Type keyword(s) to search

The Bachelor Season 21: Spoilers and Speculation

• Start Topic

Of JoJo's rejects I liked Luke the best for the Bachelor but it's been weeks now and I'm not that enthusiastic anymore. I've forgotten about him.

I like Nick, he seems smart, honest, cares about women (let me clarify - he seems to be friends with them) ... but yeah, for the franchise he's a little used up. 35 is old for this show. I also think the timing of when they cast the girls would not work to his advantage -  with a bunch of young girls who were applying and excited to meet Luke or Chase and they get 35 year old Nick who caused "scandal" for Kaitlin by having sex with her? I just don't see that happening but wishful thinking.

Edited by Refresh
clarify
  • Love 1
On 8/17/2016 at 3:58 PM, chocolatine said:

I think Nick's been around the block too many times now to be taken seriously as a Bachelor. Luke is a much easier sell to the "right reasons" audience. 

Yeah, I think the best time for him might have been after Andi's season.  And while others perceive BiP as Nick's "redemption," I mostly see a guy who's bored and not into anyone.  If the goal is to sell him as looking for love, I'm not seeing it.  I'm not saying he should be, given the artificial environment, but I'm not sure how the show could spin it beyond "Nick was literally and figuratively the most mature person on Bachelor in Paradise - he's really ready for love this time!"

7 hours ago, Refresh said:

I also think the timing of when they cast the girls would not work to his advantage -  with a bunch of young girls who were applying and excited to meet Luke or Chase and they get 35 year old Nick who caused "scandal" for Kaitlin by having sex with her?

I believe Luke is in his early thirties, so there's not much of an age gap. 90% of the women cast are in their "20s," no matter the bachelor's age. 

• Love 2

I can see Jubilee being this season's Amber--girl who did Bachelor then lasted a millisecond in Paradise so back to Bachelor for another chance at finding love.   Add in the Army tie in and it could be a story line that the producers want to promote.   

I'm watching the opener of Chris Soules' season right now. Dear lord, they gave that sweet, boring dude from the middle of nowhere a flock of supermodels. I can't imagine most of the potential bachelor/ettes getting a line-up like that. (Ben didn't, and JoJo certainly didn't.)

Maybe I've been wrong and the Chrises and Lukes of the world are the types that drive the girls crazy.

I can't believe it!!!!!!!!

Running around my living room like I won the fantasy football league... have to explain myself to my husband and the dog now.

ETA: RealitySteve can suck it!

Edited by huahaha
  • Love 6

Nick is the first bachelor who won't be some idealized schlub.  The guy was dumped twice, hated by many, and redeemed himself.  This should be an interesting non harlequin esque season.  As long as he doesn't wear ugly pants and bracelets, that is.  

• Love 11
8 minutes ago, leighdear said:

Nope, not going to watch. 

See y'all for The Bachelorette.  

Not even for the potential trainwreck factor? I already can't wait for his F2 to call him out for "making love" with her at the ATFR. 

• Love 4

OMG - so I am a newish poster but this shocks me in a good way.  Two seasons in a row the 3rd runner up isn't chosen makes for less fame idiots.  Nick is one and I won't argue that point but I think it can only bring more of the Sharleens rather than more of the Laces.  I just think lately it was an audition for BIP/bachelor than  a love fest.

• Love 2

Well, color me shocked! I still think Nick is a mushy-mouthed smarm-ass, but at least he's witty and knows how to handle the ditzes (twins) and the crazies (Ashley I). I'll be watching, firmly on Team Wrong Reasons, of course.

BWT, this is what happens when TPTB mainly casts personality-free, poufy-haired pretty boys for the Bachelorette - we have to fall back on two-time runner-ups. I hope TPTB take note and work harder at casing the next Bachelorette season.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, dom16 said:

Not even for the potential trainwreck factor? I already can't wait for his F2 to call him out for "making love" with her at the ATFR. 

Hee! Don't forget fiancé stuff! I never saw this great redemption, but others did, and that's okay.  His looking bored and not investing in anyone makes a lot more sense now.  If the bolded happens, I will have my popcorn at the ready!

• Love 3
15 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I believe Luke is in his early thirties, so there's not much of an age gap. 90% of the women cast are in their "20s," no matter the bachelor's age. 

Except for the one or two "old" ones who are cresting 30. Thanks for the clarification about Luke.

I'm excited it's Nick (for all the "wrong reasons" and some that are right) - guess BIP was his tryout and he did it. It says something about JoJo's men that Fleiss broke the daisy chain and went back some seasons. Off to the Nick thread...

I'm glad they didn't pick any of the guys from JoJo's season.  I lost interest halfway through and completely stopped watching near the end because all of them were so boring.

I've always found myself paying attention to the tv when Nick's on screen, so I'm looking forward to his season!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Soobs said:

Can someone fill me in on his redemption story arc? Every season I try to watch BIP but everyone blends together and I lose interest.

Nick has been the narrator of this season of BiP.  Lots of talking head bits that have been entertaining.      One great moment, when Ashley I was bawling her eyes out over Jared, he flatly told her she wasn't in love with him and would never be with him.   Best moment of the season, by far.

Then you add in his feud with Josh Murray, who has been edited as a control freak with a horrible temper,  while Nick has been edited as someone that everyone seems to love--Ashley, the Vegas twins, his paradise girlfriend Jen,  Carly, etc you have the "new" Nick. 

I do feel bad for Chase and Luke but hopefully for them, they'll find their girl in real world.  Or maybe they'll follow Chris Lampton's lead and find her in the reject pile of contestants as there are a few decent ones out there that they can meet at reunion events.  

Edited by CindyBee
  • Love 6

This casting makes me giddy for several reasons:

1. Nick's scarves are back!

2. The presence or lack of Nick's facial hair will make for lively debate on this board.

3. Nick is older and seems intelligent - I don't think they can cast a bunch of plastic bleached-blonde ditzes who are 22. The twins are sweet and lovely younger sister-types for Nick, but that's not the kind of woman he wants to marry. We might get a season full of Andi-esque women. Not that I'm Andi's biggest fan, but the lead and his women might leave for room for snark and sarcasm. 

4. A pattern has been broken. The immense pressure to pick someone from the last Bachelor or B-ette season has been lifted. If they can go back two years for Nick, there's always hope for Luke or Chase or even Arie to appear in the future. Everyone's shelf life has increased at least 50%.

5. Josh Murray's giant veins are seething somewhere and about to pop out of his body.

• Love 9

Thanks @CindyBee ! It sounds like maybe he has grown up somewhat.  I have to admit I did not make it through Kaitlyn's season (too much slut shaming and chest thumping), so I don't know if he took that rejection better than Andi's. My impression of him is from Andi's AFR episode where he tearfully talked about doing "fiance type things" in the fantasy suite. He struck me as vindictive and childish. But, that was awhile ago.  

• Love 1

Broke up on the show and they didn't hang out in real life. How that make one in a relationship?

Weak Ben and Tenley except those too hung out outside the show. 

Sounds like they were friendly and she hope for more. Just like on the show where she was more into him than he was into her

Edited by gator12
  • Love 2

I'm trying to figure out what their definition of dating, she flew everywhere in those 2-3 months but only went to LA once early July where he's at. It doesn't look like they saw each other or anybody saw them together base on their social media (people saw Jared and Caila and reported on social media).

And dating and relationship can be two different thing. 

Edited by gator12
  • Love 3

Yeah, I thought Lauren's interview was pretty shitty. Obviously, Jen liked Nick more than he liked her, and they live on different coasts. They hung out for two weeks and then didn't get engaged. He didn't exactly ditch a fiancee of 2 years. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, gator12 said:

I'm trying to figure out what their definition of dating, she flew everywhere in those 2-3 months but only went to LA once early July where he's at. It doesn't look like they saw each other or anybody saw them together base on their social media (people saw Jared and Caila and reported on social media).

And dating and relationship can be too different thing. 

Yeah, I just don't buy that they were in any sort of committed relationship.  I think they stayed in touch after the show and left the door open for more, but it can't have been that serious considering they seem to have only met once since the show and even that was Jen travelling to him, not the other way around. I just don't see Nick intentionally misleading her or calling her his girlfriend, when he's been nothing but honest about where he's at on the show and even broke up with her in the end. He seems pretty big on honesty and openness, but obviously he couldn't tell Jen about the Bachelor gig until it was finalised. Sucks for her if she fell for him, but it didn't seem very mutual so nothing of importance is lost either way.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, nutty1 said:

I am really happy it's Nick, but I was looking forward to Luke. I feel bad for him.

I'm sure it's disappointing, but he's hardly the first. Caila, Arie, and Nick have all been there. RealitySteve created that dynamic.

Reality Steve has posted the first four girls on Nick's season. Other than Kristina, who looks gorgeous, they're pretty underwhelming and will probably get eliminated in the first few weeks. What's funny is that all of them are 25 and younger, so it looks like they're not giving Nick an older cast because he's 36. He was in middle school before any of them were even born!

On September 22, 2016 at 1:39 PM, DancingD said:

Came here to see if anyone posted the girls photos etc. Still can't go to RS site without having to clean my computer.

I'm surprised you were even able to finish reading the page with all those damn pop ups! I just found the pictures on a third-party website.

On September 22, 2016 at 0:20 PM, dom16 said:

Other than Kristina, who looks gorgeous, they're pretty underwhelming and will probably get eliminated in the first few weeks.

I actually think Leila is beautiful. She might also be the second Indian contestant in 21 seasons, so I'm hoping by some small miracle she makes it relatively far and could be a Bachelorette contender in a franchise otherwise terribly lacking diversity in leads.