as well. OJ actively shunned not just activism but black people. Darius doesn't seem to be doing that.) Blindsiding her with it was cruel though.

I cannot imagine my father sitting down on the bed and trying to have a serious discussion with me when I've just - like, JUST - had sex. I get his point but not his reaction. Him tossing a shirt at her and telling her to put some clothes on and then talking to her afterward, I'd get, but just sitting there when he's just watched his daughter have sex and she and the man she was sleeping with are naked and fresh from said sex is creepy and weird. 

I don't even know the rest of their names. Yael, Confederate Flag, Football Team Owner's Daughter, and "the others." When the basketball player was like "How could he not notice me, I'm a foot taller than everyone else?" I was thinking " ... Has she been here the whole time?"

Rachel is talking about "in three years, I'll have a show and a man that loves me," like, does Coleman love her now? Didn't they meet three weeks ago?

Chet's not a hero. Firing an employee for hitting another employee is the bare minimum for acceptable behavior in this situation. It's what you're supposed to do; possibly what you're required to do by law, although I'm not a lawyer. If a colleague punched me in the face at work and wasn't fired for it, I'd be in a lawyer's office the next day to find out what my options were for suing the company. And it looks like 

Spoiler

next episode he discourages Rachel from going to the police, so he remains shitty.

I agree, @CalamityBoPeep. I don't think Rachel is strong at all. She has serious mommy issues, hence her dysfunctional relationship with Quinn. She needs to be validated in some way, whether it's Adam validating her personality (which isn't great, frankly) or Coleman or Quinn validating her professional prowess. She seems to define herself by what other people think of her. If she were truly strong, Quinn wouldn't be able to get in her head the way she does. 

On a shallow note, the dress Quinn ended up in was the best - the light blue one she started out in was awful. It clashed with her skin and it looked like a prom dress. Way too young for her.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I get why Darius dropped Ruby

Yeah, I'd be pretty insulted if someone told me "I love you, I'll fix you.  I can improve you."  And I'm not even a $40M celebrity athlete.  Or a man.

Ooh, ooh, Rachel's fleeting expression of doubt, hovering only two steps above shame-face, got a Season Two callback.  Hi!

• Love 8

I'm not liking this season at all. Last season felt like we were watching the behind the scenes of a real show. Now it feels like a bunch of one liners, and mass chaos.I don't believe any network would present a show which is so jumbled and chaotic, with numerous people in charge and changes in direction every ten seconds. And really nothing about he father bursting into to the "fantasy suite date" is all that shocking where it would make history on TV. And most people watch the bachelor type shows to either see the romance, or to watch and make snarky comments on which men/women are chosen or discarded, the various travel dates (travel porn) and to see if the lead will or will not end up engaged. Watching people get hurt is more like the jackass crowd, not the majority female audience they want here.

I like Shiri but cannot stand Rachel. Shiri plays her as slightly drugged out looking, and the idea that she thinks she and Coleman will be together long term as a couple is crazy. Coleman doesn't even seem like he likes her. I also think he adds zero to the cast. I still like Quinn but that's about it. The idea of endless number of people ordering the contestants around, changing their mind every other minute and generally not doing an actual show is ridiculous. Even Disney owned networks have a budget and a set filming plan. Chet just seems like a buffoon, and I have no idea what his authority is at this point. Darius and Ruby are both decent characters, but we don't know any of the other contestants. And the real bachelor/bachlerotte contestants are plied with plenty of booze but they still manage to act like humans (with one or two 'out there') contestants. Here, the women all see like stereotypes and not at all real. 

And they should have set the show 10 years ago if they want us to believe this insanity wouldn't be all over the press and social media. They appear to have a huge number of employees, any one of them could film or slip gossip about the goings on and it would be all over. 

• Love 4

I'm having trouble with the idea that Ruby's dad would sign the waiver/consent form/etc. that would permit any footage of him to be aired on the show.  They basically rushed him in and he didn't seem to know what was going on, so it's not like he got the details off screen.  I just can't see him signing away rights for that.  I mean, I have other issues with how that scene (and others) played out, but my suspension of disbelief seems stuck on that for some reason (unless I missed something?).

• Love 8

To be fair (and it pains me to write this), Rachel hit him first (in terms of the hitting).  Prior to that he was being a drunken, desperate dick.  The man-handling was NOT cool, but he didn't hit her (which is something a lawyer would be sure to point out).  He was working on the misinformation that Rachel was behind his demotion.  Still,  no excuse.

Or it could just be that I am super relieved that he didn't sexually assault her. 

I cheered when Chet hit him, and I am so glad he fired Jeremy's Ass.  I feel sorry for the actor (NY article), but them's the breaks.

Coleman is shady, and so is this billionaire.

I really miss season one.

• Love 4

I really enjoyed this episode, though I'll agree there are parts that are absurd.

• The layers and layers of management are not that surprising to me.  I have worked in more than one company where issues are addressed by adding a new layer of leadership, rather than firing people who need to be gone.  Executives are often cowards about confrontation in my experience and tend to deal with things in a very passive-aggressive way.
  • Digging the hot billionaire.  I think Rachel was right to be hesitant to go to him without any developed ideas.  Too bad she didn't listen to her instincts. Coleman may be a fantastic film-maker, but he's a novice a corporate culture.  It's not surprising that John Booth pushed him aside to focus on Quinn. We know that Quinn really has been thinking about new shows and has something real to say to him that might make him money.  Successful people have an instinct for knowing who can make them more successful.  Plus, Quinn really can command a room and looked HOT in that dress.
  • I think Chet really has shown some growth.  He accepted  responsibility for his actions and was trying to help Jeremy get that same clarity. I loved it when he slapped Jeremy for whining. Unfortunately, it did not work and Jeremy continued to play the blame game. It might have worked better if he cut off access to the alcohol as part of the process. Chet was not a hero, but he was trying to help Jeremy and took decisive action when it was needed by firing him. 
  • I think Quinn genuinely cares about Rachel and was sincere in warning her to watch out for Coleman.    She's upset with Rachel for betraying her, and she's retaliating, but I believe there is real affection there.  In fact, I think that  Chet, Rachel, and Quinn are really like family--beneath the fighting, there is love.  I think Quinn's assessment that Rachel is afraid to stand on her own is right on. Rachel CAN dance circles around Coleman, and he's keeping her in her place by building his influence over her. The problem is that Quinn delivers life lessons and mentoring advice in really brutal packages.  If she would learn to couch her points in more tactful words, I think she would be more effective.  Interestingly, Ruby is the same way.  She could have made her point to Darius about being a better person in a more tactful way.  Instead, she said something that made him feel inadequate.  
  • Love 6

I am just someone who sees things differently I guess. why would Darius dismiss Ruby at the candle ceremony? I think to do it and to have it be made permanent and irrevocable and to allow her to leave with a modicum of dignity, it was not her failure, but his, at least that is what he said. (its not you, its me - aside). If he told her ahead of time - she would have argued with him. she would have been caught on TV having an upset scene with him that would have made her look worse. there are cameras all around, I believe he learned that. This way there is a cut and it is over, she can control the exit interview.

• Love 3

Forgot to mention:

I think part of the reason we don't know the contestants is that they were never introduced to us one at a time. To me, this is one of the failings of Chetan as a showrunner. Part of the reason that the ladies always arrive at the mansion one at a time is so the bachelor and the audience can meet each one individually. Chet's pool party approach didn't allow for that. I bet Everlasting's audience is experiencing the same thing as us.

I enjoyed the basketball player's candle drop moment.

I snickered at the Costco coffin product placement. And I half expected John Booth to say that one of his businesses was selling coffins to Costco.

Jay seems to be the only real romantic on the show.

• Love 5
(edited)

Without looking at the other posts - Well played, Show! I like what you did with Darius and Ruby. I mean, I hoped they'd be together, but once she said he could "be more than he was," that should have been it - and it was. You've got to accept a man as he is and as soon as you start wanting to change him, it's over. Sad but well done.

Jeremy's got to be history. Good on Chet, for once. 

Someone mentioned that Jay is the only true romantic on the show, and he may be one, but you know who else is? Quinn. No, really. She almost fell for it in Season One with Chet, and I think that's part of her huge attachment to *Everlasting* - being able to control how romances turn out, which she just hasn't been able to do in real life.

This was a better episode and am really wondering what Rachel will do about Jeremy.

Edited by okerry
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, RCharter said:

Well, this show has officially left me no one to root for.

1. I'm so over Rachel its not even funny.  Both work relationships she had went straight to hell, and what does she do?  Jump straight into another work relationship, because she apparently isn't smart enough to realize that these things don't work out for her.  Last year I could forgive her, she was clearly unbalanced and went away to help herself.  She fell in love with someone else almost by accident.  But this year she is actively hooking up with a man and using her sex to get stuff that she really hasn't earned.  For whatever reason Quinn goes to that awards ceremony.  If someone had actually sent Rachel those tickets, it would be one thing, but the only reason she is getting to go is because she is Coleman's squeeze.  This is the sort of thing that Rachel would look down on from any of the other women.  And then for her to go along with what was happening to Ruby/father was just disgusting.  I hate this Rachel.

2. I'm also over Quinn -- I get it girl, you're a badass and you don't care, but so far you've managed to nearly paralyze a man and now you're actively involving someone's parents...when you gave them assurances that they wouldn't be taped?  Are you that upset that you didn't have a good relationship with your dad?  Does one woman need to feel powerful by taking down another powerful young woman?  But at the very least, Quinn owns her shittiness, whereas Rachel is just a simpering fool.

3. I'm also over Darius.  Yes, I get it, you already have mouths to feed, you don't want to take on the responsibility of being an activist as well.  But maybe you could have mentioned that before you blindsided the girl on TV.  Or maybe you could have just let her win and see where it went.  If there is anything that is going to make "black twitter" hate you, its going to be letting a beautiful, intelligent girl like Ruby go just because her dad is upset that he caught you sleeping with her and because she is asking you to stand up for your community.  He didn't need to embarass her on TV, and he is a giant asshole for doing it.

4. I do think that Coleman is doing that expose.  Those glasses look like Google glasses, or some sort of frame that could hide a camera.  Since I hate everyone on this show, except Ruby, now I'm rooting for Coleman.  Heck, I'm almost rooting for Chet at this point.

Ruby deserved to be blindsided. She basically told him that he wasn't good enough the way he is but she could make him "better" and more worthy of her.   I'd have blindsided her ass too. 

• Love 6