Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I'll have to discuss the deva cut with my newly licensed cosmetologist niece. It sounds  very interesting . I agree Jinger would look much better with a shorter cut that would bring out her waves & curls. Also like someone said, shorter is much easier to take care of with a baby.  Don't know how the Duggar girls stand babies' hands grabbing & getting caught up in their long mops. It was bad enough when  my son was a baby & would grab and pull my shoulder length hair. 

I'm sure headship Jeremy does have a say in Jinge's hair.  Mr. Barb likes longer hair & I've worn mine shoulder length or longer for most of our married life mainly cuz I just like it that length & not just to please him.  I have had times when I needed a change & had it cut shorter.  Now I wear it shorter because it's easier for me to take care of & I'm one of those who think older women should wear their hair on shorter side. Hey, we all can't look as good as longer haired Cheryl Tiegs or Christie Brinkley at their ages. (Christie happens to be Mr Barb's other woman for as long as I've known him.) 

One of my favorite nurses at my therapy rehab ctr (who was 64) had long hair that went all the way down her back.  The color varied in different shades from light brown to gray, it was very dried out & she wore it either in a harshly pulled back pony or braid, which still got in her way.  All I could think of was this is how the Duggar & other Fundie women will end up looking like.  Back to my nurse, I kept picturing her with a nice short bob, much more attractive & easier to care for.

Count me in with the Deva crew! I use their products, and did find a place that does the cuts in my area. I will say, though, that there are various levels of Deva training, and the one who did my hair wasn't of the highest caliber...she did cut it dry, but more or less just cut it in one fell swoop rather than going by each individual curl. So, knowing what the technique was supposed to be, I figured I could do it myself. There are some decent tutorials on You Tube (this is the one I liked as my hair is approximately as curly as the hair  of the girl demonstrating it https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=Iwf0NejSuPY).  I've done my own cuts the last three times, and while I end up going back and snipping renegade bits I missed for a couple of days afterward, curly hair is really very forgiving and I think it comes out fine. I just cut it back from just below my shoulders to about jaw-length the other day. Maybe I'll be brave enough to post a picture if I can get a god one. Though my hair is kinda two-tone right now as I've been growing out the gray in honor of my impending grandmother-hood :)

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 9

The J'slaves (and Joy) would have no idea what to do with shorter hair. They are stubborn as hell about keeping the scraggly hair down to their hips. Now there's nothing wrong with super long hair but it's a matter of taking care and maintaining it. None of them have figured that part out.

I wonder how the TTH plumbing fared all those years with long hair going down the drain.

• Love 13
44 minutes ago, louannems said:

I have often wondered about the plumbing!

I have wondered about the vacuum cleaners.  At one point my husband and I both had waist long hair and I had to clean the roller brush once a week from all the hair wrapped around it and we have a tiny house.  I can't imagine a vacuum cleaner in TTH with all that hair

• Love 11
19 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

I have wondered about the vacuum cleaners.  At one point my husband and I both had waist long hair and I had to clean the roller brush once a week from all the hair wrapped around it and we have a tiny house.  I can't imagine a vacuum cleaner in TTH with all that hair

And that is supposing they ever even vacuum! 

• Love 22
1 hour ago, DragonFaerie said:

I have a couple of semi-long-hair cats and a Papillon dog. My vacuum brushes are always begging for mercy.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Love2dance said:

I seem to remember the TTH has a built in vacuum system. I bet @SEW SUMI knows. I wonder if that doesn’t make it much easier to just suck up the long hair. 

Yes, they built in a vacuum system. It was featured in one of the specials (maybe 16 Kids and Moving In?). That said, have we seen them use it since? Even when they totally rearranged furniture to make that stage for the tribute to Boobchelle - remember the dinner with the inedible steak? - I don't recall the vacuum system being used to clean under couches, or any sawdust that may have accumulated from when they constructed that stage indoors. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Yes, they built in a vacuum system. It was featured in one of the specials (maybe 16 Kids and Moving In?). That said, have we seen them use it since? Even when they totally rearranged furniture to make that stage for the tribute to Boobchelle - remember the dinner with the inedible steak? - I don't recall the vacuum system being used to clean under couches, or any sawdust that may have accumulated from when they constructed that stage indoors. 

I wonder if it still works? When we see the kids doing chores, they're sort of pushing a broom around a little bit, picking up garbage, and folding laundry. I think that the cleaning they do is pretty minimal.

In fact, don't think they do any maintenance on that house. They essentially got it for free -- other people paid for it, built it, and furnished it, and they seem to value and care for it to the degree that I would expect -- lazy, entitled people who expect others to do things for them.

I don't think we've seen a new stick of furniture, new curtains, or even a new throw pillow since they moved in. The girls' dorm was redone a couple of years ago, but it was an episode, so I would bet that TLC paid for the whole thing.

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

I don't think we've seen a new stick of furniture, new curtains, or even a new throw pillow since they moved in.

They did add that pink brocade faux Victorian armchair last year. Kind of nice on its own but didn't really match anything else in the house.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

I don't think we've seen a new stick of furniture, new curtains, or even a new throw pillow since they moved in. The girls' dorm was redone a couple of years ago, but it was an episode, so I would bet that TLC paid for the whole thing.

13 minutes ago, Vaysh said:

They did add that pink brocade faux Victorian armchair last year. Kind of nice on its own but didn't really match anything else in the house.

Didn't J'chelle do a recovering of the hair cutting stools to show Jill and Jessa how to do that in their homes on one show?

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Love2dance said:

I seem to remember the TTH has a built in vacuum system. I bet @SEW SUMI knows. I wonder if that doesn’t make it much easier to just suck up the long hair. 

I have a vague memory of somebody saying that they stopped using the built-in vacuum some time ago. .... That could be a hallucination on my part, though. 

Maybe the Duggar hair was too much for that even. 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I have a vague memory of somebody saying that they stopped using the built-in vacuum some time ago. .... That could be a hallucination on my part, though. 

Maybe the Duggar hair was too much for that even. 

Perhaps the idiots didn't know the outside canister needs to be emptied occasionally. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Vaysh said:

It was probably a freebie. 

What happened to all the furniture from the Dullard McMansion? I guess what hasn't been repurposed to another couple or house is in the storage shed. Were Jill & Der allowed to repossess items given to another sibling when they came back from Danger America? 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

I wonder if it still works? When we see the kids doing chores, they're sort of pushing a broom around a little bit, picking up garbage, and folding laundry. I think that the cleaning they do is pretty minimal.

In fact, don't think they do any maintenance on that house. They essentially got it for free -- other people paid for it, built it, and furnished it, and they seem to value and care for it to the degree that I would expect -- lazy, entitled people who expect others to do things for them.

TLC put in blinds for filming purposes. Before that, I don't think they had any window treatments! 

• Love 5

I remember Michelle saying they didn't use the central vac, because a regular vacuum was easier than lugging all the hoses and attachments to and from each access.

I'm fairly certain the Duggars are on at least their third set of couches though. Which makes sense because most furniture is not made to withstand the amount of traffic their furniture gets. They had floral couches in the beginning and a couple different brown sectionals and many different side chairs, if I'm remembering correctly.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I remember Michelle saying they didn't use the central vac, because a regular vacuum was easier than lugging all the hoses and attachments to and from each access.

I'm fairly certain the Duggars are on at least their third set of couches though. Which makes sense because most furniture is not made to withstand the amount of traffic their furniture gets. They had floral couches in the beginning and a couple different brown sectionals and many different side chairs, if I'm remembering correctly.

I can't actually say I blame her...Our current house came with central vac, but the big hose was so unwieldy and would take me SO long to wind back up and put away after using it (seriously...there were a few times I fought with the thing for over 20 minutes while it insisted on twisting the wrong way) that I gave up on it early on and just used a regular vacuum leaner. I know some people love central vac, and maybe I just didn't give myself enough of a chance to figure out the right techniques to deal with the hose, but it was just too frustrating for me.

*random unrelated note - I learned something from the red underlining alerting me of spelling errors...found out  that I've been incorrect all my life by saying and spelling "unwieldy" as "unwieldly". I hate when that happens. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Catfin said:

Husband added a central vac 18 years ago. I'm not a fan, as there is no specific place to store the #%^*%#<> hose. I can see the stupid thing in my peripheral vision most of the time. 

Ours has a rack to wind it around on the wall down our cellar stairs, so it's out of the way and handy to get to, I guess, but the darn thing just will not coil without fighting at every step, so it's been hanging there untouched for the past 5 years.

• Love 3

Well good to know re: the central vac system.  Our house came with the places to connect the hose but someone removed the actual system.  I had been thinking of getting one, but, will stick with my never fail Dyson.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Well good to know re: the central vac system.  Our house came with the places to connect the hose but someone removed the actual system.  I had been thinking of getting one, but, will stick with my never fail Dyson.  

I depends on your priorities, I guess... I know people who love them because they apparently really cut down on the amount of dust, etc, kicked up by a regular vacuum, but for me, and vacuuming is by far one of my least favorite chores, the sheer amount of wrangling involved with the central-vac hose makes it the loser by a pretty wide margin.

• Love 2
On 2/22/2018 at 5:12 PM, xwordfanatik said:

He looks like hell with no facial hair.  That gaping grin with his crooked teeth does him no favors, either.  

I agree. I do not like facial hair/beards on guys (a little stubble might be okay) 99.9% of the time. (I know others like it more, which is fine.) But even to me, who doesn't care for beards, Jeremy looks way more attractive with one than without one. I much prefer him with the beard. He's one of the very few people I can say that about.

• Love 18

I'm just blown away they hired someone to paint the house instead of waiting for StinkBusRUs to roll in...it's one thing to have amateurs shuffle your bookcase around....it's another having them slop paint on your baseboard and tile...good for them!

• Love 11
26 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

My attempt at a DIY Devacut. It's a bit shorter than I prefer it mostly because I'm trying to grow out my gray hair and thought it might look more as though it was a process I was going through vs. just not having gotten around to dyeing my hair for too long if the balance between one color and the other was a bit closer...It doesn't photograph well (plus I'm horribly un-photogenic!), and the curls will hang together a bit better once it grows out a little more, but it's actually reasonably cute in real life...

.0228181159c.thumb.jpg.eb522023091f051f57034c2356c1f1f4.jpg

Wow, I would give anything to be able to cut my own hair (or anyone else’s for that matter) that well. That is a really cute cut!

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, EVS said:

Wow, I would give anything to be able to cut my own hair (or anyone else’s for that matter) that well. That is a really cute cut!

Curly hair is so forgiving..I couldn't cut straight hair to save my life...with this, you just take each curl and cut it at a spot in the crook of the curl such that it curves toward your face rather than winging out at roughly the length you want it. It all sort of hangs together once it's done. Only takes about 10 minutes, plus a snip here and there over the next few days if you see any that are too long, but it's all pretty unstructured. Tried to do this pic as a video clip which shows it much better, but can't figure out how to transfer it from my phone.

Here's another angle...

28276932_10156010968007778_7502543497430952234_n.thumb.jpg.e1930984c9706303f0ac2f0e99c4480c.jpg

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 10
17 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Curly hair is so forgiving..I couldn't cut straight hair to save my life...with this, you just take each curl and cut it at a spot in the crook of the curl such that it curves toward your face rather than winging out at roughly the length you want it. It all sort of hangs together once it's done. Only takes about 10 minutes, plus a snip here and there over the next few days if you see any that are too long, but it's all pretty unstructured. Tried to do this pic as a video clip which shows it much better, but can't figure out how to transfer it from my phone.

It sounds easy when you describe it, but it would be a disaster for me if I tried it. I know my limitations, lol. Plus, I have a TON of hair. It would take me hours and end up looking like Josie (Duggar not Bates) cut it. ?

Regarding Jinger though, no matter how she cuts it, she needs to lose several inches of fried ends and Jeremy needs the facial stubble back. Without it, and with the way he is dressed in the picture upthread, he looks like the lost Brady Bunch brother!

Edited by EVS
  • Love 6
On February 25, 2018 at 12:13 PM, Jynnan tonnix said:

I depends on your priorities, I guess... I know people who love them because they apparently really cut down on the amount of dust, etc, kicked up by a regular vacuum, but for me, and vacuuming is by far one of my least favorite chores, the sheer amount of wrangling involved with the central-vac hose makes it the loser by a pretty wide margin.

Everyone I've known that either put in a central vac or bought a house that had one has hated it due to the amount of work dragging the hose around, moving it, etc.  And then when they act up, they, at least to my friends, suck to try and get repaired.  My headship got me a robot vacuum for Yule this year and I LOVE it.  I just have to remember to take up the bath mat and let that sucker go.  But alas, I have yet to get any of the cats to ride it yet.

• Love 15
On February 26, 2018 at 9:15 PM, asuwur said:

I'm just blown away they hired someone to paint the house instead of waiting for StinkBusRUs to roll in...it's one thing to have amateurs shuffle your bookcase around....it's another having them slop paint on your baseboard and tile...good for them!

I can see Jeremy's thought process.  We could paint the house ourselves.  It would take awhile but it would be nice for it to be done BEFORE we move stuff in, and then Jinger saying, Oh hey, my family is gonna come and help us move babe.  And Jeremy gets a daydream of the Duggar Howlers throwing paint on the walls and drips on the floor, the windows, etc.  He shakes his head.  Nope my love, I'll take care of it and hire us a painter.

• Love 16
49 minutes ago, louannems said:

Jynnan... Now we know who has The Mustard Wall!

I love your curly hair.

Haha! It's a door, and it's sort of a medium oak color in real life. Not my favorite thing, but we haven't done a whole lot of renovation upstairs yet. I know painted woodwork is pretty polarizing, and this is actually nice if you like that kind of thing, but I really love white trim/woodwork. The house is basically a country cape, which totally does not go with our decor, but we're chipping away at the country vibe little by little. Sometimes you have to buy a house for the space/land/location and worry about the interior when you can.

Sorry...that was a bit of a novel in response to a lighthearted quip. Thanks for the compliment on the hair :)

• Love 6
21 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

My attempt at a DIY Devacut. It's a bit shorter than I prefer it mostly because I'm trying to grow out my gray hair and thought it might look more as though it was a process I was going through vs. just not having gotten around to dyeing my hair for too long if the balance between one color and the other was a bit closer...It doesn't photograph well (plus I'm horribly un-photogenic!), and the curls will hang together a bit better once it grows out a little more, but it's actually reasonably cute in real life...

.0228181159c.thumb.jpg.eb522023091f051f57034c2356c1f1f4.jpg

It looks really good, actually.

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, questionfear said:

Stuff like that is one of the reasons I think Jeremy legitimately did marry for love, not just to be on TeeVee. Otherwise he'd LOVE to be the center of a storyline involving the entire duggar clan coming and painting. But he seems to want to keep them at arms length. He likes the paycheck and the exposure but doesn't seem to want the rest of the family, just Jinger. And I'm willing to bet Jinger feels the same way, based on how much time she spends with his family.

Jinger is the new Alyssa Bates. 

• Love 18

It must be refreshing yet odd for Jinger to be treated as an actual person by her in-laws, rather than as just one of many by her own parents. Imagine Chuck or Dianna Vuolo calling her by her name and being genuinely interested in Jinger as a person, rather than "Hey, you, J-kid, whoever you are, change that diaper" or whatever acknowledgement she got from Jim Bob and Mullet. 

• Love 17
57 minutes ago, questionfear said:

Stuff like that is one of the reasons I think Jeremy legitimately did marry for love, not just to be on TeeVee. Otherwise he'd LOVE to be the center of a storyline involving the entire duggar clan coming and painting. But he seems to want to keep them at arms length. He likes the paycheck and the exposure but doesn't seem to want the rest of the family, just Jinger. And I'm willing to bet Jinger feels the same way, based on how much time she spends with his family.

Are we sure Jinger is not spending too much time with her family because she wants to or is it Jeremy the real reason why she is doing so. He wanted a wife who would think he is the best thing to come along since sliced bread and would do want he wanted to.

I wonder if Jinger is not feeling a little conflicted. 

On one hand, she knows her family is a bit wacko.  On the other hand, these are her people!   Then there is Jeremy and what he wants weighs heavy.  Jinger probably tries to keep everyone happy.  I hope SHE is happy.  I do think overall, Jinger is happy.  But there has to be a lot going on in her heart some days. 

• Love 12
23 hours ago, Heathen said:

It must be refreshing yet odd for Jinger to be treated as an actual person by her in-laws, rather than as just one of many by her own parents. Imagine Chuck or Dianna Vuolo calling her by her name and being genuinely interested in Jinger as a person, rather than "Hey, you, J-kid, whoever you are, change that diaper" or whatever acknowledgement she got from Jim Bob and Mullet. 

If this is the case, I hope Jinger bears this in mind when deciding whether or not it's a great idea to birth 10 million babies or not.  If she truly admires the time spent with her in-laws, she needs to consider the number of children her in-laws have and learn from that.

• Love 7