Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

(edited)

I am just not getting what Jinger posted that has prompted all the pearl-clutching.  Is there a link missing, or a photo not shown here to explain what she did that was so horrible?

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 6

I don't have an Instagram, but there's a part of me that wants to create an account just so I can post on one of Jeremy's over-the-top pictures the text to Matthew 6:24: "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon." 😎

• Love 19
Just now, Churchhoney said:

I don't think they can have it both ways. 

"Oh, wowsie, I'm an influencer. Follow me! Watch me on TV! Listen to me on a podcast telling the Roloffs how our televised wedding and marriage provided Americans with one of the very few examples of such godly behavior they ever see. ... "

But, at the same time -- "Oh, let me off the hook for this tone deaf selfie that shows I have absolutely no sense of the proportion of things (even after I've bragged about visits to three Holocaust memorials) .... because I'm poor little naive, uneducated, too-young me.....!"

My feeling is -- If you're too young and naive and sheltered and ignorant to understand that maybe taking a sad-face me-me-me selfie in a Holocaust museum is kind of off base and inappropriate -- and that you should perhaps just put away your camera-pointed-at-my-own-pretty-face for once -- then you're way too ignorant and dumb to put yourself forward as anybody's "influencer" or godly role model. 

I haven't actually seen any of the celebrity selfies in Holocaust memorials that I'm hearing of here, except one of a model that I saw once.  But given the narcissism and general idiocy of a lot of people who pass for celebrities, their existence doesn't surprise me. ....

I can say, though, that every selfie that I have seen taken in a Holocaust memorial of any kind has gotten roundly bashed by many people. (including the "celebrity" model...) For the exact reasons people are stating here. 

So Jinge is far from the only person who's been criticized for doing this.

And I realize that she is doing this out of a kind if naivete that's way too common.

But when you want to be an "influencer" of millions -- and, in my opinion, especially when you want to be an influencer who claims the mantle of moralist and theologian, as the Duggars and adjacents do --  then you'd better get past that naivete (which is curable, if you want to cure it) pretty quickly or else learn to suck it up when people criticize tone-deaf 21-st-century-narcissism-heavy nonsense you do. 

Preach it, sister! 

The only other comparable celebrity moment I can think of, which I will admit was worse, was Beiber's trip to Anne Frank Museum. He justifiably received a lot of criticism. 

1 minute ago, Scarlett45 said:

I don’t think what Jinger did is egregious or anything like that, but a BETTER option for the photo would’ve been to take a picture of the exterior building, or an exterior dedication and devote her post in memory to all of those that lost their lives or were tortured during the Holocaust. 

Then everyone would’ve known she went (which was the point) but it would’ve been more socially appropriate. 

Yes, I would have been fine with that! And, as I said earlier, pleasantly surprised but glad they had gone to the museum. 

• Love 8

People (well influencers mostly) are getting the nth degree for doing selfies like Jinger did. Chernobyl is currently the trendy one to go take artistic but I am so sad selfies but I've seen Holocaust "look at how sad I am" selfies get torn to shreds on IG. Jinger is no different than what I've watched go down. 

What a time to be alive! Influencers traipsing around tragedies for clickbait!

• Love 14
(edited)
31 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I don’t think what Jinger did is egregious or anything like that, but a BETTER option for the photo would’ve been to take a picture of the exterior building, or an exterior dedication and devote her post in memory to all of those that lost their lives or were tortured during the Holocaust. 

Then everyone would’ve known she went (which was the point) but it would’ve been more socially appropriate. 

Agreed.  She posted a series of other photos from the museum that showed the significance  of their visit and explained where she was. Those were tasteful and appropriate. The somber selfie wasn’t necessary for her narrative and I can see where people are coming from. I don’t think she was being intentionally vapid but it seems strange to take a selfie there. 

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 19
4 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

The only thing that is real about Jeremy is his love for Jake the Cat

That and his love for himself. I have no doubt he's his own #1 fan. 😂

• LOL 7
  • Love 6
Just now, Sew Sumi said:

We could also parley this into a Bingo board. 😁

Bahahahaha

Once we're world-famous from our empire of Duggar betting games, we can get on Instagram and become influencers, too! 😉

• LOL 8
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

I raise with the fountain pen and inkwell. 😁

Wasn’t there also a stuffed owl or something?

I see your fountain pen and raise you custom-made gold stamped Bibles AND Gucci loafers.

1 hour ago, Suzn said:

I'm glad I read that, that, what-would-you-call-it before it evaporated.  

Did something all “Leave Brittany alone” happen here or am I hallucinating?

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Oldernowiser said:

Wasn’t there also a stuffed owl or something?

I see your fountain pen and raise you custom-made gold stamped Bibles AND Gucci loafers.

Did something all “Leave Brittany alone” happen here or am I hallucinating?

I would think I dreamed it, but the responses point to a post no longer there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Cute kid. I like Jeremy's caption better than Jinger's. The latter comes off as pure Duggar-speak.

The Duggar-speak is obnoxious.   How does one supremely serve Jesus?

Like this

we are certainly here to stay womens rights GIF

Or this

angry american horror story GIF by AHS

• LOL 10
  • Love 1

I think there's a learning curve for many influencers. Even the Kueens of SM, the Kardashians, still screw up and they have handlers. 

I agree with many of you that Jinger's post was a bit tasteless, but taste is subjective. Let's see if Jinger listens and learns.

And no matter what, J & J will always be D-list influencers.

• Love 8

Yeah, I'm gonna save my outrage for celebs like Miley Cyrus who actually break the law and cause actual damage to protected Joshua Tree plants while doing a photo shoot in the desert.  Disregard to a fragile part of the environment for self-promotion makes me angry.

A person like Jing, just standing in a building and looking pensive just doesn't get my ire up.  

• Love 6

I mean, these are people who take smiling selfies at funerals, why does the Holoaust museum shot surprise anyone?  At least she had enough sense to "look" sad.   I only question stuff like this when JerME aspires to be the next super-pastor.  They are both clueless.

• Love 7
(edited)
5 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I don't think they can have it both ways. 

"Oh, wowsie, I'm an influencer. Follow me! Watch me on TV! Listen to me on a podcast telling the Roloffs how our televised wedding and marriage provided Americans with one of the very few examples of such godly behavior they ever see. ... "

But, at the same time -- "Oh, let me off the hook for this tone deaf selfie that shows I have absolutely no sense of the proportion of things (even after I've bragged about visits to three Holocaust memorials/museums) .... because I'm poor little naive, uneducated, too-young me.....!" 

My feeling is -- If you're too young and naive and sheltered and ignorant to understand that maybe taking a phony-looking sad-face me-me-me selfie in a Holocaust museum is kind of off base and inappropriate -- and you don't realize that in a place like that you should perhaps just put away your camera-pointed-at-my-own-pretty-face for once -- then you're way too ignorant and dumb to put yourself forward as anybody's "influencer" or godly role model. 

I haven't actually seen any of the celebrity selfies in Holocaust memorials that I'm hearing of here, except one of a model that I saw once.  But given the narcissism and general idiocy of a lot of people who pass for celebrities, their existence doesn't surprise me. ....

I can say, though, that every selfie that I have seen taken in a Holocaust memorial of any kind has gotten roundly bashed by many people. (including the "celebrity" model's...) For the exact reasons people are stating here. 

So Jinge is far from the only person who's been criticized for doing this.

And I realize that she is doing this out of a kind of naivete that's way too common.

But when you want to be an "influencer" of millions -- and, in my opinion, especially when you want to be an influencer who's not a party girl but claims the mantle of moralist and theologian, as the Duggars and adjacents do --  then you'd better get past that naivete (which is curable, if you want to cure it) pretty quickly. Or else learn to suck it up when people criticize tone-deaf 21-st-century-narcissism-heavy nonsense you do. 

This is a brilliant post.  A well thought out, nuanced, explanation of why many feel the selfie should not have been seen by the public.  

If it was missed earlier today, it is a great read.

Edited by fonfereksglen
  • Love 17
4 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

The only thing that is real about Jeremy is his love for Jake the Cat. 

Do they still have that cat? I haven't seen him in their posts in ages.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

Do they still have that cat? I haven't seen him in their posts in ages.

We haven't seen any pictures of their "day to day" life besides being tourists. I would bet that Jake was probably left in Laredo but Jeremy has surprised me before. 

(edited)

With 65 current immediate family members between the two families (not counting the married in spouses) duplicate birthdays are going to start becoming the norm.

I didn't check, but Willow and Felicity can't be the first, can they?

Edit: haven't gotten around to comparing the families, but Carlin and Alyssa's daughter Allie Jane share a birthday; April 11th.

Edit edit: I was bored so I made a list.

There are three shared birthday days between the Duggar and Bates families: July 19 (Felicity Vuolo and Willow Balka), August 2nd (Jennifer Duggar and Callie Bates), and December 30th (Jedidiah and Jeremiah Duggars and Zach Bates).

No Duggar family members that aren't twins share a birthday, but several have gotten close.

The Bates family members have 4 shared birthdays between them: February 1st (Trace and Jeb), February 17th (Jackson and Addalee), April 11th (Carlin Bates and Allie Jane Webster), and November 9th (Alyssa Webster and Kade Smith).

Including spouses and Tyler you get 75 people.

If you add in spouses you get 3: March 19th (Warden Bates and Ben Seewald), September 9th (Judson Bates and Brandon Keilen), and December 21st (Jinger Vuolo and John Webster).

The least popular birth months: March and June (4 each). The most popular month: December (9).

Hmm. Apparently I like lists and data.

Edited by McManda
  • Useful 5
  • LOL 2
  • Love 13
52 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I dunno. That bunny with penises on its head creeps me out a bit. I'll see myself to the prayer closet. Again.

My eyes, my eyes!  I can’t unsee that now ;).

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

I dunno. That bunny with penises on its head creeps me out a bit. I'll see myself to the prayer closet. Again.

I noticed that right away too. 

I could make jokes that this gift came from Anna Duggar but I'm going to cross any lines...

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Absolom said:

It looks like Felicity had a nice little age appropriate celebration where she was the center of attention rather than being overrun and overshadowed by 157 "close" relations.

Yes, it's a refreshingly normal birthday picture from someone in the family. Poor Jill should take notes. 

• Love 19
(edited)

The bunny is from Cuddle and Kind.  It looks like the big one that sells for $72.  How can Josh and Anna afford a $72 birthday gift?  They have 5 soon to be 6 kids, and 8 soon to be 10 nieces and nephews (on the Duggar side, plus a ton more on Anna's side) , with no visible means of support.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 8

I'm glad Felicity had a cupcake for her "smash" cake instead of the trend of ruining a whole cake.

I was disappointed in Josie being an "influencer" for josiesboutique.  Does she own this shop?  I really hope she continues to persue her hair stylist career, once her baby is a little older.  Probably not though.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

The bunny is from Cuddle and Kind.  It looks like the big one that sells for $72.  How can Josh and Anna afford a $72 birthday gift?  They have 5 soon to be 6 kids, and 8 soon to be 10 nieces and nephews (on the Duggar side, plus a ton more on Anna's side) , with no visible means of support.

She probably got it for free and regifted it to Felicity. The company sent one to Felicity a while back.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, louannems said:

I'm glad Felicity had a cupcake for her "smash" cake instead of the trend of ruining a whole cake.

Me too. I hate seeing gigantic cakes get ruined. It's such a waste of food.

• Love 11
10 hours ago, Lunera said:

Screenshot_20190719-205642_Instagram-1080x1920.thumb.jpg.a9d46befe9820eaf009332137bef5df1.jpgScreenshot_20190719-205713_Instagram-1080x1920.thumb.jpg.cb94f1f2428b520b130c78e2861042ae.jpg

I like their outfits and Felicity looks so cute. 

Birthdays and birthday parties were always a huge deal in my family growing up, so I cannot fault a parent for going big (if they can afford it), but this simple celebration is refreshing (especially since they just moved to a new area and don’t know many people). 

The outfits Jinger and Jeremy are wearing fit my aesthetic for summer casual wear so that’s likely why I am enjoying the outfits. 

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I like their outfits and Felicity looks so cute. 

Birthdays and birthday parties were always a huge deal in my family growing up, so I cannot fault a parent for going big (if they can afford it), but this simple celebration is refreshing (especially since they just moved to a new area and don’t know many people). 

The outfits Jinger and Jeremy are wear fit my aesthetic for summer casual wear so that’s likely why I am enjoying the outfits. 

No chocolate mess?  I know these two are morons most of the time, but at least they aren't going to have so many kids that they don't know what to say on their birthday messages.

I'm so happy that Jinger is not in Arkansas and that she's trying new things.  Jeremy might be pretentious but at least he wants more than a passel of kids and a trailer on dad's land.

• Love 17
(edited)
11 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Penises and a head-flower. And leggings under two skirts....and a sweater to cover up its shoulders (a la the Josie shoulder incident...) 

So somebody made a Duggarling bunny? Bunnies have fur, people. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 14
  • Love 2