Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Jinger’s response, “Ohhh next level.”. 🤦‍♀️

Here's the thing with shoe fashion, Jingle. Today's "next level" is tomorrow's "old hat." 

Will your headship be able to afford all the next levels that are ahead of you in the worlds of shoes, suits, pocket squares, snacks, burgers, home-gym equipment, desserts, fountain pens, etc.? 

Because I just don't see how he will. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Jinger’s response, “Ohhh next level.”. 🤦‍♀️

A169C2D1-74D9-4A96-829D-07843DB58F91.jpeg

She is well and truly programmed.  I was going to say ‘brainwashed’, but I think programmed sounds more LA-like.

• LOL 5
  • Love 7
16 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Jinger, please, grow a personality already. 

If she did that, there wouldn't be room in her head to stuff every single aspect of Jer's personality so she can have it all handy to parrot at all times.

She's got the only social-media accounts I see where a person constantly says nothing but stuff that a different person would say. She's really taken the headship thing to the limit. Not one single interest or view of her own ever seems to surface. 

It's kinda horrifying that she could -- and would-- do that so completely.  

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Isn't Jeremy a little old to be obsessing over sneakers? When you're mid-30s, it's time to put away the dude-bro shtick.

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 1 Corinthians 13:11 in their favorite KJV.

Someone should be hitting Jer with some appropriate bible verses.

• Love 23

I'm always surprised that Jeremy is so into Nike shoes.  I would think Nike's political views would  give him pause.  Also, I guess collecting sport shoes is a "thing" for a lot of people.  I don't begrudge him a hobby, if he was working  and could support it.  He is just trying so hard to be relevant.  Working for and supporting a worthwhile charity and showing some humility would gain him more respect.

• Love 18

If I knew how to post IG screenshots I would, but along with the above random photo was a short video of Jeremy in church with his phone pointed at his homie Isaiah (?) a couple of rows back, with Isaiah mugging for Jeremy, knowing that he was being filmed.  This is while they were standing in church.  It was like watching two little kids fidget and goof off because the sermon was boring or the song was too long...except that these two scholars are hoping to one day pastor their own megachurch or whatever.  How is it appropriate for two grown men to mess around on their phones during church?  Is it supposed to be somehow funny?  Who is his audience - middle-schoolers?  I remain confounded and befuddled by this weirdo.

• Love 23
2 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

If I knew how to post IG screenshots I would, but along with the above random photo was a short video of Jeremy in church with his phone pointed at his homie Isaiah (?) a couple of rows back, with Isaiah mugging for Jeremy, knowing that he was being filmed.  This is while they were standing in church.  It was like watching two little kids fidget and goof off because the sermon was boring or the song was too long...except that these two scholars are hoping to one day pastor their own megachurch or whatever.  How is it appropriate for two grown men to mess around on their phones during church?  Is it supposed to be somehow funny?  Who is his audience - middle-schoolers?  I remain confounded and befuddled by this weirdo.

MacArthur to Jeremy at their initial “scholarship meeting”:  “Make attending Masters cool. Wear wild shoes, go out to eat daily, golf and sporting events and show off the free housing. Be a “preacher in sneakers” that’s an in thing. Hang with the cool dudes and EVERYONE will apply here.”

• LOL 15
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

On the upside, I guess we heathens learn something valuable from this.

Those two are a graduate (Isaias, class of '20) and an almost graduate of the seminary that John MacArthur (and a fairly large number of other people) consider the most intellectually and theologically rigorous of all seminaries in the country. So since grads and near-grads of that seminary mug with cameras during church services, it must mean that Jill Rodrigues' typical church behavior is on the money, so to speak, and not at all inappropriate, as we've erroneously dubbed it on many occasions. 

1 hour ago, sheshark said:

MacArthur to Jeremy at their initial “scholarship meeting”:  “Make attending Masters cool. Wear wild shoes, go out to eat daily, golf and sporting events and show off the free housing. Be a “preacher in sneakers” that’s an in thing. Hang with the cool dudes and EVERYONE will apply here.”

Okay, you really were there with a microphone, weren't you? 

• Love 10
10 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Well, for reference, he thinks Jinger is spicy, so there's that. 

He knows she is bland as can be, but pretends otherwise on SM.

5 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

6kqup6t6pju71.jpg

Interesting that he follows ladbible. Not very conservative! 🤣

• Love 5
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

Why does this church even allow cameras to be used?

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Why does this church even allow cameras to be used?

Protestant churches were always intended to be relatively austere, so, in general, they never had the problem of tourists taking photographs, which was at the heart of the "no photos" rules in many other churches. The churches would say "it's disrespectful when there's a service in progress" or "It's disrespectful," period, in some cases. But nobody was interested in taking beautiful photos in most of the non-decorated Protestant churches -- nothing to photograph. So the tradition of having to ban cameras in services just never started. Nobody brought a camera into the church in the first place. 

Until we all had cameras in our phones and carried our phones everywhere, photography just had never become an issue for most Protestant churches. Nobody was taking photos in them, whether or not there was a service going on. 

And now that everybody does have a camera with them all the time, how would you stop their use in a sanctuary that holds thousands of people who are used to holding up their phones 18 hours a day? .....when there's been no need to even discuss such a rule in the past because cameras were brought into churches to photograph the beautiful art on the walls or something..... So nobody's ever heard such a rule in most Protestant churches.....

Plus, with smartphones, a camera flash is nearly undetectible, so that removes one of the old issues with church photography -- that a camera flash would distract clergy and worshipers.  

In short, a ban wouldn't accomplish much except to remove a distraction for the phone/camera owners. But if you're trying to get rid of distractions, you'd probably need to confiscate the phones, because photography is only one of their many distraction possibilities. 

Now you COULD teach your seminarians about the importance of serving as a good example to their congregations just in general by laying off the video-ing and photographing and other cellphone use during services. But it seems pretty clear that The Master's Seminary doesn't do that. Or at least that some of their pet students pay no attention to such instruction, if it's offered. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Protestant churches were always intended to be relatively austere, so, in general, they never had the problem of tourists taking photographs, which was at the heart of the "no photos" rules in many other churches. The churches would say "it's disrespectful when there's a service in progress" or "It's disrespectful," period, in some cases.

Until we all had cameras in our phones and carried our phones everywhere, photography just had never become an issue for most Protestant churches. Nobody was taking photos in them, whether or not there was a service going on. 

And now that everybody does have a camera with them all the time, how would you stop their use in a sanctuary that holds thousands of people who are used to holding up their phones 18 hours a day?

Plus, with smartphones, a camera flash is nearly undetectible, so that removes one of the old issues with church photography -- that a camera flash would distract clergy and worshipers.  

In short, a ban wouldn't accomplish much except to remove a distraction for the phone/camera owners. But if you're trying to get rid of distractions, you'd probably need to confiscate the phones, because photography is only one of their many distraction possibilities. 

My mom’s Catholic Church doesn’t seem to have a problem with parishioners using their phones during mass. People seem to instinctively know that it would be inappropriate and disrespectful.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

My mom’s Catholic Church doesn’t seem to have a problem with parishioners using their phones during mass. People seem to instinctively know that it would be inappropriate and disrespectful.

Absolutely. But that's Catholic churches.  

The point I was trying to make is that Protestant churches have a very different history from Catholic churches, mosques, temples....very much so when it comes to cameras -- and that's for a reason -- and also when it comes to the nature of a religious service. And these mega-churches have a very different history in those regards from many of the denominational Protestant churches, too. .... 

For one big relevant difference, it's the art that people wanted to photograph in Catholic churches and some other houses of worship (from the very beginning of photgoraphy. Btu Protestants consider the art itself to be the big spiritual distraction in a chuch. So most Protestant churches were designed not to have that big distraction of art in their sanctuaries. And thus until the past few decades, they didn't have the distraction of cameras either. There was nothing there to photograph.  So they developed no tradition involving no-photography rules. Catholic churches, however, had art all over the place and so a strong tradition of banning photography did develop. 

What traditions and rules people remember from their pasts and what they perceive the milieu of a church to be differs widely among different kinds of churches. Especially when it comes to cultural norms like this, it's just not the case that a church is a church is a church. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

The point I was trying to make is that Protestant churches have a very different history from Catholic churches, mosques, temples....very much so when it comes to cameras -- and that's for a reason -- and also when it comes to the nature of a religious service. And these mega-churches have a very different history in those regards from many of the denominational Protestant churches, too. .... 

I have to say that's some Protestant churches.  Many like Methodist, Episcopalian, and some Presbyterian churches especially older ones are well decorated, many have exceptional stained glass windows, and don't fit the sterile, utilitarian view.  

The mega churches especially non-denominational ones might as well be any generic theater or auditorium.  

• Love 14
7 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I have to say that's some Protestant churches.  Many like Methodist, Episcopalian, and some Presbyterian churches especially older ones are well decorated, many have exceptional stained glass windows, and don't fit the sterile, utilitarian view.  

The mega churches especially non-denominational ones might as well be any generic theater or auditorium.  

Yes, I grew up Baptist in a traditional church with stained glass windows, lively pews, and a steeple. As an adult, I became non-denominational, and my church looks much like Jeremy’s but on a smaller scale.  And I’ve been to Apostolic churches that look the same. Part of that design may be to accommodate mega churches, and part may be due to skyrocketing building costs.  I can’t imagine what it would cost to build a traditional, cathedral style church nowadays. That long, narrow building is also not necessarily the best use of limited land.  

The fact that a thirty something dad and wannabe pastor is filming and taking selfies in the sanctuary during any type of service is just obscene and ridiculous.  Mega churches might look less formal, but it’s still a house of worship and a consecrated place.  This guy is expected to lead a flock? Yeah, okay 🙄

• Love 14
Just now, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Yes, I grew up Baptist in a traditional church with stained glass windows, lively pews, and a steeple. As an adult, I became non-denominational, and my church looks much like Jeremy’s but on a smaller scale.  And I’ve been to Apostolic churches that look the same. Part of that design may be to accommodate mega churches, and part may be due to skyrocketing building costs.  I can’t imagine what it would cost to build a traditional, cathedral style church nowadays. That long, narrow building is also not necessarily the best use of limited land.  

The fact that a thirty something dad and wannabe pastor is filming and taking selfies in the sanctuary during any type of service is just obscene and ridiculous.  Mega churches might look less formal, but it’s still a house of worship and a consecrated place.  This guy is expected to lead a flock? Yeah, okay 🙄

One of the last cathedrals built in the US was Holy Name of Jesus Cathedral in Raleigh at a cost of 46 million back in 2017.  I don't know the breakdown of the cost and how much went into the décor.  I believe part of that 46 million includes the acres of land the diocese had to purchase within Raleigh city limits. Maybe a tad bit expensive for a regular parish, but most churches do not need to be built to accommodate 2000 people.  

The thing with mega churches is that they are not consecrated places.  It's an auditorium not a sanctuary.  People pulling out their phones to snap pictures or take videos goes hand in hand with house bands and  light shows.  One of the ones by me has a pastor who encourages his flock to bring their Starbucks and Bojangles with them to service instead of having coffee and doughnuts after.  The church my sister attends was serving food at their Easter Sunday service.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

One of the last cathedrals built in the US was Holy Name of Jesus Cathedral in Raleigh at a cost of 46 million back in 2017.  I don't know the breakdown of the cost and how much went into the décor.  I believe part of that 46 million includes the acres of land the diocese had to purchase within Raleigh city limits. Maybe a tad bit expensive for a regular parish, but most churches do not need to be built to accommodate 2000 people.  

The thing with mega churches is that they are not consecrated places.  It's an auditorium not a sanctuary.  People pulling out their phones to snap pictures or take videos goes hand in hand with house bands and  light shows.  One of the ones by me has a pastor who encourages his flock to bring their Starbucks and Bojangles with them to service instead of having coffee and doughnuts after.  The church my sister attends was serving food at their Easter Sunday service. 

My church isn’t a mega church by any means, but we have a fairly large congregation. It’s an auditorium style building next to the old church which is now the children’s chapel.  It’s a consecrated sanctuary to me and the members because it is where we congregate to hear the word of God from an ordained minister.  But I’m also of the mindset that church is a verb and a noun. Fancy buildings with ornate carvings are no more hallowed than makeshift store front churches or converted warehouses.  If the property is blessed then it’s blessed.  It’s not like Jesus and his disciples gathered in the fanciest synagogue every sabbath, yet He still got his point across.  

And like most things, and RFP and Jinger are prime examples, the smaller, less fancy “sanctuaries” and churches sometimes provide the most sincere, spiritual experience.  I guess not having all those fancy trappings to distract is a bonus sometimes.  Some of those auditorium style churches looked more traditional inside than others though. I cannot deny that some look like the Staples Center (looking at you Joel Osteen). 

There’s one here with a cafe at the back of the building. To me, that’s a whole other issue, and reflection of church leadership. These pastors, in their quest for mega church status, have gotten ridiculous. The church doesn’t have to look like a church, but it sure needs to act like a church to me. Starbucks and sausage biscuits in church? I’m afraid to rustle my peppermint paper too loud in church. Again, church leadership…and the almighty quest for mega status. 

Personally, I don’t think it much matters if McArthur preached at the Sistine Chapel or sent up a tent revival on the county parade grounds. He and so many others like him would still be shifty, grifty and self-righteous. RFP was insufferable even in that small church in Texas. And he’ll continue to be insufferable because he’s also shifty, grifty and self-righteous.  H’s on that quest for mega church status, complete with private jets, Rolls Royces and a Rolex. 

• Love 21
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

Yes. I agree. I did mention that this whole thing doesn't apply to some denominational Protestant churches, but I guess it got lost in what I was trying to say. But it applies more to more to Catholic churches, generally.  

• Useful 1

I think the most cathedral I’ve ever been in was an Episcopalian church in New Orleans. It was absolutely breathtaking because I grew up in the Black Baptist church which looked a lot different. Thinking back on it, I can see why Jeremy is attracted to the auditorium style churches. He doesn’t have to compete with the ornate decor to be the center of attention and he can have his goofy mug plastered on the giant screens. Win win.

• LOL 5
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

One of the ones by me has a pastor who encourages his flock to bring their Starbucks and Bojangles with them to service instead of having coffee and doughnuts after.  The church my sister attends was serving food at their Easter Sunday service.  

This may sound like a ridiculous question, but what do the congregants do with the wrappers and empty cups? Do the ushers pass a bin or receptacle to dump like the communion cups? Do you just get up and toss it? I’m sitting here seriously trying to work out those logistics. 

This tangent we’ve taken on mega churches and peculiar behaviors is fascinating BTW. 

• Love 3
Just now, Ijustwantsomechips said:

This may sound like a ridiculous question, but what do the congregants do with the wrappers and empty cups? Do the ushers pass a bin or receptacle to dump like the communion cups? Do you just get up and toss it? I’m sitting here seriously trying to work out those logistics. 

This tangent we’ve taken on mega churches and peculiar behaviors is fascinating BTW. 

This particular church used to use the local convention center while they were saving money to build their permanent home.  I know that when they were there, the congregants treated the facility like a sports arena.  I help out with a yearly event that uses the same space, and I saw the convention center employees cleaning up after their Sunday service.  Trash was everywhere even though the facility had plenty of trash cans.  Things may have changed now that they are responsible for the upkeep.  I know the management of the convention center loved this church and was sorry to see them go while the staff who had to clean up after them week in and week out felt differently.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Just curious why Jeremy isn't promoting this little rally he'll be speaking at this weekend? 

https://cafemom.com/entertainment/jeremy-vuolo-jinger-duggar-hide-beliefs/the-new-duggar-family-drama-began-when-redditors-noticed-jeremy-wasnt

Well, he did promote it a bit when he first got on the bill a month or two ago.....Maybe this is just another example of how extremely bad he is at promoting stuff......His publisher, his (former?) CAA agent and others could attest to that, I think. 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Had a little giggle when I checked out the rally page. Ray Comfort is their keynote speaker. He has been off the radar for years.

Yeah, I know. And, no surprise, though the list has expanded since the notice first appeared -- - in September or even August -- old Ray was one of the first listed, along with Jer. It's not like Ray's getting lots of invites these days, I suppose, so he responded quickly. 😁

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 5
6 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

My church isn’t a mega church by any means, but we have a fairly large congregation. It’s an auditorium style building next to the old church which is now the children’s chapel.  It’s a consecrated sanctuary to me and the members because it is where we congregate to hear the word of God from an ordained minister.  But I’m also of the mindset that church is a verb and a noun. Fancy buildings with ornate carvings are no more hallowed than makeshift store front churches or converted warehouses.  If the property is blessed then it’s blessed.  It’s not like Jesus and his disciples gathered in the fanciest synagogue every sabbath, yet He still got his point across.  

And like most things, and RFP and Jinger are prime examples, the smaller, less fancy “sanctuaries” and churches sometimes provide the most sincere, spiritual experience.  I guess not having all those fancy trappings to distract is a bonus sometimes.  Some of those auditorium style churches looked more traditional inside than others though. I cannot deny that some look like the Staples Center (looking at you Joel Osteen). 

There’s one here with a cafe at the back of the building. To me, that’s a whole other issue, and reflection of church leadership. These pastors, in their quest for mega church status, have gotten ridiculous. The church doesn’t have to look like a church, but it sure needs to act like a church to me. Starbucks and sausage biscuits in church? I’m afraid to rustle my peppermint paper too loud in church. Again, church leadership…and the almighty quest for mega status. 

Personally, I don’t think it much matters if McArthur preached at the Sistine Chapel or sent up a tent revival on the county parade grounds. He and so many others like him would still be shifty, grifty and self-righteous. RFP was insufferable even in that small church in Texas. And he’ll continue to be insufferable because he’s also shifty, grifty and self-righteous.  H’s on that quest for mega church status, complete with private jets, Rolls Royces and a Rolex. 

^^This^^ 🙌🏼

• Love 5