Type keyword(s) to search

The Opening Ceremony: Let's Party!!

4 minutes ago, maraleia said:

This Opening Ceremony proves that American's lack an understanding of South American countries to a degree that is alarming and that needs to change. It says something that we have no idea what they are trying to convey with this performance.

Then enlighten me.  Please.  

I'm surprised by how much I've enjoyed the opening ceremony so far.  I guess it's fairly well known that the production was done on a budget but I really like the colors, music, and creativity of it.  In addition they've shown some actual Brazilian history and culture as 20 years later I still cringe at the memory of the tacky redneck pickup trucks featured in the opening ceremony in Atlanta.

For the record I adore Bob Costas and can't wait for his snark.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Never thought I'd say this but Gisele rocking in the stands is the best thing I've seen so far.  She really is gorgeous.

I loved her standing next to the Portuguese Mario Brothers.

Overall I'm actually doing some work, and only occasionally watching the tv.  This is pretty boring (which is the worst thing you can be).

But hey Dame Judi Dench. 

ETA: Mostly just posting the funnier commentary from my Wife, she wanted me to make sure that was clear.

Edited by Matt K
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Chrissytd said:

Gosh, how many times are they going to cut to Gisele?

With the cheap oil prices, she might be like 5% of their whole economy now.

Pretty funny for Brazil to be going on about global warming while being so polluted in their own way. I think they were happy to show that their satellite view had less ocean flooding than most. You know... because they're like 90% hills.

Any bets none of these canned film bits show the piss poor tenements that are most of the city.

• Love 3
Just now, MissT said:

Wow. This is boring.  I'm ready for bed.  I mean there are commercial breaks every 8 minutes.   

It could be worse, the beginning had 3 mins of commercials every 4-6 min of broadcast.  I think I really just tuned out then.  But I agree, this is ridiculous. 

5 minutes ago, maraleia said:

This Opening Ceremony proves that American's lack an understanding of South American countries to a degree that is alarming and that needs to change. It says something that we have no idea what they are trying to convey with this performance.

I did like the part where they showed the world what will happen when/if the sea levels rise across the world. Maybe that will wake people up to climate change.

You don't think there's more than a little hypocrisy in them showing that?  They not only have polluted their own country pretty badly in recent years, but also one could even argue that Oil is the backbone of their economy (albeit the industry being on hard times now), and Oil--their product--is one of the core causes of global warming.

So they are lecturing on something they're helping to happen.

• Love 2

NBC doesn't need to promote Gymnastics, people will watch that. How about promoting something that the average Joe is not familiar with?

Sometimes  NBC front loads the commercials so they don't need to take breaks later. We'll see.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Fostersmom said:

I always feel bad for the athletes who are the only one from their country. I worry they are lonely. 

I'm sure they're more happy to be there than lonely.

Well normally. It might be different if the venue is a hellhole. Like Rio arguably might be right now, if you go into the ocean, or a few blocks away from the tourist areas.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, kattybiz said:

Dear Meredith, shut up about all the sports rivalries.  Thanks much.

I dislike being told about that too, but it's not like she's popping it in on her own initiative, is it? Some writer thought this was a necessary thing for her to say at that moment.

Except for some completely ill-advised mustaches, this is an amazingly good looking group of athletes. What I wouldn't do to stay in the village for a bit ( and be in that kind of shape)

• Love 1

I do like that, unlike previous Olympics, the athletes can just break out after they've marched in, and mingle with other countries' athletes, instead of having to stay together. 

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, ExplainItAgain said:

Yes! They'll be second to last, right before Brazil.

that's cool :) 
i'm curious of why they aren't in the IOT - but i guess they wanted to have a specific delegation for them. 

• Love 1

I love the little kids with the tree saplings. Considering the theme...are they going to pop up again?

EDIT: Oh, Meredith just said they are getting planted in the athletes village. Cool.

Edited by ExplainItAgain
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, AimingforYoko said:

What winter sports do they do in Bermuda?

I don't know but they are always there.

eta, according to wiki, at the last winter olympics they had a cross country skier .

Edited by galaxygirl76
  • Love 1