Type keyword(s) to search

Wonderful Things in Mediocre (or Just Plain Bad) Movies

• Start Topic

36 minutes ago, Constant Viewer said:

There's a lot of wonderful things in the movie, the score is glorious and so is the animation....but those gargoyles! It's a movie where everything else is great, except for one thing.

They kind of work if you interpret it as Quasimodo imagining that they’re alive because he’s so lonely and isolated, but yeah, they overdo it so much. 

Although if it weren’t for them, we wouldn’t have this great moment:

Frollo: My dear boy, whomever are you talking to? 
Quasimodo: My…friends. 
Frollo: I see. And what are your friends made of? 
Quasimodo: Stone. 
Frollo: Can stone talk? 
Quasimodo: No, it can’t. 
Frollo: Very good. You’re a smart lad.

Tony Jay’s Frollo was such a masterpiece of condescension, and Quasimodo’s timid resignation was just heartbreaking.

• Love 6

I’ve recently gotten into the Musical Hell YouTube channel, which has revisited a ton of Don Bluth cartoons that were corny at best and completely stupid at worst, among them being Thumbelina, a movie from my childhood that doesn’t hold up now that I’m older. Everything Musical Hell says in its review is 100 accurate, including how the title character comes off as a whiny useless simp, despite being voiced by national treasure Jodi Benson.

However, she gets one good moment close to the end, when she almost marries that creepy mole. After she turns him down at the altar, the creepy frog that’s been stalking her the whole movie crashes the wedding and tries to kidnap her again. Thumbelina shouts: “No! I no marry you! I’m going home!” And promptly kicks him in the face before taking off.

It’s not so much a “hell yeah” as a “FINALLY!” moment, because it’s the first time in the whole movie she grows a spine and finally does something to help herself. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

among them being Thumbelina, a movie from my childhood that doesn’t hold up now that I’m older.

Eh - it didn't hold up back then either, IMO. There were some cringe moments that even I as a kid could recognize.

But at least you remembered something good about it, because I am blanking....

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Trini said:

Eh - it didn't hold up back then either, IMO. There were some cringe moments that even I as a kid could recognize.

But at least you remembered something good about it, because I am blanking....

I kind of have a soft spot for “Let Me Be Your Wings” but that’s it.

• Love 3

I don't if I think Doctor Strange is a mediocre movie or not (it's definitely a bit pro forma by Marvel's origin story standards), but the scene where the Ancient One slows down time to watch the storm before she dies is beautiful.

• Love 4

As much as I hate My Sister’s Keeper, the movie deserves credit for giving us the realistic ending of Kate dying on her terms and Anna finally being awarded custody of her own body, instead of sticking to the horrendous book ending of Anna being killed in a car crash and Kate making a miraculous recovery.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

the horrendous book ending of Anna being killed in a car crash and Kate making a miraculous recovery.

Seriously?!  That's how the book ended?

Then, yes, props to a mediocre film - I watched it once on TV, and, as I said in another thread, the only reason I stuck with it to the end was for the two sisters and the lawyer's dog - for providing a far better ending than its source material.

I'm going to be shaking my head about that book ending the rest of the day.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Bastet said:

Seriously?!  That's how the book ended?

Then, yes, props to a mediocre film - I watched it once on TV, and, as I said in another thread, the only reason I stuck with it to the end was for the two sisters and the lawyer's dog - for providing a far better ending than its source material.

I'm going to be shaking my head about that book ending the rest of the day.

What’s even more mind-boggling is that Jodi Piccoult called the ending a “realistic scenario for the family.” This after she spent the whole book hammering home that even if Kate got the kidney, she most likely wouldn’t survive the transplant anyway. And yet the second Anna dies and they harvest the kidney, Kate is somehow able able to beat the odds.

In what universe does Piccoult live in?!? No, don’t answer that. How this hack is a best selling author is beyond me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

In what universe does Piccoult live in?!? No, don’t answer that. How this hack is a best selling author is beyond me.

Jodi Picoult also wrote a storyline in the Wonder Woman comics several years ago, in which (according to the ever reliable comic reviewer Linkara) Diana is a complete and utter ninnymuggins who doesn't know how to pump gas or use a credit card.

Diana. Y'know, Wonder Woman? Millenia-old Princess of the Amazons? Who has lived on Earth, saved lives, held jobs, had relationships, wrote a damn book at one point... can't pump gas or use a credit card?!!??

Next time someone feels like shitting on Patty Jenkins for how Wonder Woman is portrayed, just remember that Jodi Picoult's version is so, so, so much worse.

Speaking of which...

Wonder Woman 1984: Steaming mess of a movie, which is unfortunate. Still, the opening scene? Great. The mall fight? High-spirited fun. Diana's wardrobe? Fabulous. 

• Love 8
55 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Wonder Woman 1984: Steaming mess of a movie, which is unfortunate. Still, the opening scene? Great. The mall fight? High-spirited fun. Diana's wardrobe? Fabulous. 

And the flying scene? Spectacular.

Holy shit, Piccoult wrote Diana to be that dumb? 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️I keep finding more reason to hate her.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 8

Fright Night (2011) - It's a mediocre movie about a vampire terrorizing a suburb that already looked like a horrible place to live in, being in a middle of desert. But it has David Tennant, shirtless and with eyeliner and I am shallow enough that I watched it just for that.

• Love 2

Early in Glitter, when the lead character, Billie, has to move to a group home after her addict mother starts a house fire by falling asleep with a lit cigarette, she brings along an orange kitten.  Later in the movie--probably about 10 years later in the story--Billie (Mariah Carey) shows up at her friends' place in search of a place to stay after breaking up with her boyfriend with an adult orange cat (presumably the same cat) in tow.  The movie was pretty terrible, but it made me really happy that they did that brief follow-up with the very cute cat.  That was more attention to detail than they paid with pretty much anything else in the movie.

• Love 5

While I didn’t like Black Widow all that much, the opening credits sequence to “Smells Like Teen Spirit” was very well done.

Also the part when Yelena and Nat cut off Alexsei’s crass period joke cold by reminding them that the Red Room took all their reproductive parts.

• Love 3

The Bonfire of the Vanities is a jaw-droppingly misguided mess of a film (it's even more tone deaf and appalling today), and I personally think it deserves every bit of its lousy reputation. 

That said... on a purely technical level, it's very well made. From the opening tracking shot, to the good use of Dutch angles and split screens (a Brian dePalma specialty), to the overall look, I'd say it's above reproach.

But only in that regard, and it's not enough to save the movie. Just my two cents.

On 10/26/2021 at 1:52 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

The Bonfire of the Vanities is a jaw-droppingly misguided mess of a film (it's even more tone deaf and appalling today), and I personally think it deserves every bit of its lousy reputation. 

That said... on a purely technical level, it's very well made. From the opening tracking shot, to the good use of Dutch angles and split screens (a Brian dePalma specialty), to the overall look, I'd say it's above reproach.

But only in that regard, and it's not enough to save the movie. Just my two cents.

I've tried SO hard to watch that movie, but the entire thing is re-dubbed with the same dialogue!  Or at least, the first half hour is , because I can never get past that point.  

• Love 1

I don't understand the popular reappraisal Hercules has gotten over the last five years or so.  It's probably the weakest of the post-Lion King 90s Disney canon.

The Greek Chorus, however?  Awesome.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, starri said:

I don't understand the popular reappraisal Hercules has gotten over the last five years or so.  It's probably the weakest of the post-Lion King 90s Disney canon.

The Greek Chorus, however?  Awesome.

And Charlton Heston’s brief bit as the narrator and his “You go, girl”? Gold.

• Love 2

Legally Blonde 2 wasn’t as good as the original. But you know what was great? No relationship drama! Too many sequels feel like they have to create drama with the lead couple, even temporarily break them up. Not Emmett and Elle. Their whole relationship was rock-solid the whole time. Emmett was totally cool with her postponing the wedding, and was one of the most supportive movie boyfriends ever! Snaps for Emmett!

(Shut up, I had to do it)

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Legally Blonde 2 wasn’t as good as the original. But you know what was great? No relationship drama! Too many sequels feel like they have to create drama with the lead couple, even temporarily break them up. Not Emmett and Elle. Their whole relationship was rock-solid the whole time. Emmett was totally cool with her postponing the wedding, and was one of the most supportive movie boyfriends ever! Snaps for Emmett!

(Shut up, I had to do it)

As much as I loathe the sequel, you raise a good point about Emmett and Elle!

Snaps, indeed!

• Love 5

The movie version of HAIR isn't bad per se, but the ending is ridiculous. Once you get over the initial shock you go "Wait, why couldn't he just..." They should have stuck with the stage version which was more powerful and plausible. Anyway the song "The Flesh Failures" is still a banger. I always liked the song "Let the Sunshine In" by the Fifth Dimension but the actual  lead up to that in the theatrical version is awesome.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

The movie version of HAIR isn't bad per se, but the ending is ridiculous. Once you get over the initial shock you go "Wait, why couldn't he just..." They should have stuck with the stage version which was more powerful and plausible. Anyway the song "The Flesh Failures" is still a banger. I always liked the song "Let the Sunshine In" by the Fifth Dimension but the actual  lead up to that in the theatrical version is awesome.

I love that ending. It gives me chill each time.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I love that ending. It gives me chill each time.

LOL Maybe it's because I liked the version I saw on "Head of the Class", where at the end Claude, played by Alex is not at the protest and then he appears as a ghost because he enlisted and just got killed in Vietnam. Berger, played by Eric looks for him yelling his name and doesn't see him, then drops to his knees and yells "CLAAAUUUDE!!!" I now realize how completely unworkable that is on film. Like how would his friends not know where he is for months? 

Screenshot_20220117-183049.thumb.png.48406af20e273ee392e0594ae83ba1d6.png

Edited by Fool to cry
1 hour ago, methodwriter85 said:

I wasn't wild about the new Scream (I'd place it 4th out of 5), but Jenna Ortega really was the MVP of the movie. I hope she's locked down for ensuing sequels. 

I thought the movie was a lot of fun but I do agree she was outstanding.  

20 hours ago, memememe76 said:

The last Twilight movie, whatever it’s called, features my favourite end credits of all time. Weird how I have such affection for the characters and actors when I did not like any of the movies. 

Breaking Dawn Part 2.

I agree. I love the song "A Thousand Years", and it was a great idea to make a closing credits montage with all the characters... and I'm saying this as someone who hated the Twilight series!

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, kiddo82 said:

I thought the movie was a lot of fun but I do agree she was outstanding.  

The lead dragged it down for me. She just wasn't good. Not the worst I've ever seen, especially for horror, but for a franchise that has had some really good actors in parts large and small (Scream 4 was what made me realize that Emma Roberts can be a really good actress in certain types of roles) I just found her really miscast. Especially because Jenna Ortega was standing right there in contrast.

30 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Breaking Dawn Part 2.

I agree. I love the song "A Thousand Years", and it was a great idea to make a closing credits montage with all the characters... and I'm saying this as someone who hated the Twilight series!

Oh I love that song too. I just wish it wasn’t associated with Twilight.

But as long as we’re talking about the entertaining bits, I also got a laugh out of Bella screaming “YOU NICKNAMED MY DAUGHTER AFTER THE LOCH NESS MONSTER!?”

• LOL 2
16 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

The lead dragged it down for me. She just wasn't good. Not the worst I've ever seen, especially for horror, but for a franchise that has had some really good actors in parts large and small (Scream 4 was what made me realize that Emma Roberts can be a really good actress in certain types of roles) I just found her really miscast. Especially because Jenna Ortega was standing right there in contrast.

I actually really liked Melissa Barrera in this and I totally bought the scenes between her and Jenna Ortega.  

On 1/19/2022 at 9:39 PM, memememe76 said:

The last Twilight movie, whatever it’s called, features my favourite end credits of all time. Weird how I have such affection for the characters and actors when I did not like any of the movies. 

I can't believe how many good actors and actresses they had. Anna Kendrick, Maggie Grace, Dakota Fanning, Billy Burke and Michael Sheen? How did they get Michael Sheen?!  And the movies were still terrible. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 1/22/2022 at 6:33 AM, andromeda331 said:

I can't believe how many good actors and actresses they had. Anna Kendrick, Maggie Grace, Dakota Fanning, Billy Burke and Michael Sheen? How did they get Michael Sheen?!  And the movies were still terrible. 

No acting can save a movie from bad writing.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

No acting can save a movie from bad writing.

Yeah; I don't judge any of the actors based on the Twilight films.

But to the topic -

The best part of the unintentional comedy that is Twilight for me is the vampire baseball scene. Hey, I like seeing characters have fun with superpowers. And the actors seemed to be having fun also, so that made it better too.

• Love 3

Give My Regards to Broad Street(1984) is a terrible movie. Sir Paul McCartney is a great singer, songwriter and musician but screenwriting is not his forte.  However "No More Lonely Nights" off the soundtrack is my favorite of his post Beatles songs.

Edited by Fool to cry
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

Buster (1988) starring Phil Collins in the title role and Julie Waters as his wife was IMO a rather tedious and annoying movie which downplayed the criminality of the participants of the Great Train Robbery of 1963 and, essentially, was a big pity party about how Buster and his wife 'suffered' having to live for years in Acapulco, Mexico- only able to watch British soccer games via fuzzy broadcasts with her crying her eyes out over not eating  fish and chips despite the sumptuous feast of Mexican food set before her,etc. Despite the movie's bests efforts, it was hard to root for these entitled folks and, truly, I only felt sympathy for their young daughter and  the wife's  poor aging mother whose own lives were entangled with this duo's entitlement and choices. 

However, it DID have a wonderful soundtrack of classic mid-1960's top rock artists with a few newer  numbers including Mr. Collins's own 'Two Hearts' thrown in. That nearly got me to overlook how unpleasant a movie this was. 

• Love 4
Just now, Blergh said:

However, it DID have a wonderful soundtrack of classic mid-1960's top rock artists with a few newer  numbers including Mr. Collins's own 'Two Hearts' thrown in. That nearly got me to overlook how unpleasant a movie this was. 

I fucking love "Two Hearts"! It's one of my 3 favorite Phil Collins songs. No joke, I fight the urge to "Carlton-dance" every time I hear "Two Hearts". 

• Love 7

Coming 2 America was an inferior sequel, but it did have a few saving graces that made it entertaining:

1) The costumes and hairstyles were phenomenal

2) Lisa and Mary (Leslie Jones) getting drunk together

3) The king’s over-the-top funeral, complete with musical performances and a eulogy from Morgan Freeman

4) Tracy Morgan was a riot, especially in his ZNN fight with Semmi/Arsenio

5) Last, but certainly not least, the wedding end scene with the return of SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!

• Like 1
  • Love 6

Urban Legend (1998)

This was one of the Scream copycats that popped up and I since I was a fan of Scream (practically my childhood horror flick that introduced me to the genre), I got interested in watching it... much to my disappointment. It had fun moments, the way they played up the urban legends, even if it was gimmicky. But gimmicks in film could only entertain for so long, and the film just felt kinda forgettable and generic near the third act, going down the typical looney bin killer reveal that's more derivative than anything. At least Scream had the novelty of two killers (and making the obvious suspect seemed like a red herring at first).

That being said, that opening was brilliant, especially for someone who doesn't live in America like me and didn't know the urban legend of the backseat killer when I first saw the film.

Making Brad Dourif the red herring, giving his character a serial killer vibe with his stuttering, and that wicked reveal as Brad shouted "SOMEONE'S IN THE BACK SEEEEAT!" with that music cue. Damn, such a well-edited scene. If only the rest of the film felt as visceral and clever. I initially liked that she was at least clever enough to bring a bottle of Mace along and using the telephone to smash the door open, so you'd think that this was gonna be a subversion of the typical damsel in distress, but NOPE. Big nope.

Sigh. This scene has always stuck with me, despite the rest of the film existing.

Edited by MagnusHex
  • Love 2

Problem Child- while I think this is one of the most funny and clever movies ever made it's not what the general public feels.

Regardless how can one not find the scene touching when Mr. Healy actually does realize Junior did like him.  

• Love 1

It's another movie I liked not held in high regard by the general public: Who's That Girl

The part where Lauden realizes Nikki is a good person with a good heart is good stuff 

Mighty Ducks 3: average movie imo.  but Charlie getting along with the coach after realizing his backstory and the coach offering advise of playing defense on the ice and in life was good stuff 

• Love 1