Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, quarks said:

I know a number of adjuncts in the same position.

That's not what I'm talking about here at all. 

I'm talking about a college hiring a somewhat known person for what is "technically" a full time teaching/research position - not adjuncting -  but with a contract that specifies that 75 to 85% of said person's time will be spent in "service," which in this particular case means "fundraising" and "raising the school's profile."

Jeremy is a D list reality TV star with a social media following, and one book that can sorta be called an "Amazon bestseller," and another book that I'm sure will be correctly tagged to also become an "Amazon bestseller." Even with just the MA, it might well look financially worthwhile  for a small, obscure college to hire him for $35,000 to $65,000 per year to get their name listed on various conferences/speaking engagements. For Jeremy, the school association will make it easier for him to get to those conferences, and supplement his salary. They can part on decent terms after a couple of years, and Jeremy can head on to the next school, and the next.

This is not nearly as common as profiting off adjuncts, but colleges of all sizes do this sort of thing all the time. 

If they've taken even a cursory peek at his inept social media presence, I think they'll pass. He couldn't even be bothered to bullshit that he was excited about his own book. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 9
18 minutes ago, Zella said:

If they've taken even a cursory peek at his inept social media presence, I think they'll pass. He couldn't even be bothered to bullshit that he was excited about his own book. 

And it’s a stretch to call him even “somewhat known.”

• LOL 5
  • Love 7
19 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

If they want more attention social media-wise, they might as well just hire Jinger instead since she literally has twice as many followers as him. 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 5
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Yeah, this one seems the most plausible to me......I don't think it'd be Jer's first choice -- but I think he'd take it! 

I can imagine taking a teaching job. But, like you, I can't imagine him being any good at it -- too much work in multiple ways......But.....lots of teachers -- and in my experience, especially professors -- aren't very good at it.....So what's one more lazy prof? 

He might make a good soccer coach at the high school level, or even younger kids.  It seems he enjoyed playing.  There are school teams, and there are traveling teams.  He does have a college degree, but I'm not sure what other classes he would need.  He might not need an actual teaching credential.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Zella said:

Well, to be fair, it wasn't either shoes or a hamburger......Or a fountain pen, even. 😁

• LOL 11

Ever since they branded themselves as the " breakout stars" of Counting On, I've wondered if there was talk at TLC or even Up of them getting their own spin-off. Sheltered country bumpkin Jinger gets swept away by worldly, yet Christian, Jeremy to Los Angeles!!! What's a small-town gal to do? As a newly married woman and mother, she'll sure have her hands full! Watch as Jeremy pontificates and struts around while never doing actual homework for his degree!! 

It would be even more phony, staged, and boring as 19KaC, but I'm sure there's enough leghumpers to watch it to make it worthwhile to make. 

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

He's better known than a couple of other people I know who have gotten similar gigs at Rutgers, Western Colorado, and various CUNY colleges. 

All entertainment industry folks (writers, actors, specialized crew) but....that's more or less what Jeremy is. 

3 hours ago, Zella said:

A cursory peek right now at his social media presence shows a number of pictures of him delivering lectures, a picture of him at some sort of study group, Jinger drinking coffee, and looking at some shoes with a kid.  His Twitter has more pictures of him delivering lectures, supporting some Gospel rally thing, and quoting Bible verses. Boring, sure, but also nothing that massively jumps out on a cursory look. More to the point, it shows that he has around 650K Instagram and 40K Twitter followers.

Beyond that, he's had a relatively steady series of speaking gigs. His first book sold - not well, but it sold - in the middle of Covid, with supply chain problems, and a major, major, nationally televised/publicized scandal about his brother-in-law. He'll have a master's degree - not a prestigious one, granted, but an MA, and possibly a PhD if he continues in the program. He seems to be very good at schmoozing with administrators of religious institutions. He knows a few people in Hollywood. 

So. I don't like him either. I find him superficial, arrogant, and obnoxious, and that's before we get to some of his beliefs. And from my perspective, at least, it's incredibly irritating to look at just how many of the above "accomplishments" come from Jinger - and thus from the willingness of her parents to exploit their children on TV - instead of things that Jeremy has actually done. I hate thinking that he could continue to exploit this - or at least could, if not for this brother-in-law problem.

But I also think those "accomplishments," earned or not, put him into a position where he's at least able to pitch to industry executives, and where small Christian colleges might look at him and figure it might be worth paying $35,000 to $50,000 to give him a helpful credential for speaking gigs and get their name out on all of the posters/mailers/etc sent out with these gigs - if not for that problem of the brother-in-law. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I think Jeremy has enough name recognition within the Fundy community to get some like minded younger folks to stay within the fold and maybe even get them to visit a certain church, but I don't see them donating money to a particular school because of him. 

Anyway, its been noted that Mac's empire is getting wobbly due to location and age of congregants. Jeremy seems to be part of their up and coming old boys' club. Why would he go anywhere else, if they're keeping him on?

But I guess we'll see soon enough, because I think Jeremy is due to graduate soon.

• Love 10
13 hours ago, quarks said:

He's better known than a couple of other people I know who have gotten similar gigs at Rutgers, Western Colorado, and various CUNY colleges. 

All entertainment industry folks (writers, actors, specialized crew) but....that's more or less what Jeremy is. 

A cursory peek right now at his social media presence shows a number of pictures of him delivering lectures, a picture of him at some sort of study group, Jinger drinking coffee, and looking at some shoes with a kid.  His Twitter has more pictures of him delivering lectures, supporting some Gospel rally thing, and quoting Bible verses. Boring, sure, but also nothing that massively jumps out on a cursory look. More to the point, it shows that he has around 650K Instagram and 40K Twitter followers.

Beyond that, he's had a relatively steady series of speaking gigs. His first book sold - not well, but it sold - in the middle of Covid, with supply chain problems, and a major, major, nationally televised/publicized scandal about his brother-in-law. He'll have a master's degree - not a prestigious one, granted, but an MA, and possibly a PhD if he continues in the program. He seems to be very good at schmoozing with administrators of religious institutions. He knows a few people in Hollywood. 

So. I don't like him either. I find him superficial, arrogant, and obnoxious, and that's before we get to some of his beliefs. And from my perspective, at least, it's incredibly irritating to look at just how many of the above "accomplishments" come from Jinger - and thus from the willingness of her parents to exploit their children on TV - instead of things that Jeremy has actually done. I hate thinking that he could continue to exploit this - or at least could, if not for this brother-in-law problem.

But I also think those "accomplishments," earned or not, put him into a position where he's at least able to pitch to industry executives, and where small Christian colleges might look at him and figure it might be worth paying $35,000 to $50,000 to give him a helpful credential for speaking gigs and get their name out on all of the posters/mailers/etc sent out with these gigs - if not for that problem of the brother-in-law. 

Dean of Community Outreach. With special outreach to the coffee, beef, and sneaker industries. Because those who can afford pricey food and shoes would surely bring in money to a school!

• LOL 11
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

Jeremy should have taken advantage of being in Laredo and learned Spanish.  He could work in MacArthur's Spanish outreach.

He was too busy flying around the country to ? I can’t even remember why, but he was rarely there.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

He was too busy flying around the country to ? I can’t even remember why, but he was rarely there.

And when he was there, he was too busy writing sermons about how Laredo is overrun by hordes of demonic Catholics.....many of whom are probably among the Spanish speakers. So he would have had to be careful about who he chose as his Spanish instructors. 

Laredo demographics  --Hispanic or Latino, 95.4 percent; White alone, not Hispanic or Latino, 3.6 percent. 

image.thumb.png.7791fdbf9cf1ac43a1e695c320131f22.png

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/laredocitytexas

https://starcasm.net/jeremy-vuolo-says-demonic-catholicism-is-a-pagan-religion-thats-gripping-the-souls-of-the-majority-in-laredo/

Edited by Churchhoney
15 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Pagan religion of Catholicism? Don't think that means what you think it does.

Well then, what does it mean?  I am thinking Jeremy must be in Instagram withdrawal.  His fingers must be itching to show his latest sneakers, burger or coffee.  He is no doubt angry at Josh for all the wrong reasons.

Edited by sheshark
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
19 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

The withdrawal is probably intense.

Poor poor Jeremy. My guess is he’ll be overcome and will have to post a food or golf pic tomorrow. 

Edited by awaken
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 5
15 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

I imagine Jeremy sitting forlornly in a rad coffee shop sipping a $14 latte, writing in his leather journal with his very best fountain pen, making a list of which pics he's going to post, in what order, and with what clever captions, once this pesky trial is over.

I'd like to think he is using this social media downtime to spend extra time with his wife to help get her through this, but that doesn't really seem to be his style.

Are you a writer?

Your posts are so funny! I always laugh. You are a gifted writer!

• Love 12
On 12/6/2021 at 5:31 PM, galaxygirl76 said:

Pagan religion of Catholicism? Don't think that means what you think it does.

OMG!  He obviously doesn’t even know the true definition of “pagan”.  I despise the SOB almost as much as I do JillR.  What an asshole. 😡

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
31 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

OMG!  He obviously doesn’t even know the true definition of “pagan”.  I despise the SOB almost as much as I do JillR.  What an asshole. 😡

I think he feels Catholics are pagans  because they " worship " idols. Never mind trying to find out what's really happening. 

Edited by crazycatlady58
Auto correct.
  • Love 9
9 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I think he feels Catholics are parents because they " worship " idols. Never mind trying to find out what's really happening. 

Parents or pagans 😆??? I'm sure many Catholics ARE parents!  I know it was auto correct probably,  but couldn't resist!

• LOL 3

It’s probably killing him that they’re not in Arkansas being photographed at the fundy trial of the century. I wonder if, since they’re in LA, they’re trying to get the first family member sit down interview after the verdict. There’s probably a cheesy tabloid show that would love to say they have the first interview, especially if it’s one of his victims. 

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I think he feels Catholics are pagans  because they " worship " idols. Never mind trying to find out what's really happening. 

As a Catholic, I can attest to the pagan origins of many of our rituals.  Catholics don't really talk about this, but our church is built upon absorbing local beliefs and traditions and making them Catholic.

As an educator with a background in history, I can also attest to why many Catholic practices happen.  Statutes, stained glass and other artwork grew as a way to teach illiterate people the stories from the Bible.  As the masses have become more literate, they remain partly because they are beautiful and partly because visual learners exist.  Not everyone is equipped to read the Bible and learn everything.  

• Love 22
6 minutes ago, lascuba said:

And I'm an atheist who's not at all emotionally invested in these arguments other than being slightly entertained by the heated debates over fictional minutiae. But goddamn, the lack of any self-awareness annoys the shit out of me.

This. And he's not some brain-still-forming experience-still-lacking young-20-something either. At 34, having lived in two countries, fathered two kids and attended three (at least alleged) institutions of higher learning, it'll be a long shot for him to get much more self-aware or thoughtful or well informed.....Ever, 

Yet what he intends to do with his life is live in a big, sophisticated metropolitan area and still win out over the competition when it comes to being the person others turn to for information, wisdom and advice, spiritual, intellectual, moral or material/commercial. I.e., he may be an even more egregious example of the Dunning-Kruger effect than any actual Duggar. 

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

So where do these 2 cowards stand on Josh? What about on JB and Michelle? 

Their initial statement after the arrest was of the "We hope justice is served" variety. Of course, that could cut both ways. They never outright condemned Smuggar.

As for JinJer's relationships with Boobchelle, I don't think Boob likes Jeremy much, and I think it goes beyond their doctrinal differences. OTOH, Jinger seems closer to Meech than any of the other older girls. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, truebluesmoky said:

Let’s not forget that Jinger is a victim too, and every choice she has made and continues to make in her life is informed by abuse.

I think Jeremy is making all the decisions for her. Where is his anger toward her abuser? Is he still taking JB’s money?

3 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Their statement on the arrest:

495379E5-3679-40B2-90C1-BBB99D746010.jpeg

As I said, cowards. Hedging their bets? 

5 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Still nothing from the breakout stars? I’m surprised not even a comment. Nada. Zilch. Nothing.

Maybe their communications consultants are on vacation. 😁

The thing is, I suppose they "have" to say something, by convention or something......But it's fine with me if they don't. I don't think anybody has to make a public statement about something like this......

I certainly don't consider these two public figures that we expect to --  I don't know --  account for their views so we know how to judge them or lead the way in stating a response or whatever..... And I don't think people's relatives have to say anything, whether they're "public figures" or not......I don't see any reason why I should know how they're responding. And if I were Jinger, I expect my feelings would be pretty tangled....... 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

I think Jeremy is making all the decisions for her. Where is his anger toward her abuser? Is he still taking JB’s money?

As I said, cowards. Hedging their bets? 

Other than Amy, I don't believe any Duggar has expressed anger at Josh. Not one.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Other than Amy, I don't believe any Duggar has expressed anger at Josh. Not one.

On reflection, I’m not surprised. I don’t think they are allowed to be angry, at least the women certainly aren’t. I couldn’t keep sweet if my life depending on it, so I can’t fathom how they don’t eventually explode with rage.

• Love 10
26 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Much stronger condemnation than I expected.

The snarky side of me sees Jeremy trying to out write Derrick and Ben. Not a laughing matter of course - but I immediately went there - I am jaded.

Still, the victims have a right to speak or not speak however they choose. In this case Josh is the guilty one -- and these other Duggars are not at fault (despite some other problematic issues).  So I can't fault any text one way or the other. I also won't fault those who choose to stay silent.

ETA - I did fault Amy mainly because she spoke with such a giant broad brush that I felt like was intended to hurt others - not just Josh,

Edited by Tuxcat
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9