Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

I'm not sure how Jer's church means it, but when I hear "biblical exigetic expository," I think of preaching that that works through a biblical passage systematically and "lets the scripture speak" . . . as opposed to topic-driven preaching, where the preacher might begin with a point he/she wants to make and then select scriptures to support it.

• Love 4

Haha naturally! I was describing a preaching approaach that one might find in many kinds of churches, even those those awful liberal churches where ladies can be pastor and they're all  going to hell but don't realize it. 

• Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, Portia said:

I'm not sure how Jer's church means it, but when I hear "biblical exigetic expository," I think of preaching that that works through a biblical passage systematically and "lets the scripture speak" . . . as opposed to topic-driven preaching, where the preacher might begin with a point he/she wants to make and then select scriptures to support it.

Yeah, I;m sure that's what he means. .... Or at least what the person who used the phrase that he's borrowing means -- whether Jer even really knows what it means remains somewhat in doubt as far as I'm concerned, given his overall pompousness and lack of background in this area. .... The reason that I think it's a ridiculous thing to put on the website, though, is that I'm pretty sure no pastor uses this phrase when they're trying to explain their church to newbies and trying to talk with people about why they might to come there. 

Nobody's going to know what it means, for one thing, and he offers not a single word of explanation. So why's he using it? Because he thinks people are attracted by big words and pompousness? Or is he really so dumb that he doesn't realize that this is jargon that pastors use among themselves as shorthand but not jargon that's current enough among the general population to actually communicate anything at all to somebody who's searching for a church?

And, even more ridiculous to me, it's really about the only thing he says about the church. His little blurb -- and the church website as a whole -- is 100 percent me me me me me -- if you come here you'll get to hear me me me interpret scripture for you. He even cautions people against using the videos of his sermons as their only religious resource -- he says you should go out and find a church to supplement them. As if somebody's actually going to do that -- because they're so enraptured by his expository exigesis, I suppose? But just exactly how many sermons has he preached? What is it about him that would make his sermons the sole draw of a church, at this stage in the game? Is he the new teenage Jesus or something? Seriously. What pastor says stuff like that about his own preaching, and an absolute beginner pastor at that?

Plus, he he says that he was brought into the ministry by Tim Conway, over on his "Hi, it's ME!" page. But I guess he's never listened to how Tim Conway describes church plants. I listened to his video about it, and it's all about being a small group of people, sharing and supporting each other in your faith and so on. His supposed mentor Conway's video message to church plants doesn't say word one about the preacher, let alone talking as if the preacher is all there is to it. So I guess Jer didn't listen very closely to his mentor. Does he know that people are generally looking for something more in a church than just the preacher, and are likely looking for something other than preacher ego? Doesn't really sound like it. 

Long story short -- From the beginning, I got this massive-ego vibe off of Jeremy. And I wish Jingle weren't getting that in a husband, so I hoped that that wasn't really the case. But I think his presentation on the church website pretty much confirms the massive-ego vibe -- with a large side dish of cluelessness -- because I don't imagine too many pastors at his very low level of experience (not to mention education) present themselves in such grandiose terms. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 10

That just describes the very type of church my parents always told me to run away from as fast as I could, churchhoney.  The ones where it's all about the pastor and his preaching usually have some serious faults in both actually teaching the Bible and following Christ.  Also looking at his sermon topics almost all of them appear thematic or topical.  That does give the impression he doesn't know what the words he's using actually mean. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Yeah, I;m sure that's what he means. .... Or at least what the person who used the phrase that he's borrowing means -- whether Jer even really knows what it means remains somewhat in doubt as far as I'm concerned, given his overall pompousness and lack of background in this area. .... The reason that I think it's a ridiculous thing to put on the website, though, is that I'm pretty sure no pastor uses this phrase when they're trying to explain their church to newbies and trying to talk with people about why they might to come there. 

Nobody's going to know what it means, for one thing, and he offers not a single word of explanation. So why's he using it? Because he thinks people are attracted by big words and pompousness? Or is he really so dumb that he doesn't realize that this is jargon that pastors use among themselves as shorthand but not jargon that's current enough among the general population to actually communicate anything at all to somebody who's searching for a church?

And, even more ridiculous to me, it's really about the only thing he says about the church. His little blurb -- and the church website as a whole -- is 100 percent me me me me me -- if you come here you'll get to hear me me me interpret scripture for you. He even cautions people against using the videos of his sermons as their only religious resource -- he says you should go out and find a church to supplement them. As if somebody's actually going to do that -- because they're so enraptured by his expository exigesis, I suppose? But just exactly how many sermons has he preached? What is it about him that would make his sermons the sole draw of a church, at this stage in the game? Is he the new teenage Jesus or something? Seriously. What pastor says stuff like that about his own preaching, and an absolute beginner pastor at that?

Plus, he he says that he was brought into the ministry by Tim Conway, over on his "Hi, it's ME!" page. But I guess he's never listened to how Tim Conway describes church plants. I listened to his video about it, and it's all about being a small group of people, sharing and supporting each other in your faith and so on. His supposed mentor Conway's video message to church plants doesn't say word one about the preacher, let alone talking as if the preacher is all there is to it. So I guess Jer didn't listen very closely to his mentor. Does he know that people are generally looking for something more in a church than just the preacher, and are likely looking for something other than preacher ego? Doesn't really sound like it. 

Long story short -- From the beginning, I got this massive-ego vibe off of Jeremy. And I wish Jingle weren't getting that in a husband, so I hoped that that wasn't really the case. But I think his presentation on the church website pretty much confirms the massive-ego vibe -- with a large side dish of cluelessness -- because I don't imagine too many pastors at his very low level of experience (not to mention education) present themselves in such grandiose terms. 

The hubris and megalomania of these duggar husbands just astounds me.  The "No one understands God but ME!!!!" theme that they all spout is just unbelievable.  I guess the humble and selfless messages of Jesus don't matter when there is coin to be made.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Am I the only one who can't see the name Tim Conway without thinking of the Carol Burnett show? I can just picture his old, slow-as-molasses character in a sketch about a preacher....

Was just going to post the same thing. Well not the funny part about the sketch.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, ariel said:

Are these churches that you are talking about Christian or of another faith?

yes, churches of other belief systems and those that have other gods they worship is what i was referring to.  specifically, not Bible-based christian churches. my church is a non-denominational church that is based on faith in God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit and the Bible....only.

(edited)
18 minutes ago, zoomama said:

what i was referring to.  specifically, not Bible-based christian churches. my church is a non-denominational church that is based on faith in God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit and the Bible....only.

What Christian churches do you consider non bible based?  Are Catholics ok with you?  Are the Christian that believe what you believe the only REAL Christians?

I think the Duggars have their answer to this.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 6
On 4/3/2017 at 5:34 PM, DangerousMinds said:

What church is not centered on god (whichever one)?

Scientology? I don't think they tithe though. I think they sell members oodles of books and charge them for auditing sessions.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, pinkelephant3 said:

So us weekly is reporting that jinger is pregnant...Well into the second.trimester as it's a honeymoon baby...

Where is our "sad but not surprised" emoji?

• Love 9

HA! We all thought that Jeremy wanted to wait for kids a bit and he was a bit more "normal".  No way, guys.  He is hungry for the fame and knocking up a Duggar girl is a good way to get that cover photo! 

I think Jeremy is a bigger fame whore than anyone else so far.  He is just smarter and stealthier.  Jeremy was a business major and Jinger Duggar is his business plan! 

• Love 11

I'll wait for the official announcement.  Internet speculation might be correct, but I'm still hoping that at least one Duggar makes it to their first anniversary unscathed.

• Love 6

The only article I could find about Jinger's "pregnancy" was from In Touch.  They all but said it was internet gossip and linked to a fan roleplay Instagram for Jinger believing it to be real.  So I don't believe a word out of that article.

Jinger may very well be pregnant, but without a bump, a TLC press release, or a People cover it's not official.  Speculation articles are one step up from click bait because they know they'll eventually be right.

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, Janarella said:

I get the same famewhore vibe from Jeremy, which is why I genuinely cannot figure out why they're not on social media...??? 

They probably saw what happened when the other sisters/husbands began to post on social media.  Jill and Jessa have both lost whatever sympathy they had from the general public once they started to open their mouths. Ben and Derrick just come across as idiots.  It's a smarter PR move for them to stay low key. 

• Love 14
14 hours ago, Janarella said:

I get the same famewhore vibe from Jeremy, which is why I genuinely cannot figure out why they're not on social media...??? 

Jeremy is trying to generate interest and curiosity.   He is trying to be elusive, so we all want him!!!!!  I'm sure Jeremy orchestrated Jinger wearing shorts that particular day, just to get media hype.   Jeremy is not a dummy.  We might not like him but he is not a dummy.

Jeremy is a total fame whore and that tiny church in Laredo is a stepping stone for him.  He bagged a Duggar and has a business plan to get a big church and make his name famous.  He has better game than Derick or Ben because he is smarter, more mature, has more life experiences and is better educated.  Jeremy looks at Derick and his loser posts with the snark boards goofing on Derick's dirty look....their "missioncation".  Jeremy is probably taking notes on what Derick did wrong.

I didn't buy that for two seconds when Jeremy was snuggling Jinger on the couch and in his TH, he said "I didn't know the Duggars didn't do that!!!".  Oh, Jeremy, you're probably reading this now!

I'm sure he does love Jinger but her last name is a sweet deal for him and he is gonna work that Duggar angle. 

• Love 8

My headship, who hates the Duggars ( "I couldn't give a shit about these dumb people") just told me he had news in his facebook feed saying that Jing-ger (as in rhyming with jingle) Duggar was pregnant.  I haven't found evidence of this yet, but thought it was hilarious that my husband has this information, as this is the only place I look at for Duggar related information :D  

• Love 9
(edited)
11 hours ago, LittlePeas3 said:

My headship, who hates the Duggars ( "I couldn't give a shit about these dumb people") just told me he had news in his facebook feed saying that Jing-ger (as in rhyming with jingle) Duggar was pregnant.  I haven't found evidence of this yet, but thought it was hilarious that my husband has this information, as this is the only place I look at for Duggar related information :D  

It kind if faux-justifies their inflated opinions of themselves, too. Imagine being one of those dumb bunnies and having a rumor of your pregnancy picked up from idle speculation by strangers flying around the world to more strangers as if it actually meant something. This would definitely make you feel as if you're important. Go to your head. Bigly, most likely.

What a strange world we live in. Not a healthy world for the delusional dumb bunnies either, in my opinion.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4

Still thinking they should have saved Jessa for Jeremy.  They could have been the new Christian power couple.  Maybe even got themselves a preaching show on one of the religious networks.

Jinger could have got with Ben while they were doing all the background scut work for the show.  Maybe run a photography and football for Jesus camp.

• Love 6
Just now, flyingdi said:

Still thinking they should have saved Jessa for Jeremy.  They could have been the new Christian power couple.  Maybe even got themselves a preaching show on one of the religious networks.

Jinger could have got with Ben while they were doing all the background scut work for the show.  Maybe run a photography and football for Jesus camp.

Personality wise I don't think those couplings would work. Jessa is headstrong, a woman with an aptitude for leadership (I hate when women are called bossy where if they were male they would be call bosses, good leaders).  Jeremy also seems like a leader kind of guy, and I think the dynamic of them tussling over the leadership role would exhaust them both. Jessa and Ben work because he's more of an affable guy, more likely to not mind being the head with a very strong neck in Jessa. He was also way younger than Jeremy and not as set in his ways, which helps things too.

Ben and Jinger on a superficial level could work, but I think her personality does need that kind of "alpha" male counterpart to flourish. Between her and Ben it would be a never ending cycle of "B: What do you think honey? J: I don't know honey, what do you think?" Of Ben's kind of cluelessness and Jinger's taught passiveness. Jeremy's assertiveness will bring out Jinger's assertiveness as time passes, whereas with Bin his cues aren't very strong so it would be a kind of constant confusion and unsureness of who her husband is and his expectations. She needs Jeremy's strength to feel strong within herself if that makes sense. Long story short, if Ben and Jinger were married their marriage would be similar to Derrick and Jill's: weak headship and confused and scared wife. 

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, flyingdi said:

Jessa's not meek enough for him...he doesn't like women with spines. Though I agree that on paper, Jessa and Jeremy  make more sense. 

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, ChaChaSlide said:

Personality wise I don't think those couplings would work. Jessa is headstrong, a woman with an aptitude for leadership (I hate when women are called bossy where if they were male they would be call bosses, good leaders).  Jeremy also seems like a leader kind of guy, and I think the dynamic of them tussling over the leadership role would exhaust them both. Jessa and Ben work because he's more of an affable guy, more likely to not mind being the head with a very strong neck in Jessa. He was also way younger than Jeremy and not as set in his ways, which helps things too.

Ben and Jinger on a superficial level could work, but I think her personality does need that kind of "alpha" male counterpart to flourish. Between her and Ben it would be a never ending cycle of "B: What do you think honey? J: I don't know honey, what do you think?" Of Ben's kind of cluelessness and Jinger's taught passiveness. Jeremy's assertiveness will bring out Jinger's assertiveness as time passes, whereas with Bin his cues aren't very strong so it would be a kind of constant confusion and unsureness of who her husband is and his expectations. She needs Jeremy's strength to feel strong within herself if that makes sense. Long story short, if Ben and Jinger were married their marriage would be similar to Derrick and Jill's: weak headship and confused and scared wife. 

Jessa is headstrong and stubborn, even bossy but Jinger is much more independent.  I believe Jinger is only meek up to a point.  I think  Jinger listens to what she wants and goes about her own way otherwise.  I think she's learned she can do what she wants to a point cause as Number Six nobody pays attention to Jinger.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, flyingdi said:

I think she's learned she can do what she wants to a point cause as Number Six nobody pays attention to Jinger.

But skip down to #19, and there's plenty of attention being paid there.

• Love 3
(edited)

I just think Jinger has learned if you don't make waves you can get away with what you want.  She knows the right thing to say to the right person.especially after the whole Free Jinger thing.  And that's not so much meek as it is calculating.

The only thing holding Jinger back is she seems to be a true believer, which I'm not entirely sure Jessa is.

Edited by flyingdi
Wanted to add something
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, flyingdi said:

I just think Jinger has learned if you don't make waves you can get away with what you want.  She knows the right thing to say to the right person.especially after the whole Free Jinger thing.  And that's not so much meek as it is calculating.

The only thing holding Jinger back is she seems to be a true believer, which I'm not entirely sure Jessa is.

I don't see Jinger as calculating--though I'd love to be wrong about that--but she is much more comfortable with new people and surroundings than Jessa is. What holds Jessa back more than anything is that she seems incapable of being assertive and "bossy" to anyone except those in her circle. She shrinks in the face of the unfamiliar, because,  while I do think that she's a true believe, I also think that she's aware of how ridiculous her family and beliefs are to the outside world and is often embarrassed by that. She more than the rest of them always looks properly ashamed when her parents are being stupid for the cameras. 

Jinger, I think, would be fine anywhere, and capable of independence when on her own, but she strikes me as the type who will always bow to whims of the man (or stronger-willed relative) in her life. I know a couple of women at work like that...totally capable people, but as soon as they're in relationships they do and think whatever their SO's tell them to, everything from religion to politics to what foods they like. Jinger's only a true believer because no one has told her not to be. It's not a matter of thinking for her. I think if Jeremy woke up tomorrow and said, "Let's convert to Buddhism!" she'd enthusiastically nod her head. 

• Love 9
(edited)
3 hours ago, flyingdi said:

Jinger and Ben do seem kind of drawn to each other and comfortable. But I think they're all dreaming if any of them think they could really make it as Christian power couples. At least one of the people needs to be an engaging preacher or speaker of some sort. And they ain't got no none such.

Jer's presentation stinks, in content and delivery. And I don't see any evidence that he'll get any better. And I would bet that the general attractiveness of Jessa's grumpiness and forced smiling wouldn't go very far either.

They look as if they could make a go of something like that. And I can see a Jer/Jess couple being given a shot at it by somebody. But I think looks are all they've got. I can't think of anybody who's made it in this realm who doesn't have a message that is what people want to hear -- not just You're all hellbound sinners! You stop masturbating -- forever -- this instant! We and our parents are the greatest people on earth and you're so not! -- plus something that comes across as charisma to a fairly large segment of the population. And I just don't see it with these two.

I really think the appeal of the Duggars is in the h-u-u-u-g-e family, which comes across as a warm and wonderful nostalgic place to be to many people, not in any of the individuals, really. I guess Jessa does come closest to having a fan base that's drawn to her individually (well, Jana kind of does -- but she's so behind the scenes that it hasn't been tested...). But unless she were dragging Duggardom around with her, I'm not sure her attraction would remain very strong. For one thing, she hasn't shown that she can be comfortable with people outside her realm. And while part of that is her upbringing, I'm pretty sure some of it is her nature. And that kind of reticence and stiffness doesn't tend to play to crowds very well.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, flyingdi said:

This. Jinger knows how to keep still and then maneuver. I don't think she has an mean or selfish motives, but she knows how to manage situations without people even noticing what she's doing. Good quality for a pastor's wife.

• Love 7

I don't like to say this because JinJer obviously love/like each other but I swear, Jinger was a good business investment for Jeremy's new plan of Preacher Man. 

Jeremy is not some newbie who popped out of some quiet little cult in some backwards area.  Jeremy made a solid choice with Jinger for a ton of reasons.  

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

This. Jinger knows how to keep still and then maneuver. I don't think she has an mean or selfish motives, but she knows how to manage situations without people even noticing what she's doing. Good quality for a pastor's wife.

I agree I don't really think Jinger is mean or selfish, just that she's learned how to handle things her way without any trouble.  I don't really believe we know the true personality of any of these children.

• Love 5
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I don't like to say this because JinJer obviously love/like each other but I swear, Jinger was a good business investment for Jeremy's new plan of Preacher Man. 

Jeremy is not some newbie who popped out of some quiet little cult in some backwards area.  Jeremy made a solid choice with Jinger for a ton of reasons.  

There is nothing wrong with wanting a life partner that is compatible with your lifestyle AND your professional as well as person goals, choosing someone based on THAT in addition to attraction and affectionate feelings makes a hell of a lot more sense than marrying someone cause you think they are hot (Ben w/Jessa), so IMO you have no reason to feel bad. 

Ive said since the beginning that Jeremy pursued Jinger for a list of reasons, not limited to a chemistry and affection for her. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

There is nothing wrong with wanting a life partner that is compatible with your lifestyle AND your professional as well as person goals, choosing someone based on THAT in addition to attraction and affectionate feelings makes a hell of a lot more sense than marrying someone cause you think they are hot (Ben w/Jessa), so IMO you have no reason to feel bad. 

Truthfully I think that IS what the whole courting thing is supposed to all about, just like modern arranged marriages. However, the Duggars pervert that with their insistence on 'purity', no hand holding, hugs or kisses, chaperones even just to take a walk or sit in the same public restaurant.  What they do prevents any kind of frank discussion about each other's goals or wants and needs in a spouse. 

• Love 8

This is how I see it in my head...

1. Vacation missions trip.

2. Jeremy hears there are Duggars on the trip. 

3. He makes a beeline to the clan. 

4. Sniffs out Jinger and scores the biggest goal of his life. Jinger is the icing on his preaching cake! 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

Truthfully I think that IS what the whole courting thing is supposed to all about, just like modern arranged marriages. However, the Duggars pervert that with their insistence on 'purity', no hand holding, hugs or kisses, chaperones even just to take a walk or sit in the same public restaurant. 

I understand that they all want to remain "pure until marriage", but then what happens after marriage?  Do they become impure?

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Mollie said:

I understand that they all want to remain "pure until marriage", but then what happens after marriage?  Do they become impure?

No. Marriage keeps them pure. It's pre/extra marital sexual activity that makes a person impure. 

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Marigold said:

This is how I see it in my head...

1. Vacation missions trip.

2. Jeremy hears there are Duggars on the trip. 

3. He makes a beeline to the clan. 

4. Sniffs out Jinger and scores the biggest goal of his life. Jinger is the icing on his preaching cake! 

Slight addition to #2: Jeremy hears THROUGH THE SEEWALDS that Duggars will be on a mission trip (that he hadn't heard about prior to talking with Benessa). I think I'd just go ahead and make this #1. 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

No. Marriage keeps them pure. It's pre/extra marital sexual activity that makes a person impure. 

And hand holding, kisses,& real hugs.

• Love 1

Jinger seems head over heels right now, but Jeremy was strategic for her too. He was a ticket out of Duggarville (for a minute at least), freedom to wear pants, and not be pitied or stuck on the shelf.

They're a pretty good match both ways.

• Love 6