Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Jeremy wanted a young pretty girl that was a virgin- I think he met Jinger and liked her for herself (and vice versa) but many people go about choosing a spouse in that way, they entertain people that fit their requirements (gender, earning potential, religion, interests etc) and see who they are attracted to/compatible with based on that pool of people. I don’t think that was a mistake on his part. 

I don’t think JB was “concerned” for Jinger, nothing Jeremy has done has made me think he would abuse or mistreat her, I just think JB is a control freak and he cannot control Jeremy. 

I totally agree.  Jim Bob and Jeremy had a pissing contest and JB lost, he was never the least bit  concerned for Jinger.

• Love 23
13 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Jeremy wanted a young pretty girl that was a virgin- I think he met Jinger and liked her for herself (and vice versa) but many people go about choosing a spouse in that way, they entertain people that fit their requirements (gender, earning potential, religion, interests etc) and see who they are attracted to/compatible with based on that pool of people. I don’t think that was a mistake on his part. 

I don’t think JB was “concerned” for Jinger, nothing Jeremy has done has made me think he would abuse or mistreat her, I just think JB is a control freak and he cannot control Jeremy. 

Yes, I have to agree. Jeremy wasn't willing to work around the compound for JB and live in a giveaway home. 

• Love 11
15 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

They had some sort of partnership with Fonuts, where they created a "Jingerbread" donut after Jinger.  They pulled out after they received many bad comments.  She was also to appear at an event at a Rebecca Minkoff store which also featured fonuts and Toys for Tots, but after the fonuts debacle she pulled out due to "personal issues".

Thank you!! 

1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

Yes, I have to agree. Jeremy wasn't willing to work around the compound for JB and live in a giveaway home. 

A giveaway home is right up RFP's alley.  Working for JB is not.

Aren't JinJer living rent-free in a church-owned house?  

13 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Jeremy the toolman Vuolo! 

Hell, he could fill a Craftsman jumbo tool box!

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

A giveaway home is right up RFP's alley.  Working for JB is not.

Aren't JinJer living rent-free in a church-owned house?  

Hell, he could fill a Craftsman jumbo tool box!

Yep, they are definitely living in a home belonging to one of the higher ups in the seminary/church.  Rumor has it that the home was rent-free to them which, based on previous scandals involving the seminary, is likely true.  The Masters' Seminary has gotten in trouble before for playing favorites and giving some students free housing and/or other perks because they were useful in some way.  We know the Vuolo's living situation is the same as was described for other 'pets' and we also noticed he doesn't seem to spend much time attending class or studying which was also said to be the case for those who were favored by the hierarchy there.

• Useful 3
  • Love 12
14 minutes ago, lascuba said:

I don't think he was concerned about abuse, but about his feelings relative to Jinger's. For all of Ben's and Derick's many, MANY faults, while they were courting, they were clearly as inexperienced as Jessa and Jill, and Derick was as dorkily head over heels for Jill as she was for him, and Ben more into Jessa than she was into him. Mileage varies greatly in this, but, to me, Jinger's whole demeanor screamed "easy mark" to Jeremy's conman.  Someone Jeremy's age and experience level falling for Jinger? Eh, sure, I guess. But there's a real power differential there that would give a lot of people pause.

I just don’t think JB is that invested in his daughters emotional satisfaction. I don’t think he would want them physically abused or hungry, and he wants them with a guy who’s company they enjoy (that fits the criteria of their social milieu) but other than that it was ALL about JB’s ego. He doesn’t live in a world where women’s emotional needs and satisfaction are important as a man’s. In their culture Jeremy did the right thing, sowed some wild oats, got saved, and married a slightly younger woman with no experience. It’s not as if Jeremy was 45 with 6 kids trying to Mac on Jinger. 

• Love 8

To the extent JB thought about it at all, past the basics of male and Christian, he may have seen in RFP the big old famewhore that he is and assumed that thirst could be used to help further Duggarworld and the teevee money. Besides, there’s nothing like a big white wedding for ratings.

What I doubt JB realized is that RFP’s hunger for fame would lead him away from the family instead of toward it.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I don't feel like back tracking.  Has there been mention of Jeremee studying or taking finals?  

Not that I've seen. 

The last mention of studying I remember was in the first few weeks of class, when he apparently had just received his Greek textbook and was sitting with Felicity, looking at the book cover. 

I suppose it's possible that his trip to speak at the college in Florida was some sort of special "homework" he got to do when everybody else was assigned to crack the books and write a research paper. 

But even if it was, those make only two class/studying-related things I remember since the earliest days of the semester. 

I think it's clear he's just been offered the degree, no test questions asked, in exchange for raising their profile via his fame. 

Although I'm not sure how that works either, since he hasn't posted much about MacArthur's church or its inhabitants either in the past month or so, aside from that photo of him smiling to the rich kid in MacArthur's coffee shop. And over the semester he's posted far less about the seminary itself. Besides the two things above, I remember a selfie sucking up to one of the professors and a couple in a classroom -- of his laptop and books on a table -- during the first few days of school.  And that's it. 

Maybe the recent one where he's trying to look like a mid-century Parisian intellectual or something, sitting on a bench, is intended to be study-related?

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
17 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

To the extent JB thought about it at all, past the basics of male and Christian, he may have seen in RFP the big old famewhore that he is and assumed that thirst could be used to help further Duggarworld and the teevee money. Besides, there’s nothing like a big white wedding for ratings.

What I doubt JB realized is that RFP’s hunger for fame would lead him away from the family instead of toward it.

I think JB was torn in that as a famewhore himself, he saw ratings potential with Jeremy + Jinger, but I think he also, as an experienced control freak, recognized he couldn't control Jeremy and he felt threatened by that. 

Still, I think JB also did some calculations and thought landing Jinger with someone she was attracted to who largely shares their beliefs but was not IBLP was better than her not finding someone, especially since public attention focused on Jinger as the one to break-free. I am sure there was immense pressure within the family to prevent that happening with anyone but especially with her.  So, he was never going to say no to Jeremy, but he was going to be a dick to him as a means of demonstrating pecking order. Because even though Jinger's life is now more ostensibly worldly--and I am sure that pisses her parents off--I have no doubt that she and Jeremy still harbor most of the same ugly fundamental beliefs. 

It was very interesting to me that on the AMA Reddit thread that was recently linked in Give Me That Old-Time Religion that the OP--who fled from IBLP as a teen to avoid an arranged courtship/marriage--admitted that if she had found her potential future husband hot, she might have stayed.

I think that is perhaps a bigger factor in getting buy-ins from the children than we think. They know they are expected to marry, and the girls have talked vaguely before (if I am not mistaken) about some truly creepy potential suitors. I can't even fathom how creepy someone would have to be for the Duggars to find them creepy. So, yeah, the first guy who comes along and doesn't look like his face is a Picasso original and doesn't have obvious BTK vibes and shares their basic beliefs is probably going to be a shoo-in, even if JB is not a fan.

Edited by Zella
  • Love 14
6 minutes ago, Zella said:

It was very interesting to me that on the AMA Reddit thread that was recently linked in Give Me That Old-Time Religion that the OP--who fled from IBLP as a teen to avoid an arranged courtship/marriage--admitted that if she had found her potential future husband hot, she might have stayed.

I have a friend that grew up fundie- she thinks one of the things that saved her was being a lesbian. When the idea of having to marry a man and birth children you don’t want literally makes you VOMIT you’re more likely to question why you should stay in that culture. Getting a young husband you’re attracted to makes you more likely to stay in the fold. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
49 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I just don’t think JB is that invested in his daughters emotional satisfaction. I don’t think he would want them physically abused or hungry, and he wants them with a guy who’s company they enjoy (that fits the criteria of their social milieu) but other than that it was ALL about JB’s ego. He doesn’t live in a world where women’s emotional needs and satisfaction are important as a man’s. In their culture Jeremy did the right thing, sowed some wild oats, got saved, and married a slightly younger woman with no experience. It’s not as if Jeremy was 45 with 6 kids trying to Mac on Jinger. 

Not to give JB too much credit, but I think he does care enough to not want his daughter with someone who looks to be more into fame than her. I absolutely believe that his ego played the major role because he knew he couldn't manipulate Jeremy like the others, but even as scripted as the show is, it was blatantly obvious that Jeremy was super eager to be on TV and that Jinger was orders of magnitude more attracted to him then he was to her.

• Love 8
53 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Not to give JB too much credit, but I think he does care enough to not want his daughter with someone who looks to be more into fame than her. I absolutely believe that his ego played the major role because he knew he couldn't manipulate Jeremy like the others, but even as scripted as the show is, it was blatantly obvious that Jeremy was super eager to be on TV and that Jinger was orders of magnitude more attracted to him then he was to her.

I think JB does make a genuine effort to pair his daughters up with people he thinks they are compatible with. On paper Jill and Derick would have been a good match with their shared professed interest in missionary work, though that obviously was a dumpster fire in reality. Likewise, I think there was a realization that Jessa needed someone more easy-going to mesh with her stronger-willed demeanor, though I suspect that creates some tension between her and Ben. Joy and Austin seem to have shared interests, though I think they did have some issues their first year. I think Jinger was always going to get someone the Duggars deemed more "exotic" simply because I don't think she was ever going to be happy with a Derick, a Ben, or an Austin, and I think JB was aware of it, even if he didn't like it.

I think a normal father would have been more concerned about Jeremy's fame-whoring and the power imbalance inherent in their age/experience gap, but I really don't think JB cared. If I were Jinger's parent, I would have not been happy at all about the age and experience gap between Jinger and Jeremy, but I also wouldn't have sheltered my kid to the debilitating degree that Jinger's parents did.  I think JB's issue with Jeremy was more that he recognized that Jeremy, unlike the other sons-in-law so far, had real world experience and was not going to be as deferential and accepting of JB's authority as someone younger and less experienced. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 11
4 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Was the Duggalo merger before or after Joshgate and the Fertility Follies was semi sorta cancelled?

The Josh molestation debacle happened the summer of 2015--I remember well because that is how I detoxed from grad school LOL--and according to Wikipedia, Jeremy started courting Jinger December 2015, and they married the following year. I am not sure when Jeremy actually met Jinger, though. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I just wonder if the power dynamics didn’t change after the JB show was cancelled and it morphed into “Counting On”...and JB would have been the last to recognize it. Jeremy entering the picture just about that time is...interesting.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Oldernowiser said:

I just wonder if the power dynamics didn’t change after the JB show was cancelled and it morphed into “Counting On”...and JB would have been the last to recognize it. Jeremy entering the picture just about that time is...interesting.

Jim Bob may very well have realized he didn't have as much leverage as he did before the scandal. Maybe that's why he was just reduced to being pissy with Jeremy as a form of ineffectual posturing. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Zella said:

The Josh molestation debacle happened the summer of 2015--I remember well because that is how I detoxed from grad school LOL--and according to Wikipedia, Jeremy started courting Jinger December 2015, and they married the following year. I am not sure when Jeremy actually met Jinger, though. 

They started "getting to know" in Dec. 2015 (I think they met at Jessa's baby shower a month or two prior). They didn't start courting until May or June 2016, engaged a couple months later, then married off in November. 

• Useful 3
2 hours ago, Zella said:

Jim Bob may very well have realized he didn't have as much leverage as he did before the scandal. Maybe that's why he was just reduced to being pissy with Jeremy as a form of ineffectual posturing. 

Agreed. 

• Love 9

Jinger clearly fell fast for RFP.  I can't say this for certain, of course, but I believe there was a genuine "danger" of her marrying him with or without the support and approval of JB.  My take on the matter is that JB decided that rather than lose complete control, he would go along with the marriage, but put RFP on the hot seat and make him uncomfortable at every opportunity.

He failed to foresee that those opportunities would be few and far between.  RFP is doing everything in his power to become rich and famous without JB.  Whether he's successful in that remains to be seen, but spending his life answering to a domineering father-in-law has never been a part of RFP's plan.  Can't stand the guy, but I do like how he's probably infuriating JB.

• Love 23
33 minutes ago, MonicaM said:

RFP is doing everything in his power to become rich and famous without JB.  Whether he's successful in that remains to be seen, but spending his life answering to a domineering father-in-law has never been a part of RFP's plan.  Can't stand the guy, but I do like how he's probably infuriating JB.

Except that I believe to my core that if JB’s fortunes suddenly took off and he ended up with some kind of famous fundie television church or the equivalent he’d have RFP’s lip prints all over his ass. RFP is all about fame and doesn’t seem to have any moral dilemmas about going after at.

• Love 22
35 minutes ago, Zella said:

Agreed 100%! I know some folks on the boards have referred to Jeremy as an alpha male compared to some of the other in-laws being beta males. I don't agree with that interpretation. I think Jeremy is more assertive with JB and dislikes JB because he thinks he is better than his father-in-law, but he is a spineless, weaselly, brown-nosing ass-kisser. As much as JB undoubtedly hates Jeremy, I think it kills RFP that without JB's daughter, he's just a washed-up athlete and a mediocre preacher nobody would give a shit about. He thinks he is better than JB, but he tied himself to JB for eternity. And now that he wants to be a big deal, he is finding that Duggar taint is hard to remove. 

Agree 100 percent with you, @Zella , and with @Oldernowiser

So my guess for Jer's future -- washed-up athlete, mediocre preacher, grifter with some reputation for successful grift but only in limited ways, tainted with Duggardom forever, and in some job commensurate with the resume I just listed -- being some semi-famous but not terribly impressive somebody's eternal brown-nosing errand boy, perhaps. I think he's probably already hit peak Jeremy. 

I only hope Jim Bob has already hit peak Jim Bob as well. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 16
Just now, Churchhoney said:

Agree 100 percent with you, @Zella and with @Oldernowiser

So my guess for Jer's future -- washed-up athlete, mediocre preacher, grifter with some reputation for successful grift but only in limited ways, tainted with Duggardom forever, and in some job commensurate with the resume I just listed -- being some semi-famous but not terribly impressive somebody's eternal brown-nosing errand boy, perhaps. I think he's probably already hit peak Jeremy. 

I only hope Jim Bob has already hit peak Jim Bob as well. 

I think I've mentioned Uncle Rico in Napoleon Dynamite before in relation to Jeremy, and I still cling to that comparison tighter than Jill clings to Derick. 😉 

He's the ultimate high school jock trying to relive that glory, though his ego is probably worse since he did make it to the pros. And Jim Bob is the same way--clinging to his glory days for bagging the hot cheerleader. 

• LOL 12
  • Love 4

I don't think JB is all that unhappy with Jeremy. Yes they have different beliefs about certain issues (family planning for one), but at the end they have the same beliefs or close enough to the same beliefs. If Jinger had married an atheist or a woman or something, that would infuriate him. He's still a conservative, patriarchal, white Christian and he has an education to fall back on. JB will have enough mouths to feed with just his sons and their wives and their quivers plus Ben and Jessa and their kids, etc. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
13 minutes ago, Temperance said:

He's still a conservative, patriarchal, white Christian and he has an education to fall back on. 

I’m curious about this...RFP is what, 30? Supposedly he has a degree in business? But what has he done, work-wise, that could lead to anything resembling a career, outside of mumbling his way through sermons in some backwater church somewhere?

• Love 11

I’m curious about this...RFP is what, 30? Supposedly he has a degree in business? But what has he done, work-wise, that could lead to anything resembling a career, outside of mumbling his way through sermons in some backwater church somewhere?

Well, he'd have to start at or near the bottom of pretty much any career path he picked, I guess.

But he can point to his business-related bachelor's plus the first year of an MBA from Syracuse..... And I think a lot of people would excuse his late start based on the attempt at a pro-sports career (always highly chancy) followed by an attempt at a pastoral career (if he decided to leave that). Those are both things I can imagine trying for and then not ultimately pursuing.....I'd be willing to accept a 30-something as a beginner if that's how they'd spent their 20s-plus-a-little, wouldn't you? 

Don't think he'd like being told he'd have to start from at or near the bottom of a career heap, though. ... That'd be the catch, as I imagine it. 

I still think that, if he were serious about actually working for a living, and if he's possibly decided that the ministry won't be for him, he could parlay the business studies and his interest in clothes (or even in restaurant meals!) into some kind of low-on-the-ladder-but-with-promotion-potential job in the apparel or restaurant biz. ...

That's if he were serious and displayed the proper attitude, that is. .... Given his current behavior, I'd say he'd be more likely to present as some sort of diva -- and be very very reluctant to seek out a start-from-the-bottom-and-work-hard type job.....So this is all moot, of course. 

Unlike any actual Duggar, he at least has a post-grade-school education to display! 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 12
2 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

That's what I said. 😂

Bahahaha I thought you meant Jeremy and Jinger visiting the Duggars. Oh that's embarrassing on my part.  LOL

Edited by Zella
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, he'd have to start at or near the bottom of pretty much any career path he picked, I guess.

But he can point to his business-related bachelor's plus the first year of an MBA from Syracuse..... And I think a lot of people would excuse his late start based on the attempt at a pro-sports career (always highly chancy) followed by an attempt at a pastoral career (if he decided to leave that). Those are both things I can imagine trying for and then not ultimately pursuing.....I'd be willing to accept a 30-something as a beginner if that's how they'd spent their 20s-plus-a-little, wouldn't you? 

Don't think he'd like being told he'd have to start from at or near the bottom of a career heap, though. ... That'd be the catch, as I imagine it. 

I still think that, if he were serious about actually working for a living, and if he's possibly decided that the ministry won't be for him, he could parlay the business studies and his interest in clothes (or even in restaurant meals!) into some kind of low-on-the-ladder-but-with-promotion-potential job in the apparel or restaurant biz. ...

That's if he were serious and displayed the proper attitude, that is. .... Given his current behavior, I'd say he'd be more likely to present as some sort of diva -- and be very very reluctant to seek out a start-from-the-bottom-and-work-hard type job.....So this is all moot, of course. 

Unlike any actual Duggar, he at least has a post-grade-school education to display! 

At his age,  and the distance between his academic life,  his unused degree is useless.  Unless he wants to start again as an assistant manager at Rogan's  Shoes.  

• Love 7
1 minute ago, fonfereksglen said:

At his age,  and the distance between his academic life,  his unused degree is useless.  Unless he wants to start again as an assistant manager at Rogan's  Shoes.  

It's also sort of shocking how inept Jeremy is at basic Business 101. I never studied marketing but have done a fair amount of that work for both businesses and non-profits. (Gotta put that English degree to work!) I would never claim to be an expert in marketing, but it seems like he must have slept through any marketing class he ever took. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
15 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

See, this was what I was wondering...you don’t use it, you lose it...

12 minutes ago, Zella said:

I would never claim to be an expert in marketing, but it seems like he must have slept through any marketing class he ever took. 

Fixed it for you...😎

• LOL 13
15 minutes ago, Zella said:

It's also sort of shocking how inept Jeremy is at basic Business 101. I never studied marketing but have done a fair amount of that work for both businesses and non-profits. (Gotta put that English degree to work!) I would never claim to be an expert in marketing, but it seems like he must have slept through any marketing class he ever took. 

Sort of like how he's sleeping through the curriculum at the Master's Seminary? 😂

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • LOL 10
  • Love 2

Fixed it for you...😎

Bahahaha For real! 

15 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Sort of like how he's sleeping through the curriculum at the Master's Seminary? 😂

Hehe I think he's eating his way through the Master's Seminary, based on his Instagram. 😉 

Like, seriously, there's no way this dude is attending class--and if he is attending class, there's no way he's doing the work. I'd love uncensored thoughts from his classmates who aren't among the chosen. I'd venture to say there's a lot of resentment toward Jeremy and his inexplicable favored status. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 17
9 hours ago, Zella said:

Despite Chuck's remarks in a sermon praising Jer's great "discipline," I get the impression he may never have been a very enthusiastic worker. I remember some articles about him after he was cut from the New York Bulls. They didn't come right out and say this but I got the impression from some quotes from the coach that they weren't convinced he'd tried to work up to his potential......

And he clearly gave up completely on the sport after a short time in his next gig, on the minor-league San Antonio team, quite possibly because the preacher route seemed easier -- all you had to do was put on a pretty suit, stand up and blather vaguely (at least the way he envisioned it). 

9 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

But...but...but he's a BREAKTHROUGH STAR!!!!!1212

And of course Jingle is as well! (although I doubt she'd say that....she might not even think it...) 

But Jer proclaims it for both of them because, uh, Jingle's kind of pretty and has a cute kid.....just like...oh, maybe about a third of the women on the planet? .... Lots of breakout stars around, apparently. 

• Love 12

I think jeremy could get a normal job, but he won't because his ego makes him think he is better than that. We make fun of Derick for not lasting long at any real job, but I don't think Jeremy would be any better. He couldn't even be bothered to actually work many Sundays when he was in Laredo.

I think he also likes the fawning and attention he gets as a pastor, so he would rather fight upstream with that rather than go with something he would be better at but lacks the veneer of holiness. 

Actually, I think Jeremy wants to be a male model more than anything, but he really needs to get over that fantasy.

Ultimately, Jeremy wants to be a celebrity--wouldn't surprise me at all that he was disappointed with his limited success as a professional athlete and is now on the look out for anything that gives him that form of attention, from being a pastor to being an influencer. But he is not really honest about why he wants these things or his strengths or weaknesses, so he has shitty instincts and he will always flounder.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Tasya said:

I think a lot of people are projecting their wishes and hopes over reality. I work in DC within HR in an industry that pays pretty well. High 5 figures to low 6 figures to START; if Jeremy walked in as a white, Christian male with a business degree he'd get the job. Period. It's unfortunate and jaded but it's the truth. He looks the "part" and there's absolutely no doubt that he can talk the type of talk that the good ole boys that still run most businesses want to hear. If he and Jinger ever stop the TV gig, they'll be just fine, and I know that he knows that. They're dabbling with this "influencer" thing, but if/when the show has run its course, these two will be OK as long as they don't have any Josh type scandal. 

Think about it like this, FRC hired JOSH for a very lucrative position. He had no degree, was not attractive, not appealing in any way at all. Jeremy is reasonably attractive, has a degree, was a pro-athlete (however modest) and is attached to the ultimate christian in these people's eyes. He could come to the DC area right now and be attached to some sort of right-wing group.  

I could see this.  Though at that salary I guess we have to assume he will be gifted a house again?  Near a Metro station.  And Jinj might have to work since most families need two incomes.

We lived in the DC area 21 years and we miss it.  But we don't miss the traffic or the high cost of living.

• Love 5

At that salary they would just have to move to a suburb. I live 30 minutes outside of DC on the Maryland side of town and I manage just fine. They could do just what Josh and Anna did. The cost of living in DC is only really bad if you insist on living in DC or the close in VA/Montgomery County Maryland side of things. If you move further south in VA or in PG, Howard, Anne Arundel or Charles County, you'll be just fine. 

• Love 7