Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E06: Good Mythical Morning

• Start Topic

(edited)

I was Googling Susie Fogelson (Medusa) to see what she's up to. I liked her and I liked Kermit, but dayum, it's like they've both been erased from the FN universe.

Susie's still on the Food Network site, although nothing's been updated since her last appearance on FNS.  She's strangely silent.

Bob Tuschman (Kermit) has pretty much disappeared from the FN site.

It all seems to date back to August when Brooke Johnson stepped down.  Then Didi O'Hearn came on as Sr VP Programming and Development.

I'm very disappointed with the direction FN is taking.  This Mythical Morning Unicorn Where's Waldo? crap is stupid.  I really hated this ep.

Edited by spiderpig
  • Love 4
On 6/27/2016 at 0:04 PM, allypenguin said:

I thought Joy was incredibly immature and ignorant when working with the kimchi. The way she was gagging at the kimchi smell had me rolling my eyes, you'd think it was the worst thing on earth. If you're on this show purportedly to be a "food authority" can you really poopoo foods that you haven't tried before

On 6/27/2016 at 10:43 PM, grisgris said:

Seriously. Joy had never heard of kimchee? It seems like she has a very narrow exposure to food as well as major fear and disdain of anything new, especially them "fer-in" ingredients. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for a "food authority."

Reluctant as I am to defend Joy, I don't think she said she hadn't heard of kimchi. I was expecting her to, after making that comment about Pad Thai. I believe what she said is that she doesn't like it. Which is very different and a little understandable.  Also everyone seemed to be reacting very strongly to the smell, and did as well to the octopus, leading me to suspect all of those cloches had been sitting under hot studio lights for 8 hours.

So I don't think she's any kind of food authority, but I'll forgive her for having preferences.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, SoCal Mema said:

They're interjecting too much influence from social media into this season.  I don't care that everyone is Instagram'ing pictures of food.  There's also a lot of IG posts with people's feet in a pool but that doesn't mean I need a food show built around it.

That show might be better than this one.

• Love 10
16 hours ago, Amarsir said:

Reluctant as I am to defend Joy, I don't think she said she hadn't heard of kimchi. I was expecting her to, after making that comment about Pad Thai. I believe what she said is that she doesn't like it. Which is very different and a little understandable.  Also everyone seemed to be reacting very strongly to the smell, and did as well to the octopus, leading me to suspect all of those cloches had been sitting under hot studio lights for 8 hours.

So I don't think she's any kind of food authority, but I'll forgive her for having preferences.

I agree. I know what kimchi is. I just don't like it. 

Remember, they were commenting on the octopus leaking and it had been leaking for awhile. The top was stuck. It likely reeked. 

• Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 8:04 PM, lh25 said:

[. . .] her reference to her hubby as her "boo" just grate on me.

Ugh, "my boo" always gives me a rage spike.  Thought it was just me.

• Love 7
On 6/27/2016 at 11:35 PM, bluepiano said:

I'm with you to a point, as I used to post on the forums how Bob and Susie were driving me nuts with their insistence on some family or human interest story for every dish, and especially trying to force contestants to stay in narrow (usually ethnic) boxes.

But the sudden nostalgia for B&S, which I'm guilty of too, shows you just how bad this season is. For all their faults, Bob and Susie did at least maintain the illusion that this show was serious about finding a qualified "food authority"  And that it wasn't just about filling a 60 minute summer time slot with a bunch of reality TV fame whores doing dumb food-related stunts for the amusement of the judges. (Bobby and Giada with their non-stop guffawing have become completely insufferable.)

And like someone wrote earlier, it's a touchy subject, but Jennard and Tregaye seem to be intentionally playing to white stereotypes of the sassy black woman and the "smoove" jiving black man. I can't blame them, as long as Bobby and Giada keep eating up the act. And this week Bobby decided to actually participate in and encourage it. But I still can't help feel that they are laughing "at' rather than 'with' them. It's like Bobby wants Jennard to be his comic sidekick. Kind of weird

I think that Bob and Susie would've at least told them that all the fleekin' and poppin' was hurting their chances to be taken seriously as a potential FN show host.

Lord, you guys are making me think that Tregaye and Jennard are preforming the Food Network's version of the Stepin Fetchit show, which is making me feel weird (but maybe you are right).  I mean Yaku was the best chef of the three and he was sent away first... probably because he never did split or tried to be on "fleek".

I used to call Rob's pants 'manpris" and not in a good way.

If you are a reasonably attractive blonde woman with large breasts, I think Bobby will keep you around even though you fry eggs that are supposed to be poached.  Also, if she had just said something about the fried eggs (like a lot of people do not feel comfortable poaching, so frying is the lazy man's alternative) it would be different.  Those eggs are supposed to be poached, because poaching gives the yolks a creamy texture that goes well with the dish.

If you are a dark haired Italian Lothario wannabe with a borderline offensive accent, Giada's your girl.

• Love 9
On 6/27/2016 at 3:54 PM, HappyDancex2 said:

Is anyone here a black female between the ages of 25-30?  I just realized I don't have a real life point of reference for the antics of Tregaye.  She seems very cartoony to me as if she is trying to mold herself into an acceptable version of a sassy black woman for food tv.  I would like to know if it is authentic or not.  I just can't get my mind around all of the fleek crap because I don't know anyone who uses this archaic word.  White, black, young, old, broad demographics...it just seems like this is a POV bubble.

I'm a little older than 25-30.  And I think Tregaye is too.  I don't mind the sassy black woman if it's authentic.  Octavia Spencer does sassy well :)  My issue with Tregaye is that it is so obviously put on, that it's annoying.  Plus the kids have all pretty much moved on from "on fleek" and "poppin", which makes her overuse that much more cringe inducing.  Tamar Braxton does the sassy black woman who uses all the latest slang much better.  But even she reportedly was let go from The Real because audiences did not connect with her.  Tregaye should take note.  

I will say that her food usually looks really good.  And I like the creative approach she takes to the food challenges.  If she could tone down the presentation challenges she really could be a contender.  

• Love 8
(edited)

After7Only, I totally agree -- Tregaye can definitely cook well and she is very relatable and inviting when she's not "on".  What bugs me is that she is using words that are used by teens and 20-somethings (and as you said, even they've pretty much moved on from those words). I have 3 kids in their 20s and they almost never say "on fleek".  I actually think she does use those words in her real life but she might think about graduating them from her vocabulary!  Per the Food Network bio, she's 31.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, candall said:

Ugh, "my boo" always gives me a rage spike.  Thought it was just me.

Nope.  Definitely not just you.

7 hours ago, qtpye said:

I used to call Rob's pants 'manpris" and not in a good way.

<Snort>  Is there a good way?

• Love 3

Thank you After7Only and MerBearHou for stating it better than I ever could.  I just can't say how much I hate perpetuating negative stereotypes, and why food-oriented shows find it necessary is beyond me.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I have 3 kids in their 20s and they almost never say "on fleek".

So what's the latest?  My friends have yet to meet "fleek"--you can help me lap them by about ten years.  : )

On 6/27/2016 at 9:26 AM, wings707 said:

This show is a programming/revenue decision more than wanting to find another 'star.'  Reality competitions draw more viewers than the stand and stir daytime variety.  If they find a new 'star', excellent, if they don't, so what.  I doubt they began with a winner in mind as some think.  They have no idea how they will work in front of a camera until they try.   I think they just roll with it knowing it is a money maker for them.  

I am warming to both Ana and Erin.  Fine with me that Rob left.  I think Monterey is the likely winner.  She has a Goldie Hawn quality about her (Laugh In).   They can find some place to use her, she is really cute/beautiful.  

It's been this way the whole time.  FNS has been, and probably still is, their best rated prime time show over the years.  All decisions we see, including casting decisions, are made primarily with making THIS show entertaining and successful.  If they also get somebody interesting for the network, that's an excellent bonus for them.  

And I liked Monterey too. 

• Love 2
On 6/29/2016 at 4:55 AM, spiderpig said:

Bob Tuschman (Kermit) has pretty much disappeared from the FN site

Bob was let go from Food Network and I think Scripps entirely. 

(edited)
23 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

It's been this way the whole time.  FNS has been, and probably still is, their best rated prime time show over the years.  All decisions we see, including casting decisions, are made primarily with making THIS show entertaining and successful.  If they also get somebody interesting for the network, that's an excellent bonus for them.  

And I liked Monterey too. 

Yes, I know and post this every season!  LOL.  I hate Guy F with a passion but they do come up with someone who works for them every so often.  I like Jeff Morrow and he has done well for himself.  There is no one else that leaps to mind. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, wings707 said:

There is no one else that leaps to mind

They're still working with Damaris and hoping for the best.  And Eddie Jackson seems to have a decent shot at sticking.

Melissa and Aarti get to hang around sometimes and judge stuff these days. Justin too.

A whole bunch of others have appeared here and there, especially with all of the competitive crap they do now.

And of course, let's not forget they buried Lenny, and that was so bad they seem to have blacklisted Luca and Nicole, both of whom I think were decent enough (and good looking enough) to get a shot at miscellaneous side jobs with FN at some point.

So like you said, it's just a bonus to get a person from this show who has a long shelf life. I certainly don't see one jumping off the page for me in this episode.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, candall said:

So what's the latest?  My friends have yet to meet "fleek"--you can help me lap them by about ten years.  : )

That's the thing.. by the time us grownups learn the new slang and how to use it, the kids have moved on.  And defintiely by the time in makes in the FN.... it's ancient...LOL

• Love 3
(edited)

Late as usual, finally got to watch the episode. Should have just read the comments instead.

i don't know anything about podcasts, and if those two hipster d-bags are indicative of what podcasts are, I doubt I ever will. 

The challenges seemed unfair. Some were overly hard, while others were rather simple.

i agree with Joy regarding kimchi. I spent a year in Korea way back when, and the stench of that stuff still lingers in my mind. The Korean civilians on the base would put that fermented sewage swamp soup in our fridge at work, preventing anything else from ever going in there. To couple that with bread puddin' seemed an impossible task, although I think she had a great idea with hushpuppies, although the judges disagreed.

Damiano, or should I say Giada's future pool boy, once again made what he wanted while ignoring the challenge. But he could put a can of Spaghetti-o's in front of the woman with the blindingly fake smile and she would giggle and say it was authentic Italian. It's funny, when his pairing was announced, I said to my wife that he would probably just do prosciutto and melon and ignore the challenge, which is exactly what he did. He was also even more of a jerk than the two hipster dudes, if that is even possible. 

Slob Rob looked his usual dissheveled self, and his poor performance with the fried calzone sealed the deal. I always thought calzones were baked in the oven, BTW. His things looked greasy, and sloppy, but that is how he looks too. Not to mention, there is no excuse for a guy to wear capris. Ever.

i agree with the multiple posters who disagree with Love Chef Jinnard thinking that dozens of children is something to be proud of. Even if his gramps had two wives, with 18 kids each, that is at minimum 36 years of popping out a kid, unless there was overlap in the women, which is more likely. I like him on camera, but not on a personal level. 

The fleek girl can go at any time. Is there any market for such a stereotyped, juvenile act on this network? What exactly is fleek, I have no idea. Also, her idiotic wave needs to go, too. It's a shame, because if she didn't put on the early '70's sitcom black woman act, she might have the most potential.

i still don't get the whole Ana thing. She seems about as happy as Nancy Pelosi at a Trump rally. She can cook, but comes across as the most miserable person on camera. In the bottom every week, gets saved every week. Something is very fishy about this. I better check Page 6 in the tabloids, maybe she is Bobby's version of the pool girl. Plus, I have never, ever seen fried eggs in Eggs Benedict. I can't imagine someone who purports to be a food expert using fried eggs for that dish. 

I don't even remember what Erin did this week. Besides sitting between the hipster dudes.

6 left, not a star in the bunch. This might possibly be the worst season of this show.

Edited by MajorWoody
my usual typos
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, MajorWoody said:

It's a shame, because if she didn't put on the early '70's sitcom black woman act, she might have the most potential.

That's so true. There are a few moments, when she has dropped the schtick, when I thought she did show some potential. But then she goes on with all her little buzz words and trying way too hard and I wonder if TIIC are pushing her to do it or if she made the choice to come across as fake as humanly possible.

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I'm going to say that I want the fleek and poppin' etc to get off my TV screen!!!  Tregaye can stay for awhile without all of that teen-speak.

Makes me wonder if off-cam Tregaye feeds the homeless and adopts shelter animals.  That would make me love her and blame the damn producers for the way she's depicted.

It remains to be seen.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Makes me wonder if off-cam Tregaye feeds the homeless and adopts shelter animals.  That would make me love her and blame the damn producers for the way she's depicted.

Off camera Tregaye is probably a trained method actor who sips tea and listens to classical music and cool jazz in her down time.

When cameras are about to roll, the producers signal her with "bring on the fleek".

• Love 4