Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Devil May Care

(edited)

Wow, that was just plain stupid.  On so many levels.

Chandler holds the Chinese premier hostage for fuel and information. At least the premier copped to trying to kill Chandler-- I guess that means Val really is dead.

Takahaya hates the Americans apparently because the cure didn't cure him in particular, but transfusions from people who have been injected with the cure fixes him up for a while (blood typing be damned) so he needs fresh injections on a regular basis.  And the Americans must pay because of all people they killed (I have no idea who exactly he's talking about here, when did the Americans supposedly do this) -- that has to be some of the weakest dumbass reasoning ever.

And all that fancy modern sonar gear can't detect old-timey World War 2 era mines -- please !!  That is beyond stupid.

So Takahaya has had time in the last 2 years to build an immense pirate organization and mine select portions of the ocean in his spare time.  They didn't even know about a cure until 6 months ago, who were they mining the ocean floor against -- whales ?  dolphins ? Godzilla ? Kaiju ?

Skywave -- I guess there really has been a technological revolution in the last 6 months if they can broadcast streaming video across old ham radio frequencies. Remember last year that Val was broadcasting via the ever-powerful Bluetooth networks.  I can't believe that they got all these continental and intercontinental real-time communications working in just the last 6 months.

The non-elected Presidential confidence nonsense is just filler and makes no sense at all -- the world went to shit, about 90% of the population is dead, and people are complaining that the trains aren't running on time and the President hasn't contacted people personally about their loved ones in peril fast enough.  The fuck ??  

The stupidest thing in the episode -- when that reporter ambushes the mother of the sailor (the one being tortured in the video) in the parking lot of the local grocery store as she's trying to get into her car.  So does everyone have a car now ?  And fuel to run it ? In order to go get groceries, just like the good old days like the red flu had never even happened ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 5
(edited)

Here we are 4 episodes in and we haven't moved an inch. Shades of Hershel's farm! (TWD)

They need Tex back for some humor. And really, even only seeing her in, what, 2 and 1/2 episodes, I so prefer Val to the James Bond-ish super slim, perfectly coifed, nails just so, chick. That kind of beauty crap takes me out of an episode so quick.

Edited by JackONeill
  • Love 5

My theory:

President Peng was only doling out the cure to his "select" people that he wanted to live. The rest could "go to hell", so to speak.

The Americans, bascially on their little humanitarian mission, dropped the cure off to Pres Peng and his minions and military, naively assuming that Peng and Co would actually distribute to cure to all (ah, foolish ones).

Takahaya was one of those pirates who Peng hated, therefore he and his people didn't get the cure.

Sasha sidled up to Peng, to get the inside scoop and access to information - because she is working with Takahaya

Peng, knowing that Sasha and Jesse were "stealing" the cure, let them - because he knew it was vials of coloured water, with fake US labels on them. S and J thought they were "smuggling" the cure, when in reality Peng and company just provided vials of coloured water for their taking.

This entire episode, the looks, the words, the actions, all made me think this is what was really going on. Just a theory, mind you.

Still an insane show.

• Love 6
55 minutes ago, HalcyonDays said:

My theory:

President Peng was only doling out the cure to his "select" people that he wanted to live. The rest could "go to hell", so to speak.

The Americans, bascially on their little humanitarian mission, dropped the cure off to Pres Peng and his minions and military, naively assuming that Peng and Co would actually distribute to cure to all (ah, foolish ones).

Takahaya was one of those pirates who Peng hated, therefore he and his people didn't get the cure.

Sasha sidled up to Peng, to get the inside scoop and access to information - because she is working with Takahaya

Peng, knowing that Sasha and Jesse were "stealing" the cure, let them - because he knew it was vials of coloured water, with fake US labels on them. S and J thought they were "smuggling" the cure, when in reality Peng and company just provided vials of coloured water for their taking.

This entire episode, the looks, the words, the actions, all made me think this is what was really going on. Just a theory, mind you.

Still an insane show.

That sounds about right -- there's no mutation, everyone else has been getting blue Kool-aid.  And eventually Chandler will figure that out because there was a teeny-tiny dribble of "cure" in the vial that Takahaya has kept for sentimental reasons/plot convenience.

So here's the question -- have none of Takahaya's fellow pirates taken the cure ?  They haven't enslaved other locals who have been cured ?  Are there no natural immunes in southeast Asia ?  Does this mean that Takahaya is a carrier since the red flu reccurs if he doesn't get a fresh fix ?  Did the writers REALLY think this all the way through ?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

transfusions from people who have been injected with the cure fixes him up for a while (blood typing be damned) so he needs fresh injections on a regular basis.  

And all that fancy modern sonar gear can't detect old-timey World War 2 era mines -- please !!  That is beyond stupid.

FWIW, they did call Mike Mr. O Negative, which is the universal donor blood type. but it's still a lot of hand waving. Also his first transfusion was incidental (he was shot) but he got blood from someone who got the injection cure? Relatively few people got the injection version, and all of those were in the US. How did that happen.

As for the sonar, IIRC last year they were pretty good about not using active sonar (it gives away your position, not a good thing to do if you are worried about subs). Also not sure why sonar would set off some mines, unless it was the iron principle of "this will look dramatic on TV".

Yes, it seems like a tampered with cure is the most likely explanation. Not sure why Japan's cure got delivered via China, especially since Japan is a longstanding US ally and big enough to get its own shipments.

I enjoyed tonight's episode. I liked how Chandler & his crew infiltrated Peng's residence.Is Sasha a double agent?

It's confusing to follow the status of the USA. Who was President Michener talking to on the TV monitors? Some people were Senators of States. The lady from Texas didn't have a title. She mentioned Texarkana. Did states merge after the virus?

It was bizarre to watch the reporter chase down the mom in a parking garage. She had some packaged foods in her bags. Has food production been fully restored?

The International intrigue is fun, but I think the show could have focused on all the warlords all over the USA for season 3. It looks to easy for the USA government to be restored so quickly.

3 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

And fuel to run it ?

That's a question that has been running around in my head for quite some time.  If the population has been devastated, how do you allocate scarce resources (labor) into areas that need production?  Production/refining/transportation is a labor intensive industry, although the product is indispensable.  Much of packaged food for consumption is not, although very much desired by some subsets of the population.

As was identified last season by folks in here, just organizing the new republic USA would require a martial law.  All the niceties of the constitution went away with the virus.  Just as Takehaya had his own little piece of the world, so, too, would regional leaders have the same in the USA.  These would likely be ex-military and they would not think twice about imposing their own law.  Would all of hem do so benignly, simply understanding that it was necessary?  Nope.  we saw last season there would be the usual number of alpha men who would become power mad.

Jacob, the journalist, would be imprisoned.  

I think Pang wanted Chandler dead simply because he was the most capable warrior in the USA of whom he was aware.  He knew, and knows, Michener would never choose any war, hot or cold, with China.  This goes triple if he does not have Chandler there to urge him to be bold.  Michener has a super weak foreign policy hand to play, anyway.  Chandler or no.  

My favorite moment of this ep was seeing the puffed-up bag of chips in the grocery bag.  The world may collapse, but Frito-Lay, by God, bows to nothing!  

• Love 2

That sure was a smart move on the Chinese bodyguards' part.  Surrounding our heroes with all your weapons pointing in toward the center.  What do you think will happen when you begin firing? Duh.

• Love 3

Sasha is clearly being set up to be more then she's letting on.  Maybe not actually evil, but she will probably end up having some kind of agenda of her own.  It so, then I guess Bridget Regan really is the go to actress to play characters who suddenly become someone they aren't at first.  She already did that on Agent Carter and White Collar (and I heard she did that on Jane the Virgin too), so it checks out!

So, the reason Takahaya needs all that blood, is because he's actually sick and the cure he got never worked.  So, he needs cured blood, because it can temporarily keep him going.  He doesn't necessarily need the Nathan James crew's blood, but he's doing that just because he's pissed and wants revenge.  I'm guessing this is going to end up being all Pang's doing.

I still don't know where they are actually going with this pesky reporter thing.  Although, I guess it isn't surprising that Milcher is struggling in his new role.  He never was fully prepared for this and, really.  It doesn't matter if they just recovered from a virus outbreak and are trying to rebuild civilization. People will still come down on the President for every mistake.  I would not want that job.

The captives new plan now is Jeter using some kind of wire to create a signal with the radio tower.  I guess that will work.  Too bad that the Nathan James is currently stuck in a mine field right now!

• Love 1

When they showed all the TV screens in the Presidential media room, there were no less than 6 separate news channels playing the captured sailors with on-screen captions like -- Abducted Sailors Heat up Trade Talks, Ransom Demands Made US Base in Okinawa to be evacuated, Nathan James still in Asia whereabouts unknown (complete with a helicopter eye view of the NJ -- I wonder if it was a live feed, a dedicated NJ channel), and Negotiations with China on Hold all by various 2-bit channels (AMT News, VCN News Network, ATH News, Channel 8).

I'm pretty sure at this point that Elisabeth Rohm's character (Miss Shaw) is probably working for the pirates as their "inside man".  Because why not ?

I loved it when the head of the Presidential security stared straight into the camera of the UAV -- that is some Jack Bauer level bullshit right there.

4 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

My favorite moment of this ep was seeing the puffed-up bag of chips in the grocery bag.  The world may collapse, but Frito-Lay, by God, bows to nothing!  

Chips and cereal.  No wonder people are going hungry.  She had a box of Froot Loops in her grocery bag -- why in the fuck are they making Froot Loops ? Plus, it's only been 6 months since the events of S1, how many crop yields have they had in that time to be cranking out chips and cereal ?

Skywave -- I guess there really has been a technological revolution in the last 6 months if they can broadcast streaming video across old ham radio frequencies.

And you can pick up an HD signal with rabbit ears!

Honestly. The search and rescue of the crew captured by pirates is easy enough to follow, but the rest of the story they came up with to keep this show going just isn't very engaging. And that scene where the President was talking with his - counterparts? - all over the country - wow that was some bad writing there. It was just so damn corny I was embarrassed to watch it.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Well, Sasha had a spunky ponytail and the perfect shade of pink lipstick for a raid. Civilization is saved. 

The ex Soldier In me literally cringed when her tablet lite up the night during their covert infiltration 

• Love 1

She mentioned Texarkana. Did states merge after the virus?

Texarkana is a real town on the Texas/Arkansas border. I believe there's another one also called Texarkana on the AR side. It's possible though in this wacky world that Texas has indeed taken over the some of the weaker neighboring states.

The non-elected Presidential confidence nonsense is just filler and makes no sense at all -- the world went to shit, about 90% of the population is dead, and people are complaining that the trains aren't running on time and the President hasn't contacted people personally about their loved ones in peril fast enough.  The fuck ??   

Nothing can defeat us spoiled Americans and our silly First World problems and expectations, not even a pesky pandemic.

Yep, I do think Sasha is working with Takahaya. But why? Does she get a cut? I'm still getting an iffy vibe about Jesse too.

Wonder what the Twitter feeds and Facebook pages are like in this universe? And Reddit must be amazing.

(edited)
On 4/7/2016 at 6:15 AM, JackONeill said:

Here we are 4 episodes in and we haven't moved an inch. Shades of Hershel's farm! (TWD)

They need Tex back for some humor. 

So true...!!!

Edited by ttgreif
  • Love 2

Instead of pursuing this lame and hackneyed plot, why don't we have aliens be the ones behind the original plague?!? 

The aliens come back expecting to find a nearly deserted planet but they had underestimated the ability of people with really square jaws.

So, it's the aliens against the Nathan James!!!!!!!

[I am only partially kidding.]

• Love 1
(edited)

Instead of pursuing this lame and hackneyed plot, why don't we have aliens be the ones behind the original plague?!? 

Falling Skies (now cancelled but also on TNT) had a brief story arc where they could've crossed paths with the Nathan James. At the time I thought it would've made a great crossover story for characters from the two shows to meet. The Falling Skies people would be complaining about fighting things from spaceships while the Navy people would be overjoyed to learn that they're not only facing a worldwide killer virus but also aliens. I think it would've been hilarious.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 3

The way I see it, 90% of population is dead, the world wasn't "destroyed" (like an alien invasion or the dead roaming the earth) I could see plenty of resources still available (gas, chips, fruit loops) because who is there to take it? I'm sure they are some rogue groups like in season 2 hoarding supplies and laying in wait for a season 4 story arc but I don't find it unbelievable that smart people (techs, engineers, doctors and the like) survived the plague and is working on rebuilding the world. The Nathan James alone is stocked full of smart people. Some of it is a little out there but why wouldn't satellites and the like still work if some of those people survived?  This entire nation was built before technology so I don't find it that hard to believe that people with resources can't find a way to do it again.

I also believed in the Easter Bunny well after it was socially acceptable so what do I know.

• Love 2
(edited)

The thing I don't know (and I can understand why TPTB haven't specifically answered) is: what's left? I mean, and just limiting this to the US, how many people are left? Is it 40%? Is that consistent throughout the country, or are there pockets with higher/lower numbers? What's the shape of the military? Local and state police? And has all looting ended? (Unlikely. See below.)

We've already seen that though there is a political system in place, it already shows some signs of erosion, e.g., those with corn flakes and those without. And if they're bitching about that, there have to be other, more significant issues.

Certainly, there have to be factions who have a different view of how the world should be rebuilt. Yes, we saw some of that in the first two seasons, but I can't believe everybody's fat and happy except for whether they have cereal or not. There are bigger issues. There always are even in relatively good times.

Now, I realize this is TV. I know we can't deal with every problem. I also know there was a time jump between seasons which I guess was a way to "show" off-screen the resolution of some of these things (without actually showing them).

But, for me, all this sudden, new international intrigue is a big, and cheap, jump from REAL drama. But I understand that TPTB are major hawks who believe the US military can do nothing wrong. I guess they don't want to show the US against the US. Again, I realize the first two seasons showed some of this. But I think there's still lots of drama along those lines.

Edited by JackONeill
  • Love 1

I believe it was said somewhere in the first season that the virus had wiped out 80% of the population.  Presumably, areas with greater population density were hit harder.  20% is still a lot of people in the world and and could keep some level of infrastructure going assuming the survivors had sufficient skill set.  However until the Nathan James returned, there was a fatal, highly communicable disease running rampant across the planet.  Most people were likely trying to isolate their families, only venturing out for what supplies were needed for survival (much like we saw that captain's family in season 1).  In that situation, most people aren't going to risk going to work to keep the GPS satellites up, package Honey Bunches of Oats or keep the local Waffle House open 24/7.     

• Love 1

I am SO glad that I spent a week of my life binging the first two seasons of this only to be let down by a terrible storyline for season 3. I will keep dvr-ing this but I'm going to follow along here and see if there's anything worth watching. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, missbonnie said:

I am SO glad that I spent a week of my life binging the first two seasons of this only to be let down by a terrible storyline for season 3. I will keep dvr-ing this but I'm going to follow along here and see if there's anything worth watching. 

The first two seasons are really really good!! 

• Love 2

The thing I don't know (and I can understand why TPTB haven't specifically answered) is: what's left? I mean, and just limiting this to the US, how many people are left? Is it 40%? Is that consistent throughout the country, or are there pockets with higher/lower numbers? What's the shape of the military? Local and state police? And has all looting ended? (Unlikely. See below.)

Realistically, I would expect the most urban and populous areas of the planet to be the hardest hit. Remote rural towns could have potentially escaped the virus. That scenario does not lend itself to keeping urban technology going, like gas manufacturing and satellite equipment. 

But, for me, all this sudden, new international intrigue is a big, and cheap, jump from REAL drama. But I understand that TPTB are major hawks who believe the US military can do nothing wrong. I guess they don't want to show the US against the US. Again, I realize the first two seasons showed some of this. But I think there's still lots of drama along those lines.

Well the problem is this show is supposed to be about a naval ship. They have to figure out a way to keep that ship as a central focus. So exploring the rebuilding of the United States (where the most likely survivors were not coastal) doesn't lend itself to utilizing the Navy much. And if they did explore more of the rebuilding of the US it could veer dangerously near the premise of "Revolution" which was a colossal mess. Both shows, even now, rely heavily on action-adventure tropes. 

It's just that with the cure now discovered/invented the original premise of this show is pretty much over, so now the show is relying exclusively on action-adventure tropes to keep it going. 

• Love 3

Was it ever established if the Nathan James sailed all the around one of the Capes in order to get to SE Asia from St. Louis?  Because I don't think it would be one of the top priorities in Panama to get the Canal operational again.  And either journey is a long one.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Dowel Jones said:

Was it ever established if the Nathan James sailed all the around one of the Capes in order to get to SE Asia from St. Louis?  Because I don't think it would be one of the top priorities in Panama to get the Canal operational again.  And either journey is a long one.

Well if they have the fueling capabilities to make that trip with destroyers and aircraft on transcontinental flights then I would figure that Panama's second goal would be to get tolls for the canal. It only makes sense if 80%death rate was a projection and they didn't account for the naturally immune 

Another corner that they've (sort of) painted themselves into is that the Nathan James is now Slattery's ship. Captain Tom has been assigned to a desk by the President. Everybody, including the Prsident, Cap'n Tom himself and Slattery (as well as the viewing public) see the wisdom in that. Okay, they've openly defied that now, but what of the future shows. How many times is Cap'n Tom going to get away with playing Captain Kirk and running off to save the universe, er, I mean country. Technically, he shouldn't even be on the Nathan James. It's not his ship. But I understand why in THIS situation. But later -- what? Something doesn't hold water. (See what I did.)

• Love 1

I would figure that Panama's second goal would be to get tolls for the canal.

I don't want to get into a long winded discussion about economics and trade and such, but, basically, trade is built on one principle:  You have what I want/need, and I have what you want/need.  The money involved is just a means of transfer; it is worth nothing on its own.  Unless there is a)some kind of global trade going on already, and b)some kind of stability that would incur a global currency exchange, Panama would have no use for other countries' currency, and the other countries would have no other means of paying for the tolls.  I only bring this up because the show has yet to illustrate why or how any of the stability shown has occurred, even within the US.  F'rinstance, I assume that the Nathan James left some kind of IOU with the Vietnamese for the ship's fuel, or, they just took it.  Probably not good policy in either case.

• Love 1

This show is ridiculous & yet I like it anyway. I try not to think about it too much & that makes it easier to enjoy. I will say that I find the political wrangling at home boring & the rouge reporter complete fast forward material. Give me the military porn, the convoluted plots, the action, the plotting of our crew & I'm good. And to stay consistent with almost every comment I've ever posted regarding this show: Wolf...  Yum, so pretty!

• Love 2

I just sort of sit back and enjoy it.  I like the characters and the military stuff and don't mind the reporter.  The presidential/political stuff is OK. 

I do agree that the original premise was the LAST ship and the show now feels a little unfocused, like should they focus on the cure, will the virus or whatever mutate, should they focus on getting America up and running, should they focus on what's going on in the world....but they realize that most viewers were here for the action of the ship so how to tie it in?   Anyway, that's all of the analysis I'm going to give this show :)  I am glad to see Dichen Lachman though we didn't need to lose Val too.   I do wonder why Elizabeth Rohm is here, she gets barely any lines...and the woman with the dark hair assisting the President reminds me of Jennifer Connelly.

• Love 1

The series should have stopped with the establishment of the U.S. Government in St. Louis and the start of the global distribution of vaccines. Now the story is getting more and more outlandish with more and more techie bullshit with no grasp of reality. 

They did it last season, but since the story was somewhat made sense and the portrayal of naval procedures pretty much detailed, I let it pass. That is, the trope that since one is in military service, one is Infantry. Pensacola: Wings of Gold did it (aviators played to be Infantry), JAG did it somewhat (aviator and JAG), Last Resort did it too (submariners). Interestingly, all shows are about Naval personnel...

Last season I also let it pass because their opponents were either riff-raff with no military training or just like them, seafarers. But this time they suppose to face the whole presidential guards and... WTF, why do I have to explain this?

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, TV Anonymous said:

The series should have stopped with the establishment of the U.S. Government in St. Louis and the start of the global distribution of vaccines. Now the story is getting more and more outlandish with more and more techie bullshit with no grasp of reality. 

They did it last season, but since the story was somewhat made sense and the portrayal of naval procedures pretty much detailed, I let it pass. That is, the trope that since one is in military service, one is Infantry. Pensacola: Wings of Gold did it (aviators played to be Infantry), JAG did it somewhat (aviator and JAG), Last Resort did it too (submariners). Interestingly, all shows are about Naval personnel...

Last season I also let it pass because their opponents were either riff-raff with no military training or just like them, seafarers. But this time they suppose to face the whole presidential guards and... WTF, why do I have to explain this?

You would think given the world condition they would play it off by inserting a few Marines aboard the smaller number of Navy vessels like Star Trek Enterprise did with the MACO force. But the The Last Ship has been that way from the beginning with a SEAL team playing nursemaid on Dr Scott and her cohorts before they knew the secret. Shouldn't some crew be asking why SEALs are wasting all that time on that mission? And then we got to a SEAL, not just some recent volunteer in a quarantine  standing guard in a watch tower over Norfolk harbor. Everybody has been too good from a few immune mercenaries to Seaman Miller going through his battle drill with Chief Wolf in that first firefight with them, maybe videos games as training future killers have gone that far?

On Wings of Gold did they start as the Special Ops and fighter pilot team and then morph into a Marine only fighter jet school or was it the other way in a reboot to add the Special Forces element?

On the first season of Pensacola, they had a group of officers consisted of fighter pilot, helo pilot, Marine Recon and demolition expert, with the CO a fighter pilot. The missions were varied, mainly on land with all, including the pilots acting like Infantry.

On 07/08/2016 at 7:26 PM, TV Anonymous said:

On the first season of Pensacola, they had a group of officers consisted of fighter pilot, helo pilot, Marine Recon and demolition expert, with the CO a fighter pilot. The missions were varied, mainly on land with all, including the pilots acting like Infantry.

I get that this aspect isn't true to real life, but this is a fiction, for the most part we expect our fictional military characters to be competent and heroic, and, you know, win. I'm not sure that having the characters being a bit shit when it came to armed combat would necessarily improve things.

7 hours ago, BasilSeal said:

I get that this aspect isn't true to real life, but this is a fiction, for the most part we expect our fictional military characters to be competent and heroic, and, you know, win. I'm not sure that having the characters being a bit shit when it came to armed combat would necessarily improve things.

It is common among US Marine Corps characters with their "every Marine is a rifleman" motto leads to the Colonial Warrior types who jump from the cockpit to the ground special forces. I came in own the second season of Pensacola Wings of Gold which was much more realistic just being a fighter pilot school. The problem on The Last Ship becomes that if Seaman Miller or Petty Officer Cruz are shown being the equivalent of commandos from onboard ship on the job training after the Mountain Warfare Team was killed in the first episode then LT Green or Chief Wolf Taylor accomplishments of being special warfare operators suddenly don't look very special, they are  just martial artist

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Raja said:

It is common among US Marine Corps characters with their "every Marine is a rifleman" motto leads to the Colonial Warrior types who jump from the cockpit to the ground special forces. I came in own the second season of Pensacola Wings of Gold which was much more realistic just being a fighter pilot school. The problem on The Last Ship becomes that if Seaman Miller or Petty Officer Cruz are shown being the equivalent of commandos from onboard ship on the job training after the Mountain Warfare Team was killed in the first episode then LT Green or Chief Wolf Taylor accomplishments of being special warfare operators suddenly don't look very special, they are  just martial artist

I take your point and i understand that Green and Taylor are characters that have been specifically trained in combat whilst characters like Miller and Cruz would have been specifically trained to fill technical roles on board the ship, if this were real life. However from a practical point of view there are only so many characters they can have in the show and still expect the casual viewer to remember who everyone is, for that reason there needs to be a degree of multitasking, they also want to present these characters in a positive light, and hence may give them skills and levels of competence that in real life they may not have had. It's a common trope in these sort of ensemble shows to give a small group of characters a wide range of skills so the same characters can do everything.

Ultimately this isn't a documentary about the US Navy, it's a fiction set in a post apocalyptic world where 90% of the world's population has been wiped out by a genetically engineered virus. As long as it entertains me i can accept that some of it isn't 100% true to life.