Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Make sure your daughters get some actual friends instead of just being glued to their sisters their whole lives and proclaiming how godly that is, Jingle. That's not a good way to live, even though you don't know ir. 

She's probably already started implanting the idea in Felicity's head that her baby sister is her "best friend".

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

I wonder at what age those two girls will be expected to wait on their two older brothers.

Please let that not happen to them.

Felicity and Evy Jo will conversely wait on any younger brothers. Far be it for a boy to get his own dinner or wash his own clothes. 🙄

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

She's probably already started implanting the idea in Felicity's head that her baby sister is her "best friend".

This is pretty common among religious and non-religious. Certainly I saw a lot of this from my fundie-lite friends.

• Love 7
On 7/23/2021 at 8:45 AM, Churchhoney said:

On the subject of the JinJer Vuolos attaining some normalcy (or not)  -- Note that this is the Duggar kid who moved all the way to Los Angeles, years ago (after some years in Texas), and is constantly (allegedly) out and about in her new home city all the time.

Yet the sister who used her as her little follower all through childhood and youth is still her damn "Bestie." Not "my fave big sister" or "my almost twin" or whatever. My "Bestie." 

i.e., after all this time, and supposedly a more normal life, what appears to be true about Jingle's present social life clearly is true. She has no friends, let alone a best friend, that she's found on her own, outside the immediate family. (I refuse to count the occasional Duggar-Gothard-circle woman who's turned up in LA and been claimed as a "friend." Seems pretty clear to me that she barely knows these people except from some Camp Bill meetings they both attended with their families a decade and a half ago. She's never been friends with them and isn't now. Nothing is ever heard about them except during the weekend they visit LA and make her part of their tourist stop. And then it's just one random, largely uncaptioned photo outside some coffee shop.)

In fact, we've never even seen her with an acquaintance-level buddy or social group that she doesn't get secondhand from Jer. And even then it seems clear in every photo that the people, including couples, Jer kinda socializes with seem to be connected entirely to him, with Jingle just dangling along as a fifth wheel (or insta photographer and babytender).

When it comes to relationships and a social existence, she's still living  well inside the TTH bubble, Hasn't put a toe outside it. And I think it's damn likely that this will always be the case. 

Make sure your daughters get some actual friends instead of just being glued to their sisters their whole lives and proclaiming how godly that is, Jingle. That's not a good way to live, even though you don't know ir. 

And here I am thinking that she didn't refer to Jeremy as her best friend like some of these other couples seem to do...

But otherwise that's true. Jinger hasn't really appeared to make her own independent friends. I'm not entirely sure it's a Duggar thing though. Jill, Joy, and Jana appear to have non-relatives as friends. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, I don't know that everybody follows it. But Gothard preached again and again that friends were an extremely dangerous thing for children and young people to have, and he encouraged families to put many barriers in the way of their children developing friendships outside the immediate family because friends can influence you away from what your parents want -- and under Gothard, what your parents want is not just the primary thing but the only thing. 

He went farther, too. Making clear that married women (and he didn't want there to be any other kind) also should not have friends. For the same reason -- they might be influenced to disregard something their husbands said by something a woman "friend" had. Thus -- woman friends were dangerous, a sort of satanic device.

Women and young people could attend things like Journey to the Heart and Alert and so on -- because at those events they were constantly taught the big Gothard lesson: Obey your father! Obey your father! ...... But beyond that, he notoriously made sure that there were no ladies' circles or children's or teen's groups in his enterprise. Because he preached over and over that they were terribly dangerous to people because in such friendships and groups nobody would be functioning fully under their umbrella of protection and influence. 

Men, of course, were allowed some friends -- but only within the Gothard group or, at least, within a very conservative church group if you didn't have Gothardites in your community......And even the men are encouraged to spend the vast majority of their time guiding their wives about by the elbow, rather than being with other men...........This is also part of the "work only for your own family business" deal. 

So whether or not there are some friendships going on outside the family, the Duggars' Gothard belief system, which they have always at least pretended to stick to very very strongly, is anti-friend in the extreme. That's a big reason why kids don't go to school or play on baseball teams. 

It's true that that may be playing out a bit differently with some of the girls, like with Jill now,, But I'm skeptical of all the rosy viewer scenarios in which the Duggarlings have a bunch of non-family friends behind our backs.

I think the so-called friendships we see are distinctly odd.  Joy's one friend, for example, is Carlin -- who Ihas lived about 600 miles away from Joy their entire lives. Is that what most of us would see as a true choice for a real friend for a kid? It's not like they lived near each other, became friends through that, and then one moved. They have never lived anywhere near each other, and as kids only saw each other with their entire families in tow or at Gothard event -- where friendships are nixed. 

And then there's Jana (although I personally haven't seen her with friends other than Laura, except at Gothard events where there are suddenly a group of Gothardites around her, although I may just be missing something.) And I still hold the now unpopular belief that, regardless of what may actually be between them, in the family  Laura was officially considered to be a kind of accountability partner for Jana, who's an unmarried woman with some responsibilities for getting stuff done in teh family, and thus somebody who might go off the rails if another strict Gothardite weren't always to watch her, once her near-age sisters had married and moved away. 

In a way, my vision is certainly warped by having myself grown up in a family where I was permitted no friendships. But on the other hand, that experience shows me something most of the world seems to be pretty unaware of  --- that there are people who absolutely deny their kids any right to or opportunities for friendships outside the immediate family and insist that that's the way it should be. And I also know how that can breed a very difficult set of habits around friend making that are extremely hard to get rid of years later, even when you know you should and want to. So I think my experience cuts both ways in my perceptions of the Duggars and friendship. 

Remember the women’s  consciousness raising groups of the 70s?

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Remember the women’s  consciousness raising groups of the 70s?

Yeah, and I'm sure that's one of the things Gothard was responding to. .... He started establishing his "philosophy" or whatever the hell it is in response to what he was horrified by in the mid-60s through the 70s -- and that was teenagers increasingly going to rock concerts and smoking dope etc. and "women's lib" in all its forms. 

White Christian men like him were not thrilled when those things moved out of the fringes and into the mainstream. What was happening to their hitherto pretty darned secure power???!!! 

So Gothard came up with a set of "religious beliefs" that could help. "No friends for you!" a very very Christian guy could then say to, first, his kids and, second, his wife. Jesus forbids you to do that! I guess you could say that's not the soup Nazi, it's the group Nazi. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

And here I am thinking that she didn't refer to Jeremy as her best friend like some of these other couples seem to do...

But otherwise that's true. Jinger hasn't really appeared to make her own independent friends. I'm not entirely sure it's a Duggar thing though. Jill, Joy, and Jana appear to have non-relatives as friends. 

Jill had all Duggars in her wedding party, although Jessa, Jinger, and Joy had non-Duggars in the wedding. 

• Love 3

Not sure if this friend discussion should be moved elsewhere but Michelle claims to have the long time friend she worked out with her and the woman did some wedding planning for a couple of Duggarlings weddings.  I remember one show that talked about Joy and Sierra's friendship since she was older than Joy.  Joy was helping Sierra with some of her catering or whatever it was. I do recall several times they played up Jessa and Jinger as best friends. Otherwise don't recall the hearing much about friends except as it applied to siblings. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
52 minutes ago, auntieminem said:

Not sure if this friend discussion should be moved elsewhere but Michelle claims to have the long time friend she worked out with her and the woman did some wedding planning for a couple of Duggarlings weddings.  I remember one show that talked about Joy and Sierra's friendship since she was older than Joy.  Joy was helping Sierra with some of her catering or whatever it was. I do recall several times they played up Jessa and Jinger as best friends. Otherwise don't recall the hearing much about friends except as it applied to siblings. 

Michelle's friend was Cindy. They went back to high school, if not even earlier. She took over from Sierra and did Jinger and Joy's weddings. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

Jill had all Duggars in her wedding party, although Jessa, Jinger, and Joy had non-Duggars in the wedding. 

I felt like Jinger's non-Duggar bridesmaids were the most random. Well, there was Jennifer Hartono and Jeremy's sister, but there were then one or two other bridesmaids who I could not figure out the connection. At least many of Jessa's bridesmaids were Ben's sisters, Jennifer Hartono as well, and that one Anna Hackel (?) person. Joy had Austin's sister, Carlin, Kendra, and I think a Query girl?

I think if Derick had sisters, or if Dan had already been married to Deena when Jill and Derick got married, then Jill would have included them in the party.

• Love 5
(edited)
14 hours ago, auntieminem said:

Sierra's been posed as Jessa's great friend and then as Joy's great friend. But Joy was just working with her. And while Sierra and Jessa seemed to hang out some for a while, a year or so ago they had one of their photos-of-our-lunch-with-sweet-friends things but Sierra had posted in connection with the event that prior to that she and Jessa hadn't spoken in about a year....

So.....not a whole lot of friendship going on, seems to me. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 3
  • Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

I felt like Jinger's non-Duggar bridesmaids were the most random. Well, there was Jennifer Hartono and Jeremy's sister, but there were then one or two other bridesmaids who I could not figure out the connection. 

Kenzie Peters, and Rebekah Kelly were bridesmaids, they were  listed as friends of the bride.

Edited by ginger90
  • Useful 4
  • LOL 2

Jeremy is getting good at stretching out his posts and making it look like they're on a perpetual vacation. Felicity has had on that same dress in all his posts for the last week and Jing and Jer wore the same outfits at the ballgame they went to a week ago.  So it seems the last 7 days or so of IG stories and posts reflect one day.

• Useful 14
  • Love 8
On 7/23/2021 at 7:33 AM, ginger90 said:

9ED02A89-C108-455B-AE76-5270B7211F6D.jpeg

I do wonder how posts like these make the other older Duggar daughters feel. Of course sisters can be best friends and sisters can be close, but with multiple stair-step sisters, to single one out and publicly declare her as your “bestie” just seems...I don’t know...kind of mean? 

• Love 11
16 minutes ago, charmed1 said:

I do wonder how posts like these make the other older Duggar daughters feel. Of course sisters can be best friends and sisters can be close, but with multiple stair-step sisters, to single one out and publicly declare her as your “bestie” just seems...I don’t know...kind of mean? 

I don't think any of them are true besties, but Michelle started this narrative a while back, and Jessa and Jinger seem to be keeping it going.

If you look at the Bates girls, there's a lot of different dynamics going on. The one consistent there is, it appears Michaela and Erin are noone's bestie - the two oldest girls, like Jana and Jill. Noone seems to be besties with Tori either. The real friendships with the Bates girls seem to be between Katey, Josie, Alyssa, Carlin and SIL Whitney.

• Useful 5
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, charmed1 said:

I don't think any of them are truly close or good friends...or ever have been. They were raised to be "accountability partners" only -- i.e., snitches. That and j'slaves, in the case of the girls.

And honesty and openness are utterly denied any place in that household. So good relationships were unlikely to develop among the kids, seems to me. They had no freedom. And no role models for friendship 

So since Jessa had Jingle with her in some sort of alliance -- maybe Jingle picking up the slack for things Jessa needed done or satisfying Jessa's itch to have a follower or something like that? -- they probably do qualify as "best friends" as far as that family has such a thing. And Jana, Jill and Joy likely had no illusions ever about being members of the Jessa/Jinge twinship. So I doubt they care about it now. 

I'm remembering the couple of (?) meetings between Jinge and Jana over the past few years and their pretending that they were friendly. And didn't it come across as completely awkward and done entirely for cameras? 

Despite living in a kind of hive situation, this family isn't close, period. And I think it was designed that way. They perform closeness, but that's because that's required according to their cult/faith. God is love, after all. But that's a long way from actually feeling it or even wanting it, I expect.

Gothard strongly implies this procedure: Divide your kids and conquer. Let them unite and you the parent may be screwed. Seriously. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 2
  • Love 12