Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

I hear you Churchie.

We make a lot of assumptions on sound bites and posts. I 100% agree that the Duggar woman (and men) are being sold a bunch of bullshit. I also believe the Duggar women are oppressed. But to what degree?

I also believe that the world at large has not had an ideal childhood. I'm guessing many have had a mixture of both. So what is normal is very broad. The Duggar childhoods are unique to them and only them. No one on here has firsthand knowledge of what they're thinking or how they're managing in life.

Part of why I tend to normalize some behaviors is because I believe they are normal and not always a reflection of their uber-Fundy beliefs. Also, I'm trying to allow Jana to reflect any agency she might actually have.

So yes, I believe Jana has a brain, some independent thoughts and the ability to say no to going to Orlando. I'm guessing she might wrestle with some amplified guilt, more than the average person when saying no, but I believe the Duggar children have a little more physical and emotional freedom then we sometimes think.

I draw this conclusion from my own life lense, in addition to providing therapy to a very wide range of folks over many, many years. Also through my experience as a therapist I know it's often hard to figure a person out who sits in front of you, sharing their thoughts, experiences and opinions, week after week. So I know for sure there is more about the Duggars we don't know, than we do know. And I'm sure not all of it is bad.

Have you never worked with people who truly didn't have the freedom you're talking about, though?

Because it seems like you're saying that everybody has more freedom than they appear to have (unless there's a gun to their heads or something) and that it's not even possible for my take on the situation to be the case.....But I'm not sure that's what you're saying!....Is that what you're saying, or is it something else? 

Because I could swear -- from my experience -- that that isn't true! That it is possible to be in a situation where people are just deprived of their agency almost completely in many important matters....because a system exists in which that agency is denied from on high in some way.....

• Love 5

I can easily see Jana agreeing to help with Felicity because it is just easier for Jana to say yes.  She is taking the path of least resistance because she learned a long time ago it was easier for everyone if she did just that.  It would also never occur to Jinger that maybe Jana doesn't really want to watch her child.  Jinger grew up seeing her sister being obedient and never talking back.  I don't see anything malicious in Jinger asking Jana for help with the baby.  In her mind, Jana is being her useful self.  Jinger is perpetuating her parents' behaviors.  Jessa on the other hand is a different story.  

If Jana were to put her foot down and say no, JInger and the rest of the siblings would think that Jana is being selfish.  If Jana tried to put together a reasonable argument as to why she doesn't want to help her married sister complete with past examples, she will be told that she is just being melodramatic, or she needs to let things go, or (my personal favorite) that never happened.  It is very difficult to establish boundaries with your family after years of this pattern.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
On 9/22/2019 at 12:56 PM, Giant Misfit said:

So, according to this post, they rode the Incredible Hulk coaster at Islands of Adventure "many times over." The average wait time for that coaster is about an hour (depending on crowd size and it could be longer) so either they burned 2-3 (depends on what "many" means) hours waiting in line to ride it or someone donated an Express Pass to them to the tune of anywhere between $40 and $150 each. That, or they really did stay at Hard Rock or Portofino where the Express Passes come as a benefit of having a valid room key. 

Also, he looks like the third Property Brother. 

In JinJer’s defense the Hulk coaster is the ideal coaster for multiple rides in a row.  I rode five times in a row the week of Thanksgiving some years back and I’d do it again right now if I could. There was no line about two hours before closing.  School is in session so the lines probably aren’t bad.  Plus the real crowds are in Daigon Alley, WWHP, and Transformers (which is also awesome).

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Have you never worked with people who truly didn't have the freedom you're talking about, though?

Because it seems like you're saying that everybody has more freedom than they appear to have (unless there's a gun to their heads or something) and that it's not even possible for my take on the situation to be the case.....But I'm not sure that's what you're saying!....Is that what you're saying, or is it something else? 

Because I could swear -- from my experience -- that that isn't true! That it is possible to be in a situation where people are just deprived of their agency almost completely in many important matters....because a system exists in which that agency is denied from on high in some way.....

Nope not saying that at all. Actually in my experience it goes both ways. Some folks have had more agency than they thought and others have had less than they thought and others have been spot-on and know exactly where they're at in that regard.

And although I have never worked with an uber-Fundy, I have worked with many adults who were raised in oppressive and suppressive households - some with a religious influence and others with no religious influence.

I guess I get frustrated when opinion and speculation turn into fact. If we take military PTSD for an example. A soldier who spends most of his time in the mess tent, as the cook, could come home with PTSD from hearing stories and losing comrades. A soldier on the front line may return home without issues. Logically, many would think it should be the other way around, however that's not always the case.

So when a thought is posted, we, including myself, sometimes run with it. Every once in a while I feel compelled to offer another lense. A lense that could possibly be accurate.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Useful 2
  • Love 14
8 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Nope not saying that at all. Actually in my experience it goes both ways. Some folks have had more agency than they thought and others have had less than they thought and others have been spot-on and know exactly where they're at in that regard.

And although I have never worked with an uber-Fundy, I have worked with many adults who were raised in oppressive and suppressive households - some with a religious influence and others with no religious influence.

I guess I get frustrated when opinion and speculation turn into fact. If we take military PTSD for an example. A soldier who spends most of his time in the mess tent, as the cook, could come home with PTSD from hearing stories and losing comrades. A soldier on the front line may return home without issues. Logically, many would think it should be the other way around, however that's not always the case.

So when a thought is posted, we, including myself, sometimes run with it. Every once in a while I feel compelled to offer another lense. A lense that could possibly be accurate.

Gotcha. And I agree! 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

@Churchhoney, we sure know how to kill a thread, huh? LOL

Yep, I think that quite often! But, hey, there are other threads. ... 

Plus, for people of a certain cast of mind, we're nothing if not interesting!  Granted there aren't many people with that cast of mind...but still.....😀😬

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Yep, I think that quite often! But, hey, there are other threads. ... 

Plus, for people of a certain cast of mind, we're nothing if not interesting!  Granted there aren't many people with that cast of mind...but still.....😀😬

Well, as I said before, I enjoy every one of your posts, whether I agree with them or not. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

You know, I almost (remember i wrote almost) hope that Jeremy succeeds and ends up with a Joel Osteen like ministry and millions of $$. Because that would be the day we see JimBoob's head explode ! It makes me smile.

Well, the Jim Bob head exploding part would definitely be very very good. ... !

Have to say, though, I fear that somehow JB would be able to sneak into Jer's spotlight and grab some o f the glitter for himself in any case. He's awfully good at that -- and just as determined to do it as Jeremy is. And Jer's done what I consider an alarming amount of sucking up to JB and M on his social media, too. Way more so than the other adjacents, seems to me. He may want to forget that at some point -- but JB won't. 😬

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Fig Newton said:

This is what I know.

When I was a grad student, I was low on both time and money. Vacation was far from elaborate and occurred only during break times. Certainly, I was not given any preferential treatment to miss class or work or not show for my internships as this was a requirement to fulfill as my time as a student. I had to EARN my degree, it was not GIVEN to me.  Additionally, I PAID to be a student and to get as much out of my curriculum as possible. Disney or elaborate dinners and fancy clothes or photo ops were never on my syllabus.

I think Jer and Jin have become the least likeable for me. Jill is pathetic and sad. Jer and Jin have become narcissistic and self-serving. Jer is particular has really been making my stomach turn. He is NOT practicing what he preaches. He is practicing using the religion as a way to get perks and free shit while so many people work so damn hard to just try to get a job or find scholarships to attend school. Jeremy is not subtle in showing his egocentric self. His job now is to throw crap at his following 🤮 because that builds his ego which buys him tight pants and stupid looking bows for his prop. And poor Jinger is like a little lost dog following him around. Next photo just might be Jing on a leash following her pathetically disgusting master.

Ok, I need to go put my DEGREE I EARNED to work and actually, truly and really help people. Not just talk about it like these asshats.

Exactly. 

I'm betting the other nearly 600 students at The Master's Seminary agree with you as well. Which is the worst part for me.

And it's documentary proof that the complaints TMS students and ex-faculty have made about the school's egregious playing-favorites and paying-suckups history are quite valid. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 23
1 hour ago, Fig Newton said:

This is what I know.

When I was a grad student, I was low on both time and money. Vacation was far from elaborate and occurred only during break times. Certainly, I was not given any preferential treatment to miss class or work or not show for my internships as this was a requirement to fulfill as my time as a student. I had to EARN my degree, it was not GIVEN to me.  Additionally, I PAID to be a student and to get as much out of my curriculum as possible. Disney or elaborate dinners and fancy clothes or photo ops were never on my syllabus.

I think Jer and Jin have become the least likeable for me. Jill is pathetic and sad. Jer and Jin have become narcissistic and self-serving. Jer is particular has really been making my stomach turn. He is NOT practicing what he preaches. He is practicing using the religion as a way to get perks and free shit while so many people work so damn hard to just try to get a job or find scholarships to attend school. Jeremy is not subtle in showing his egocentric self. His job now is to throw crap at his following 🤮 because that builds his ego which buys him tight pants and stupid looking bows for his prop. And poor Jinger is like a little lost dog following him around. Next photo just might be Jing on a leash following her pathetically disgusting master.

Ok, I need to go put my DEGREE I EARNED to work and actually, truly and really help people. Not just talk about it like these asshats.

I want to like this 100 times.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

As much fun as the exploding part would be, I’m sick and tired of how being a white man sucking up to the right other white men in this country can make white men rich and powerful, with absolutely no talent, effort or aptitude required. Hiding rapacious greed and lust for power under a colorful candy coating of Jesus, subservient wives and cute babies makes it even worse.

So I want to see RFP crash and burn. I want “influencer” to stop being a career path...for anyone. But mostly I want to see RFP have to actually work for a damned living...hell, even get his manicured hands dirty occasionally. 

One of the upsides I see of their instagram life is that Felicity will be way more wordly than Jinger was, and that can mean good things for girls born into this cult. The more Jinger embraces the real world, the better for Felicity. 

I don't think Jeremy will be able to float his own church, ever. And I don't think the mega church trend will continue with the newer generations, IMO. But I might be really biased as I don't go to church and I also don't know many people who do go to church .

• Love 14
1 hour ago, yogi2014L said:

One of the upsides I see of their instagram life is that Felicity will be way more wordly than Jinger was, and that can mean good things for girls born into this cult. The more Jinger embraces the real world, the better for Felicity. 

I don't think Jeremy will be able to float his own church, ever. And I don't think the mega church trend will continue with the newer generations, IMO. But I might be really biased as I don't go to church and I also don't know many people who do go to church .

While Felicity will be more "wordly" than Jinger, that's only true in the sense that most people are wordlier than their parents. It won't mean anything on any practical level. Fundies in general are more superficially wordly these days, and that's a deliberate choice in order to entice heathens into the fold. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
8 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Have to say, though, I fear that somehow JB would be able to sneak into Jer's spotlight and grab some o f the glitter for himself in any case. He's awfully good at that -- and just as determined to do it as Jeremy is.

I have a feeling that Jeremy wouldn't let JBoob in. Someone like Ben would just let Boob run right over him. I dont think Jeremy would let that happen. Jeremy would be the king of his castle and he would be the boss.

• Love 9
37 minutes ago, MsJamieDornan said:

I have a feeling that Jeremy wouldn't let JBoob in. Someone like Ben would just let Boob run right over him. I dont think Jeremy would let that happen. Jeremy would be the king of his castle and he would be the boss.

Yes. Look at the dynamic between Jeremy's parents and Jinger's parents. The Vuolos, unlike the Seewalds (at least initially), and Lauren's and Kendra's parents, do not give off a vibe of being thrilled to be in the Presence of the Duggars and basking in the reflected fame and glory. Maybe it's just me, but in the photos when the two couples have had to be together (wedding, etc.), I see determined social smiles on the Vuolos' faces and not the fandom/celebrity starshine that I'm sure JB and Meech are used to seeing in the faces of those they bless with their presence. 

The Vuolos (Jer's parents, I mean) don't seem to need the Duggars for a damn thing, although their son is working Jinger's fame for all it's worth. If Jer hits it big, it's going to be his house, his rules, and he'll take no nonsense from herp-derp JimBoob. 

• Love 18
6 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

The Vuolos (Jer's parents, I mean) don't seem to need the Duggars for a damn thing, although their son is working Jinger's fame for all it's worth. If Jer hits it big, it's going to be his house, his rules, and he'll take no nonsense from herp-derp JimBoob. 

Exactly ! He will continue to work the Duggar fame for all it's worth. And kiss ass on social media to all the Duggars. But, he would be fine if he never had to deal with them again. 

• Love 12
41 minutes ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Exactly ! He will continue to work the Duggar fame for all it's worth. And kiss ass on social media to all the Duggars. But, he would be fine if he never had to deal with them again. 

I agree with that....Although I expect that Der and Bin and possibly even Austin (though not his father) may feel the exact same way. Der's family have never looked like Duggar fans either.

JB's damn determined, however. And I expect his determination may even outstrip Jer's in some ways. Plus, he has a lot of experience manipulating the media somehow. 

I'd bet it's all moot, though, because Jer doesn't have the talents (speaking skills, charisma, intelligence of any kind except for his high schmoozing intelligence) or the work ethic to become some magnetic Christian bigwig. (who has to get people regularly into the seats and get them to regularly give money....interesting church-giving trends, which may be a problem for him and his competitors >>>>https://pushpay.com/blog/church-giving-statistics/) Jer can be part of a team at some church, but more brains, personal appeal and work-related energy are required to claw your way to the top of those joints.

And the kind of big media-driven conservative Christian church he's probably counting on to support him in the future may be going the way of the dodo anyway.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 15
9 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

As much fun as the exploding part would be, I’m sick and tired of how being a white man sucking up to the right other white men in this country can make white men rich and powerful, with absolutely no talent, effort or aptitude required. Hiding rapacious greed and lust for power under a colorful candy coating of Jesus, subservient wives and cute babies makes it even worse.

So I want to see RFP crash and burn. I want “influencer” to stop being a career path...for anyone. But mostly I want to see RFP have to actually work for a damned living...hell, even get his manicured hands dirty occasionally. 

I love you all. So happy to have this group!  

• Love 19

Jana is almost 30.  She's had over 12 years to pick a guy, and I guarantee there have been some that would have been good choices.  I think she just doesn't want one.

And why would she want her own kids? She gets a never-ending stream of related babies, without going through pregnancy and childbirth, that she gets to enjoy, play with, then give BACK to their parents.  I'm betting she sleeps great at night, as she gets all the good parts of parenthood. 

Felicity seems the most photogenic of all of them, so I'd be the prop in her pictures!

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 11
9 hours ago, leighdear said:

Jana is almost 30.  She's had over 12 years to pick a guy, and I guarantee there have been some that would have been good choices.

First dude she had a true shot at was Derick. No thanks! The list basically gets more pathetic from there...

• Love 11
52 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

So RFP is going to be hitting those books super hard again, hmmm?

Something was said on IG this week about Lissy coming to see him “at work”.  Maybe he’s now an employee and no longer a student?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

Something was said on IG this week about Lissy coming to see him “at work”.  Maybe he’s now an employee and no longer a student?

We have many theories and no answers. Maybe he's just a theological genius!

• LOL 16
51 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Or else he's "taking it' but has just been told that, unlike everybody else, he just shouldn't worry about tests, papers, class discussions, preaching and pastoring practicums, etc. .... wink wink nudge nudge

Maybe his "job" is just to be there, seem to be a student like the rest but actually spend his time and energy showing people on social media, on TeeVee and on visits elsewhere what an amazing, wonderful life students at The Master's Seminary have. Make it look like such a fabulous and enticing place to be that guys will be beating down the doors to get in .... so their reputation rises to the skies to the point that nobody, including accrediting agencies, can deny it .... 

....or something. 

Yep, sounds completely implausible to me, too. But almost all of my closest friends and family have graduate and/or professional degrees that I've watched them obtain.....And being a full-time student seemed to fill up most of the time for everybody. Not a lot of going out to dinner or whatever. 

I'd like to see what the lives of his classmates are like......

I suppose it's possible that -- just as many seminaries dropped the biblical-language requirements in recent years -- at some point TMS just gave up trying to make big demands on their students.

Maybe they just figure being in the atmosphere of the institution and being around fellow students and faculty all the time -- all men with exactly the right theology -- provides enough learning.......So it's a kind of Calvinist seminary party school for everybody .... (not very Puritan of them, if that's the case ... but who knows?)

ETA: Here's a blog post from a guy who got the degree Jer's getting in 2017. You may laugh. 

https://www.redeemingproductivity.com/10-tips-to-dominate-seminary/

"10 Tips for Success in the Seminary" -- Some quotes -- 

"Seminary is hard. That’s a fact. It’s a big investment of time and money, so it pays to make sure you are doing all you can to have success in seminary.

"With the right mindset and the right tools, the workload can be made more manageable. It is crucial that as seminary students we practice good study habits now so that we will be prepared for a lifetime of diligent and productive study of God’s Word."   Uh-huh. 

"Without neglecting the spiritual, much of our success in studies depends on our ability to manage our time well. The course load is heavy." Yeah, right. 

"Is a heavy class load causing you to struggle to provide for your family? Are you failing to keep up with personal devotional time? Do you have to say “no” to ministry involvement in your local church because you’re too busy learning about how to minister in a local church?

"See the irony?

"Well, there’s a simple solution to that. Lighten your class load. You can take seminary slower. You say, “But I’ll have to pay more per credit if I’m not full time!” True, but the alternative may be much more expensive spiritually. There is no virtue in rushing through seminary if the price tag is neglect of God, family, and church life." Worried about both time and money they are. I think Jeremy needs to blog for them, because he seems to have a much better handle on how to this without stress. 

"Get Over Yourself" (my favorite tip)

"If Paul considered himself nothing, don’t consider yourself something. Don’t think that your school is lucky to have you at their institution. 

"There is nothing more disgusting than an arrogant servant, the term is almost oxymoronic. Yet so many pastors are filled with an appalling level of hubris. How terrible if academically you are a success in seminary, but spiritually you come out a failure.

"Get it out of your system now.

"You will wreak havoc in ministry if you don’t. If you view seminary as the stepping stone to construct your tiny kingdom. Watch out. Better yet, get out! Do you really think the church of the King of Kings is the anvil upon which you will forge your empire?"

That "advice" is gold! And the "get over yourself" part is Jeremy in a nutshell. Especially the part about hubris. 

• Love 20

Noticed this on jing’s IG today- what is fromthegiftshoppe.com?  I’m not going to give them hits and check out the site.  “For business inquiries”. Nice.  

It won’t let me insert the screenshot. 

Edited by awaken
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, awaken said:

Noticed this on jing’s IG today- what is fromthegiftshoppe.com?  I’m not going to give them hits and check out the site.  “For business inquiries”. Nice.  

When you put that in Google, you pull up a "Private Site." Says "This site is currently private. If you're the owner or contributor, log in."  Don't know what it'd mean to post a url like that on your social media.....Maybe that your post was mainly directed to the owner or another member of that site? 

Edited by Churchhoney
10 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Well, good news for RFP...he’s already well on his way to failing in both!

Yet I'd bet heavily that he'll keep on doing just what he's doing now. And have the degree handed to him wrapped with a big fat bow  earn the degree pretty quickly -- like, by May 2021. And have been handed  landed a job by then as well. Your wife's family's fame can get you a long way!  I hope he at least says "thank you" to Jingle. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:
11 hours ago, awaken said:

When you put that in Google, you pull up a "Private Site." Says "This site is currently private. If you're the owner or contributor, log in."  Don't know what it'd mean to post a url like that on your social media.....Maybe that your post was mainly directed to the owner or another member of that site? 

When I looked it up yesterday a standard florist and gift shop came up.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Absolom said:

When I looked it up yesterday a standard florist and gift shop came up.

Site must just have been down this morning. Probably different ways you configure a site can give some different messages when a site's down. 

Edited by Churchhoney
On 9/20/2019 at 11:32 AM, MsJamieDornan said:

Well, it's probably part of Jeremy's PR plan. Jinger wears shorts, someone gets a photo and everyone's talking about it. 

I dunno though, if there was a plan, don't you think she'd have avoided sitting in something while the plan was being essayed?  I spy a quarter-sized dark spot/stain on the right buttock...

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
57 minutes ago, queenanne said:

I dunno though, if there was a plan, don't you think she'd have avoided sitting in something while the plan was being essayed?  I spy a quarter-sized dark spot/stain on the right buttock...

That appears to be the shadowed inside space of the letter "D" in the RADAR ONLINE watermark of the photo. 

I think their plan is still intact. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, queenanne said:

Yeah, I noticed that too. On the photo on her instagram. Kind of oval shaped, brownish....looks to be some kind of grease spot. When you view the photo on Instagram itself on a computer monitor, it seems pretty obvious it's a recent food stain she's unaware of..... Probably unknowingly sat on a small hunk of Felicity's breakfast. Or Jer's..... Occupational hazard of chauffering little kids (and others) who are drinking and eating stuff.....

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3