Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

The pastor in the pulpit is supposed to be inspired directly by God at all times, in their theology

First, Churchhoney, you are a treasure. You know amazing things and I learn so much from you.

Second, see quote above...if this is the goal, RFP has some inner work to do, because God doesn’t give two shits about veneers and pocket squares.

• LOL 1
  • Love 19
8 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

He played soccer in Finland for about a year. I assume he learned some Finnish in that amount of time! Of course, that would have been spoken Finnish, most likely, and learning a language just to speak it is pretty different from learning a language just to read it. And Finnish is a pretty unique language as well. 

Actually, he may not know any Finnish.  The Scandinavian countries have an excellent educational system and virtually everyone takes English starting in elementary school.  About 70% of Finns speak English fluently.  It's kind of embarrassing, really.

I went to Norway for the Olympics in 1994.  We got a Norwegian phrase book and a CD and tried to learn enough to ask where the bathroom was, order food in restaurants and say 'please' and 'thank you'.  We never got to use it because most businesses had signage in both English and Norwegian and most of the natives spoke English as well as we did, albeit with a sort of British accent.  Norwegian TV showed American shows in English with Norwegian subtitles.

• Useful 5
  • Love 11
33 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Actually, he may not know any Finnish.  The Scandinavian countries have an excellent educational system and virtually everyone takes English starting in elementary school.  About 70% of Finns speak English fluently.  It's kind of embarrassing, really.

Yeah, I know. I was just trying to give him all the benefit of the doubt that I have available! 

Because since there's no way for us to know, why not? 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Jinger looks like she ate some sugar and is now experiencing a sugar high.

I hear tell she held a doughnut recently. Maybe she took a bite while Jer wasn't looking & is now sugar crashing.

• LOL 9
1 hour ago, Zella said:

I honestly find it annoying regardless of who it is--them, my friends, my family. It always seems so insecure, like they have to prove to the world how happy they are. It comes across as if publicly displaying their relationship is more important than the relationship itself. 

Oh, I totally agree that all the public posting of everything is ridiculous (for various reasons) and shouldn't be done.

In general, I think -- as you say -- that it's lousy for their own relationships and their own mental health and ethical compass. And I think as a society the existence of the internet has pushed us way too far with the revealing-the-private-lives of "celebrities" thing as well as with reality tv's promotion of people to 'celebrity" status who have no claim to the status at all. 

However, the public posting of things that I think have no business being publicly posted is a given with this family. 

So, when it comes to their inevitable, endless public posting -- some all about their endless bragging and others (like Joy's grief photos) just (in my opinion) very ill-advised things to post for millions of gawking strangers to consume for whatever reasons (unknown to you) those strangers may have -- then, yes I disapprove of most of it, for various reasons.

However, when you get beyond the constant posting itself and look at what is posted in each case, for that I make a variety of judgments. And, as you-shouldn't-post-it-but-I-know-you-will crap goes, Jeremy's posting a positive message about his wife is, for me, not something I scorn.

Unlike some other things that get posted, I have no evidence that would justify my saying that the message is actually untruthful bullshit;

or that it actually brags beyond saying "Hey, I think my wife's pretty" (which to me is acceptable bragging if you're a person who must brag and/or send what should be private messages publicly);

or that it's all the usual annoying cliches that we know don't mean anything because they say the exact same stuff in every situation;

or that there's inherently something phony or wrong about him saying that Jingle's pretty face gets him through the day.

And I don't find it a dangerous thing to post for a million strangers, as I do with Joy's grief postings, for example. 

Obviously, MMV on all that.

I'm sure plenty of people have good reasons for concluding some or all of those things and criticizing the post on those grounds. 

In this case, though, I don't! So I don't feel at all like bashing Jer over this one. I kind of feel like congratulating him, really. If he just posted stuff in this vein, I wouldn't think he was a pretentious dumbass. Or at least I'd have a lot less evidence that he is!

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Oh, I totally agree that all the public posting of everything is ridiculous (for various reasons) and shouldn't be done.  

However, the public posting of things that I think have no business being publicly posted is a given with this family. 

So, when it comes to their inevitable, endless public posting -- some all about their endless bragging and others (like Joy's grief photos) just (in my opinion) very ill-advised things to post for millions of gawking strangers to consume for whatever reasons (unknown to you) those strangers may have) -- then, yes I disapprove of most of it, for various reasons.

However, when you get beyond the constant posting itself and look at what is posted in each case, for that I make a variety of judgments. And, as you-shouldn't-post-it-but-I-know-you-will crap goes, Jeremy's posting a positive message about his wife is, for me, not something I scorn.

I have no evidence that would justify my saying that the message is actually untruthful bullshit; or that it actually brags beyond saying "Hey, I think my wife's pretty" (which to me is acceptable bragging if you're a person who must brag publicly); or that it's all the usual annoying cliches that we know don't mean anything because they say the exact same stuff in every situation; or that there's inherently something phony or wrong about him saying that thinking about Jingle's pretty face gets him through the day.

Obviously, MMV on that.

I'm sure plenty of people have good reasons for concluding some or all of those things and criticizing the post on those grounds. 

In this case, though, I don't! 

If Jeremy hadn't been such a pretentious, obnoxious twat on social media, I'd find it annoying but wouldn't say anything. LOL But he's become my Bitch Eating Crackers. 😄

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 13
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Oh, I totally agree that all the public posting of everything is ridiculous (for various reasons) and shouldn't be done. In general, I think it's lousy for their own relationships and their own mental health and ethical compass and I think as a society the existence of the internet has pushed us way too far with the revealing-the-private-lives of "celebrities" thing as well as with reality tv's promotion of people to 'celebrity" status who have no claim to the status at all. 

So, when it comes to their inevitable, endless public posting -- some all about their endless bragging and others (like Joy's grief photos) just (in my opinion) very ill-advised things to post for millions of gawking strangers to consume for whatever reasons (unknown to you) those strangers may have -- then, yes I disapprove of most of it, for various reasons.

Unlike some other things that get posted, I have no evidence that would justify my saying that the message is actually untruthful bullshit;

or that it actually brags beyond saying "Hey, I think my wife's pretty" (which to me is acceptable bragging if you're a person who must brag and send what should be private messages publicly);

or that it's all the usual annoying cliches that we know don't mean anything because they say the exact same stuff in every situation;

or that there's inherently something phony or wrong about him saying that thinking about Jingle's pretty face gets him through the day.

And I don't find it a dangerous thing to post for a millions strangers, as I do with Joy's grief postings, for example. 

Obviously, MMV on all that.

In this case, though, I don't! So I don't feel at all like bashing Jer over this one. 

I thought it was a poor choice of picture .... Jing did not look her best.  

• Love 3
Just now, Zella said:

If Jeremy hadn't been such a pretentious, obnoxious twat on social media, I'd find it annoying but wouldn't say anything. LOL But he's become my Bitch Eating Crackers. 😄

Yep. I definitely get that! He often seems to do his utmost to win the Bitch Eating Crackers crown! 

I'm wary of allowing myself to react to real people that way, though. I don't think it's healthy for me to have a knee-jerk reaction that always defends somebody or always bashes them. Hardly anybody is that monolithic, for one thing. And, for another, a lot of times I just don't have enough information even to speculate! 

Plus, what truly interests me about the Duggar gang (and people generally) is trying to figure them out and understand what they really are about. And that requires trying to see every side of the person that I can see. I don't actually enjoy snark for snark's sake. Nor do I enjoy looking at the babies because "they're so cute" or watching Jer and Jingle do all these "fun and interesting" things in LA, or whatever. None of that interests me a whit, and I despise myself when I go too far with snark.

(Obviously I've made exceptions for JB and M on the snark-- Because they're old enough to have done tons of things that I find just horrendous....and I hate what I think they've done to their children and would do to the world in general if they got a chance, I just unload on them. But the rest of them still have many chances to show that they're not so loathsome, so I try to restrain myself.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

I thought it was a poor choice of picture .... Jing did not look her best.  

It's not a great picture. 

But the smile doesn't look forced to me, and I wonder whether that's why he likes it. In so many pictures her face (and everybody else's) looks just a little strained in a smile. And here she seems kind of relaxed (hence all the weed comments!).....Maybe he likes it because it feels kind of spontaneous and real.....

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Yep. I definitely get that! He often seems to do his utmost to win the Bitch Eating Crackers crown! 

I'm wary of allowing myself to react to real people that way, though. I don't think it's healthy for me to have a knee-jerk reaction that always defends somebody or always bashes them. Hardly anybody is that monolithic, for one thing. And, for another, a lot of times I just don't have enough information even to speculate! 

Plus, what truly interests me about the Duggar gang (and people generally) is trying to figure them out and understand what they really are about. And that requires trying to see every side of the person that I can see. I don't actually enjoy snark for snark's sake. Nor do I enjoy looking at the babies because "they're so cute" or watching Jer and Jingle do all these "fun and interesting" things in LA, or whatever. None of that interests me a whit, and I despise myself when I go too far with snark.

(Obviously I've made exceptions for JB and M on the snark-- Because they're old enough to have done tons of things that I find just horrendous....and I hate what I think they've done to their children and would do to the world in general if they got a chance, I just unload on them. But the rest of them still have many chances to show that they're not so loathsome, so I try to restrain myself.)

I normally try to avoid having a BEC, but I find his constant shilling and attention-whoring when he claims to be a pastor especially despicable. Like, if he just suddenly dropped the pastor bullshit and declared himself a socialite/D-list celebrity, my disdain for him would instantly drop in half.

I think the trend of people being famous for being famous is weird, but then he'd be just a mildly annoying hipster, and I have friends that match that description, so I'd just do what I do when I see their crap on my FB feed: roll my eyes and then scroll and roll. LOL

Edited by Zella
  • Love 21
25 minutes ago, Zella said:

I normally try to avoid having a BEC, but I find his constant shilling and attention-whoring when he claims to be a pastor especially despicable. Like, if he just suddenly dropped the pastor bullshit and declared himself a socialite/D-list celebrity, my disdain for him would instantly drop in half.

I think the trend of people being famous for being famous is weird, but then he'd be just a mildly annoying hipster, and I have friends that match that description, so I'd just do what I do when I see their crap on my FB feed: roll my eyes and then scroll and roll. LOL

Totally agree. ☺️

Maybe that's why I've felt compelled the past few days to give him some benefits of the doubt when any sliver of doubt appears to give him the benefit of! 

I know he's a real human being, not a cartoon character. And he wasn't raised by Jim Bob and Michelle..... So I'm on the lookout for things that show his other, non-shilling, low-pretension side. (Hoping for that side to crowd out some of the pretentious shilling! For Felicity's sake and so his pretension doesn't contaminate Jingle...)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Totally agree. ☺️

Maybe that's why I've felt compelled the past few days to give him some benefits of the doubt when any sliver of doubt appears to give him the benefit of! 

I know he's a real human being, not a cartoon character. And he wasn't raised by Jim Bob and Michelle..... So I'm on the lookout for things that show his other, non-shilling, low-pretension side. (Hoping for that side to crowd out some of the pretentious shilling! For Felicity's sake and so his pretension doesn't contaminate Jingle...)

Sometimes I wonder if Jinger occasionally thinks the non-profane, fundie version of "Jeremy, it's a piece of cloth that goes in your pocket. Calm the fuck down." Not that I think she'd ever say it but still. 

• LOL 13
12 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

I'm just wondering how Jeremy posted this without social media on his phone. Did Jinger send it to him while he was at school? Did he then take a screenshot of it, text it to her, and tell her to post it? I 100% believe Jeremy has Instagram on his phone, but preaches that OTHER men should not, lest they be tempted. (But he is above being tempted). 

Yeah, he has social media on his phone. That line didn't hold water for five minutes.  

It still laid out a good ideal for the little people to strive for, though! That's what preachers do, right? 😀

• LOL 9
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I know he's a real human being, not a cartoon character.

You're a nicer person than I am, to think that.

I'm not very nice, I suppose. To me, he's just another reality TV star, presenting a crafted/edited version of himself on TV and in public media. He's playing the celebrity game in search of fame, power, and wealth. His particular role right now is seminary student and wannabe social media influencer, and very fashionable at that. His value to me is as passing entertainment, which has the added bonus of illuminating the very (IMO) un-salubrious world of his corner of theology. 

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Jeeves said:

You're a nicer person than I am, to think that.

I'm not very nice, I suppose. To me, he's just another reality TV star, presenting a crafted/edited version of himself on TV and in public media. He's playing the celebrity game in search of fame, power, and wealth. His particular role right now is seminary student and wannabe social media influencer, and very fashionable at that. His value to me is as passing entertainment, which has the added bonus of illuminating the very (IMO) un-salubrious world of his corner of theology. 

Well, I wouldn't say I'm nicer. I just have a different view of people.

I see most if not all reality-tv people as people who maybe aren't with it/smart/savvy/informed enough to understand what they're actually giving away of themselves and and what they're ceding to forces beyond their control by signing up for these shows. 

And while I don't cut Jer as much slack on this score as I do the Duggarlings -- who were dragged into this as kids and literally had no choice about the indoctrination they got into into is (worsened by the fact that their parents brainwashed them in many other ways as well) -- I do think that people under age 35 or so are all much more prone to be sucked into this stuff without understanding what it is. 

They're not just a generation that grew up thinking the internet was inevitable and normal. They also grew up thinking social media, reality tv and the truly insane level of "celebrity culture' we've now reached are inevitable and normal.  

Our great grandparents would have -- correctly -- realized that cars routinely flying along at 80 miles an hour on the massively busy expressway are dangerous as hell. We don't even notice that level of speed hurtling along in heavy steel devices. 

Similarly, from my perspective of having another world to compare them to, the phenomena of social media, reality tv, the promotion of people with no distinction being treated as "celebrities" have a helluva lot of potential dangers for those who lose themselves in them. (and by that, I mean dangers to your mind, your soul, your emotions, your ability to think, your vision of yourself in the context of the world.....and also hitherto unknown stranger dangers, etc. etc. etc.) 

But when you come of age in a world that takes all these things for granted, you're much less likely to notice. Especially if you're the kind of not very savvy person who's at most danger of getting caught up in it. 

I think somebody of Jer's age and what I consider a general dimness of mind is very very likely to naively imagine he can manage all this stuff to his own advantage. So yeah, he wants to use it for his advantage -- but for a lot of people his age and younger that looks alarmingly similar to what we'd think of as using any job to their advantage. There've been a lot of studies that show how this stuff has been normalized for younger people to the point of looking like ordinary economic and professional behavior -- even though in many ways it's quite different. 

That being the case, I can't just dismiss him totally as some kind of low-grade criminal grifter! (Note the "totally." To some degree, I do dismiss him as that....)

But that's me. I know from experience that it's not healthy, for me personally, to just write people off, even if they're on reality tv. I know that doing that is a major danger to my mind, mood and spirit.

First and foremost, if I saw these people as all being simply one-dimensional caricatures to make fun of, I'd have absolutely no interest in thinking about or discussing them. If they're not three-dimensional people, I don't give a shit!

I'd be bored out of my mind if I spent any time at all thinking about people in those terms.  And I realize that puts me at odds with pretty much everybody who enjoys snark....But, as I've said, I don't like snark at all. 

For me, even people from reality tv are interesting only insofar as I can see them as multidimensional, potentially having both good and bad characteristics, with the potential to change for the better (or worse), and existing in our world and with the potential to help illuminate that world for me. 

Analyzing that is all that really interests me about the whole thing. I couldn't possibly view them as "fun celebs" and  gatheri some kind of vicarious thrills from their cute baby and their "adventures in Hollywood." I have no interest. But I also have no interest in just having people to snark on and on seeing these people as not fully real. That's contrary to just about everybody else who ever thinks about those people, I know.....But it's thinking about them as real people and as armchair sociological and psychological studies in a way from which all of my enjoyment -- such as it is -- comes! 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7
20 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

They changed Felicity's outfit (but not her bow) mid-food crawl?

They're influencers. Can't have a kid with tea stains on her shirt. 😱

15 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

Typical behavior by a pastor's wife in training!

As we've often said, neither of them ever seems terribly interested in that. 

Seriously, Jer. Try to get a job in marketing. It's your one true love. (to the extent that you're interested in any actual job at all, that is...)

5 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Jeremy’s shorts are super tight 😵😵😵

Too many food crawls?

Or maybe he thinks it's attractive....But, uh, not really....Just looks like middle-aged spread to me. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 1
  • Love 15

When I was thinking about studying ancient Greek the other day, what struck me was the major role that motivation played when it came to people sticking with courses like that when I was in school.

As we all know, pretty often, when a course turns out to include a hard slog through grunt work before you get to anything on the cooler side, people who aren't motivated by real interest (at least real interest in the goal of the thing, if not in the subject) often decide to tinker with their major or concentration to get out of the course.

But in Jer's seminary, all these language courses are required. (Although a growing number of seminaries are dropping those requirements.)

I can't imagine somebody who's not truly motivated sticking with it enough to succeed. Because without some real motivation you'd both feel overwhelmed and be bored to death. And those things usually make you learn things even slower than you would otherwise because you're fighting resistance the whole way.

The only alternative to slogging through it would seem to be dropping out.  But all I can figure is that they must be really really willing to dumb down the proficiency testing in these languages, for at least some people. Because I just can't see the Jers of the world really having the motivation to persist through all those Greek paradigms. 

And it's unlikely it would leave you time and energy to do all-day food crawls on top of golf dates with deans. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 14

My daughter is one month older than Felicity. It would be the 7th circle of hell to take her on a food crawl, or even a restaurant at this age( both her hell and mine). I wonder if felicity was happy the whole time, and how much time jinger spent just keeping her happy and distracted ( which is no fun for mommy)...

I love taking my daughter to play gyms and mommy and me classes. They are geared towards her age group, I can relax because she isn't disturbing anyone and gets age appropriate stimulation. I wonder if Jinger will bring Felicity to anything toddler friendly or will just insist on dragging her from coffee shop to coffee shop. Poor babe.

Edited by yogi2014L
  • Love 22

Jing is smokin' Jill in the extra-long hair game.  And I also think her shades look great.

Jing has got the locks smooth, blonded nicely and styled on point, whereas Jill just looks like she's got 20 pounds of shredded hemp draped over her skull.

Game, set and match to Mrs. Vuolo. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 12
56 minutes ago, Lunera said:

Screenshot_20190824-130938_Instagram-1080x1920.thumb.jpg.3dd934808e8a3bd08d909dd29957a2da.jpgScreenshot_20190824-130834_Instagram-1080x1920.thumb.jpg.ed4218f745ea4f6ddc495b3f8bbf2f5a.jpg

Screenshot_20190824-170425_Instagram-1080x1920.thumb.jpg.333b81eaf0d6675416cf8a029a1ed65a.jpgJinger and JerMe and some church friends are going around eating at different coffee shops and restaurants. Bet the food is all comped.

It better be comped because Jingle's 'pink drink" alone'll run you $7.20 plus tax. And that's if you don't actually want any tea in it. The pink drink with green tea (which it'd surprise me if caffeine lover Jingle didn't get) is $9.60 plus tax. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 3
2 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Jeremy better invest in a treadmill. Between the sugar-laden coffee drinks and oversized restaurant meals, he's starting to get Dad-bod. 

And if he genuinely is going to be studying at some point, that can add the weight, too. Between having to plant my ass at a desk for hours a day for grad school and no time for exercise during that time period (and stress eating), I gained 70-80 pounds in grad school. 

He won't be able to fit in all those fancy clothes he bought if it keeps up.

• LOL 6
  • Love 11

Discussing LA food prices, for back to school we went to a local sushi place.  Grandson ate over $30 of salmon in about 5 minutes.  That wasn't all he had for dinner.  The kid is only seven so we're all saving for his teen years.  I'm curious to see how long Jinjer can keep this up and if the restaurants apparently keep comping them or drop them if they find they aren't worth it.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, Zella said:

It's an amateur move on his part. As an experienced glutton, I could have warned him to wear your stretchiest pants/shorts when you're planning on spending the day stuffing yourself. LOL

Dead. 😂😂😂😂😂

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Zella said:

It's an amateur move on his part. As an experienced glutton, I could have warned him to wear your stretchiest pants/shorts when you're planning on spending the day stuffing yourself. LOL

I'm reminded of that episode of Friends, when Joey wore Phoebe's maternity pants to Thanksgiving.

• LOL 17
  • Love 2

Occurs to me it is all a big set up. Maybe they only went to two venues that were carefully chosen for photo ops and comps. That’s why he can wear his tight shorts and that’s why felicity has two outfits. One morning visit and one afternoon visit. 

And maybe when he says the social media apps aren’t on his phone but on his tablet. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4