Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

(edited)
27 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

MacArthur sees something in Jeremy that we do not.  If he had a problem with Jeremy's Instagram, Jeremy would stop post haste.  Jeremy is smart enough to know where his bread is buttered, and would swiftly change course to stay in MacArthur's good graces.  

I imagine that the Masters Seminary is full of back-biting and jockeying for position under MacArthur.  I am interested to see how Jeremy will respond to this.  I am picturing endless whisper campaigns and snide comments made with a smile.  Whoever comes out on top at the end of the program will be the one who knows how to fight like a girl.  Jeremy will need Jinger's help if he wants it to be him.  

The expensive pocket squares and other sartorial excesses probably won't be viewed as anything unless the seminary decides to abandon the prosperity gospel.  And, I don't see that happening anytime soon.  The designer duds will always be seen as a sign of Dog's love and acceptance.

Well, the accrediting agency certainly tells a tale of of the back-biting and jockeying.. I wonder whether this is something Jer will take to easily -- or whether his current position with MacArthur is strong enough so that he'll be somewhat shielded from it as one of his favorites. That's a complaint faculty and students made to the accrediting board. 

MacArthur's actually very anti-prosperity gospel, though. He has lots of sermons and writings bashing it. He's part of a long-time California well-off evangelical culture that never needed the prosperity gospel -- which has mostly been preached to poorer people as a way to entice them into Christianity (or at least into the clutches of a particular preacher.

MacArthur's white evangelical community tended to migrate to Southern California from further east (mostly from the south) in the first half of the 20th century to take jobs in a bunch of newly booming California industries, like defense and media. And many did very well. So for a long time it was the main money center of conservative Protestantism. Over the last 50 years, more well-off evangelical communities have appeared elsewhere, but the southern Californians were the prime movers who bankrolled and drove the movement of evangelical-friendly politicians such as Reagan into Washington power circles in the mid-to-later decades of the last century. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 4
  • Love 5
22 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

MacArthur's actually very anti-prosperity gospel, though. He has lots of sermons and writings bashing it. 

I noticed that when I was reading about Grace Community Church, and it is one reason I was shocked Jeremy wormed his way in or would even want to be there. Jeremy may not think of himself as being a believer in the prosperity gospel, but his behavior is pretty textbook. 

• Love 12
37 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

MacArthur's actually very anti-prosperity gospel, though. He has lots of sermons and writings bashing it. He's part of a long-time California well-off evangelical culture that never needed the prosperity gospel -- which has mostly been preached to poorer people as a way to entice them into Christianity (or at least into the clutches of a particular preacher.

MacArthur's white evangelical community tended to migrate to Southern California from further east (mostly from the south) in the first half of the 20th century to take jobs in a bunch of newly booming California industries, like defense and media. And many did very well. So for a long time it was the main money center of conservative Protestantism. Over the last 50 years, more well-off evangelical communities have appeared elsewhere, but the southern Californians were the prime movers who bankrolled and drove the movement of evangelical-friendly politicians such as Reagan into Washington power circles in the mid-to-later decades of the last century. 

I will admit that I have not fully studied the various protestant theologies and I have a tendency to lump all preachers who are totally fine with outward displays of wealth as prosperity gospel.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I will admit that I have not fully studied the various protestant theologies and I have a tendency to lump all preachers who are totally fine with outward displays of wealth as prosperity gospel.

I hear ya. The love of money is so common and takes so many kind of awful forms! 

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, Zella said:

I noticed that when I was reading about Grace Community Church, and it is one reason I was shocked Jeremy wormed his way in or would even want to be there. Jeremy may not think of himself as being a believer in the prosperity gospel, but his behavior is pretty textbook. 

I expect he likes the whiff of "I'm upper class" that MacArthur enjoys giving off (I think.). .... Jer's into material things and dollars -- but the aura I expect he wants is the "I don't need to get money. I've already got money. And I'm still so godly!" 

• Love 9

My slight hope for Felicity with regards to education lays in Jeremy. Say what you will about him, but he ain't stupid. He knows that portraying himself and Jinger as the "rebel Duggars" is getting him tons of positive feedback, Instagram cash and brownie points with the public. What better way to continue that theme than to send your child to real school and let her play sports? Even if they choose a Christian acadmey, it's better than anything Jinger could offer. I'm not overly optimistic, but I think there's a chance.

• Love 21
4 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I expect he likes the whiff of "I'm upper class" that MacArthur enjoys giving off (I think.). .... Jer's into material things and dollars -- but the aura I expect he wants is the "I don't need to get money. I've already got money. And I'm still so godly!" 

Yes, I agree. His problem is he seems desperate and try-hard with the way he goes about it. 

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, Trillium said:

Some intrepid Reddit user sent Felix Grey a message about RFP. They replied with the below.  I guess no more free ladies sunglasses for him! 

6275BFFC-F76A-4B50-BFC6-1422C60CB94D.jpeg

This is freaking awesome!

• Love 22
(edited)
1 hour ago, Trillium said:

Some intrepid Reddit user sent Felix Grey a message about RFP. They replied with the below.  I guess no more free ladies sunglasses for him! 

Gotta love the Redditors. (well...a lot of the Redditors, anyway...)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 8
  • Love 6
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I just checked RPP's IG and his #ad is still up. How long before he has to take it down?

Sounds to me from the thing they wrote that they may be in an agreement with him that means they'd be on shaky ground if they took it back? (Plus, they might lose some sales that they're getting? Or come in for a hate campaign for publicly dumping this wonderful Christian?  Lol)

Just the verb tenses in what they wrote suggest to me that they may not feel able to dump him, maybe based on the exact process and documents they've used up to now to bring people into the fold?-- just to do better in the future....

"Knowing what we know now, we would not have sent him products to try." And they say, "we do not consider him a brand spokesman" but they don't say they'll rescind it. 

And they "will implement stricter vetting processes for future relationships going forward to avoid missteps like this one." 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 4
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

"will implement stricter vetting processes for future relationships going forward to avoid missteps like this one." 

-The Master's Seminary, about 2 years from now, Re: Jeremy.

• LOL 21
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Churchhoney said:

Sounds to me from the thing they wrote that they may be in an agreement with him that means they'd be on shaky ground if they took it back? (Plus, they might lose some sales that they're getting? Or come in for a hate campaign for publicly dumping this wonderful Christian?  Lol)

Just the verb tenses in what they wrote suggest to me that they may not feel able to dump him, maybe based on the exact process and documents they've used up to now to bring people into the fold?-- just to do better in the future....

"Knowing what we know now, we would not have sent him products to try." And they say, "we do not consider him a brand spokesman" but they don't say they'll rescind it. 

And they "will implement stricter vetting processes for future relationships going forward to avoid missteps like this one." 

It sounds to me like they gave him free merchandise and he promised to put it up on his site with a link to them in return.  I would think they could request that he remove all references to their company as well as any links to the post as they have decided not to use his site for PR purposes.  I'd also think that they could refuse to send him any further merchandise in the future.

• Love 14
(edited)
5 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

It sounds to me like they gave him free merchandise and he promised to put it up on his site with a link to them in return.  I would think they could request that he remove all references to their company as well as any links to the post as they have decided not to use his site for PR purposes.  I'd also think that they could refuse to send him any further merchandise in the future.

This is what happened between the Duggar sisters and Thrive Market. They were given a set timeframe in which they would have to stop shilling (I think it was a matter of days). 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Useful 5
  • Love 6
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

This is what happened between the Duggar sisters and Thrive Market.

Yeah, but it's possible that some companies give you a set time period to work with them on their first "contract" or some such thing.... Like their original contract with him could have said that he was able to offer X deal or discount for 90 days or something? ....

A business might do that as a way to get data about the person's success level so that at the end of that period they'd have a clearer idea about whether they should just re-up with the same offer or change the offer or decline to re-up or whatever. 

I just sense some lawyerly caution in that message.

And I wouldn't be surprised that there are contracts involved in some such arrangements that could make dumping someone instantly a problem if they originally got through your vetting.....

And in today's legal climate, it would be especially dicey to dump a conservative Christian in that way if there's any language that sets terms -- like a time period -- that you're now denying them. That's the kind of battle lots of conservative-Christian law students -- like Der -- are training to fight. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 6
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

This is what happened between the Duggar sisters and Thrive Market. They were given a set timeframe in which they would have to stop shilling (I think it was a matter of days). 

I think that will happen in this case, too.  If there is any sort of agreement, there has to be a clause allowing the company to request removal of their name fr all posts for any reason at the company's discretion.  There is no way a big time company isn't going to protect itself against both past and future bad behavior on the part of its 'influencers'.  The fact that Jeremy signed an online petition that specifically targeted the LGBTQ population and called for them lose some of their civil rights wouldn't even have to be mentioned.  He also specifically said that women are to be submissive to men and that God doesn't agree that things like sexism, racism or classism are bad. Remember how quick Lori Loughlin's daughter lost her PAID gigs with multiple big companies even though she wasn't arrested or charged in the college admission scam herself.  

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 2
  • Love 10

I think that the company just sent him glasses as promo in exchange for a review, so Jeremy wouldn't be obligated to take down his ad (which, is it technically an ad if he wasn't paid for it?), and all the company can do is just not send him more stuff. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I think the company is choosing not to jump into a public political fray. Not everyone wants to be, or needs to be the spokesperson for a cause. IMO, it's okay to bow out gracefully.

Of course now that we've been privy to it, no doubt it'll be picked up by an online gossip magazine.

• Love 13
5 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Of course now that we've been privy to it, no doubt it'll be picked up by an online gossip magazine.

Oh, boy, this will give the leghumpers a chance to whine about another member of the Duggar clan "being persecuted for his Christian beliefs"

• Love 7
40 minutes ago, lascuba said:

I think that the company just sent him glasses as promo in exchange for a review, so Jeremy wouldn't be obligated to take down his ad (which, is it technically an ad if he wasn't paid for it?), and all the company can do is just not send him more stuff. 

Jeremy hashtagged as an #ad both in the post and in his stories.

1 minute ago, Albanyguy said:

Oh, boy, this will give the leghumpers a chance to whine about another member of the Duggar clan "being persecuted for his Christian beliefs"

I don't remember an outcry when the Duggar girls were dumped.

• Love 3
On 7/19/2019 at 1:26 PM, Zella said:

I don't have an Instagram, but there's a part of me that wants to create an account just so I can post on one of Jeremy's over-the-top pictures the text to Matthew 6:24: "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon." 😎

No worries, I’ll do it for you.  Thanks for the idea.

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

No worries, I’ll do it for you.  Thanks for the idea.

You're doing the Lord's work! 🙂 

Am anxiously awaiting RFP's response. 😄 

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
(edited)
1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

I don't see it. 😕

He may have already deleted it.  Are you looking at the post with him wearing the sunglasses?

ETA:  I just checked.  It’s still there.

Edited by farmgal4
Edited to add something
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Trillium said:

This warms my heart!  I hope Jeremy sees this!   Although I’m sure he be happy to see that he’s being persecuted for his faith. 

• Love 6