Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, fonfereksglen said:

The camera does not love them.  

It's interesting the look on their faces. Jinger actually looks relaxed and happy to be there. He looks a bit stiff and uncomfortable. 

• Love 21
12 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Of, maybe that seminary is chock full of pretentious climbers, and he'll fit in just fine.

Well Beckett in the third row cannot wait to meet Jeremy.

1 minute ago, fonfereksglen said:

The camera does not love them.  

Hee! Jeremy probably loves all this stuff. Forget seminary school Jeremy wants more fame!

• LOL 12
  • Love 6
12 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

The camera does not love them.  Nothing about either of them pops. 

Well, those harlot shoes she’s wearing kinda do...

Toes! Pedicure! Red! Heels! So...much...foot...nudity!

Oh, the defrauding...

• LOL 22
17 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Foot fungus Jeremy. 

For real. I walk around barefoot all the time, but I figured out when I was about 9 to not combine no socks with shoes. Yuck. 

• Love 6

Wow, after seeing Jinger in those white jeans and great red shoes (with a pedi), who do you think would be more qualified to give a speech on women's fashion....Jinger or Jessa? (well, perhaps it's Jeremy who MAY be picking out Jinger's clothes.) Jinger really looks great in that picture..she also has cut some major hair off. Hope she continues and adds some soft layers.

• Love 12
5 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Oh, the defrauding...

It's okay. Michelle decreed long ago that "feet aren't sexual" (except for that creepy old perv, Bill Gothard, of course).

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Buice dude giving RFP top billing isn’t very smart. 

RFP will grab onto that with both manicured hands and never let go.

He will.

But I still think Jer's ultimate downfall is that he's not a good speaker (or writer or thinker) in any way, shape or form. These guys know about his social-media and tv following, so they know that when they highlight him in some way they'll get immediate access to some more ears and eyeballs. And I'm sure Jer figures he'll be able to take long-term advantage of this. And that's serving him in these initial one-off opportunities. 

But every one of these guys that I've actually heard or read is a far more effective speaker, writer, presenter than Jer. They've got better speaking voices, more charisma, and way more apparent brains, knowledge, imagination, you name it.

I'm probably wrong about this -- I usually am when I feel Duggars are hitting some kind of wall -- but I just can't see Jer ultimately being able to take much advantage of the doors that are repeatedly being opened for him.

As he tries to draw people around him using his own talents, all they're going to encounter is an uncharismatic guy with a very average mind, little knowledge and a mediocre speaking voice. As far as I've seen (to now, anyway), he never shows up with anything very interesting to say, and his persona is basically dull, one-note, unctuous, a little condescending and totally humorless. 

In a field where you have nothing to impress people with except what comes out of your mouth and your pen, I don't see how that can take him very far. 

(Above: What I predict. Here: What will actually happen: Flash forward 7 years: Jer is head pastor of the world's largest conservative Calvinist church whose growing membership has completely reversed the slow decline of church membership in America and his tv, radio and online sermons attract 10s of millions of viewers and listeners every weekend. Because it's all about the pocket squares.) 

8 hours ago, Zella said:

Yes, she does look nice.

My first thought when I saw the pic, though, was "Is he seriously not wearing socks?" 

Mine was: Are they seriously on a frigging red carpet??!!

• LOL 6
  • Love 12
8 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Oh, the defrauding...

Gotta remember: Gothard loves those bare feet. ("Feet aren't sexy!" TM Meeechelle Duggar)

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Jinger looks incredible. I love the blazer and red heels.

I think her outfit is an A+ and I like that she’s got her hair off of her face, but something with her makeup is not hitting the mark. I think she did it for “every day” not realizing those bright lights in your face can flatten your features and make even those of us with deep skin tones wash out (once I looked down right BEIGE under a bright light). 

Jinger’s face is much prettier than it looks in this photo. 

• Love 24
11 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

So I googled...G3 and that Buice guy have a presentation out there with a description that begins, “What is missions?”

Tells me all I need to know, really...

People outside certain religious circles may not be familiar with this usage, but missions with an -s can mean "organized missionary work or activities in any country or region." (See definition #17, https://www.dictionary.com/browse/mission.) In this case, it's a non-count noun and takes a singular verb. Even knowing this, it can sound a little funny, just as the sentence "Physics is a difficult class" seems a little off.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
Just now, Suzn said:

I want to say this carefully.  I am in no way endorsing Jeremy's odious views.  They are horrible and inexplicable to me.  And I am in no way diminishing that in the future Jinger will have limited opportunities as Jeremy's wife and I wonder what is in store for Felicity.

That said, I am so glad for Jinger in this moment.  I think she is fulfilling a dream of a big city and all that implies.  She's gone Hollywood and she's glammed up and looking great.  I'm sure Jessa's head will explode any minute now.

Jinger honestly doesn't look like a Duggar! 

• Love 20
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Mine was: Are they seriously on a frigging red carpet??!!

Okay, I’m sure there’s someone here who would know, but even for a low rent D list event like this one, they have to have someone like a publicist shilling for them to get on that red carpet, right? So who’s paying for that, TLC?

I thought Evangelicals hated all that is evil, Godless, liberal Hollywood? How do they square that circle?

• Love 22
(edited)
1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

I thought Evangelicals hated all that is evil, Godless, liberal Hollywood? How do they square that circle?

There are "evangelicals," which is a very broad category of protestant Christian theology, and to put it very crudely they believe they are called to spread the Word and save souls from the fires of hell. (I'm no theologian and am ignoring all sorts of fine points here.) I have a boatload of relatives who are evangelicals *and* also live very mainstream lives. The women, as well as the men, are well-educated and hold responsible (secular) jobs. They wear makeup, go to movies, watch TV, take vacations to fun places, and many of them enjoy a social alcoholic drink. Many of them are also active in their churches, and will be the first ones who turn out to help when someone needs it. Most of my relatives don't harangue me about Jesus, although I think they deeply believe they are supposed to spread the Gospel. I think that's why they hold missionaries in high regard, because they are out there doing that. I'm sure some evangelicals are the fire-and-brimstone, Hollywood-is-evil types, but that gets us to: fundies.

Yes, there are the "fundies," who are more likely to have hard-line beliefs about sin and sinners, and legalistic views about rules for living. They are the frumper-wearing Gothard-following, separatist, homeschooling, hordes who pile out of their old minivans and line up at conferences like Big Sandy and consider it a treat to visit the Forsyth's guest ranch. I'm sure there are lots of evangelical fundies who don't follow Gothard, but the Duggars are IBLP to the core. 

Short answer: evangelicals decry sin but live in the real world and are capable of discriminating between sleazy entertainment and the good stuff. Fundies are more likely to clutch their pearls and cover their kids' eyes against any secular entertainment. 

Edited to add: I'm not saying only fundies do home-schooling, BTW. Lots of people decide to home-school their kids for lots of reasons that have nothing to do with fundamentalist religious beliefs.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Useful 6
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

Jill should take note at Jinger's look. Shorter lighter hair and an outfit that goes together and fits properly! 

I don't think Jill (or anyone) needs lighter hair.  Jill has a lovely brown shade of hair that suits her skin tone.

But I definitely agree she need to look to Jinger and chop a couple feet off that long, outdated hair do.  Layers for sure.

• Love 15
17 minutes ago, louannems said:

I don't think Jill (or anyone) needs lighter hair.  Jill has a lovely brown shade of hair that suits her skin tone.

But I definitely agree she need to look to Jinger and chop a couple feet off that long, outdated hair do.  Layers for sure.

Maybe some high lights to add depth to her hair. With a cute cut and style it would look so much better. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

There are "evangelicals," which is a very broad category of protestant Christian theology, and to put it very crudely they believe they are called to spread the Word and save souls from the fires of hell. (I'm no theologian and am ignoring all sorts of fine points here.) I have a boatload of relatives who are evangelicals *and* also live very mainstream lives. The women, as well as the men, are well-educated and hold responsible (secular) jobs. They wear makeup, go to movies, watch TV, take vacations to fun places, and many of them enjoy a social alcoholic drink. Many of them are also active in their churches, and will be the first ones who turn out to help when someone needs it. Most of my relatives don't harangue me about Jesus, although I think they deeply believe they are supposed to spread the Gospel. I think that's why they hold missionaries in high regard, because they are out there doing that. I'm sure some evangelicals are the fire-and-brimstone, Hollywood-is-evil types, but that gets us to: fundies.

Yes, there are the "fundies," who are more likely to have hard-line beliefs about sin and sinners, and legalistic views about rules for living. They are the frumper-wearing Gothard-following, separatist, homeschooling, hordes who pile out of their old minivans and line up at conferences like Big Sandy and consider it a treat to visit the Forsyth's guest ranch. I'm sure there are lots of evangelical fundies who don't follow Gothard, but the Duggars are IBLP to the core. 

Short answer: evangelicals decry sin but live in the real world and are capable of discriminating between sleazy entertainment and the good stuff. Fundies are more likely to clutch their pearls and cover their kids' eyes against any secular entertainment. 

Edited to add: I'm not saying only fundies do home-schooling, BTW. Lots of people decide to home-school their kids for lots of reasons that have nothing to do with fundamentalist religious beliefs.

THIS!  well said. i consider myself an 'evangelical, non-denominational christian'.  this paragraph in particular sums it up perfectly:

'The women, as well as the men, are well-educated and hold responsible (secular) jobs. They wear makeup, go to movies, watch TV, take vacations to fun places, and many of them enjoy a social alcoholic drink. Many of them are also active in their churches, and will be the first ones who turn out to help when someone needs it. Most of my relatives don't harangue me about Jesus, although I think they deeply believe they are supposed to spread the Gospel.'

could not have described me better. i am so less like the dugger version - i dont force feed anyone my beliefs. i will happily share if the timing is appropriate but i keep it non-confrontational.  i guess that is where my perspective on the Lord and heaven vacillates off the path from the dugger version. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 12
16 minutes ago, zoomama said:

THIS!  well said. i consider myself an 'evangelical, non-denominational christian'.  this paragraph in particular sums it up perfectly:

'The women, as well as the men, are well-educated and hold responsible (secular) jobs. They wear makeup, go to movies, watch TV, take vacations to fun places, and many of them enjoy a social alcoholic drink. Many of them are also active in their churches, and will be the first ones who turn out to help when someone needs it. Most of my relatives don't harangue me about Jesus, although I think they deeply believe they are supposed to spread the Gospel.'

could not have described me better. i am so less like the dugger version - i dont force feed anyone my beliefs. i will happily share if the timing is appropriate but i keep it non-confrontational.  i guess that is where my perspective on the Lord and heaven vacillates off the path from the dugger version. 

I agree! Living in the South, this is how the majority of Christians are. I think people hear "evangelical" and think fundie weirdos, but most mainstream denominations are considered evangelical. Heck, the Lutheran ELCA is one of the more liberal denominations, and E stands for...you guessed it! "Evangelicals" seems like a misleading term, because it mixes a lot of regular people, like you and me, in with the weirdos. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 12:34 PM, Churchhoney said:

And true Christians are required to react to such a sin by shunning. 

I'm not gay but my fundie evangelical sister-in-law shunned me for about a decade. I just pretended I didn't notice.

Maybe the Buice guy can teach Derek and Jill what is missions?

Edited by TresGatos
Addition
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, zoomama said:

Thank you for this.  A lot of people think because I'm a woman, Southern, and (non-denominational) Christian that I am a fundamentalist Christian.  I sometimes cuss with the best of them (hey, I drive in Atlanta traffic every day) and while I don't drink every day, when I go out for a nice meal, yeah, I'm going to have a drink.  I remember a few years ago I was on a last date with a fundamentalist Christian and that night I ordered a drink - he looked at me like I was crazy.  Hey, I knew it was going to be our last meal together and I wanted him to see the real me at least once.  

If people ask me about my Christian  beliefs, I will tell them, but I also don't tell people they are going to hell for their beliefs. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 13

Teacher's pet JerMe invited the pastor of Grace Community Church and his family to the event. I think the producers got them into the screening because TLC is owned by Discovery and it will probably make for a good episode. "Jinge and RFP take Hollywood", rubbing elbows with D- list celebs such as Corey Feldman and the lady from Flip or Flop.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10

If Discovery is going to use them at premieres they need to invest in stylists, hair stylists,  make up artists for them. They don't look horrible and Jinger has certainly looked much worse, but they look like random people who won free tickets and did they best they could with the clothes and makeup they had.

• Love 23
24 minutes ago, Lunera said:

Teacher's pet JerMe invited the pastor of Grace Community Church and his family to the event. I think the producers got them into the screening because TLC is owned by Discovery and it will probably make for a good episode. "Jinge and RFP take Hollywood", rubbing elbows with D- list celebs such as Corey Feldman and the lady from Flip or Flop.

H-e-e-e-r-e's Corey -- 

image.thumb.png.d13d87114302740713796f2f6ae450c9.png

• LOL 21
  • Love 3

Yeah, there’s no way that Jinger is “leaving it up to God” when it comes to conception. They’re using contraception of some sort. Which, good for her. 😀. She knows how to play the game - keep the Duggar leghumpers while looking all LA and progressive. 

3 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Jingle's still pretending she's a true believer in Gothard, though, if the Roloff podcast is any indication.

• Love 8
(edited)
20 minutes ago, Marigold said:

This is gonna sound a little critical but I don't really mean it so harshly.

Jinger plays both sides. 

She has dumped the frump but is pretty happy to associate with her famous Duggar Gothard loving family and collect the money!  Then she is out there with Jeremy looking pretty sassy! 

I know it's her family and she is attached and of course she has to follow what Jeremy says. 

Does Jinger have any choices that are her own? I have a lot of mixed feeling with Jinger. 

Totally agree. 

But I expect anything else would be way too deep for Jingle. She can do what she's doing now without really thinking anything through or mustering any courage or making any actual choices. It's all shallow and line of least resistance. That's the true outcome of JB and M's rote-memorization approach to life. It's just more of the Duggarling perpetual immaturity and behave-by-rote thoughtlessness that JB and M have done their best to create.  But in this case, it's a lot more fun than usual for the Duggarling in question.

That's how it looks to me, anyway. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 10

Hmmmm. Jeremy may regret encouraging Jinger to spread her wings and become more “mainstream”. She looks better than him at this point, and she may spread her wings so much that she may realize he is a complete doofus and that she can do better. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if he puts the brakes on this “new and modern” Jinger when she starts to get and enjoy some “un-righteous attention” from others. 

Sometimes men who think they have “saved” someone require eternal gratitude. Hopefully she realizes she doesn’t have to thank him anymore and that he owes her more than she owes him. 

• Love 18

There's many sayings that have been around for years, such as, "it's not what you know, it's who you know", and other variations of the same message. Like @Churchhoney said, in the end you still have to deliver, no matter how you get in the door.

All the Duggars kids were given an opportunity (really IMO, a burden) by being raised on TV. As adults they are all finding ways to take advantage of this or will choose to slip away quietly.

Right or wrong (emphasis on wrong), this is their lot in life. They've already been raised by JB & M. The damage is done. The ball is in their court now and each one is figuring out adult life. 

I'm curiously waiting and watching as Jeremy & Jinger navigate through this Fundy celebrity circus to see where they land.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Marigold said:

This is gonna sound a little critical but I don't really mean it so harshly.

Jinger plays both sides. 

She has dumped the frump but is pretty happy to associate with her famous Duggar Gothard loving family and collect the money!  Then she is out there with Jeremy looking pretty sassy! 

I know it's her family and she is attached and of course she has to follow what Jeremy says. 

Does Jinger have any choices that are her own? I have a lot of mixed feeling with Jinger. 

Exactly. And just where is this "time and money to shop and eat out" coming from? Does she realize most people do have to go to work everyday to achieve that?

• Love 16
(edited)
5 hours ago, lascuba said:

If Discovery is going to use them at premieres they need to invest in stylists, hair stylists,  make up artists for them. They don't look horrible and Jinger has certainly looked much worse, but they look like random people who won free tickets and did they best they could with the clothes and makeup they had.

Of course, then it would really stop being "reality" TeeVee, wouldn't it?  😀

EMLTA: I'm kind of liking the concept of Jer being the one student at his seminary who has not just a personal hairdresser but a personal stylist and a makeup artist, though. ....Wondering how his fellow seminarians would feel about one of MacArthur's little suck-ups enjoying that set of perks as well.....While they're watching their student debt pile up as they pay the big rents for the tiny spaces in LA. They can watch him tread the red carpets with his full face on on their laptops or their tiny-apartment-size tvs. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 10
5 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Exactly. And just where is this "time and money to shop and eat out" coming from? Does she realize most people do have to go to work everyday to achieve that?

Not Duggars. 😀

They do things a little differently, you know! 

• LOL 8
  • Love 5