Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

Genuine question because I honestly can’t tell: are the comments about how Jeremy should be feeding the homeless joking or serious? I’m not sure how many mealtimes a seminary student is supposed to spend doing community service instead of just relaxing with family or friends, or if I’m missing the “sarcasm font” here! I’m always a little confused by society’s expectations of how Christians are supposed to behave compared to “normal” people.

But anyway maybe I’m also a weirdo because I take food pics any time I have a pretty or exciting meal, and I usually snap them at least to my sister and some close friends. I equally enjoy receiving theirs!

• Love 12
16 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

I doubt if any of his fellow seminarians are out feeding the hungry either. MacArthur doesn't seem to run that kind of outfit. There's not one word on the Grace Church website about any programs or services to help people in need. Lots of programs to recruit new souls for Jesus and lots of ways to make it easy for the faithful to donate money, but nothing about extending charity to people outside their own little bubble. 

Yep. That's the church run by the man who gathered signatures on a letter to the nation -- declaring that any Christian who talks about social justice is in fact betraying Christ. 

And who asked Jer to be among the top five or six signatories (among thousands)....because (I surmise) Jer's large social media and TeeVee following may bring more and younger people rallying to this cause. 

Yippee! 😖

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 2

Just FYI, but I have heard some church pastors say that outreach programs for a church are often a distraction from "bad theology." So, it doesn't surprise me that MacArthur doesn't place a priority on working with the community. 😞

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Yep. That's the church run by the man who gathered signatures on a letter to the nation -- declaring that any Christian who talks about social justice is in fact betraying Christ. 

This the same Jesus that was a social justice warrior?

• LOL 6
  • Love 15
23 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

This the same Jesus that was a social justice warrior?

Nope. Obviously we've been misled. We've been looking at the incorrect Jesus all these years! Karl Marx or Jane Addams or some other hellhound must have tinkered with all the bibles. 

Thank goodness MacArthur and his friends and proteges are now educating us about the correct one! 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 16
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Nope. Obviously we've been misled. We've been looking at the incorrect Jesus all these years! Karl Marx or Jane Addams or some other hellhound must have tinkered with all the bibles. 

Thank goodness MacArthur and his friends and proteges are now educating us about the correct one! 

Seems like if they were on the right track the seminary wouldn't be on life support. Or is this just a test from (Correct) God?

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

Seems like if they were on the right track the seminary wouldn't be on life support. Or is this just a test from (Correct) God?

Well, there's a recording of MacArthur's year-opening speech to last year's student body  -- which would include Jeremy, since he was an online student in last year's class -- in which he actually says that Satan is behind it. 

He tells the students that, in fact, the accreditation inquiry proves that the seminary is stronger now and thriving more than ever, so of course they're super-lucky to be there NOW -- in its greatest days.....And that the proof of this IS the accreditors' inquiry. Because, of course, when you're really doing your best work for God, then that's when Satan attacks you. 

He sounds a little unhinged to me in that recording and he goes on and on about this.... ... but of course it's the same thing they all say. It's the reason the Duggars were cursed with the Josh problem and the reason all those people sued Gothard and so on. 

I'd think that when you'd heard this kind of thing over and over as an excuse from people who are maybe, um, questionable, you'd be suspicious when you heard it the next time. But Jer, for example, may have actually been galvanized by it. Because I think it was probably after this speech that he decided for certain that he'd be moving to Los Angeles to attend the school in person -- so he could have his actual lips on MacArthur's actual butt all the time instead of just brown-nosing virtually and on occasional visits to his City of Dreams.....

Or maybe that was Jer sensing desperation and realizing this was the right time to offer up his media following in return for favors. He may be too much of a true believer (after his fashion) to have come to that conclusion, though....

I do wonder if anybody decided to run when they heard MacArthur's Satan's gunning for us spiel....Because, wow ... . 

Here's the audio -- He opens the sermon with this stuff -- https://s3.amazonaws.com/chronicle/TMUS.m4a

The Chronicle of Higher Ed initially published the link. Here's a Christian Post article that cited it from there . 

https://www.christianpost.com/news/john-macarthur-to-students-questioning-accreditation-problems-keep-your-mouth-shut.html

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I don't know if it's bad lighting or what, but Jingle's face looks really thinned out, and not in a flattering way. It seems like she's aged ten years in a couple months. 

And what is going on with her eyebrows?

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I don't know if it's bad lighting or what, but Jingle's face looks really thinned out, and not in a flattering way. It seems like she's aged ten years in a couple months. 

I think maybe they just filtered that shot to a fare thee well....and didn't fare so well. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I think it's some sort of weird filter they are using. Everything just seems unnaturally crisp.

• Love 4

Felicity is what, a year old? I hope they've at least had a couple of opportunities to go out without her. I was a stay at home parent for 10 years and would have gone crazy if I never had a break from my kids.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

But anyway maybe I’m also a weirdo because I take food pics any time I have a pretty or exciting meal, and I usually snap them at least to my sister and some close friends. I equally enjoy receiving theirs!

My family does this all the time.  Saturday, I was out & texted my brother a pic of my lunch, where I had the words "Bite Me" spelled out in boiled crawfish.  We "speak" more about and with food than just about anything else.  

You & yours sound perfectly normal to me!  *LOL*

• LOL 6
  • Love 3

I think Jinger looks great.  Possibly her body is naturally lean, but years of horrible processed Duggar beige foods made her look soft, pasty and flaccid. 

We've recently seen pics of her weights and statements about her workouts, so fitness could be something she was always interested in, but couldn't really accomplish in long denim frumpers and flip flops. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, leighdear said:

My family does this all the time.  Saturday, I was out & texted my brother a pic of my lunch, where I had the words "Bite Me" spelled out in boiled crawfish.  We "speak" more about and with food than just about anything else.  

Now, I think that is hysterical!

My issues, if you will, are those who check in and post food pics on SM. Like, “Eating hamburgers at Hamburgers R Us.” And post pictures of said hamburger. 

Does anybody care if I eat a hamburger tonight!? Nope, I didn’t think so. 

I have a friend who posts every move she makes on SM. Every place she goes. I don’t care that you went to Home Depot. And I doubt too many others care either. 

JMHO. YMMV. 

• Love 14
4 hours ago, leighdear said:

I was taught not to play with my food.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Westiepeach said:

Now, I think that is hysterical!

My issues, if you will, are those who check in and post food pics on SM. Like, “Eating hamburgers at Hamburgers R Us.” And post pictures of said hamburger. 

Does anybody care if I eat a hamburger tonight!? Nope, I didn’t think so. 

I have a friend who posts every move she makes on SM. Every place she goes. I don’t care that you went to Home Depot. And I doubt too many others care either. 

JMHO. YMMV. 

The Vuolos border on doing this. Jinger posted her breakfast earlier today.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

The Vuolos border on doing this.

And it seems to me they're doing it because they want to be influencers of some kind. 

I mean, they're not doing these as a way to communicate, keep in touch with or joke around with friends  and family (well, they are to some extent, probably, but that's only a minuscule fraction of those seeing them and almost just a byproduct of most of their posting, seems to me).

They're showing their stuff to hundreds of thousands/millions of strangers who are "followers" because of the level of fame that they already have. And I get the feeling that, if their social media only went to friends and family, they wouldn't be doing it the way they're doing it. It's got a very advertising-like feel to it, to me. Especially, but not only, Jeremy's posts. 

So I conclude that they're trying to build more fame and influence by posting. (and free meals, but I think they must be aiming at more than that, although I'm not sure exactly why I think so...)

But I don't think they have much influencer game. I think people are mostly still watching them because they're part of the Duggar horde, and because Jingle's been the favorite Duggar of many people and because they're doing something seemingly very different from the other Duggars and they smile a lot, so that's intriguing. 

But as I understand it, you don't take hold as an influencer unless, over time, you're actually providing stuff that people interested in your chosen niche(s) find meaningful, valuable, useful, lots of fun, informative, or something -- ... People follow influencers to some extent because of the influencers' personalities and such, I guess. But as time goes on they also want to get something out of it related to the subject matter they're interested in, as far as I know. I don't see much of that going on with Jingle and Jer. 

I guess my conclusion is that they're (or Jer is, at least) probably looking to construct some social-media presence and money-making capability that's focused on him as influencer and famous guy and that eventually steps completely out of the I-follow-him-because-he-married-my-favorite-Duggar box. 

But so far I don't see that what he's doing would be very effective in accomplishing that. 

I guess that's one of the things that's weirdest to me about it. What he's doing seems partly like just the silly stuff people send to their own networks. But I get the feeling he's intending it to be more than that.......but I don't see the "more." Even though it all seems to be very consciously put together -- more so than if you were just posting it for people you know ... 

This is my usual question about social media -- Once your social-media presence scales into the hundreds of thousands of people, isn't it something completely different from what it was when you were actually somehow connected to everybody on your list? I think, yes. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

5 pictures: (and a reply from Jill)

7D38A3E3-EB3E-4EFE-9B37-04B3ED0FB3D0.jpeg

Now, to me, Jingle's acting much more like somebody with the potential to be an actual influencer here than Jer has been doing.  Go for it, Jingle. Become a healthy-cooking-and-eating influencer. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 15
Just now, Westiepeach said:

Um... so many of you asked? Really?

I don't doubt that many people did ask, but they were most likely wondering if she ate at fancy restaurants on a daily basis, not asking for recipes.

• Love 17
5 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

Um... so many of you asked? Really?

Oh, we elected a reality-tv "celebrity"' president. And apparently in large measure because he was on reality tv. 

It actually wouldn't surprise me a bit if dozens if not hundreds of women look up to Jingle as some kind of nutrition and beauty expert and ask her this kind of question. 

Both things baffle me. But they no longer surprise me, either. 🙄

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9

These are prosperity-gospel-adjacent folks. The point is to show themselves living the good life, because it reinforces that they're favored by God. Look how blessed they are! They're a beautiful family, wearing beautiful clothes, living in a beautiful house, going to fun events with the glitterati and stuffing their faces with the yummiest food. And people will act like them and listen to what they preach because they want to be blessed by God, too, just like the Vuolos are. That's their ministry.

And I'd guess that it's pretty heavily subsidized by the people who want to draw "converts" (especially young people) into their particular kind of fundamentalism. For example, I'd guess that the house they're living in is owned by someone associated with their religious "fellowship" and who is giving them a deep discount on rent. Given the Vuolos' reach, subsidized rent and tuition scholarships is actually a pretty cheap investment.

They need to seem like shiny happy people because that not only is essentially the crux of their ministry it's also how they stay in their patrons'/"fellowship's" good graces and keeping les bons temps rouler.

Jinger's much more professional and less cheesy about it than Jeremy is because she's been doing this her whole life. She was literally born to it.

In addition, though, I think they do probably have some TV money in their pockets. Jill is certainly not the face of any brand but she's been able to buy a suburban house and put her husband through a ministry program, just like Jinger apparently is. So I would guess that the girls do each have some sort of trust or stipend or something. Meanwhile, Jessa is being a cheapskate just like she was with her wedding, but I think that's just her personality -- she's a very practical woman in her own way.

• Useful 1
  • Love 22
55 minutes ago, rue721 said:

These are prosperity-gospel-adjacent folks. The point is to show themselves living the good life, because it reinforces that they're favored by God. Look how blessed they are! They're a beautiful family, wearing beautiful clothes, living in a beautiful house, going to fun events with the glitterati and stuffing their faces with the yummiest food. And people will act like them and listen to what they preach because they want to be blessed by God, too, just like the Vuolos are. That's their ministry.

And I'd guess that it's pretty heavily subsidized by the people who want to draw "converts" (especially young people) into their particular kind of fundamentalism. For example, I'd guess that the house they're living in is owned by someone associated with their religious "fellowship" and who is giving them a deep discount on rent. Given the Vuolos' reach, subsidized rent and tuition scholarships is actually a pretty cheap investment.

They need to seem like shiny happy people because that not only is essentially the crux of their ministry it's also how they stay in their patrons'/"fellowship's" good graces and keeping les bons temps rouler.

Jinger's much more professional and less cheesy about it than Jeremy is because she's been doing this her whole life. She was literally born to it.

In addition, though, I think they do probably have some TV money in their pockets. Jill is certainly not the face of any brand but she's been able to buy a suburban house and put her husband through a ministry program, just like Jinger apparently is. So I would guess that the girls do each have some sort of trust or stipend or something. Meanwhile, Jessa is being a cheapskate just like she was with her wedding, but I think that's just her personality -- she's a very practical woman in her own way.

Makes sense!

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Hasn't Jeremy preached against the prosperity gospel?

MacArthur, Jeremy's idol and the guy who runs the seminary Jer attends, has preached against prosperity gospel; so Jeremy is probably opposed to Osteen and that bunch, too.  However, MacArthur is worth an estimated $14 million, so he's not opposed to his own prosperity.  From what we've seen, Jeremy isn't either.  I guess they don't want their congregation to think that Jesus is going to make them wealthy because it might cut into their profits.

• Useful 7
  • Love 16
7 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Jeremy and his new spiritual leader MacArthur are not believers in the Prosperity Gospel as it is defined, but the do believe that straight cisgender rich white men are the Dog-appointed leaders of America.  It's prosperity-lite.

• LOL 2
  • Love 16
3 hours ago, rue721 said:

They need to seem like shiny happy people because that not only is essentially the crux of their ministry it's also how they stay in their patrons'/"fellowship's" good graces and keeping les bons temps rouler..

I just wonder how it will all come crashing down. And the whole charade has to, at some point. 

• Love 10
11 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Yeah, they officially oppose the prosperity gospel.

But the MacArthur brand of Calvinist, and, I expect, the Jeremy brand, also has a big thing for money. It's just a subtler one.

They absolutely positively want to hang out with moneyed people. (And that's compatible with being anti-prosperity gospel since per se the p.g. has mostly attracted -- and been preached for the purpose of attracting -- people without much money, bringing them in with the hope that their faith will bring the money). 

With the MacArthur/Jeremy brand, it's about looking and being all upper-crusty -- not just in a money way but in a power way -- but not really saying that Jesus gets it for you. People come because they want to rub shoulders with your upper-crusty selves. And other upper-crusties will be among your followers. People who are already well fixed will come in to be with more of their own. Meanwhile, the whole "Jesus gets you into this country club" thing is there but goes unspoken. 

Think the pretty haughty Puritan fathers and the whole image of the American power and money elite that came from that direction. Hence things like the conservative dressy-dressing, the "elite academic" atmosphere the seminary promotes, the whole parsing of scripture with the long college-lecture-like sermons, and so on. 

They are the American power structure -- and its theirs alone to tell us that, for example, social-justice seekers are ewwwww! and dirty rebels against Christ 

That's more of how they see themselves, I think. And that's not prosperity gospel. Though it's clearly about their personal prosperity (and not just in the money sense, but in the influence and power sense as well). This has long been a thread in the southern-California evangelical tapestry.

They see themselves as America's hereditary elite, which is what the mainline Protestant denominations took on the mantle of beginning in the late 19th century -- Most of the actual heirs of the Puritans went in that direction, churchwise. But whereas the mainline churches went left, these folks went determinedly right, politically. And in their minds that's what makes them -- not those mainline heretics -- the true heirs to America's Puritan founders (the true elite), I think. 

Not just money. Big shots. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 4
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, awaken said:

I just wonder how it will all come crashing down. And the whole charade has to, at some point. 

And honestly I wonder whether the Jeremy part of the charade will ever actually ascend very high without fizzling. 

At this point, it seems to me the vast majority of the social-media-followers crowd (which is why MacArthur wants to link with Jer) is still mostly a Duggar-generated crowd. 

But for that crowd to serve MacArthur's purposes and, I expect, Jer's personal purposes as well, it doesn't work for them if it stays a "we're here because we've been fascinated by Duggars and/or are longtime Jinger Duggar fans." 

At some point -- and fairly soon, I would think -- if he's going to succeed, more people have to start saying, "I found this guy on insta and I love him. You gotta see him, he's great." They have to be following because Jer (and wife and baby) are cool young Calvinists who are insta influencers. Not because Jer's a guy who married a lot of people's favorite Duggarling (or just because Felicity's so so cute). 

A switchover in the source of attraction to them has to occur, it seems to me. If not, neither MacArthur nor Jer will be getting what he wants. People who are following will still just be thinking about Duggars, not necessarily getting curious about the new church Jer's led them to or even about Jer himself (as opposed to "Jinger's husband"). 

And I really wonder whether the switch will ever happen.

So far, I'd be very surprised if Jer's picking up many followers because of his activities. And I'm sure people are still seeing Jingle as Jingle of-Duggar, not Jingle of Grace Community, California.

It's early days, of course. But "Duggar" still has a lot of horsepower as a "celebrity" draw. And I wonder where sufficient horsepower in the new direction is going to come from. I don't see it at this point. I doubt Jer's attracting a whole lot of followers by his own efforts. (Although it's perfectly possible he's attracting them in droves, I guess.)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 10
22 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

So far, I'd be very surprised if Jer's picking up many followers because of his activities. And I'm sure people are still seeing Jingle as Jingle of-Duggar, not Jingle of Grace Community, California.

It's early days, of course. But "Duggar" still has a lot of horsepower as a "celebrity" draw. And I wonder where sufficient horsepower in the new direction is going to come from. I don't see it at this point. I doubt Jer's attracting a whole lot of followers by his own efforts. (Although it's perfectly possible he's attracting them in droves, I guess.)

Exactly.  I doubt a large number of guys around his age know anything about the Duggars or watch the show.

And the old grandmas and teenage girls who watch the show because they love weddings and babies are not going to fly to California to eat giant hamburgers.

• LOL 7
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

And honestly I wonder whether the Jeremy part of the charade will ever actually ascend very high without fizzling. 

At this point, it seems to me the vast majority of the social-media-followers crowd (which is why MacArthur wants to link with Jer) is still mostly a Duggar-generated crowd. 

But for that crowd to serve MacArthur's purposes and, I expect, Jer's personal purposes as well, it doesn't work for them if it stays a "we're here because we've been fascinated by Duggars and/or are longtime Jinger Duggar fans." 

At some point -- and fairly soon, I would think -- if he's going to succeed, more people have to start saying, "I found this guy on insta and I love him. You gotta see him, he's great." They have to be following because Jer (and wife and baby) are cool young Calvinists who are insta influencers. Not because Jer's a guy who married a lot of people's favorite Duggarling (or just because Felicity's so so cute). 

A switchover in the source of attraction to them has to occur, it seems to me. If not, neither MacArthur nor Jer will be getting what he wants. People who are following will still just be thinking about Duggars, not necessarily getting curious about the new church Jer's led them to or even about Jer himself (as opposed to "Jinger's husband"). 

And I really wonder whether the switch will ever happen.

Brilliantly said. Without Jinger and Felicity, RFP’s got nothing. He’s not witty, insightful, interesting, creative, insanely fit, sexy (In California, there are guys infinitely hotter than he is filling the Slurpee machines), or knowledgeable about anything mainstream, like DIY. He dresses nicely but it’s nothing groundbreaking. Youtube sermons on masturbation don’t have a mass appeal

I guess there may be a spot for him in the Country Club Christians but I don’t think he’s got that kind of money, either. That crowd can assess net worth to the dime.

Very few ever became famous merely because they desperately wanted to be famous. Well, there’s always politics, but he picked the wrong state for that and I don’t think he wants to work that hard.

Dunno. I think he’s kinda screwed.

• Love 20
23 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

That breakfast looks really good to me. If I had the time, I would eat like that every morning! 

It makes a great lunch also. Even dinner, if you hang out with others who are willing to eat eggs for dinner!

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

It makes a great lunch also. Even dinner, if you hang out with others who are willing to eat eggs for dinner!

I would eat eggs for dinner (a huge omelet would be great!) but my husband hates them. 

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Brilliantly said. Without Jinger and Felicity, RFP’s got nothing. He’s not witty, insightful, interesting, creative, insanely fit, sexy (In California, there are guys infinitely hotter than he is filling the Slurpee machines), or knowledgeable about anything mainstream, like DIY. He dresses nicely but it’s nothing groundbreaking. Youtube sermons on masturbation don’t have a mass appeal

I think that's what annoys me about Jeremy. His inflated sense of self-importance is so undeserved. If it wasn't for Jinger, Jinger's family name and Jinger's TV fame, he'd still be in Laredo, doing baptisms in cattle troughs. I guess one could argue Jinger experienced a significant life upgrade thanks to him as well, but she doesn't come off like an arrogant try-hard. 

• Love 23
9 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I would eat eggs for dinner (a huge omelet would be great!) but my husband hates them. 

Yep. I know the feeling!

If it's been a tiring day, I've found that doing Jingle's recipe but adding some canned clams or oysters, smoked salmon or fake crab to the eggs can sometimes win the egg-despiser over. (Only if the egg-despiser has low resistance that day, though...) 

I assume Jingle serves this to Jer, and if he goes along with it, then good for him, I say. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3