Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

I'm in the live and let live category. It's not a requirement that teachers, firefighters, actors, etc share their political beliefs. I'd let a Fundy firefighter save my home, just the same as I would save theirs if I were a firefighter.

A friend of mine was a teacher at a Catholic school for years. She was well liked by the students and faculty. The school fired her when she married her female partner. (BTW, she still practices Catholicism and had her children baptized by a progressive Priest in a neighboring town)

I do my part to stand up for folks to have rights and freedoms, by voting, by working in an inner city clinic, by donating money. 

Even assholes need to make money to live and after seeing what happened to my friend, who is far from being an asshole, I shy away from wanting to be a part of doing that to anyone else.

J & J are Z-list celebrity nobodys. I'm sure many of their SM followers don't actually follow them, don't actually like them and don't actually buy anything they sell.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 23

I'm stick in the middle, I guess. I'm live and let live all the way (a proud liberal who supports any and all rights and people) and I hate their beliefs and that they try to push them on others. I understand why people get their influencer efforts shut down at every turn, but part of it still does make me uncomfortable. I feel like it doesn't teach them anything except to reinforce their beliefs that the evil world is out to get "good" Christians like them.

I'm rambling. I don't know, I think I want Jeremy and Jinger to be more than they really are. 

• Love 22

I think if people want to point out to the company an influencer's values so be it. It is up to the company to decide if they want to partner with someone that does not share the company's values or not. Ultimately I would hope companies would do better research in who they send their PR stuff to, but if it is pointed out to them that an influencer's values do not reflect what the company represents I am fine if they decide to end their partnership with the influencer. Sigh. I already typed the word influencer more times than I would like.

• LOL 1
  • Love 21
2 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

I think if people want to point out to the company an influencer's values so be it. It is up to the company to decide if they want to partner with someone that does not share the company's values or not. Ultimately I would hope companies would do better research in who they send their PR stuff to, but if it is pointed out to them that an influencer's values do not reflect what the company represents I am fine if they decide to end their partnership with the influencer. Sigh. I already typed the word influencer more times than I would like.

I agree. And I don’t doubt that there are companies whose values are aligned with the Duggars and Vuolos.  Jingle and Jeremy can shill for some of those. I don’t see anyone trying to ban them from social media. 

• Love 19

Given Jer's fervent sermonizing against trans people, gay marriage and acceptance of gay people as having equal rights -- and his hot embrace of a mentor who's adamant that women must never be allowed to exercise power over men because God hates it when they do -- I'm amazed every time I see one of the Duggar-Vuolo couple apparently trying to help a company that strongly disagrees with all of that make more money. 

I think Jingle just doesn't know what she's doing and can't really be said to "think" about any of this stuff. Like all the Duggars, she's been trained to have the brain of a parrot, not a responsible intellect, and she's jumped onboard the headship influencer train.

But Jer's just a really really annoying little hypocrite....who likes to lord his uber-godly morality over other people in one segment of his life while in other enterprises he completely betrays his supposed moral principles for the purpose of getting easy money and making him and his retinue popular and well-known internet faces. And I can't figure out whether he's a completely knowing hypocrite or mainly just a greedy idiot. 

ETA: And I'll harp again on my usual -- If he does go on in two or three years to a congregation or other religious organization that wants someone from MacArthur's seminary, they will not be able to continue as spokespeople for businesses that support the LGBQT community or promote women as business leaders or the like. So why even start? If they succeed with one of those businesses, they're just going to have to drop it soon...and  even though a lot of people don't agree with me on this, I still think it'll be a barrier to some of the MacArthur-related jobs he could get.  And if he doesn't plan to get a job of that kind, what's he doing in MacArthur's seminary in the first place(except as a means of getting to Los Angeles...?)? I just find it all baffling and evidence that Jer's really got no sensible plan for supporting himself in the absence of the show at all. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 24

Jeremy’s views are his views. Has Jinger ever expressed any controversial views on anything? Jinger has moved to Los Angeles, loosened up, is being exposed to diverse people whether she knows it or not. TLC and her parents made money off her for years, and she was very cruelly exploited by InTouch, why can’t she cash in on her fame? Why is she defined by who her father and husband are?

Edited by kokapetl
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Zella said:

I don't care if people share my political beliefs--have friends across the political spectrum. What I do care about is people weaponizing those beliefs and then having the hypocrisy to not own them. I think people have every right to be a hateful asshole--just as other people have every right to call them out for it and boycott them for it and businesses have the right to terminate agreements with them over it.

It's a two-way street, and I don't have much patience for anyone (regardless of beliefs) who wants all the benefits of having a platform but can't handle the heat that comes with it. Don't want people boycotting you because of your politics? Keep your thoughts to yourself. Don't want people contacting the companies you partner with to point out that you are a hateful asshole? Don't try to obfuscate your beliefs and don't partner with companies that don't share your values. 

I do blame the companies for not doing better research, but I don't see Jinger and Jeremy as innocent victims here. If they really wanted to, they could disown the hateful ideology they and their families have spouted off. But they won't because they buy in. They just don't want anyone else to know when it affects their bottom line. I have zero sympathy for that. 

I agree 100% with your thoughtful post. I think there ought to be a special place in hell for people that hijack religion to justify their prejudices and hate. 

• Love 11
19 minutes ago, kokapetl said:

TLC and her parents made money off her for years, and she was very cruelly exploited by InTouch, why can’t she cash in on her fame? Why is she defined by who her father and husband are?

What her parents did is ancient history that the general public keeps bringing up, not Jinger.  So her father's profit from her is moot at this point.

So how can she now be defined by her husband, when Jeremy is constantly being accused here of riding the Duggar coattails and using Jinger?

It can't always be both ways.  

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, leighdear said:

What her parents did is ancient history that the general public keeps bringing up, not Jinger.  So her father's profit from her is moot at this point.

So how can she now be defined by her husband, when Jeremy is constantly being accused here of riding the Duggar coattails and using Jinger?

It can't always be both ways.  

I don’t define Jinger by her father. I think Jeremy loves Jinger for Jinger, not for her fame, and I think he’s using TLC and MacArthur org to get up a wrung on the ladder, so his family have nicer lives. TLC and MacArthur seem shady enough for me to be ok with that. I think living in LA will lead to Jeremy unclenching his religious anus, and easing up. I think it’s important that Jinger succeed in Los Angeles, the real world should not be a scary place.

Attitudes change over time

FT_19.12.17_DecadeChanges_same-sex-marri

Edited by kokapetl
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

And apparently she also isn't willing to stand up and say to Jer, "Hey, looks like these liberal outfits don't want us to be the faces of their companies. Why don't we work with our agent to find companies who agree with our principles" -- or "your" principles, if in fact she privately disagrees with Jer about these things -- "so we can get some good gigs and keep them?"

He needs someone to say that. But I have a feeling he married a "meek" woman so he'd never have to hear anything like it. 

They both need a come-to-Jesus talk with someone who is blunt and honest. I have no idea who is handling publicity for them, but they're an idiot too if they're pitching these companies to Jinger and Jeremy and signing off on any of these inept ads. 

I did some marketing work for a Christian company, and even their uptight fundie marketing director would be having a coronary over how inept Jinger and Jeremy have been through this whole process. It's not just their beliefs that are an issue. They also just suck at this. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 20
2 hours ago, Zella said:

... Don't want people boycotting you because of your politics? Keep your thoughts to yourself. Don't want people contacting the companies you partner with to point out that you are a hateful asshole? Don't try to obfuscate your beliefs and don't partner with companies that don't share your values... 

Which category do J & J fall in?

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

And apparently she also isn't willing to stand up and say to Jer, "Hey, looks like these liberal outfits don't want us to be the faces of their companies. Why don't we work with our agent to find companies who agree with our principles" -- or "your" principles, if in fact she privately disagrees with Jer about these things -- "so we can get some good gigs and keep them?"

He needs someone to say that. But I have a feeling he married a "meek" woman so he'd never have to hear anything like it. 

Based on her background where women are expected to follow everything their headship says without question and the fact that her education is woefully inadequate, I don't see Jinger as equipped to do any of this.

We talk and hope and expect her (and the other girls) to break free of her entire background and existence without giving her the time to do it, imo. They've been raised and indoctrinated as fundie for the majority of their lives, how can we expect them to just shed all of that in a few years? I imagine it will take many more years and mistakes and steps forward and back and hopefully hours and hours of therapy.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, kokapetl said:

Jeremy’s views are his views. Has Jinger ever expressed any controversial views on anything? Jinger has moved to Los Angeles, loosened up, is being exposed to diverse people whether she knows it or not. TLC and her parents made money off her for years, and she was very cruelly exploited by InTouch, why can’t she cash in on her fame? Why is she defined by who her father and husband are?

I’ll buy that if Jinger publicly denounces those beliefs. Which will never happen because she also espouses them.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 14
2 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Based on her background where women are expected to follow everything their headship says without question and the fact that her education is woefully inadequate, I don't see Jinger as equipped to do any of this.

We talk and hope and expect her (and the other girls) to break free of her entire background and existence without giving her the time to do it, imo. They've been raised and indoctrinated as fundie for the majority of their lives, how can we expect them to just shed all of that in a few years? I imagine it will take many more years and mistakes and steps forward and back and hopefully hours and hours of therapy.

I agree she is not capable, but I also don't really think she is inclined to do so either. 

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

I will be at my table for one, but I do not think Jeremy would have looked Jinger's way had it not been for the bit of fame she (and her family) have. Jeremy is so thirsty for fame. I am sure he cares for her, but he loves that fame more. 

Jeremy is so thirsty that his picture needs to be under the Urban Dictionary definition for thirsty. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 5

Isn't Jeremy being on TV as a Duggar and getting a degree at The Master's Seminary, publicly declaring his beliefs?

We all know Tom Cruise is a Scientologist because he has publicly discussed it here and there. But he doesn't bring it up often.

I just don't get the thought the Vuolos hide their beliefs.

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Yeah, I agree. That was kind of my point, actually! I just didn't spell it out correctly.

As I've said here many times, it took me decades to break free of my own background, even though I proactively walked out of it on my own. And in some large ways I'm still captive to it....I know it's not easy at all. 

So I definitely don't expect that Jinger will do this now.... However, I do think there's hope for her eventually if a question like the one I mentioned ever at least crosses her mind a little.....These shocks of losing the gigs are the kind of thing that can wake you up a bit and make you start wondering about things....And what I'd like her to start wondering about is whether she might be able to help out the thinking process in their couple....raise some issues and suggest some ways that they tackle the issues together. Figure out how to do things a better way....

I worry, however, that being enthralled with Jeremy -- who I see as a big dumb-ass -- will seriously hinder that kind of process for Jinger. I count myself very lucky that, having left one situation where others were in total control, I didn't immediately sign up for another....

• Love 17
4 minutes ago, Zella said:

I find it suspicious that a budding preacher who is in seminary posts so little about his sermons or his beliefs. I think he doesn't because he knows those beliefs are offensive to many, so he instead tries to razzle-dazzle us with his "style."

I went to school with a bunch of annoying Calvinists. And the difference between their social media and what Jeremy posts is like night and day. Come to think of it, I cannot think of any minister/pastor/preacher I know who posts so little about their beliefs, even the ones who are not hateful fundies. 

Yet 5 of his 8 pinned stories are religious on IG.

5 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Yet 5 of his 8 pinned stories are religious on IG.

I don't see his stories. Are they just generically religious or do they actually discuss the nitty gritty of his beliefs? If he's just talking generically about God versus actually discussing theology or his beliefs, I again don't consider that comparable with the content I see from most pastors. I see a lot of pastors discussing controversial issues and not being shy about stating their beliefs (that's both liberal and conservative pastors). Hell, as much as I despise MacArthur, nobody could accuse him of not being crystal clear about what he thinks. I've never seen Jeremy doing that, even when his content is vaguely religious in nature. 

Also is this content he creates or just content from others he is lazily passing on?

Also, regardless of his beliefs, I find it really gross that a pastor and his wife would be doing ads to begin with. That just strikes me as incredibly unethical. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 14
12 minutes ago, Zella said:

I find it suspicious that a budding preacher who is in seminary posts so little about his sermons or his beliefs. I think he doesn't because he knows those beliefs are offensive to many, so he instead tries to razzle-dazzle us with his "style." Indeed, as I have pointed out on here before, the types of things Jeremy posts about, in my experience, would get him called out by most congregations for his perceived worldiness. 

I went to school with a bunch of annoying Calvinists who were on the path to ministry. And the difference between their social media and what Jeremy posts is like night and day. Come to think of it, I cannot think of any minister/pastor/preacher I know who posts so little about their beliefs, even the ones who are not hateful fundies. 

My understanding of Southern Baptist is that the pastors have huge freedom in their beliefs and what their church is about. Maybe Jeremy is doing what he has to do to get the piece of paper, but has non MacArthur thoughts about the church he will start. I assume he is starting a church. 

1 minute ago, Zella said:

I don't see his stories. Are they just generically religious or do they actually discuss the nitty gritty of his beliefs? If he's just talking generically about God versus actually discussing theology or his beliefs, I again don't consider that comparable with the content I see from most pastors. 

Also is this content he creates or just content from others he is lazily passing on?

Also, regardless of his beliefs, I find it really gross that a pastor and his wife would be doing ads to begin with. That just strikes me as incredibly unethical. 

Maybe I'm not using the correct SM terminology. There are categories at the top of the page with pictures in a circle. One of his categories is Felicity. Some of the others include sermons and such.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, kokapetl said:

My understanding of Southern Baptist is that the pastors have huge freedom in their beliefs and what their church is about. Maybe Jeremy is doing what he has to do to get the piece of paper, but has non MacArthur thoughts about the church he will start. I assume he is starting a church. 

MacArthur is not a Southern Baptist. And in my experience, people go to the seminaries that align with their beliefs. Why attend such a toxic, notoriously fundie seminary if you don't agree with it when there are so many more liberal seminaries you could go to? That does not compute for me. Why sign MacArthur's petition if he doesn't agree with it? If that's true, Jeremy's even dumber and ore weaselly than I thought, and that's a low bar. 

2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Maybe I'm not using the correct SM terminology. There are categories at the top of the page with pictures in a circle. One of his categories is Felicity. Some of the others include sermons and such.

Yeah that may be, but that doesn't seem to be what he is posting day after day. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 10
Just now, Zella said:

MacArthur is not a Southern Baptist. And in my experience, people go to the seminaries that align with their beliefs. Why attend such a toxic, notoriously fundie seminary if you don't agree with it when there are so many more liberal seminaries you could go to? That does not compute for me. 

Cuz it’s in LA and his kiss ass approach worked at this particular seminary?

• Love 2

2 minutes ago, kokapetl said:

Cuz it’s in LA and his kiss ass approach worked at this particular seminary?

There are over 20 seminaries in southern California. He didn't have to go to this one, and I am doubtful one could say MacArthur's approach is working with the school on accreditation probation. And again even if Jeremy is sucking up to him without agreeing with him, that makes him even more of a shit stain in my book. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 14
1 minute ago, Zella said:

MacArthur is not a Southern Baptist. And in my experience, people go to the seminaries that align with their beliefs. Why attend such a toxic, notoriously fundie seminary if you don't agree with it when there are so many more liberal seminaries you could go to? That does not compute for me. 

Yeah that may be, but this isn't what he is posting day after day. 

My point is, all any product seller has to do is go to Jeremy's IG page to see what he's about. I'm sure they look to see the amount of followers and in one or two clicks, his beliefs are pretty obvious.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

My point is, all any product seller has to do is go to Jeremy's IG page to see what he's about. I'm sure they look to see the amount of followers and in one or two clicks, his beliefs are pretty obvious.

Jeremy being religious is not the problem, though. He is not being fired for believing in God or for being a pastor or for having an interest in religious things. He is being fired for his offensive views on the LGBTQ community and women. That's what people are writing to companies to complain about and that is what they are reacting to.

Is he posting stuff slamming the LGBTQ community and women being in leadership positions in those religious posts on Instagram? I highly doubt it. So, no, I don't think just a quick peek at his social media reveals anything at all about what he really thinks, as outlined in the petition he signed. He doesn't even state his affiliation with The Master's Seminary on his description of himself. 

I agree the companies need to do more due diligence, but their responses clearly indicate that they had no clue what Jeremy actually believes not that they didn't know he was a Christian. And that's because he is not talking about that aspect of his beliefs on social media and his beliefs in those realms are quite reactionary to the mainstream of Christian thought. They need to be better at Google-Fu, but I also think he is intentionally avoiding talking about because he knows it's a bad look. It's not because he doesn't think it. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 23
1 hour ago, kokapetl said:

Since when is he starting his own church?

• Love 5

I think church-building is entirely too much work for RPP. In Laredo, it seemed like he couldn't even be bothered to be there on half the Sundays. I'd say it's more likely he has his eye on swooping into some urbane, upscale congregation that is already established and that he envisions as a pie job. What he wants and what he gets may be two very different things, though. . . .

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 2
  • Love 18
2 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I will be at my table for one, but I do not think Jeremy would have looked Jinger's way had it not been for the bit of fame she (and her family) have. Jeremy is so thirsty for fame. I am sure he cares for her, but he loves that fame more

I agree with you 

Jeremy is a thirsty one

• Love 14
25 minutes ago, floridamom said:

In that Vuolo valentine photo, who was there with them to take that picture? Does their publicist live with them or something? I think this was a planned photo.

Of course it was. 

It does occur to me that maybe Jinger lost that cosmetics gig in large (or all) part because that video was just that crappy. 

I’m trying to remember...in all their attempts at the influencer gig, were any of them even halfway decent? 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Zella said:

I don't see his stories. Are they just generically religious or do they actually discuss the nitty gritty of his beliefs? If he's just talking generically about God versus actually discussing theology or his beliefs, I again don't consider that comparable with the content I see from most pastors. I see a lot of pastors discussing controversial issues and not being shy about stating their beliefs (that's both liberal and conservative pastors). Hell, as much as I despise MacArthur, nobody could accuse him of not being crystal clear about what he thinks. I've never seen Jeremy doing that, even when his content is vaguely religious in nature. 

You bring up a good point about Jeremy.   Presumably he is studying in the hopes of getting a job as a pastor when he finishes.  Hiring churches (at least the types Jeremy will want to work for) will look at their prospective pastors' social media presence.   They will want to see someone who publicly espouses their beliefs.  They will want someone who has clear beliefs, and not a sanitized version of himself.  He won't be able to appeal to both companies he wants to pimp himself out for and a church he wants to employ him.  

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Of course it was. 

It does occur to me that maybe Jinger lost that cosmetics gig in large (or all) part because that video was just that crappy. 

I’m trying to remember...in all their attempts at the influencer gig, were any of them even halfway decent? 

I have not seen one that has been in any way decent. She just doesn’t have it...

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

You bring up a good point about Jeremy.   Presumably he is studying in the hopes of getting a job as a pastor when he finishes.  Hiring churches (at least the types Jeremy will want to work for) will look at their prospective pastors' social media presence.   They will want to see someone who publicly espouses their beliefs.  They will want someone who has clear beliefs, and not a sanitized version of himself.  He won't be able to appeal to both companies he wants to pimp himself out for and a church he wants to employ him.  

Yes, he has his cake and wants to eat it. No can do, Jer.

• Love 7

My apologies to everyone here. My post was taken down because apparently it was taken as I was criticizing  other posters and being political? Anyway,  my sincere apologies to those I offended. I'm out.