Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

Thanks, didn't notice them. But I can't imagine working out in a turtleneck either.  Maybe if you are biking in 60° weather a turtleneck would be OK  but doing a workout in one that's all up around my neck, just No. 

It's a wicking fabric.  So it doesn't matter the temp or how much you sweat.  

Though I'm sure he is only thinking he looks good with his child/prop.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

If they took the photo yesterday it was in the 50s when we woke up 20 to 30 minutes from the Vuolos probably live.

41 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

It's a wicking fabric.  So it doesn't matter the temp or how much you sweat.  

Though I'm sure he is only thinking he looks good with his child/prop.

I can't stand turtlenecks no matter the temp or type of fabric.  It's just me. I don't like the closed up feeling around my neck. I get antsy just thinking about a loose cowl neck top. Lol. 

I  was just snarking on the contrast of clothing between  Rev. Fancypants & Felicity. I'm old, so turtlenecks mean winter clothing to me. 

ETA:  At least this picture is better posed.  Sure beats Jill's picture of sam with his droopy drawers. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, allonsyalice said:

Jinger 100% edits these photos to make Felicity’s eyes seem blue  

I don't doubt you, but why would she do that?  Baaaaabe's eyes are brown (or hazel?), and he is God's gift to women and babies, isn't he?  

Never mind, let's just say he's God's gift to humanity.  😜

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

I don't doubt you, but why would she do that?  Baaaaabe's eyes are brown (or hazel?), and he is God's gift to women and babies, isn't he?  

Never mind, let's just say he's God's gift to humanity.  😜

He's like Jim Jones. Has to be all things to all people. 😂🤣😂

Actually, I take that back. Jones was at least a good speaker. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

New pic of Jinger looking like she is about to bite a donut. I rather see the video of her eating the damn donut with a coffee. I know she didn’t eat it. 

Nope, she only gets to pose with the donut, not eat it.😢

• Love 7
On 8/21/2019 at 2:31 PM, QuinnInND said:

Wonder if Jeremy is reading here. There have been comments about the challenging course of study that he doesn't seem to have time to be doing. Boom. Photo of the title page of Ancient Greek for Dummies. (no offense to the author of the book or to anyone who reads ancient Greek)

• Love 6

Taking a few social outing photos per week doesn't mean studying doesn't get done.  Unlike other Duggers & adjacents we've seen, Jeremy may not need much sleep and has plenty of time for the required studying. 

Since my teen years, I've only needed about 5-6 hours per night to function very well.  And I'm a morning person who is up at 5 almost every day, weekends included. 

18 holes of golf on a Friday morning usually takes about 4 hours or so, with a traditional foursome.  And with a 7am Tee time, which is my husband's preferred slot, he's home well before lunchtime.  So that hobby isn't necessarily sucking up much time and isn't necessarily new.  Jeremy may have been playing since college, just didn't have folks in Laredo to play with.   

Their variety of activities, locations and associations are SO much more interesting to me to see than anybody they're related to.  But hey, some may prefer looking at photos of Jessa's nasty house and Jill's disgusting food.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 15

When I was in grad school I took one evening off a week. Other than that it was class, lab, studying, eating while studying and sleeping. Oh and I went to the gym for one hour twice a week. That’s it.

This “master’s course” he’s taking must be utter cake.

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

When I was in grad school I took one evening off a week. Other than that it was class, lab, studying, eating while studying and sleeping. Oh and I went to the gym for one hour twice a week. That’s it.

This “master’s course” he’s taking must be utter cake.

Well, it won't be if he really has to learn to read New Testament Greek and Hebrew. And that's not something you can leave till the end of the semester and then whip out one great paper with two all-nighters as many people do.  

As we know, language study doesn't work that way. And these are both languages that are a little different from the ones we're all most used to.

So if the school actually means it when they require them to learn these, that'll be a lot of work -- just as a basis. .And they take 10 courses in language, so that means some semesters you'd be taking two language courses.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
44 minutes ago, leighdear said:

Taking a few social outing photos per week doesn't mean studying doesn't get done.  Unlike other Duggers & adjacents we've seen, Jeremy may not need much sleep and has plenty of time for the required studying. 

Since my teen years, I've only needed about 5-6 hours per night to function very well.  And I'm a morning person who is up at 5 almost every day, weekends included. 

18 holes of golf on a Friday morning usually takes about 4 hours or so, with a traditional foursome.  And with a 7am Tee time, which is my husband's preferred slot, he's home well before lunchtime.  So that hobby isn't necessarily sucking up much time and isn't necessarily new.  Jeremy may have been playing since college, just didn't have folks in Laredo to play with.   

Their variety of activities, locations and associations are SO much more interesting to me to see than anybody they're related to.  But hey, some may prefer looking at photos of Jessa's nasty house and Jill's disgusting food.  

You can only golf as fast as the foursome in front of you.  JerJer's swing was that of a novice sucking up to his superior.

• LOL 5
  • Love 8

I looked the book up, less than 300 pages. It has 17 lessons. Not sure how someone can learn this in 17 lessons.

Fun fact: 

Author Bio

David Alan Black is professor of New Testament and Greek at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary in Wake Forest, North Carolina. An avid horseman, he and his wife live on a 123-acre working farm in southern Virginia and are self-supporting missionaries to Mecklenburg County, Virginia, and Ethiopia.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, leighdear said:

Thinking Jeremy's most likely a vain delusional ignoramus doesn't in the least stop me from thinking Jessa and Jill are vain delusional ignoramuses too!

• LOL 7
  • Love 13
49 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm guessing its not, but does anyone else think the book looks like a book for a 10 year?

In my experience,  most language books look like textbooks for kids, but the material is a lot harder.  For a language like ancient Greek, its going to look like a primer because it is.  Jeremy has to learn a whole new alphabet. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I looked the book up, less than 300 pages. It has 17 lessons. Not sure how someone can learn this in 17 lessons.

Fun fact: 

Author Bio

David Alan Black is professor of New Testament and Greek at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary in Wake Forest, North Carolina. An avid horseman, he and his wife live on a 123-acre working farm in southern Virginia and are self-supporting missionaries to Mecklenburg County, Virginia, and Ethiopia.

The book seems to be sold as the intro book -- The publisher says it's supposed "to prepare them to read and understand the original Greek text of the New Testament."

I expect they're assuming that these divinity students mostly aren't people who've done a lot of in-depth study of languages and grammar and the like, so they need a very clear, straightforward explanation of the various kinds of words and kinds of grammar rules New Testament Greek employs......And a Greek book that doesn't mess with things you don't need to focus on unless you wanted to read some other literature in Greek. That's why you'd have a book especially written for divinity students.

And this book gets reviewed by a lot of people as one that gives a clear and simple explanation that still gets you there. It's written so that people who aren't language scholars and don't have ambitions to read Aristophanes or Plato or whatever can nevertheless learn how the language works and start trying to read biblical Greek. 

This is likely their first-year book or even just the first-semester book -- and then after that you'd go on to read texts and learn more vocabulary and really experience how the grammar works in practice and how you use it to determine meaning.  (Those are the three or four other Greek courses he'll have to take after this one.)

Here are the chapters/lessons. And they do lay out the whole basic structure of the language. I studied ancient Greek in college. And while reading Homer or Sophocles or whatever is a lot harder than reading the newer Greek of the New Testament, to get through the full outline of the grammar that's in this book so that it was useful to you, you'd have to memorize and conceptually grasp a lot of stuff. And a lot of American divinity students aren't going to have the first idea of what a "declension" or the "optative mood" is when they start. 

Depending on how they test them, this is a lot of work. And then they have to move on to actual texts......Of course, maybe over the years  you might figure it's not worth testing them on any of the hard stuff! Hard to tell. it would still look good on the resume. 

I expect they do want them to learn it, however. And then they have to go on to learn some Hebrew as well. It's work. 

Contents

About This Book

From Author to Reader

Preface to Expanded Edition

Preface to Third Edition

1. The Letters and Sounds of Greek

2. The Greek Verb System

3. Present and Future Active Indicative

4. Nouns of theSecond Declension

5. Nouns of the First Declension

6. Adjectives of the First and Second Declensions

7. Imperfect and Aorist Active Indicative

8. Additional Prepositions

9. Personal Pronouns

10. Perfect and Pluperfect Active Indicative

11. Demonstrative Pronouns

12. Present Middle and Passive Indicative

13. Perfect Middle and Passive, Future Middle Indicative

14. Imperfect Middle and Passive, Aorist Middle, and Pluperfect Middle and Passive Indicative

15. Aorist and Future Passive Indicative

16. Review of the Indicative Mood

17. Nouns of the Third Declension

18. Adjectives, Pronouns, and Numerals of the First and Third Declensions

19. Contract and Liquid Verbs

20. Participles (Verbal Adjectives)

21. Infinitives (Verbal Nouns)

22. Additional Pronouns

23. The Subjunctive Mood

24. The Imperative and Optative Moods

25. The Conjugation of -μι Verbs

26. Reading Your Greek New Testament

Epilogue: The Next Step

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 10
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

The book seems to be sold as the intro book -- The publisher says it's supposed "to prepare them to read and understand the original Greek text of the New Testament."

I expect they're assuming that these divinity students mostly aren't people who've done a lot of in-depth study of languages and grammar and the like, so they need a very clear, straightforward explanation of the various kinds of words and kinds of grammar rules New Testament Greek employs......And a Greek book that doesn't mess with things you don't need to focus on unless you wanted to read some other literature in Greek. That's why you'd have a book especially written for divinity students.

And this book gets reviewed by a lot of people as one that gives a clear and simple explanation that still gets you there. It's written so that people who aren't language scholars and don't have ambitions to read Aristophanes or Plato or whatever can nevertheless learn how the language works and start trying to read biblical Greek. 

This is likely their first-year book or even just the first-semester book -- and then after that you'd go on to read texts and learn more vocabulary and really experience how the grammar works in practice and how you use it to determine meaning.  (Those are the three or four other Greek courses he'll have to take after this one.)

Here are the chapters/lessons. And they do lay out the whole basic structure of the language. I studied ancient Greek in college. And while reading Homer or Sophocles or whatever is a lot harder than reading the newer Greek of the New Testament, to get through the full outline of the grammar that's in this book so that it was useful to you, you'd have to memorize and conceptually grasp a lot of stuff. And a lot of American divinity students aren't going to have the first idea of what a "declension" or the "optative mood" is when they start. 

Depending on how they test them, this is a lot of work. And then they have to move on to actual texts......Of course, maybe over the years  you might figure it's not worth testing them on any of the hard stuff! Hard to tell. it would still look good on the resume. 

I expect they do want them to learn it, however. And then they have to go on to learn some Hebrew as well. It's work. 

Contents

About This Book

From Author to Reader

Preface to Expanded Edition

Preface to Third Edition

1. The Letters and Sounds of Greek

2. The Greek Verb System

3. Present and Future Active Indicative

4. Nouns of theSecond Declension

5. Nouns of the First Declension

6. Adjectives of the First and Second Declensions

7. Imperfect and Aorist Active Indicative

8. Additional Prepositions

9. Personal Pronouns

10. Perfect and Pluperfect Active Indicative

11. Demonstrative Pronouns

12. Present Middle and Passive Indicative

13. Perfect Middle and Passive, Future Middle Indicative

14. Imperfect Middle and Passive, Aorist Middle, and Pluperfect Middle and Passive Indicative

15. Aorist and Future Passive Indicative

16. Review of the Indicative Mood

17. Nouns of the Third Declension

18. Adjectives, Pronouns, and Numerals of the First and Third Declensions

19. Contract and Liquid Verbs

20. Participles (Verbal Adjectives)

21. Infinitives (Verbal Nouns)

22. Additional Pronouns

23. The Subjunctive Mood

24. The Imperative and Optative Moods

25. The Conjugation of -μι Verbs

26. Reading Your Greek New Testament

Epilogue: The Next Step

Number 25.....🤔

• LOL 3
38 minutes ago, Madtown said:

3 pictures

Do the Vuolos ever mention a product of any kind, without some benefit to themselves?

ETA:  this looks like a Fisher-Price plastic set from the 80's.  I suspect this newer version is a few times more expensive.

Edited by xwordfanatik
added a comment.
  • Love 6
23 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Do the Vuolos ever mention a product of any kind, without some benefit to themselves?

ETA:  this looks like a Fisher-Price plastic set from the 80's.  I suspect this newer version is a few times more expensive.

Its probably a Melissa and Doug product.  They seem to have either gotten the patents for many toys from the 60s-80s or figured out how to copy them legally.  I don't see them needing to use influencers to sell their products.   They sell in independent toy stores,  target, TJ Maxx, etc.  

• Love 6

Didn’t JerME play soccer in another country? Which one/s? Perhaps he learned to speak that language? and any chance he speaks Italian? All this to say that maybe he already has some knowledge of a language similar to Greek? Is it a Latin-based language?

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, OpieTaylor said:

Didn’t JerME play soccer in another country? Which one/s? Perhaps he learned to speak that language? and any chance he speaks Italian? All this to say that maybe he already has some knowledge of a language similar to Greek? Is it a Latin-based language?

Our pastors need background in Aramaic and Greek.  Finnish not so much!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Lunera said:

JerMe started following this celebrity dentist. Maybe he's hoping for some free dental work.

Screenshot_20190822-190944.thumb.jpg.63b4274324c672d9b098749e8f38600a.jpg

I read anal rapist instead of Anjali Rajpal. Hanging out too much in the Fellowship thread, I guess.

• LOL 14
7 minutes ago, Lunera said:

JerMe started following this celebrity dentist. Maybe he's hoping for some free dental work.

Screenshot_20190822-190944.thumb.jpg.63b4274324c672d9b098749e8f38600a.jpg

Wonder if she is related to the person who did Jon Gosselin's hair plugs?  TLC works wonders for their chosen few.  Though JerJer should realize he is not the draw.

To quote the Bible and Battlestar Gallactica .....What has happened before will happen again.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

Jeremy THINKS he (and family) are the draw now. I mean, come ON!!!! LA life!!!!! 

Ball's in TLC's court. Fool me once, shame on me. You know the rest. I don't think TLC will pay for Jeremy's veneers.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10
10 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

He played soccer in Finland for about a year. I assume he learned some Finnish in that amount of time! Of course, that would have been spoken Finnish, most likely, and learning a language just to speak it is pretty different from learning a language just to read it. And Finnish is a pretty unique language as well. 

I doubt he knows much Italian since I think they said there's only one grandparent with much Italian heritage .... and that person named his son Charles -- so it's not like they seemed to be reveling in their Italian heritage. 

English uses a lot of words derived from Greek, so he'll certainly recognize all of those. But then English gets a lot of words from a lot of languages...

The thing about ancient Greek is that it's a highly highly inflected language. So you really need to have a strong command of all the endings used for not just verb tenses but verb moods, for example, and all the other functions of words  in a sentence.

I expect whether Jer has a head start on any of that depends on Diana. If her homeschool included making sure her kids were firmly grounded in grammar stuff like sentence diagramming and the subjunctive mood and such, or if she taught them another highly inflected language, like Latin or Spanish, then he'll probably have a better grounding than many of the others, since even many people who are taught that stuff in school don't actually seem to get it or, at least, remember it!

That's one of the things about learning a language to translate and interpret rather than to speak, too. When you speak a foreign language that's highly inflected, you can get laughed at a lot if you haven't got your verb endings or your noun-case endings just right but you can also still kind of get your meaning across. 

But when you're learning a language with the goal of correctly translating and interpreting a highly disputed and controversial text like the Bible, then you absolutely must recognize all the verb and noun forms and the uses of the particles and so on -- and you have to get them right. Because most of the interpretation lies in that stuff.

The actual word meanings you can just look up, really. But to get what a sentence means, you need to scrutinize the exact tense and mood and noun case and all that. And it's the sentence meanings that are the whole reason why they're teaching them Hebrew and Greek. They want them to be able to pick out nuances and to determine which Bible translators got it right and which didn't and such.

(Possibly a silly project, but that is why they do it -- The idea that an individual pastor with five semesters of Greek and five of Hebrew under his belt is going to be smarter about which translation is actually true to God's words than the panels of theologians, linguists, historians, archaeologists, poets, scholars, etc., who collaborated on the various translations seems pretty ridiculous to me, actually.

But I expect these guys, at least, base their confidence in their seminary graduates on the idea that -- unlike many of the translators, who were likely tainted by bad theology and insufficient faith -- they will be inspired by God himself to land on the right interpretation if they can read the language at a basic-competency level.... I'm not joking there. The pastor in the pulpit is supposed to be inspired directly by God at all times, in their theology. And that wouldn't be true of Bible translators who don't share their theology, in their view.)

On the grammar level, it's s not that it's intellectually all that difficult to thread through the sentence details, really.

But it is work. You definitely have to keep many many details about the language in your head to do it. Tons and tons of memorization ahead no matter what prior preparation in other languages these guys have had. 

It's grunt work -- and a lot of it -- before you ever get to the point that you can supposedly interpret the texts. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 10
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

A dentist with close to 60,000 followers? I must be old. I'm finding this world confusing.

60,000 followers and at least a quarter of them questing for Hollywood fame and hoping for free veneers!

• LOL 13
  • Love 2