Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

Is Jer's seminary closed due to the virus? And has he noticed yet?

They’re switching to online for at least the next two weeks.

Probably not. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, JoanArc said:

Just think of all the extra time he’ll have to go out the community and help the sick! 

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha... OMG that is the funniest thing I have read in a long time!!!!!

• LOL 21

but seriously the nike hat, the nike shirt, after the post of them all getting the nike shoes.

multiple pic of felicity in the nike shoes - they are aiming high to be nike influencers.

but not as blantant as Jer roloff with carhartt

Edited by crazy8s
  • Love 9
49 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

What message are they trying to send?

23319F01-C9A3-4966-AAD5-372BE439F6EB.jpeg

it is a puzzle that plays the baby shark song. i refused to buy it for the grandkids.

but without the sound video it makes no sense to post

• Useful 5
  • Love 5

The original story probably had sound. It's not up any longer, so I can't judge. 

I guess Jinger is saying that Baby Shark makes Lissy dance (can't sit still?). If Jinger is trying to surpress her, as she would have been growing up, then boo!

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Jeremy is perfect to sell Nike. Just Douche It.

It'd have to be that, because they'd have a hard time embodying "just do it." What the heck do they do? .... I don't think being photographed drinking coffee really qualifies. 

• LOL 11
  • Love 1

I saw the story  with sound yesterday.  Felicity was dancing to “Baby Shark”, and it certainly did not look like Jinger was trying to stop her.  I can’t fault her for that.  
My 18 month old granddaughter loves that stupid song.  It’s annoying as hell, but she is so cute dancing and doing the hand gestures and squealing when they say “run away” that I can live with it.  It will pass like every other fad before it.

• Love 17
5 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Well, I'm glad that Jinger is letting Lissy express herself. Certainly a departure from poor Jackson "jumping for joy" and being stopped ON CAMERA by Boob.

Jinger still couldn’t bring herself to say the word “dance” but still an improvement.

• LOL 4
  • Love 8
27 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Well, I'm glad that Jinger is letting Lissy express herself. Certainly a departure from poor Jackson "jumping for joy" and being stopped ON CAMERA by Boob.

Boob was showing off his righteousness. 

And enjoying a little power trip at the same time -- bossing a small kid around. Big man! 

He's the original "just douche it." 

I don't think Jingle's much of a show off. Which is good, I suppose, because with Jer in the house, there probably isn't room for another. (takes something the size of the TTH to hold both Boob and Meeechelle...)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 13
10 hours ago, SMama said:

I thought the TLC crew told Jana about Jackson and she said he was jumping for Jesus, then stopped him. I don’t watch, just recall reading here. 

Yeah, I think you're right. I don't watch either, but now that you mention it, that's what I remember too. 

I don't take back a word I said about Boob, though. 😁 (He was uber-controlling a little kid's life by remote control....Possibly even more of a rush....That's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6
45 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Yeah, I think you're right. I don't watch either, but not that you mention it, that's what I remember too. 

I don't take back a word I said about Boob, though. 😁 (He was uber-controlling a little kid's life by remote control....Possibly even more of a rush....That's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

I wouldn’t begrudge anyone reminding us that Boob is  a control freak. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 10
On 3/11/2020 at 1:14 PM, Spencer Hastings said:

Yes but identifying as a Christian wife wouldn’t necessarily make anyone assume that their views are as abhorrent as they are. They’re on a totally different level. 

Question for the masses that I’ve been thinking about for awhile: IF Jinger were to get a real job, do you think she would be able to maintain it without people calling in and exposing her views—sort of like with these partnerships?

No, she would be fired pretty quickly no matter where she was hired as someone would complain to the employer just as people are doing now to the influence products.  She's pretty much unemployable and really only has the option of going to business for herself (if she actually had a talent) and selling her product to her other fundies.  Which is what Erin did with her piano CDs.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, LynneH said:

No, she would be fired pretty quickly no matter where she was hired as someone would complain to the employer just as people are doing now to the influence products.  She's pretty much unemployable and really only has the option of going to business for herself (if she actually had a talent) and selling her product to her other fundies.  Which is what Erin did with her piano CDs.

Unless she was to publicly clarify that her beliefs have changed. Which will never happen because I don’t believe they have.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

Unless she was to publicly clarify that her beliefs have changed. Which will never happen because I don’t believe they have.

That's a bingo. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I

1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I would hire her in my store. I do not care what her belliefs are not to hire her for her beliefs is wrong. However I would make it very clear she could not talk about her beliefs to the customer. That would get her fired.

This is my approach, too.  I've worked with people with all kinds of beliefs. I have beliefs, too! As long as we don't push our beliefs on clients, I've always found diversity of belief can be a very good thing in a group.....

It's just up to individuals to decide whether they can leave the actual beliefs aside when it comes to clients......I don't think we have any real evidence for whether Jinge could/would do that or not. I know she's said she proselytizes on airplanes.....But I don't think that proves anything about what she'd do at a job.....It's perfectly possible that she could see by herself -- or easily be helped to see -- that you don't do that with customers.....

Of course her beliefs and her husband's beliefs mean she probably won't ever get a job......Unless the pocket square money really runs out.

I cherish a suspicion that she'd kind of like to try having a job. But that's entirely my fantasy. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 18
20 minutes ago, Zella said:

To be clear: I don't think people should be hired and fired from regular jobs for their beliefs, provided they are not peddling them to clients/customers. If Jinger or Jeremy got a job working at a store or a restaurant--I snorted at the very idea but bear with me--and they behaved themselves and worked, I'd have no problem with it. I would fucking welcome it compared to what they do now. 

But I don't feel the slightest bit sorry for them losing income over influencer gigs for beliefs they won't renounce. That's their own fault--and the fault of the business they partner with--for not being upfront and not doing due diligence in establishing a partnership. They're entitled to think or believe whatever they want, and people are entitled to boycott the shit out of the products they peddle, and businesses are entitled to drop them like a hot potato over it. 

totally agree 

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, Zella said:

To be clear: I don't think people should be hired and fired from regular jobs for their beliefs, provided they are not peddling them to clients/customers. If Jinger or Jeremy got a job working at a store or a restaurant--I snorted at the very idea but bear with me--and they behaved themselves and worked, I'd have no problem with it. I would fucking welcome it compared to what they do now. 

But I don't feel the slightest bit sorry for them losing income over influencer gigs for beliefs they won't renounce. That's their own fault--and the fault of the business they partner with--for not being upfront and not doing due diligence in establishing a partnership. They're entitled to think or believe whatever they want, and people are entitled to boycott the shit out of the products they peddle, and businesses are entitled to drop them like a hot potato over it. 

I rarely feel sorry for influencers losing gigs, beliefs aside. Some day, people will think for themselves and not need every piece of clothing or makeup that someone else recommends. 

• Love 14
Just now, realityfan26 said:

I rarely feel sorry for influencers losing gigs, beliefs aside. Some day, people will think for themselves and not need every piece of clothing or makeup that someone else recommends. 

Agreed--it is no different from any other endorsement and, in my opinion, is not at all comparable to a real job. 

• Love 13

I don't think Jeremy or Jinger would be inappropriately Fundy at work, but I also don't think either of them will ever have a normal job working for a secular company. But they don't want a normal job where their beliefs don't matter. Right now they want to be influencers, the face of the brand, and are shilling for every product tossed their way.  If they were to get hired by a normal company to be their spokespeople, it would fail for the same reasons their Instagram influencing fails, their hateful beliefs piss people off and they let the companies know about it. I could see Jeremy working at some right-wing fundy think-tank and Jessa teaching music at Felicity's private Christian school, but I don't think they'd make it outside their fundy bubble.

• Love 14

I think Jeremy would like to build a stylish Fundy crowd. And I think he'll keep trying, hoping a gig will stick. He's hooked up with some religious gigs in the past, so he doesn't shy away from those either.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I think Jeremy would like to build a stylish Fundy crowd. And I think he'll keep trying, hoping a gig will stick. He's hooked up with some religious gigs in the past, so he doesn't shy away from those either.

I actually thought the religious book thing he was doing before he went to LA had the most promise as far as a workable persona. There's a hipster, polished Calvinist wannabe preacher crowd I was exposed to who would have eaten that shit up. He wouldn't have had to have delved into potentially controversial territory, depending on the book--which would have disappointed more diehard folks--but it still could work with the whole "I'm in seminary, but I'm a fashionable intellectual--see, I wear nifty pocket squares" image. Kind of a quirky professor but not a professor vibe. 

I remember the occasional eye-rolling fashion moment from Jeremy before California, but I don't really remember him being quite so fixated on pretending to be a gourmand as he is now. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 5

As I've said before, one of the things that baffles me about Jeremy is the crowd he ostensibly is a part of--Calvinists. I went to college with a bunch of whacked out Calvinist pastor wannabes, and I thought they were insufferable. But a lot of them were quite well-read in their own way and were quite studious about theology. They'd debate the most arcane shit imaginable and try to one-up each other quoting Calvin. Trust me when I say you do not want to be trapped on a school trip with some of these assholes. 

But I have no doubt they'd actually read all the stuff they claimed to, and that they really did value one's ability to debate and grapple with these things (at least with each other), even if they did so in the most annoying way possible. Some of them were sort of trendy in a hipstery way. I can easily see a lot of those dudes ending up in seminary--many of them did. I just cannot fathom any of them trying to make a living as an influencer, peddling doughnuts. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 6
  • Love 12
6 hours ago, Zella said:

As I've said before, one of the things that baffles me about Jeremy is the crowd he ostensibly is a part of--Calvinists. I went to college with a bunch of whacked out Calvinist pastor wannabes, and I thought they were insufferable. But a lot of them were quite well-read in their own way and were quite studious about theology. They'd debate the most arcane shit imaginable and try to one-up each other quoting Calvin. Trust me when I say you do not want to be trapped on a school trip with some of these assholes. 

But I have no doubt they'd actually read all the stuff they claimed to, and that they really did value one's ability to debate and grapple with these things (at least with each other), even if they did so in the most annoying way possible. Some of them were sort of trendy in a hipstery way. I can easily see a lot of those dudes ending up in seminary--many of them did. I just cannot fathom any of them trying to make a living as an influencer, peddling doughnuts. 

Yep, this is exactly what baffles me, too. 

About the only thing I'm sure of is that Jer is not an intellectual in any way, shape, or form...Seems clear that he's not just intellectually lazy but, it seems, so fundamentally dim that he doesn't even realize that being intellectual requires working at, you know, intellectual stuff..... Those sermons -- yikes........(not to mention his super-lame attempts at wit....yikes again....) Beyond that, though, I can't figure out what's in his head.

I guess since he's following in dad's footsteps he kind of aspires to be one of those Calvinist intellectuals, since he's seen it be a pathway to some level of importance and influence for Chuck? (and because it makes him the family golden boy?) .... But while he's kind of following that path, the shiny object of the trendy young influencer also looks to be a potential path to riches, importance and influence.....So he aspires to be that too....So I guess maybe he's just so dim-witted that he doesn't realize you really can't be an influential Calvinist intellectual and an uber-popular shiller of hamburgers at the same time? 

I guess it also seems clear that, whatever he aspires to, he doesn't aspire to it for the satisfaction of being it and doing it, but because he believes it'll make others admire him and give him money....

.I suppose that could be the main reason he seems so unfocused. He's all about the rewards and nothing about the activity that gets you the rewards. (...There was much less evidence on this point, but I got the impression that this might be true of his soccer career, too, actually....He did some interviews when he first went to Finland that were supposedly about soccer. But he just kept turning the conversation to how great it was going to be when he was being universally admired as both an important athlete and a highly influential Christian....They struck me as very odd sports interviews because he didn't seem interested in talking about the actual sport at all.....LIke it was just an incidental means to his real goal -- having lots of people admire him and follow him....I don't think that's how you succeed at sport any more than it's how you succeed as a Calvinist intellectual....)

• Love 15
1 minute ago, Westiepeach said:

Well, thankfully Jingle is "an avid home cook." *eye roll*

and she bought those few items saturday when she posed at the store with her turtleneck as a mask. "double eye roll"

• LOL 9
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Stylish Christians are definitely a thing, but I’m not sure there are really many stylish fundamentalists.  Maybe the Doug Phillips crowd is the closest they come? 

• Love 7