Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

Jinger seems to be living more of life than Jessa. Jessa isolates herself between her house and the TTH. Granted she has 2 kids under 2. I wonder if Jinger would be hanging on too and hanging out with her family if she stayed in NWA or if she'd be pulling away?

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Lunera said:

Jinger at a friend's wedding 

Did Jinge get Jana to hem her wedding dress for her? (Other than the fact that the dress looks white, and may not be, and she's wearing it to someone's wedding, she looks very cute.)

Is that a Jboy??? Or Blake Lewis from Season 6 of American idol? 

• Love 1
Just now, drafan said:

Did Jinge get Jana to hem her wedding dress for her? (Other than the fact that the dress looks white, and may not be, and she's wearing it to someone's wedding, she looks very cute.)

Is that a Jboy??? Or Blake Lewis from Season 6 of American idol? 

Jinger was a bridesmaid at the wedding, the others wore essentially the same dress in different colors. Jinger's dress looks pale blue/aqua in the video.  Since she was part of the bridal party, the bride must've been ok with the color.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, JoanArc said:

I see Josh in his face (with weight loss).

Josh, Jed and Hannie look like triplets. 

31 minutes ago, trimthatfat said:

I don't think Jeremy is isolating Jinger at all.

I don't think he is either. Jinger looks like she's genuinely loving life right now, and that would be hard to fake if her husband was keeping her from friends and family. They've been back to Arkansas several times and also out to Philly to visit Jeremy's family. I think Jeremy's biggest concern was Michelle using them as a dumping ground for all the Littles. JD has a ten-seat plane now, perfect to load up with a bunch of kids and fly them down to Texas. I think he's fine with visits from Jessa and Bin, though.

• Love 17
5 minutes ago, lulu69 said:

I love babies and all but I've never been so happy for someone not to be pregnant.

Go Jinger....Go Jinger.....

I was JUST going to say the same thing! I am ridiculously happy that she is not pregnant!

• Love 4
On 8/11/2017 at 11:42 PM, OpieTaylor said:

It's notable that no photos or blogs or other information has been released of Jinge doing anything to serve Babe's church - no pastor's wife activities/duties. We've seen her doing a little cooking for just themselves, some laundry, shopping, watching Babe do things, "dating" Babe, and traveling of course. You'd think it would be good for the Vuolo brand to show her, or talk about her, serving her husband's church and community. 

I am in no way fundy but I am a pastor's wife.  It makes me happy that we haven't only seen Jinger in that "role".  Her lack of interest in highlighting those duties makes me think she married Jeremy for himself, not his career.  It's a very good thing, especially as I'm not sure he will last in full time ministry.

There are women who stalk seminarians to marry in order to be the pastor's wife.   It seems to have some cache amongst the fundy set but I've never understood that mentality.  It's not lucrative, your husband is away weekends and holidays, and if he has any integrity you really don't know the good gossip anyway!  If these women wanted to do the real ministry, they could go to seminary themselves, but of course, that will never happen.  

• Love 19

I can only speak from my limited experience, but I think generally pastor's wives are given far more freedom these days to decide for themselves what "serving the church" will mean for them.  I think there's always the expectation that the pastor's wife will be involved in ministry of some sort, but not necessarily to any greater degree than other members of the church. I know tons of pastor's wives who work, so certainly the days are gone when one is expected to be running Bible studies and rummage sales every day of the week. I would also hope that most church members would appreciate the logic of the pastor's wife serving according to her spiritual gifts and talents, not according to some cookie-cutter notion of what she should do. The Bible says to serve according to your gifts; it doesn't say "run the nursery program or teach a women's mission group because that's what the pastor's wife has always done."

So anyway, I'm hopeful that Jinger feels free to do as she feels led. I know this is going to skeeve some people out, but I think her primary "ministry" is to be Jeremy's wife, and beyond that, what she does for the church is between her and God.

Someone upthread mentioned that most Baptists go to church three times a week.  That's still true for more traditional congregations, but a lot of churches these days have abandoned the Sunday night service in favor of small group meetings in people's homes.  I still don't know how Jeremy is able to travel so much, though.  I would expect someone so new to his position to be allowed only one or maybe two Sundays a year out of the pulpit. And I also don't think it speaks terribly well of a pastor's dedication to his flock, his community, and his responsibility if he's taking off all the time.

• Love 9

The fact that we haven't seen or heard of Jinger doing anything even remotely Pastor-wifely is very encouraging to me.  We don't see her being shoved into a fundie box of spousal obligation or paraded in front of some congregation like a prize calf at the 4H show.  

Maybe she actually gets to spend her time shopping online, reading previously forbidden style mags, trying recipes to tempt Baaaaabe and checking out daytime TV.  It's possible he doesn't necessarily want her fully involved in his job, so she can do normal stuff.  We just have no way of knowing for sure.    

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, Bewitched said:

I am in no way fundy but I am a pastor's wife.  It makes me happy that we haven't only seen Jinger in that "role".  Her lack of interest in highlighting those duties makes me think she married Jeremy for himself, not his career.  It's a very good thing, especially as I'm not sure he will last in full time ministry.

There are women who stalk seminarians to marry in order to be the pastor's wife.   It seems to have some cache amongst the fundy set but I've never understood that mentality.  It's not lucrative, your husband is away weekends and holidays, and if he has any integrity you really don't know the good gossip anyway!  If these women wanted to do the real ministry, they could go to seminary themselves, but of course, that will never happen.  

Thank you for sharing your view point. I think the official role of "pastor's wife" was attractive to women in a previous era where women were not ALLOWED to join seminary or minister, so if you had a calling your best bet was being married to a pastor. 

In the 21st century, even among conservatives (not fundies) many pastors' wives have careers and interests of their own hence they don't serve the church in any capacity. Given that Jinger doesn't work (yes being a SAHM is work, but they don't have any children yet), I do wonder what she does all day if she has no duties related to Jeremy's congregation. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Bewitched said:

Thank you for your insight @bewitched!   I have never understood the allure of being pastor's wife (once i was out of my teens, that is).

2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

What has Jeremy done?

THANK YOU!!!!   I just spit wine out as I read this ??

Edited by tabloidlover
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Thank you for sharing your view point. I think the official role of "pastor's wife" was attractive to women in a previous era where women were not ALLOWED to join seminary or minister, so if you had a calling your best bet was being married to a pastor. 

In most Calvinist denominations today, women still can't be ordained.  Liberty University refuses to allow women to major in pastoral leadership.  That's a rant for another day   

I have been lucky in that our congregations have had no expectations on my role (with a few exceptions). When asked by younger spouses for advice, I tell them to do only what truly interests them and your only responsibility is to support your spouse (which should be no different than any other marriage).  It's worked well for us for the last 21 years.  

• Love 2

Someone asked about Jeremy baptizing anyone and there is one youtube video of a baptism he did after he and Jinger were married.  Plus all his sermons are on youtube.  He has done some Bible studies on FB live.  That isn't to say he's doing everything people here might expect, but he shouldn't post videos of baptisms unless the participants agree.  He has about 1000 times the internet presence of our local priest so it's hard for me to judge anyone's level of church involvement from the internet.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

Regarding the quote about Jeremy wanting a meek wife, I just wanted to point out something I haven't already seen discussed here. The term "meek" has a very specific biblical meaning that is different from the secular meaning most people associate with the term. It means being humble and completely subservient to God, not to your fellow man. Many modern Christian sources point out the difference and explain that being "meek" in a biblical sense does not mean being a doormat, even to one's spouse.

It's possible Jeremy was using the term in its secular sense, but based on the overall tone of his statement I think it's more likely he meant it in the biblical sense. I'm sure he does have some antiquated notions of gender roles, but I haven't seen anything that makes me believe he is abusive or tyrannical or even particularly controlling. Jinger seems to have much more freedom now than she ever did at home. She looks happy enough to me. I wouldn't want to marry Jeremy, but compared to a child molester, creepy-looking wannabe missionary, or unemployed teenager? I think she got pretty lucky. 

Maybe he's waiting for Jinger to suggest her own path as a pastors' wife?  Stranger things have happened 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

What has Jinger done for the ministry so far? Anything at all?

I don't see anything Jeremy has done for his ministry but taking the TLC paychecks for engagement trip,  honeymoon, trotting Jinger around in less unfashionable clothing & taking B/W pictures of her so he can try to look like a he's a fundy version of Andy Warhol.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

What am I missing here?

Jinger is wearing pants, a retro Nike t-shirt (possibly a snarky shoutout to the girls being forced to cover the TV and shout Nike! so the boys would look at their shoes whenever anything scandalous, like a woman in pants, was shown), and basketball shoes. No more flip flops for this girl! 

Edited by mynextmistake
  • Love 7

Everything I know about small-town pastors and what they do I learned from you guys and historical novels, tbh, so...how much do pastors actually do in these modern times where even the smallest towns have access to the outside world unless they're either extremely poor or extremely Duggar?  Do people these days really seek out their pastors much outside of church services and bible study?

6 minutes ago, mynextmistake said:

Jinger is wearing pants, a retro Nike t-shirt (possibly a snarky shoutout to the girls being forced to cover the TV and shout Nike! so the boys would look at their shoes whenever anything scandalous, like a woman in pants, was shown), and basketball shoes. No more flip flops for this girl! 

Never mind - I just got the answer to my question:

that's awesome! but where did you see the photo with the Nike tshirt? (the Nike thing is beyond awesome!)

Edited by OpieTaylor
14 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

What am I missing here?

Those are Air Jordan shoes, which were popular 20+ years ago and are back again, hence, the retro tag.  Nike is bringing back some of the old styles.  They cost $150+ a pair brand new and I doubt they found them in a thrift shop.

3 minutes ago, OpieTaylor said:

Never mind - I just got the answer to my question:

that's awesome! but where did you see the photo with the Nike tshirt? (the Nike thing is beyond awesome!)

Click on the small arrow on the right side of the picture and it will show the next shot of Jinger in the Nike tee, wearing the shoes.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Everything I know about small-town pastors and what they do I learned from you guys and historical novels, tbh, so...how much do pastors actually do in these modern times where even the smallest towns have access to the outside world unless they're either extremely poor or extremely Duggar?  Do people these days really seek out their pastors much outside of church services and bible study?

Used to be ministers gave counseling (grief, marital, family, etc.) but nowadays I think some are too afraid of being sued, so this may be falling by the wayside.

• Love 1

Wow she's dresses like a middle school kid but she looks cute. Jeremy is a sporty guy and from his outfits I can tell he loves name brand stuff, it's cool of him to entroduce Jinger to name brands and clothes that are not thrifted. I just wish her jeans were more fitted.

Edited by Lunera
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, Annb67 said:

Ben just whined to Jessa."Jinger just got Jordan's. I want Jordan's too. It's so unfair!" Lol. You go Jinj...

I think Bin would have no problem with Jessa wearing sporty pants and shorts, since he's sporty himself. So I conclude that it's Jessa that's choosing to stick with the dresses/skirts only. Which makes Jinge seem even more of a rebel. I'm curious to see if Joy moves into pants.

(AnnB67, so you don't think I'm completely dense, I got your joke - that Bin wishes he could have Jordans! I'm sure you're right!)

Edited by OpieTaylor
  • Love 3

That is an unfortunate outfit, imo.

But at least she's pushing boundaries and wearing new clothes that are hers alone and have some sort of cultural value (with the brand names and endorsements) instead of secondhand outdated things. A step in the right direction even if it's not anything I would ever wear.

• Love 8

I think that picture is a blatant, "Look how 'normal' Jinger looks now! I did that because I'm such a cool influence!" Which I think most of their pictures have been for a while, but this one is pretty obvious.  All that's missing is a donate button. 

• Love 8