Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

I think maybe Jinger worked with Lillian to help get her to accept being baptized. She probably gave some words of encouragement? I'm not going to watch the entire thing, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'd think Jinger's name would be in the title if she was also getting baptized, especially since Jeremy mentioned another guy who couldn't be baptized because his father couldn't make it. 

No, she was not IN the video. It wasn't long and I watched it. Just a regular baptism ceremony. 

But Jeremy made a list of the people being baptized:

"we are baptizing our sister today,   we actually have two others joining today. My wife and Luis.  Then next week we will celebrate the baptism of Jsoeph, whose father couldn't be here this week"

Sounds to me like he is giving a list of the people being baptized that day and then explaining why Joseph somebody will be baptized next week instead of today. 

I think Jeremy baptized Jinger. Why else would he even mention his wife "joining us today".  

Maybe she officially joined Jeremy's church community?  She already considers herself saved and has been baptized so I don't know why Jeremy would re-baptize her.  I wouldn't be surprised if Jeremy did baptize her though.  The Duggar kids have gotten baptized multiple times. I remember Jim Bob baptized some of the kids during their trip to Israel.  Is multiple baptisms a common practice within christian fundamentalism? 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, birkenstock said:

Is multiple baptisms a common practice within christian fundamentalism? 

Oh yes, absolutely.  In this case I think a pass is called for because it's probably meaningful and bonding-related for Jinger, in much the same way that relatives of clergy find it extra special to be married by said clergy, but I've seen it happen countless tiresome times.  There are some knee-jerk sentimentalist insecure idiots signing up for "re-commitment" by repetitive dunking at many a Bible camp type setting, something in the vein of a wedding vow renewal, I guess.  Me, I went once as a child (unrecalled); second as a teen in a lake; and then sat there rolling my eyes at the soppy messes who signed up for a second, third, and for all I know maybe fourth, adult baptism.  (To be charitable, for all I know in retrospect the girls needed it - there were a lot of out of wedlock pregnancies in the church, to the point where they got so desperate they added a sex ed curriculum to youth group.  But I always thought it was just like wedding vow renewals shoring up marriages clichedly hurtling down the road to imminent divorce; the girls needed the emotionalism and the high of repeating the process over and over to "know" they were Christians, and had no trust in prior ceremony, or the practical day-to-day considerations of diligently plodding away in bible study etc..  Some uber strict fundie churches might even consider multiple adult baptisms under the sin umbrella of "doubting your own salvation" - yeah, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.)

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 5

I was IFB and have be baptized so many times.  Every time I switched churches I had to be re baptized because every IFB minister has some obscure issue with "the other" church.  Since they are all independent, they don't have to recognize 'the other guy's" baptism.  I think it's all an ego trip for these ministers but what do I know? 

Jinger might've wanted to be an official member of their church; some churches require that.  Or maybe she wanted to recommit herself? Or maybe it was just very meaningful to have her husband baptize her?  My husband baptized me once and all of our children; it is quite beautiful to have a close family member baptize you. 

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I was IFB and have be baptized so many times.  Every time I switched churches I had to be re baptized because every IFB minister has some obscure issue with "the other" church.  Since they are all independent, they don't have to recognize 'the other guy's" baptism.  I think it's all an ego trip for these ministers but what do I know? 

Jinger might've wanted to be an official member of their church; some churches require that.  Or maybe she wanted to recommit herself? Or maybe it was just very meaningful to have her husband baptize her?  My husband baptized me once and all of our children; it is quite beautiful to have a close family member baptize you. 

This seems so odd to me.  Believe it or not, the Catholic Church recognizes one Christian baptism per lifetime.  Anyone who was ever baptized into a Christian faith and decides to convert to Catholicism, is welcome to do so and there is a service for it, but no baptism.  On Holy Saturday, we have the Easter Vigil.  Many adults who are converting do so at that service, a practice that is thousands of years old.  Those who've never been baptized will have it that night; anyone who has been baptized a Christian, will receive Confirmation in the Catholic faith, but no baptism. Confirmation is also a Catholic sacrament which usually is done at age 13 or 14.  The idea is you get baptized as a baby, then, as you grow, you learn about the faith and Confirmation is your own acceptance into the Church as an adult.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 9

It sounds more like  Jinger just joined that church in the same day that someone else was baptized. I've only been baptized once, but have formally joined churches since in a recognition type ceremony. 

Also many churches baptize infants, who then confirm their faith around age 13 in a confirmation ceremony. Baptists do not baptize infants, they wait until they can proclaim their own faith. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

It sounds more like  Jinger just joined that church in the same day that someone else was baptized. I've only been baptized once, but have formally joined churches since in a recognition type ceremony. 

Also many churches baptize infants, who then confirm their faith around age 13 in a confirmation ceremony. Baptists do not baptize infants, they wait until they can proclaim their own faith. 

This. I think he was just saying Jinger was also there that day, not that she was getting (re)baptized.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

This. I think he was just saying Jinger was also there that day, not that she was getting (re)baptized.

It's nothing special for Jinger to be there. Typically, the entire church is at the baptism.  He mentioned her in a list of people getting baptized. Sounds very baptism-y to me!

I think she was rebaptized.  Maybe Jeremy convinced her that Jim Bob is not a real minister and she needed a real minister to baptize her. 

If she were joining Jeremy's church officially, like a transfer from another church, she would give her testimony, introduce herself during the church service and be welcomed that way. She has been attending since their wedding...April is kinda late to be doing that.  And not outside in some baptism ceremony. Jinger went for a dip! 

Jeremy is really taking over.  First the pants and then a baptism. He has basically undone Jim Bob in a matter of months. 

• Love 2

So Catholics, Anglicans, Lutherans, Eastern Orthodox (the big shot Christian state religions), Presbysterians and Methodists all accept each other's baptisms as being valid. But not by the religion of uneducated rural white trash. Hmm.

muboty.png

Jeremy's circumcision gesture. Just say no to that. You're chopping part of a baby's penis off!    

• Love 11

The issue with the Baptists not accepting a Lutheran, Presbyterian, Catholic, Methodist etc. baptism is because that is an infant baptism and they vehemently disagree on this point and it's a major point for them. Major point that has roots in doctrine.   

The Lutherans, Presbyterians, Methodists, etc all accept an infant baptism as valid so they can make a parallel move from church to church.  

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Marigold said:

yes, to be crystal clear the peeps I was referring to in my post, were my peers in the same congregation in a town of less than 5,000, and had never moved anywhere, thus weren't meeting anyone's outside obligations or strictures by the repeat dunking, no offense intended :) .  

Doctrinally I think the issue for the Baptists re: adult baptism, is that the adult needs to decide, whereas the infant has no choice in the matter and is basically the equivalent of fulfilling the parents' wishes... maybe?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, queenanne said:

Doctrinally I think the issue for the Baptists re: adult baptism, is that the adult needs to decide, whereas the infant has no choice in the matter and is basically the equivalent of fulfilling the parents' wishes... maybe?

You're correct. They want he person to make a conscious decision, not something their parents decided.

Im not Baptist, but have to defend the millions of more normal Baptists, who believe a professing Christian who made a decision on their own, whether at 5 or 95, no matter what the Denomination, only needs to be Baptized once per lifetime.

I have also seen families where when the kids decide to get Baptized, or one spouse, etc, the parents or other spouse who have already been Baptized will do it again as a family thing. In those occasions, the minister has always made it clear that you need one profession of faith (saved, confirmed, whatever you call it), and one Baptism, but sometimes it is nice to reaffirm things as a family together.

i still don't think Jinger was rebaptized. Show me some receipts. Until then, I just think it was awkward wording.

Theyre newlyweds and he's trying to gain an online audience. Advertising that Jinger is there is his way of including his new bride and reinforcing that Duggar connection. As weird as these people are about mixing genders, he may have also been documenting that a female was there to help keep accountable with a female Baptism. Sounds goofy, but I have seen male pastors who require another woman to help dunk, for modesty and accountability sake. I guess it's easy to get hot and bothered when you're administering Holy sacraments. 

• Love 8

Jinger was probably on hand to clean out the baptism tank afterwards. 

I chuckled at the circumcision gesture. Maybe Jeremy can be some kind of fundie moyle if this pastor thing doesn't work out.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

muboty.png

I can't get over the fact that Jer conducts his 'holy ritual' in a stock tank.  Why doesn't he take some of his TLC money and put in a hot tub or something similar in that weed-patch lawn at his church?  

0 0 1 Jer.jpg

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

So Catholics, Anglicans, Lutherans, Eastern Orthodox (the big shot Christian state religions), Presbysterians and Methodists all accept each other's baptisms as being valid. But not by the religion of uneducated rural white trash. Hmm.

This should not make me laugh hysterically but it does.

Ever read Lake Wobegon Days? Another funny example of Americans taking the Protestant -- 'faith is between each individual and God, not to be mediated by anybody else' -- thing to the limit. Those Norwegian-A'murcans up in the northlands of Lake W started off with a church, I think, and then the theological disagreements got so many and so intense that by the time of Garry Keillor's story there was a church in almost everybody's living room -- the Church of Uncle Lars, the Church of Uncle Olaf, and so on and so on.

Catholics have "The Church." Protestants theoretically have as many churches as there are people. I think people of the Duggar/Vuolo/Wobegon persuasion tell themselves that the big Protestant denominations are skating too dangerously close to that Catholic "The Church" thing. But as somebody said upthread, I'm thinking it's a lot of egos. .... Maybe if Jer and the others got actual jobs of some sort they could get their ego satisfaction out of, you know, actually doing something. But I guess this serves the purpose.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

muboty.png

Jeremy's circumcision gesture. Just say no to that. You're chopping part of a baby's penis off!    

Is Jeremy filming himself with his phone, or is he reading his lines off notes?

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Marigold said:

The issue with the Baptists not accepting a Lutheran, Presbyterian, Catholic, Methodist etc. baptism is because that is an infant baptism and they vehemently disagree on this point and it's a major point for them. Major point that has roots in doctrine.   

They aren't all infant baptisms.  I was 12.  But they allow sprinkling or pouring while the Baptists insist on a full dunking.  It is a theological position though.  I had no idea that one Baptist dunking wasn't accept by all Baptists and that Jeremy might be re-baptizing.  I think it's more doubtful that Jeremy is re-baptizing with his church affiliation than that some IFB churches do it.  Although if Jinger's baptism was by dad I can see she might want to have it redone. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Ripley68 said:

Why is he wired with a microphone?  It's not like he's speaking to a crowd of thousands.

Prestige & the honor of letting the whole neighborhood know that something holy is going on at the little churchhouse on the corner.

• Love 4

Probably synched with the tablet he was using, although the camera he has set up certainly has a mic. Maybe Jinger is holding a boom? ? Seriously, I think that she was in fellowship with the lady and assisted in the baptism.

• Love 2

I don't know if it's regional or an anomaly, but in my neck of the woods Protestants are seen more like Catholic-lite.

Maybe Jinger and the microphone is there because it's being filmed?

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Absolom said:

They aren't all infant baptisms.  I was 12.  But they allow sprinkling or pouring while the Baptists insist on a full dunking.  It is a theological position though.  I had no idea that one Baptist dunking wasn't accept by all Baptists and that Jeremy might be re-baptizing.  I think it's more doubtful that Jeremy is re-baptizing with his church affiliation than that some IFB churches do it.  Although if Jinger's baptism was by dad I can see she might want to have it redone. 

The obvious explanation is that Jeremy found some new sins in Jinger that he felt needed to be "washed away."  It's apparent that Jeremy isn't getting rebaptised and that they are not rededicating themselves or something like that.  Nope.  Just Jinger needs the re-dunk.  (She must have been very naughty!)

• Love 1
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I don't know if it's regional or an anomaly, but in my neck of the woods Protestants are seen more like Catholic-lite.

Maybe Jinger and the microphone is there because it's being filmed?

Nah, they'd have Jim the Sound Guy there with the boom if TLC was really filming this. I think this is the stuff that TLC doesn't want us to see. I imagine we'll see Jeremy the Happy Clappy pastor leading his church in song instead rather than the fire and brimstone sermons/baptisms. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I've found that to be so in the northeast.  Down south, not so much.   Lots of strange fundy cults that claim to be Protestant.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, Absolom said:

There are so many various Baptists.  Most mainline ones will accept another mainline one.  I'm  sure a Southern Baptist church will accept another Southern Baptist baptism.  etc. 

Once you get into IFB churches?  They are all independent of each other...so the minister likes to do it again and make sure it's in perfect alignment with his particular church doctrine.  

Who baptized Jinger anyway?  jim Bob? They were homechurching back then?   I think Jinger was rebaptized by her husband.  And I will admit that I think it's nice, if she did. Good for her. 

Although.....JereME is such an awkward preacher, he might've been talking about Jinger making lunch after the ceremony and it sounds like he baptized her! You can't tell with that nutcase.  He zig zags around and waves his arms around....I don't know if he is excited or about to have a breakdown of some sorts. ;)

• Love 5
On 4/25/2017 at 8:19 AM, Churchhoney said:

This should not make me laugh hysterically but it does.

Ever read Lake Wobegon Days? Another funny example of Americans taking the Protestant -- 'faith is between each individual and God, not to be mediated by anybody else' -- thing to the limit. Those Norwegian-A'murcans up in the northlands of Lake W started off with a church, I think, and then the theological disagreements got so many and so intense that by the time of Garry Keillor's story there was a church in almost everybody's living room -- the Church of Uncle Lars, the Church of Uncle Olaf, and so on and so on.

Catholics have "The Church." Protestants theoretically have as many churches as there are people. I think people of the Duggar/Vuolo/Wobegon persuasion tell themselves that the big Protestant denominations are skating too dangerously close to that Catholic "The Church" thing. But as somebody said upthread, I'm thinking it's a lot of egos. .... Maybe if Jer and the others got actual jobs of some sort they could get their ego satisfaction out of, you know, actually doing something. But I guess this serves the purpose.

I'm one of those evil Catholics and I just love that the Catholic church in Lake Wobegone is Our Lady of Perpetual Responsibility. Cracks me up!

Also - fun fact: the word catholic means universal.  The way I hear the story is that St Paul was the first Pope, chosen by Jesus himself. Every Protestant denomination broke away from the Catholics at one point. They all have Catholic roots. Calling Catholics evil, to me, is akin to Catholics calling Jews evil.  We share a common heritage and tradition. Just because we parted ways along the way doesn't give us the right to disparage the other. Even Jesus said so! Love your neighbor, man!

Edited by MamaMax
  • Love 21
16 hours ago, MamaMax said:

The way I hear the story is that St Paul was the first Pope, chosen by Jesus himself.

I think perhaps you meant Peter.  He's generally considered "the rock" upon which the church was built. 

None of which, of course, the Vuolo current generation would concern themselves with.  Jeremy or Jinger seem to mostly want the emphasis on him.  I would have that Jana would have been the one to run from the spotlight, but apparently Jinger is that way also.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, ariel said:

What the Duggars forget is that Jesus was born Jew & died a Jew.  He wasn't a fundy Christian.  Rumor has it he was quite liberal too.

Being Jewish, we always used to tease "Jesus was one of our boys who made good"

• Love 16
On 4/29/2017 at 10:47 AM, Absolom said:

I think perhaps you meant Peter.  He's generally considered "the rock" upon which the church was built. 

None of which, of course, the Vuolo current generation would concern themselves with.  Jeremy or Jinger seem to mostly want the emphasis on him.  I would have that Jana would have been the one to run from the spotlight, but apparently Jinger is that way also.

yes, indeed thats what I meant LOL

(edited)
44 minutes ago, louannems said:

Looks like Jeremy's going to be in the spotlight after all!

Ben also posted. The accounts are legit. Jeremy apparently scrubbed his old account. I have a screenshot of the topless IG pic with the posts, tagging the same IG account that Jeremy is using now. 

Check out how witty Jeremy is. And WTF kind of costume party were they at?

Edited by Sew Sumi

Ginger looks really cute in that selfie with the hat.....I actually like the eyeliner, surprisingly!  

No matter what the weird costume is, at least they seem to be doing normal couple things and having fun.  As opposed to the Dullards and the Seeweirds, who seemed to get old & used-up before the ink on the marriage certificates were dry!  

• Love 15

It's good to see Jinger out and about with her husband. No pics of double, triple, or quadruple dates with Binessa, Dullards, and wretched uterus/donkey face. 

• Love 10

Oh, I forgot to post the proof that Jeremy scrubbed his old IG and has risen like Jesus to be an entirely different person! Check the tag in the comment. 

13537738_657551491069460_1947899774091555152_n.jpg

• Love 2

If I saw the first pic without knowing who they were, I'd be thinking - what were they smoking? The second pic really shows all the damage Jinger has done to her hair, although it is nice to see them dress up in costumes other than cows for free Chick-fil-A. 

1 hour ago, leighdear said:

Ginger looks really cute in that selfie with the hat.....I actually like the eyeliner, surprisingly!  

No matter what the weird costume is, at least they seem to be doing normal couple things and having fun.  As opposed to the Dullards and the Seeweirds, who seemed to get old & used-up before the ink on the marriage certificates were dry!  

The hat picture's in Australia. That's Taronga Zoo, in Sydney. For some reason they've flipped the photo.

Can someone screencap Jessa's pic for me? That's why I posted Ben's. It also backed up Jessa. All Duggar accounts aside from the Vuolos are now authenticated and Jessa/Ben are following JinJer, so no doubt they're real. I also just noticed that Jeremy re-posted a pic from 6 months ago. 

Absolom, six month rule sounds about right, but they came out a few days early; Jeremy's been up and running for 3 days, and their 6 monthaversary isn't until the 5th. Pregnancy annoucnement that they want to control, perhaps? 

• Love 2

Since *I* noticed Benessa's posts, Jeremy has gone from 40k to 110k. Two hours. 

Jinger started around 100k when I first found her. Now? 200k. The fake Jinger still has 100k I'm going over there to link them to the real deal just for funsies. 

• Love 2