Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, sheshark said:

It is the way Jinger pronounced Daddy on a video or podcast.  She is trying to overcome the Arkansas accent.  Unlike Jessa.

That's not an Arkansas way of saying Daddy though? Or are you saying that is her effort to sound less Arkansas and it comes out that way? You're probably right, but I think it just sounds pretentious and stupid as fuck. 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 6
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Too lazy to look. Does anyone know if the Masters Seminary offers a doctorate? Because I doubt even a pet like Jer wouldn't be allowed to teach with just a master's and a couple years experience at a church plant.

In the flaps over accreditation, however, MacArthur has been apparently credibly accused of simply handing out a few doctorates without requiring that the person do anything......Dunno if that's true, of course. But some Master's alums have said that it's been done -- and other Master's alums (and former faculty) have seemed to believe that it was quite possible.

So...he really does seem to love Jer's sucking up. which suggests Jer might be enough in favor to get one...

On the other hand, though, JM prides himself on having faculty that are academic-ish-seeming in some way. And Jer's clearly not. And I think that'd make Jer not actually want a professor job -- I think he might be afraid he'd be unmasked in that kind of position.

I'm  betting he'll get a Grace Church outreach-to-the-young-type job, not a job at the seminary. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

On the other hand, though, JM prides himself on having faculty that are academic-ish-seeming in some way. And Jer's clearly not. And I think that'd make Jer not actually want a professor job -- I think he might be afraid he'd be unmasked in that kind of position.

Jeremy probably doesn't want a professor job, largely because of a key word in that description - "job."

But I continue to believe that his best bet going forward is to earn a doctorate of some sort. Largely because if this "hi, I'm trying to be trendy, I like expensive sneakers, and I eat out a lot" social media is not exactly shrieking "hire me to be the compassionate Christian leader of your church," combined with the low level TV fame, it might be of interest to various small Christian colleges - many of whom need to have doctorates on their faculty to help maintain accreditation. And Jeremy can then leverage the doctorate and "professor" title to help pick up a few speaking gigs here and there, or lecture opportunities on those "biblical cruises" or trips to Israel. He doesn't even have to be a full time professor for that - agreeing to teach one or two courses a year at a small college would be enough. 

Jeremy presumably knows all of this as well as I do - indeed, it wouldn't be at all surprising to learn that this is what he's going for, thus all the highly unconvincing "look, I am a trendy fun person who can easily connect with college students" social media stuff.  But he's facing one big issue: most doctoral programs in the United States are either expensive and/or require students to put in some time/effort into teaching and research.

So I would not be at all surprised to learn that Jeremy is hoping that the Masters Seminary will continue to cover his rent/tuition for the next four years. Sure, he might have to continue to take pictures of himself in front of books and computers and in classrooms, and that is a sacrifice - I don't want to downplay that!  I mean the joy of fountain pens can only compensate so much for having to be in a classroom taking pictures instead of at a restaurant taking pictures. It's going to be harsh.

But at the same time, a part time position at some obscure college somewhere, the doctorate, and the TV fame, and he's set - especially if he and Jinger stick with just a few kids. So he might be willing to make that sacrifice. 

Whether or not the Masters Seminary wants to continue to sponsor Jeremy is another question entirely, but Churchhoney does give a good argument for why they might.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
On 8/13/2021 at 3:21 PM, Zella said:

I think it's because he is a moral coward, and they know they will get flak for it, not because they are actually all that concerned about following guidelines. There were quite a few pictures of them not wearing masks and traveling, including at Mac Daddy's church--they just didn't advertise it themselves. 

But isn’t he useless to JM if he doesn’t promote it?

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Zella said:

The fundies I know who are fixated on coffee also thinks it gives them a personality. 🤷‍♀️

Also - going on “hat journeys.” 😆😆😆

7 hours ago, sheshark said:

It is the way Jinger pronounced Daddy on a video or podcast.  She is trying to overcome the Arkansas accent.  Unlike Jessa.

The ironic thing is that BOTH of them sound idiotic, just in different ways.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

I didn't really understand Jinger's Amoeba Hollywood post until I looked up the store and it's evidently a very, very large music store. Was she in the 1970s music section or something?

Amoeba is great! I miss the one in San Francisco, where I lives for 15 years.

• Love 2

I'm unfamiliar with how following others on IG works. Is it like FB where once you become friends your more than likely to remain FB friends forever, or do folks continually tailor who they follow according to their likes and dislikes at the time?

A year from now, when Jer graduates, the Vuolo breakout stars may be old news. Will their IG numbers drop? When it comes time to get a paying gig will Mac's investment still be worth anything?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm unfamiliar with how following others on IG works. Is it like FB where once you become friends your more than likely to remain FB friends forever, or do folks continually tailor who they follow according to their likes and dislikes at the time?

A year from now, when Jer graduates, the Vuolo breakout stars may be old news. Will their IG numbers drop? When it comes time to get a paying gig will Mac's investment still be worth anything?

Yeah, their tv “fame” will have ended, and there will be more news of Josh than any other Duggar.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

TBH I have no idea why Mac Daddy continues to subsidize him. Just on every objective level, he completely sucks as a promoter/influencer for the seminary. 

• Love 13
2 hours ago, quarks said:

Jeremy probably doesn't want a professor job, largely because of a key word in that description - "job."

But I continue to believe that his best bet going forward is to earn a doctorate of some sort. Largely because if this "hi, I'm trying to be trendy, I like expensive sneakers, and I eat out a lot" social media is not exactly shrieking "hire me to be the compassionate Christian leader of your church," combined with the low level TV fame, it might be of interest to various small Christian colleges - many of whom need to have doctorates on their faculty to help maintain accreditation. And Jeremy can then leverage the doctorate and "professor" title to help pick up a few speaking gigs here and there, or lecture opportunities on those "biblical cruises" or trips to Israel. He doesn't even have to be a full time professor for that - agreeing to teach one or two courses a year at a small college would be enough. 

Honest question here, but is being compassionate an actual thing in their religion? Because I don't see Jeremy, the Duggars and people like them being compassionate about anyone but themselves.

• Love 20
9 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

I didn't really understand Jinger's Amoeba Hollywood post until I looked up the store and it's evidently a very, very large music store. Was she in the 1970s music section or something?

Amoeba Records has been around forever. It's an institution. I guess Jinge hangs out in the "all things classical" section. 🙄

• Useful 1
  • LOL 15
  • Love 1

I've heard of people selling their Tiktok accounts. How in the world does this work? Is it basically selling the rights to use the username? How much do people pay for this privilege? 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Zella said:

I've heard of people selling their Tiktok accounts. How in the world does this work? Is it basically selling the rights to use the username? How much do people pay for this privilege? 

I have no idea how that works or how much a name would cost. 

What is the name of Jinger's account again? The one where they posted laughing at the the guy falling down a flight of stairs? 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

I think they probably believe he's useful to them as long as he exists, is connected just by name only not by anything deep to JM's institutions (they've got him connected to both the church and the seminary), and continues to have a large social media following and post a lot. 

I don't think he has to advertise anything they do or are for them to think he's useful. I think all he has to do is just make people aware of their name. And that's because he and Jinge have so many followers. .....

It's like freeway billboards or any other kind of advertising that just gives the name of something -- and shows it to a lot of people often, without saying anything at all about the company or the product......I think they're just counting on the fact that out of any x number of people, a certain possibly tiny but still real percentage will be intrigued by the name, and they'll check it out. 

Together they've got around a million and half followers -- and I expect they have about half a million of those twice, since I expect Jer's followers are almost all Jingle followers who just added him because he's her husband. And that's a lot of followers, compared to almost anybody else. .... And certainly a lot of followers compared to most Calvinist seminarians or professors or theologians or even preachers. Only a tiny handful can even approach their numbers, especially when it comes to the young people's segment of social media. 

For example, John Piper has a million Twitter followers. But he has fewer than 80,000 insta followers. And that's John Piper!  Hard to imagine that JM will find any young Reformed/Calvinist blood that'll have even a third the followers that Jer and Jingle have together. .... 

So, maybe we can assume that out of 10,000 followers somebody has, maybe 1 person will find out that Jer's connected to JM's Grace church and seminary, and just casually try to find out a little more about those places? I'd think they would assume the number could be about that high .... especially since it's clear that a lot of their sm media followers are conservative-Christian leghumpers. ... 

So since Jer and Jingle have a million and a half followers, that might mean that 150 people would casually check out a MacArthur enterprise because of Jer. .... Meanwhile, the more typical person in his connection may have 100,000 followers -- and would mean that only 10 people would casually check him out. (...and, realistically, how many youngish reformed pastors have anywhere near 100,000 followers, even....?_

I just think that sheer numbers make them a better bet for getting an eyeball here and there than anybody else JM currently knows can offer. .... And it doesn't have anything to do with Jer specifically advertising anything JM-related. Their numbers will bring more casual traffic than anybody else's. ... And if 150 conservative Christians take a look at JM's Grace Church stuff -- a few of them might become fans or even members. It doesn't sound like much, but how many alternatives are there that actually offer anywhere near as much?

JM's got his podcasts and such .... and Jer does advertise those and some other stuff on his media  -- which is closely linked to Jingle's media.....And no other student or even staff member JM is likely to get has any shot at all of even drawing in this minimal amount of browsing traffic. 

And churches are desperate for more eyeballs ... especially young ones.... I think even JM might not be optimistic about getting big crowds of eyeballs any more. I figure he just wants to put as many lines in the water as possible to get whatever young eyeballs he can....

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 2
  • Love 10
17 hours ago, Future Cat Lady said:

Honest question here, but is being compassionate an actual thing in their religion? Because I don't see Jeremy, the Duggars and people like them being compassionate about anyone but themselves.

No, it's not. Theirs is an every-man-for-himself interpretation of Christianity/Calvinism. Works are not just meaningless, they're a delusional distraction from the real point which is making sure you and Jesus are on the right page with each other. They really take that to a limit that's seldom been seen, as far as I can tell. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Where is the Sriracha sauce? 

Guess he didn't want to use up all the best evergreen content in every post. 

I mean, who doesn't want to look at a Sriracha bottle and envy its owner every day or so? 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 11
  • Love 1

Compassion is taught in reformed churches. Maybe not all of them, and people can certainly fail to implement it, but they’re not mutually exclusive. 

A MacBook Pro is expensive upfront, but it can handle a lot of programs at once (I’m usually running two browsers, Word, Notepad, Excel, Acrobat, and Mendeley, at minimum) and should last 5+ years if you take care of it. A good investment for a scholar if you can manage the initial cost. My 2017 is still bopping along. It’s even been to Serbia! 

I don’t post on social media much, but my note-taking/research/course planning setup doesn’t look too different from JerBear’s. It’s not really that freakish to take notes neatly, and if the professor uses a metaphor, you might doodle the image to help you remember the concept. My mom jokes that she didn’t do great in organic chemistry in college, but she used stencils for the bond diagram things (she probably calls them the correct name) and had neat handwriting, so people would pay to photocopy them! 

I’m not a big Jeremy fan; I’ve just been in that world and known guys like him. Notably, I did not marry one. (It became clear when I attended a John Piper conference and met up with several of my friends…’ husbands… that I was not reformed wifey material due to my pesky desire for higher education and a career, not eleven babies named Java Spurgeon Jesus Lily or whatever.) All that to say, I think a lot of the things the Vuolos do are read through a much more sinister lens than they deserve, because of who does them. 

I get why people don’t like him. He has big tool energy, no sense of humor, and I have never been convinced that he truly loves Jinger or thinks of her as an equal adult human. But he has a lot of the same trappings as more decent and less hypocritical people in that same milieu, and a lot of it really is harmless. They all use MacBooks, hoard theology books, care too much about coffee (another disqualifier for me — I hate it!), and generally go along with fads the way young people do in any clique. It’s entirely possible to be kind of a dick but also a Christian with good note-taking hygiene. 

• Useful 9
  • Love 11
On 8/14/2021 at 12:59 AM, Nysha said:

My bet is Jeremy is really, really good at sucking up in person and since JM probably knows less about social media than the average extremely old preacher, Jeremy can cook the numbers in a way that highlights his worth.

On 8/14/2021 at 10:29 AM, Churchhoney said:

And there are many stories about his insistence that all his students and acolytes absolutely believe every detail of what he says. He does, after all, firmly believe (or say he does) that his expository-preacher status means that God speaks directly through him. So if you don't agree with him, then, in his view, you don't agree with God either. 

But I'm sure he's quite okay with hypocrisy -- as long as it gets him eyeballs. In that way, I expect he's like Jer, who clearly doesn't mind it!

I so enjoy parsing out the enigma wrapped in a mystery covered in pocket squares that is Jeremy Vuolo.

Where I always struggle with this bizarre mentor/pet situation is that if JM believes that God speaks through him, and Jeremy isn't always 100% towing the Johnny Mac company line in his social media - which is potentially why JM likes Jeremy in the first place, Jeremy's large amount of followers - then isn't it kind of like Jeremy is being all "follow the leader" when he thinks JM's eyes are on him, but once his back is turned Jeremy is like a teenager whose parents went away for the weekend, and he's back to, say, wearing his mask like a good boy which he SHOULD be doing anyway but like it was mentioned above, he only takes these precautions based on who he's with and who he thinks his audience is.  I mean, if I'm a serious student at Johnny Mac University, and I see the teacher's pet doing one thing but saying another, I might think about trying to usurp the Prize Student by mentioning a thing or two about what said Prize does on his days off from studying (snerk).

But I guess JM is as bad - probably much worse - than Jeremy when it comes to making up the rules as they go along.  I think why this irks me so bad is that I have worked with people exactly like Jeremy....major, MAJOR goof-offs who have the ability to turn on the charm and be the big team player when the boss is watching, while the rest of us sit there befuddled as to how anyone could possibly buy the crap they're selling, let alone the boss.  Jeremy playing at being a student and a pastor and enjoying the incredible amount of free stuff he gets for really just being a huge phony taxes my brain something fierce.

I hope he's gaining some enemies at JMU, and I hope he ends up flipping organic burgers at his favorite trendy LA pub someday soon to help keep the lights on.  I'd like to think his free ride can't last forever but regarding Jeremy - World Class Suckup Extraordinaire - it probably can.

• Love 19
On 8/14/2021 at 12:43 PM, Zella said:

That's not an Arkansas way of saying Daddy though? Or are you saying that is her effort to sound less Arkansas and it comes out that way? You're probably right, but I think it just sounds pretentious and stupid as fuck. 

It's probably an effort to sound more sort of Mid-Atlantic. Most, if not all, American accents tend to pronounce double t's in words as d's (pretty becoming preddy, for example). But for whatever reason, Jinger is overcompensating, and pronouncing the words which actually DO have double d's, like Daddy, as though those d's were t's. But that's not a feature of British or mid-Atlantic accents, so it just sounds particularly jarring and affected.

• Love 7

I'm guessing Jeremy wearing a mask here and there is not a big deal for Mac. If Mac has flown anywhere, he too, has worn a mask. His defiance toward masks was about 'his house', not necessarily about other places where masks are required.

• Love 8
15 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Compassion is taught in reformed churches. Maybe not all of them, and people can certainly fail to implement it, but they’re not mutually exclusive. 

Yep, you're right about that. I didn't mean reformed churches generally. I just meant the tone of the individual churches and cults that seem to appeal to these particular people, i.e., the Duggars and their close connections, such as Jer. 

I went to an Evangelical and Reformed Church as a kid and compassion was all over it. 

When it comes to MacArthur, I don't know whether he believes he preaches compassion or not, But to me he seems to stress something different, with his admonition to parents of adult gay children that they should refuse to even meet them for dinner if said children say they can be gay and also Christian. Etc. etc. 

• Love 1
On 8/14/2021 at 3:54 PM, GeeGolly said:

Following on Instagram works similarly to Facebook. I do go through and trim who I follow (not counting personal friends) based on my mood, personal goals etc. For example if I am not trying to buy a gazillion eyeshadow pallets I may trim my beauty influencer list, or if I I want to devote more time to working out I will follow more fitness people. 

Jinger and Jeremy's instagram followers shouldn't change all that much unless people just get sick of following a celebrity and want to trim to personal friends, or are moving away from "lifestyle content".

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

I so enjoy parsing out the enigma wrapped in a mystery covered in pocket squares that is Jeremy Vuolo.

Where I always struggle with this bizarre mentor/pet situation is that if JM believes that God speaks through him, and Jeremy isn't always 100% towing the Johnny Mac company line in his social media - which is potentially why JM likes Jeremy in the first place, Jeremy's large amount of followers - then isn't it kind of like Jeremy is being all "follow the leader" when he thinks JM's eyes are on him, but once his back is turned Jeremy is like a teenager whose parents went away for the weekend, and he's back to, say, wearing his mask like a good boy which he SHOULD be doing anyway but like it was mentioned above, he only takes these precautions based on who he's with and who he thinks his audience is.  I mean, if I'm a serious student at Johnny Mac University, and I see the teacher's pet doing one thing but saying another, I might think about trying to usurp the Prize Student by mentioning a thing or two about what said Prize does on his days off from studying (snerk).

But I guess JM is as bad - probably much worse - than Jeremy when it comes to making up the rules as they go along.  I think why this irks me so bad is that I have worked with people exactly like Jeremy....major, MAJOR goof-offs who have the ability to turn on the charm and be the big team player when the boss is watching, while the rest of us sit there befuddled as to how anyone could possibly buy the crap they're selling, let alone the boss.  Jeremy playing at being a student and a pastor and enjoying the incredible amount of free stuff he gets for really just being a huge phony taxes my brain something fierce.

I hope he's gaining some enemies at JMU, and I hope he ends up flipping organic burgers at his favorite trendy LA pub someday soon to help keep the lights on.  I'd like to think his free ride can't last forever but regarding Jeremy - World Class Suckup Extraordinaire - it probably can.

Yeah, I think Jer must be extremely good at sucking up....and must have an excellent radar for who has brands of pompousness and hypocrisy and so on that are similar to Jer's and will be susceptible to his brand of sucking up.

I know that he didn't love Laredo because there probably aren't many paparazzi on call there and you can't keep putting "Beverly Hills" stamps on your social media. But he also didn't seem to do the suck-up thing much at all with Tim Conway, who was then pastor of the San Antonio plant church that gave him the Laredo job. And I wonder whether Jer just realized early on that his kind and level of sucking up wouldn't help him much with that guy. 

Seems like the most successful suck-ups I've known aren't just good at it but choosy about whom they devote their suck-up energies to. I suppose that, if sucking up were your chosen way of going through life, you'd develop a sense about where your efforts would pay off big and where they wouldn't. 

I expect Jer will always find some way to succeed via suckups.

Whether he'll succeed to the extent of his dreams is another question, though. I'm not sure that's very likely. My guess is that he'll always be wildly thirsty and thinking he's not getting enough, despite getting more than he deserves given his lack of actual effort and interest. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 10
45 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

Damn.  He looks like he just came off a 3-day booze binge. 

Greasy hair don’t care lol

His big moist lips gross me out 

I know it’s mean: but I’m laughing that Jer ages so quickly and he isn’t looking youthful anymore. He truly is aging in dog ears. His limited looks are fading fast.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

so funny to me they pose at all these places with people and Jing has that one friend, but they always play card games by themselves and take pics. Uno and Phase 10 are very boring games with only 2 people.

• Love 16
46 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

so funny to me they pose at all these places with people and Jing has that one friend, but they always play card games by themselves and take pics. Uno and Phase 10 are very boring games with only 2 people.

Guess Cade and Gabby were too busy 

• LOL 11
1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

Greasy hair don’t care lol

His big moist lips gross me out 

I know it’s mean: but I’m laughing that Jer ages so quickly and he isn’t looking youthful anymore. He truly is aging in dog ears. His limited looks are fading fast.

If he's targeting young people as his social media audience, he'd better hurry up. He's going to start looking like their dads pretty soon. 

• LOL 11
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Whether he'll succeed to the extent of his dreams is another question, though. I'm not sure that's very likely. My guess is that he'll always be wildly thirsty and thinking he's not getting enough, despite getting more than he deserves given his lack of actual effort and interest. 

I was going to comment on how exhausting it must be for Jinger to live with a soul-sucking, look at me aren't I very handsome, needy blowhard like Jeremy, but then I realize that she already had that with her dad and her oldest brother, so she probably doesn't even know that men are not, in fact, all like that.

But man it must get old to have to constantly pat him on the head and croon to him that his receding hairline is really not getting worse, and his new pair of shoes definitely match his new baseball cap, and he could totally still play profesh soccer with the young studs if he really felt like it, etc.  Blech.

Edited by laurakaye
  • LOL 7
  • Love 15
4 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

If he's targeting young people as his social media audience, he'd better hurry up. He's going to start looking like their dads pretty soon. 

Pretty much every picture of Jeremy and Jinger together already looks some over-it girl and her try-hard dad. She's basically a less cool Maeby Funke and he's a less entertaining Tobias. 

image.png.3188322e190aaecccdedd90d794e9f30.png

• LOL 16
29 minutes ago, Zella said:

Pretty much every picture of Jeremy and Jinger together already looks some over-it girl and her try-hard dad. She's basically a less cool Maeby Funke and he's a less entertaining Tobias. 

image.png.3188322e190aaecccdedd90d794e9f30.png

"Do you have anything that says 'Daddy likes leather!'"

"You mean, leather daddy?"

"Oh, is there such a thing?"

- Jer's next visit to West Hollywood

• LOL 15